• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreav

Banned
The main argument as far as I can tell in favor of Apple's implementation is that it might result in a faster Safari? I haven't seen all the benchmarks. But imo Android's is better system wide and more convenient for the user.

You're arguing the benefit of Android's open architecture, not their "system-wide" ad blocking features (which are only enabled by third parties).

Blackhead

Redarse
You're arguing the benefit of Android's open architecture, not their "system-wide" ad blocking features (which are only enabled by third parties).

?? iOS's Safari ad blocking features are only enabled by third parties as well. Apple opened up their architecture (Wifi-DNS, VPN and now Safari content blocking) but that's catchup to Android's obviously more open and flexible architecture.

g0tm1lk

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6/general/root-pingpongroot-s6-root-tool-t3103016
http://forum.xda-developers.com/ver...nt/root-guide-how-to-root-simplified-t3104094

To root the Verizon S6, you need to make sure you buy one which can still be exploited by Pingpong Root. That means it needs to still be on 5.0.1, or apparently an early 5.0.2 build. They patched it awhile back but I'm not sure if they are actually shipping new S6s with an updated build of Android yet. Whatever you do, do NOT put the SIM in the phone before you turn it on. You have to do Pingpong Root on it first and if you take any OTA updates from Verizon you will patch the exploit that makes it possible.

Really soon this won't matter and every android device using 5.1.1 pre stagefright patch should get root.

?? iOS's Safari ad blocking features are only enabled by third parties as well. Apple opened up their architecture (Wifi-DNS, VPN and now Safari content blocking) but that's catchup to Android's obviously more open and flexible architecture.

Not sure how open I'd call Android when it comes to content blocking if you can't do it in Chrome, but I guess that's just me.

EmiPrime

If I can block ads in Chrome without root (the monthly OTA security updates makes that impractical) then I am all ears.

The Adblock Plus app doesn't count, it sucks without root.

This entire conversation is so Android. Glad I could pay my $3 and move on with my life.

I'm an iOS user and did the same. I was just curious if Android users thought the implementation of content blocking in iOS is better than what Android offered. Turns out that they don't think it is.

Blackhead

Redarse
I was told like 8 posts up that you can't.

Uh. Nope. You can use a different browser, but that's it.

Adblock Plus. They pioneered the whole WiFi blocking non-root method.

This entire conversation is so Android. Glad I could pay my $3 and move on with my life.

lol, ok you're back to your usual shit.

I'm an iOS user and did the same. I was just curious if Android users thought the implementation of content blocking in iOS is better than what Android offered. Turns out that they don't think it is.

You were 'just curious' or you came in hear already claiming it was better:

Not to defend HUELEN10, because that guy makes tons posts that are completely baseless, but there is a difference between the way iOS handles ad blocking and having to root to do it on Android. iOS you just download a content blocker and you're all set. Easy to use for anyone (including my 65 year old father). What percentage of Android users even know how to root or know that you could ad block if you did?

If people consider having to root to get something working properly, then the argument that iOS is a locked down OS wouldn't be valid anymore since if you jailbreak it you can change tons of the things in the OS. With a jailbreak you can theme iOS and change the default apps, yet everyone says those options don't exist on iOS and have been for years with a jailbreak.

If you want to learn how Android works that's great, many here are happy to answer questions. I'm always happy to have a discussion of the differences between Android and iOS and which UI is better (I'm an iPhone user by the way). But if you come into the Android thread preaching ignorance then it's just shitting up the thread. *shrug*

Adblock Plus. They pioneered the whole WiFi blocking non-root.

lol, ok you're back to your usual shit.

You were 'just curious' or you came in hear already claiming it was better?

What about when you are on cellular data?

I was curious. I stated why I think it's better, it's just my opinion. Heaven forbid someone in an Android thread think that another company does one particular area better than Google currently does something.

If you want to learn how Android works that's great, many here are happy to answer questions. I'm always happy to have a discussion of the differences between Android and iOS and which UI is better (I'm an iPhone user by the way). But if you come into the Android thread preaching ignorance then it's just shitting up the thread. *shrug*

Not sure how I'm preaching ignorance and I know how Android works. I have plenty of experience with it. To the best of my knowledge you need to root to take full advantage of any ad blocking out there. Wifi and cellular, unless something has changed. I'm not sure how I am "shitting up the thread" by having an opinion about something and trying to have a rational conversation about it, but I will take my opinions somewhere less hostile.

Edit: Meant to say can't block ads on Chome over wifi and cellular without root.

Wreav

Banned
Android is serious business bro. You're only allowed to criticize it if you are using it daily. You must suffer to whinge.

Blackhead

Redarse
What about when you are on cellular data?

I was curious. I stated why I think it's better, it's just my opinion. Heaven forbid someone in an Android thread think that another company does one particular area better than Google currently does something.
Here is a more comprehensive method to block on cellular without root

It's completely fine to think Android's way isn't the best. My main quibble is when your opinion is born out of ignorance. If you don't know how Android works and only care about a feature when Apple implements it, is your opinion really an informed one that I should take seriously? *shrug*

Here is a more comprehensive method to block on cellular without root

It's completely fine to think Android's way isn't the best. My main quibble is when your opinion is born out of ignorance. If you don't know how Android works and only care about a feature when Apple implements it, is your opinion really an informed one that I should take seriously? *shrug*

Again, what am I missing here? "AdBlock Plus also works only with WiFi Networks and won’t be able to block ads while using a data connection." "Ad Barricade is dedicated to blocking ads from some of the major ad providers." None of that sounds like a comprehensive solution if you want to use Chrome as your browser. Going in and having to mess with DNS and proxy settings isn't something that your average user wants to do, and a lot might struggle to.

Blackhead

Redarse
Again, what am I missing here? "AdBlock Plus also works only with WiFi Networks and won’t be able to block ads while using a data connection." "Ad Barricade is dedicated to blocking ads from some of the major ad providers." None of that sounds like a comprehensive solution if you want to use Chrome as your browser.
Damn you keep moving the goalposts:
Right below App Barricade in that link:
Fool DNS

Fool DNS is dedicated to maintaining your privacy on the web. In addition to ad blocking, it also prevents third parties from tracking cookies and user profiling.
Does that answer your question that it's possible to block ads in Chrome on a cellular connection?

Going in and having to mess with DNS and proxy settings isn't something that your average user wants to do, and a lot might struggle to.

That's fair enough argument. But I don't think most average users ever set up any adblock solution themselves. Is your dad going to independently discover Peace for iOS or will you tell him about it and walk him through? I set up adblock on the desktop and mobile for most of my non-techsavvy relatives and putting a DNS address is not a huge obstacle (no different than putting in a DNS address so they can watch US Netflix from different regions actually).

Damn you keep moving the goalposts:
Right below App Barricade in that link:

Does that answer your question that it's possible to block ads in Chrome on a cellular connection?

That's fair enough argument. But I don't think most average users ever set up any adblock solution themselves. Is your dad going to independently discover Peace for iOS or will you tell him about it and walk him through? I set up adblock on the desktop and mobile for most of my non-techsavvy relatives and putting a DNS address is not a huge obstacle (no different than putting in a DNS address so they can watch US Netflix from different regions actually).

This is honestly the last thing I'll say about this. First, would someone like my dad fine Peace by himself? Maybe since it's a new product category and I'm sure you won't be able to miss it on the App Store front page for weeks to come. Would have I have walk him through it? I don't know because when you open a content blocker for the first time it give you the 2 step instructions to get it working. If I did have to walk him through it would it be easier than walking him through custom DNS settings, most certainly.

Speaking of custom DNS settings and Fool DNS..."But in order to use a custom DNS, you need to be connected to a WiFi network."

EmiPrime

Android ad blocking is far better than on iOS if you want to put in the work (root) as it can work across the OS not just the browser. Wifi only devices such as a tablet work well enough without root however. It would be nice if Chrome supported extensions so there was an easy to access ad blocking solution that worked on wifi and cellular without root.

Ad blocking on iOS is good enough for most though and easier to accomplish as long as you're okay with just using Safari.

Blackhead

Redarse
Speaking of custom DNS settings and Fool DNS..."But in order to use a custom DNS, you need to be connected to a WiFi network."

Not sure about on iOS (I think there are restrictions unless jailbroken) but on Android there are apps to change DNS with mobile too.

This is honestly the last thing I'll say about this. First, would someone like my dad fine Peace by himself? Maybe since it's a new product category and I'm sure you won't be able to miss it on the App Store front page for weeks to come. Would have I have walk him through it? I don't know because when you open a content blocker for the first time it give you the 2 step instructions to get it working. If I did have to walk him through it would it be easier than walking him through custom DNS settings, most certainly.
My problem is that the new hyped iOS content blocking apps only works in Safari. The workarounds like Marco's share sheet method are janky and I'd definitely have to walk a non tech savvy person through. Setup is not exactly smooth sailing either: just check the iOS9 thread this morning and there are GAF posters asking how to get the apps to work after downloading (answer: make sure to first turn it on in Settings app and then don't forget to launch the AppBlocker app to download and apply the lists) etc.

Anyway I agree iOS blocking is better if you narrowly compare Safari to Chrome. DNS editing is not as straightforwardly advertisied But, again, there are other methods on Android

snacknuts

we all knew her
In happier news, I've had my Moto X Pure for a couple days now and I'm very happy with everything about it except the size. If the Nexus 5-2/X/2015 has a good camera (lol), I'll probably return this.

linkboy

Seriously. There's going to be a lot of buyer's remorse in here unless M makes the Nexus 6 suck less.

OK, what's wrong with it? I'm currently using a Nexus 5 that's a laggy piece of shit. It's caused me to miss phone calls and I have to restart it almost consistently.

I don't have the time or patience to wait for a new phone, I need one asap, especially for my job.

Don't listen to the naysayers I'm really enjoying the phone so far. The screen looks great and is really bright so I have no idea what the original complaints were about, the phone is super fast and fluid, and battery life seems pretty good so far.

linkboy

Don't listen to the naysayers I'm really enjoying the phone so far. The screen looks great and is really bright so I have no idea what the original complaints were about, the phone is super fast and fluid, and battery life seems pretty good so far.

I'm not asking for much. I want a phone with a good amount of storage (64GB is plenty for me, currently have 32GB and it's nowhere close to being full), decent battery life and has a bigger screen since I sold my nexus 7 to a friend.

I'm not asking for much. I want a phone with a good amount of storage (64GB is plenty for me, currently have 32GB and it's nowhere close to being full), decent battery life and has a bigger screen since I sold my nexus 7 to a friend.

I'm too lazy to read this entire page but why not get a note 5?

linkboy

I'm too lazy to read this entire page but why not get a note 5?

Because I can't stand Samsung's phones. Every time I have used one, it drives me insane.

It's mostly TouchWiz. My parents and girlfriend have Notes and I love the S-pen, but I get so frustrated with TouchWiz and it makes me not want to use the phone. I much prefer stock Android over TouchWiz.

I'm leaving Korea in a few months so I want a phone that's unlocked, and I'm not paying full price for a phone that I'm not going to enjoy.

When I get back stateside, I'm going prepaid, either with cricket or straight talk. Paying $700 for an unlocked note 5 is out of my price range.

Because I can't stand Samsung's phones. Every time I have used one, it drives me insane.

It's mostly TouchWiz. My parents and girlfriend have Notes and I love the S-pen, but I get so frustrated with TouchWiz and it makes me not want to use the phone. I much prefer stock Android over TouchWiz.

I'm leaving Korea in a few months so I want a phone that's unlocked, and I'm not paying full price for a phone that I'm not going to enjoy.

When I get back stateside, I'm going prepaid, either with cricket or straight talk. Paying $700 for an unlocked note 5 is out of my price range.
Hm. Maybe the Huawei nexus will be up your alley. Wait for that. Big screen. Will likely have hefty battery. Run stock. I think it will be 32/64.

linkboy

Hm. Maybe the Huawei nexus will be up your alley. Wait for that. Big screen. Will likely have hefty battery. Run stock. I think it will be 32/64.

Already ordered the nexus 6.

$399 is about the max I can swing on a phone, which is why I narrowed my choices to the nexus 6 and the Moto X, and with the lg nexus coming out, there's no way the Huawei nexus will hit that price point.

So my options were to get a 16GB moto x, a 64GB nexus 6 or the lg nexus with a smaller screen (which I don't want).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom