• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

zewone

IR blaster just fucking won

I'm just chilling here at the shop while my car gets worked on. The TV here was showing HGTV for some reason. The nice old man waiting with me asked a guy who works there if he could change the channel to CNN so he could watch the JV no one cares about candidates do their debate before Trump burns the Republican party to the ground later. The guy who works here couldn't find the remote.

No problem, I paused the game I was playing on my phone, opened that Smart Remote app on my phone, pointed my phone at the box, and changed the channel to CNN. EZPZ with built in IR blaster on my Note 4.

It's really nice at bars to change it to the game of my choice.

reKon

Banned
IR blaster just fucking won

I'm just chilling here at the shop while my car gets worked on. The TV here was showing HGTV for some reason. The nice old man waiting with me asked a guy who works there if he could change the channel to CNN so he could watch the JV no one cares about candidates do their debate before Trump burns the Republican party to the ground later. The guy who works here couldn't find the remote.

No problem, I paused the game I was playing on my phone, opened that Smart Remote app on my phone, pointed my phone at the box, and changed the channel to CNN. EZPZ with built in IR blaster on my Note 4.

will it get you bitches tho?

zewone

Ordered my OP2 Monday, of course it still hasn't shipped yet.

I bought mine brand new from a reseller after the market crashed.

I paid $400 which is basically the asking price and I didn't have to wait for an invite and he shipped it via Priority.

The quality of the phone is bananas at that price point.

jwk94

So I got my Moto X Pure Edition today.

Pros:
- No more worrying about storage due to the micro SD card slot
- screen looks beautiful
- battery life is good so far.
- Soft-touch back means it isn't as slippery as the Moto X 2014, but it doesn't feel as premium. =/
- Camera is fast and takes good pictures

Cons:
- They removed the chamfered edges! Nobody else has mentioned this! Why?! That was the best thing about the Moto X 2014. Now the edges are sharp and annoying
- Too big. This phone has no business being 5.7 inches. They should've gone with 5.5 or stayed with 5.1
- The dimple is more of a cosmetic thing now. The one on the Moto X was great because it looked nice and it really helped when holding the phone one-handed and making calls. This new dimple just looks kinda nice and doesn't really help much at all.
- You might as well forget about using this thing one handed without making sacrifices. I can't swype anymore, can't reach the notification shade without straining my hand. It's dumb.

Overall, I like the software, but the actual hardware is a step down from the Moto X 2014.

I really can't grasp why Moto went so big with the device. I can't even think of a good business reason. I guess they were going after the "so much screen and specs for such a low price!!!11" rather than the smarter approach of making a device more people can enjoy that also has good specs and price.

Then again considering the different devices for different regions and whatnot, whoever is their product marketing person really slept on this one.

thuway

I can't believe people are saying the screen on the new Moto X looks good. Moto screens have always been middling at best. I'm in the OLED Galaxy camp. I'm hoping they do a refresh to the Nexus 6 design - 6 inch Moto X with an OLED screen and updated optics.

Ordered my OP2 Monday, of course it still hasn't shipped yet.

What's funny about that is I never signed up an invite and I've never posted on their forums but Monday I had an invite, so fuck it I bought it. Will sell my Op1 when I recieve it.

Nice. I have another one coming. Ordered it Monday as well. It will probably ship out tonight or tomorrow. Usually takes 2-3 days and then they send it 2 day priority. The new software update for it should be out by then that improves camera and other things.

So it's really about waiting for Huawei Nexus due to the crappy Moto X Pure impressions in this thread?

Yes, I want a phablet. My 5.2 Moto X 2014 isn't enuff. I need that extra 0.3-0.5 inches!!!11111

I can't believe people are saying the screen on the new Moto X looks good. Moto screens have always been middling at best. I'm in the OLED Galaxy camp. I'm hoping they do a refresh to the Nexus 6 design - 6 inch Moto X with an OLED screen and updated optics.

Agreed. I think the screen is horrible. Has a yellow tint to it. Seems like they used a really low quality panel.

Bloodember

I bought mine brand new from a reseller after the market crashed.

I paid $400 which is basically the asking price and I didn't have to wait for an invite and he shipped it via Priority.

The quality of the phone is bananas at that price point.
Nice. Not sure why it takes so long for oneplus to ship the phones out this time. With the oneplus one I ordered it on a Monday and I had it Thursday, I was expecting at least two weeks, now with the 2 it looks like a two week wait.

Quasar

You just need a browser that supports it.

It's just Web based ad blocking, not system wide.

Yeah. And Apple wont be blocking app adds. This seems more about harming google and the open web and encouraging Apples walled off apps.

And speaking of Apple and iOS9, I'm pretty disappointed by the cross/inapp search. At least so far it seems outside Apple apps it only searches cached data from apps which makes it much less useful for searching into apps like Pinterest.

Nice. Not sure why it takes so long for oneplus to ship the phones out this time. With the oneplus one I ordered it on a Monday and I had it Thursday, I was expecting at least two weeks, now with the 2 it looks like a two week wait.

They are low on stock. Some people in the USA are even getting them shipped directly from their factory in China instead of coming from California like usual.

snacknuts

we all knew her

Pros:
- screen looks beautiful
- Soft-touch back means it isn't as slippery as the Moto X 2014, but it doesn't feel as premium. =/

Cons:
- They removed the chamfered edges! Nobody else has mentioned this! Why?! That was the best thing about the Moto X 2014. Now the edges are sharp and annoying
- Too big. This phone has no business being 5.7 inches. They should've gone with 5.5 or stayed with 5.1
- The dimple is more of a cosmetic thing now. The one on the Moto X was great because it looked nice and it really helped when holding the phone one-handed and making calls. This new dimple just looks kinda nice and doesn't really help much at all.
- You might as well forget about using this thing one handed without making sacrifices. I can't swype anymore, can't reach the notification shade without straining my hand. It's dumb.

Overall, I like the software, but the actual hardware is a step down from the Moto X 2014.

Pretty much my exact same thoughts. I want this year's software and camera in last year's device.

reKon

Banned
So if I hadn't decided to go with the Tab S2, then I wouldn't have been able to buy the higher Asus Zenpad S 8.0 until Novemeber?

What the fuck is Asus doing?

Bloodember

They are low on stock. Some people in the USA are even getting them shipped directly from their factory in China instead of coming from California like usual.
If they are low on stock they probably shouldn't be sending out invites. You should see their forums, people complaining about ship times and not getting invites, it's worse this time around than with the one. Honestly if I was oneplus I would close the forums because it cant be helping their reputation at all.

EmiPrime

I'm getting about 40 hour battery on M on an average day now. That's well up from getting through a day on Lollipop.

Hopefully they don't fuck it up in the full release this times but that 5 battery should be fine if they don't.

Yep Lollipop was a total disaster for battery but M has been amazing. I don't use social media on my phone and I have Google Now and location tracking off off so my use case might not be typical however I do always have bluetooth on and I easily last the day on heavy use and when I have a few days of light use I don't even bother charging it as I don't think it goes down more than 15% a day when it's in that super standby doze mode.

2700mah on the Nexus 5 2015 will be more than fine.

If they are low on stock they probably shouldn't be sending out invites. You should see their forums, people complaining about ship times and not getting invites, it's worse this time around than with the one. Honestly if I was oneplus I would close the forums because it cant be helping their reputation at all.

The worst is some people ordered after others and got their phones before people that ordered earlier. I have a feeling ours will ship tonight or tomorrow night though. Usually shipping notifications go out about 11pm est at night.

Bloodember

The worst is some people ordered after others and got their phones before people that ordered earlier. I have a feeling ours will ship tonight or tomorrow night though. Usually shipping notifications go out about 11pm est at night.
I hope so. I hate waiting for things I have paid for.

Wreav

Banned
Holy Christ, someone's legit shook today.

fxIFWYm.png

bTrQfcW.png

hitgirl

Pros:
- screen looks beautiful

Cons:

Yea. My thoughts. It's a good phone for the price better choice then one plus two, for sure.

Dimple works well for me.

No heat issues.

My nexus 7 is officially dead. Won't turn on, won't charge, won't nothing.

What's the closest sized worthy upgrade?

When is the new shield tablet out? Or any other recommendations?

Bloodember

My nexus 7 is officially dead. Won't turn on, won't charge, won't nothing.

What's the closest sized worthy upgrade?

When is the new shield tablet out? Or any other recommendations?
I dought Nvidia will update the shield tablet this year, probably next year at this time. The shield tablet is an awesome tablet and is updated to 5.1.1 and was just updated with fixes and other stuff last week. Best tablet ive owned.

Plus they are replacing the shield tablet with battery issues right now as well, got my replacement a while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom