• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
Because I can't stand Samsung's phones. Every time I have used one, it drives me insane.

It's mostly TouchWiz. My parents and girlfriend have Notes and I love the S-pen, but I get so frustrated with TouchWiz and it makes me not want to use the phone. I much prefer stock Android over TouchWiz.

I'm leaving Korea in a few months so I want a phone that's unlocked, and I'm not paying full price for a phone that I'm not going to enjoy.

When I get back stateside, I'm going prepaid, either with cricket or straight talk. Paying $700 for an unlocked note 5 is out of my price range.

Is using Nova Launcher for you out of the question?

I like how that seems to be a solutions that's ignored like it's almost out of principle..

linkboy

Is using Nova Launcher for you out of the question?

I like how that seems to be a solutions that's ignored like it's almost out of principle..

No, it's not. However, paying $700 is. I'm not in the USA, I can't get a phone through any of the US carriers, so I have to buy one that's unlocked (since buying a note here in Korea won't give me a phone that supports us lte bands). That severely limits my options.

If my nexus 5 wasn't being such a huge piece of shit, I'd honestly wait. However, I've missed phone calls due to the touchscreen not responding. It'll randomly just restart out of the blue. There's times where the entire phone will freeze and then go crazy to catch up. I get ghost touches where the phone does something entirely different then where I touched. I've tried different custom roms, I've flashed it back to stock and the same issues exist. Combine the fact that it's the international model, it does me no good stateside as it won't get lte. Throw in the pos battery life and it's a wonder I haven't put this thing through a wall yet.

Sooooo I've seen a lot of the Huawei nexus. Price is definitely going to be higher than lg nexus but not as high as last years nexus 6. There is a possibility it won't be much higher. Considering what I saw is Canadian dollars and our dollar is terrible right now. So I'm assuming it'll be less in the USA.

linkboy

Sooooo I've seen a lot of the Huawei nexus. Price is definitely going to be higher than lg nexus but not as high as last years nexus 6. There is a possibility it won't be much higher. Considering what I saw is Canadian dollars and our dollar is terrible right now. So I'm assuming it'll be less in the USA.

You don't want to price it to low as it would cut into sales of the 5x, but on the same token, the existence of the 5x gives Google a bit more flexibility with the price.

The big thing will be storage. Due to the lack of a SD card slot, 32GB has to be the minimum, 16GB isn't going to cut it (that gives the Moto X a huge advantage).

The OP2 is an awesome phone.

Some people should really unplug themselves from the negativity of this thread and it's hive mind.
I'm not particularly saying it's terrible, but I recall that Bobo previously ordered one and didn't like it so I'm not sure why he'd get another.

reKon

Banned
I think I'm going to replace my back up phone. I've got the Optimus F6 and I should be able to sell that on Swappa for $40-$60. Thinking about getting the 2nd Generation Moto E for use as my back up when :
1) travel overseas (depending on the location)
2) sell my primary phone and need a temp one
3) when my primary phone is in repair (my current situation)

Is there any other budget choices that's better for $99? That's what the LTE Moto E is selling for on Amazon right now.

Stop beating around the bush. How did it feel?

I'm not particularly saying it's terrible, but I recall that Bobo previously ordered one and didn't like it so I'm not sure why he'd get another.

I never said I didn't like it. I never used it because I decided to resell it for profit. I'm going to open and use this one. I might resell it too if I don't like it. I could still make $50 profit if I don't like it. From all impressions I think it will be great though. Apparently it's great except for the lack of NFC and early software..

Stop beating around the bush. How did it feel?
I saw a ton of it on paper lol. It did include pix tho. And some specs. And pricing. And launch date which I'm not mentioning because it might just be the date it comes to carriers in Canada and not the google play store. It's late october though.

Oh and the display is apparently AMOLED. Not sure how accurate that is but that's what it said.

I wonder if there is any way to emulate the chip? Probably not which is why it's more secure.
they're supposed to use private key crypto so i'm guessing to emulate the chip,. you'd have to decap it in acid and examine it under an electron microscope to get the key or something else time consuming and destructive like that. and it's a key unique to that card so it would just not financially be worthwhile...

Once chip and pin hits next month, I'm sure MST will get depreciated shortly after.
liability shift happens on the 1st, sooooo many places not ready. assuming the card vendors don't delay, shit's gonna be crazy.

You don't want to price it to low as it would cut into sales of the 5x, but on the same token, the existence of the 5x gives Google a bit more flexibility with the price.

The big thing will be storage. Due to the lack of a SD card slot, 32GB has to be the minimum, 16GB isn't going to cut it (that gives the Moto X a huge advantage).

if the margins are better, then that's absolutely what you want to do.

Hasney

I saw a ton of it on paper lol. It did include pix tho. And some specs. And pricing. And launch date which I'm not mentioning because it might just be the date it comes to carriers in Canada and not the google play store. It's late october though.

Oh and the display is apparently AMOLED. Not sure how accurate that is but that's what it said.

How's that paper feel? Good quality? Photo quality? Possibly even laminated?

Amoled is an awesome display so that's cool. Can't wait until the event.

Jzero

I can't believe the Nexus 6 is $350. I feel like a sucker for paying launch price. Anyway got my Nexus 6 speakers replaced, i don't hate the phone anymore (except the width).

reKon

Banned
I'm not a fan of these big phones, but when I held and played with the Nexus 6, it will did feel great and snappy. If only stock android had Touch Wiz like multiwindow, it would be one of those phablets that you just can just use for the next 3+ years and not worry about anything

I'm not a fan of these big phones, but when I held and played with the Nexus 6, it will did feel great and snappy. If only stock android had Touch Wiz like multiwindow, it would be one of those phablets that you just can just use for the next 3+ years and not worry about anything
I'm a-okay with big phones. (Anything over 6 inches is pushing it though.)

Even though this nexus 6 with fingerprint scanner is probably a prototype it does give a glimpse of how it will be in the 2016 moto x phone(S).

CPHkKfWWIAAa1qs.jpg

yep.

Amazon corroborates this news.
so rememeber when i said this?
can we finally say the tablet market is done?

Tab S2 with last years SoC. iPad Mini 4 with last years SoC and no new iPad SWM. PC makers tossing out tablets with the free Atoms they got fro Intel. Nobody else even pretending to try...
more bad news. the iPad Mini 4 has an A8, not an A8X.

"so what's the ipad mini 4? well simply, we've taken the power and performance of iPad Air 2 and built it into an ever smaller mini enclosure at just 0.65lbs. incredibly powerful and yet small and light."
can't even trust Apple nowadays.

RIP tablet market.
$50 Mediateks?

tablets are over.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
New Chromecast leaked: http://9to5google.com/2015/09/17/ex...-w-backdrop-feeds-better-wifi-fast-play-more/

new-chromecast.png

The media streamer will allegedly come with a "feeds" option through which you can select content or image feeds that will show up on the home screen. Also new is a Fast Play mode, which allows the Chromecast to establish a connection and play content from connected devices faster than before.

Another new addition is dubbed Chromecast Audio, through which you'll be able to connect the Chromecast to your standard speaker via an auxiliary cable, allowing you to then stream content from a connected device. The feature will allegedly offer support for multi-room playback, along with high-quality audio. Spotify is also expected to announce Chromecast support during the unveil.

will buy 3 again

Really soon this won't matter and every android device using 5.1.1 pre stagefright patch should get root.

If you're actually claiming that Stagefright will result in a universal root, well I'll believe it when I see it. It is extremely hard to exploit Stagefright in a consistent manner because of how Android sandboxing and memory address obfuscation works. That's why there still isn't any Android Security Apocalypse going on right now even though nearly a billion devices worldwide are vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom