• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodember

New Chromecast leaked: http://9to5google.com/2015/09/17/ex...-w-backdrop-feeds-better-wifi-fast-play-more/

new-chromecast.png

will buy 3 again
Yeah, that's quite hideous. What the hell.

Bloodember

Will probably ship tonight or tomorrow then. It seems some people are getting theirs from China and some from California, so yours might be from California.
That'd be nice. We'll see, if not they do say delivery within 6-10 days so the latest by that is next Thursday. That's what my email from them said anyway, like I said we'll see.

giga

Are they seriously not going to include a remote and turn it into a mini android tv stick? Come on. Having to use your phone is the worst part of the chromecast.

Hell yes, finally.

Are they seriously not going to include a remote and turn it into a mini android tv stick? Come on. Having to use your phone is the worst part of the chromecast.
Then it'd just be like every other set top box. Using a phone or tablet to control it is one of the best things about Chromecast. No need to mess with a tv interface.

giga

Hell yes, finally.

Then it'd just be like every other set top box. Using a phone or tablet to control it is one of the best things about Chromecast. No need to mess with a tv interface.
Do you know how cumbersome it is to open the app every time you want to pause or skip/rewind? It sucks. It needs voice search too.

Quasar

Well I consider it a feature not a bug. Hell its the whole point of Chromecast.

HawkeyeIC

I expected the worst, but the lollipop update for my 2013 motox has been great. I might not even have to buy a transitional phone in the skip year and just hold out til 2016.

Do you know how cumbersome it is to open the app every time you want to pause or skip/rewind? It sucks. It needs voice search too.
Once you cast something, you get a notification with those controls, so you can simply turn the screen on and play/pause/whatever from the lock screen. And if you decide you want to watch out listen to something else, it's singingly easier and quicker to type/search on a mobile device than with a remote. The whole point of Chromecast is speed and simplicity.

giga

Once you cast something, you get a notification with those controls, so you can simply turn the screen on and play/pause/whatever from the lock screen. And if you decide you want to watch out listen to something else, it's singingly easier and quicker to type/search on a mobile device than with a remote. The whole point of Chromecast is speed and simplicity.
That's still not as fast as a dedicated remote. There's no unlocking involved and the controls are actually tactile, so you're not forced to look at the phone screen. And while typing is faster on your phone, it's not as fast as using your voice with a remote.

tzare

i do it from notification panel. What are you talking about?
Voice search could be nice but that would be something to change in ANdroid/google now or the app itself, not the device itself wouldn't it?

That's still not as fast as a dedicated remote. There's no unlocking involved and the controls are actually tactile, so you're not forced to look at the phone screen. And while typing is faster on your phone, it's not as fast as using your voice with a remote.

You should have a chat with Bboy AJ, the guy who thinks that IR is obsolete and nothing should use it anymore

Husker86

So I just set up 2-step authentication on my Microsoft Account...hot damn, the way it works is so nice. You get an actionable push notification to approve/disapprove. Seems like it can fall back to a code as well, so there doesn't seem to be a downside.

Really slick implementation.

I agree, voice search would be nice, and indeed faster in some instances, but honestly, the whole remote thing just isn't what Chromecast is about. What you're wanting/describing is essentially Android TV. It does everything the Chromecast does, but with a more fleshed out, 'smart tv' feature set and experience.

So I just set up 2-step authentication on my Microsoft Account...hot damn, the way it works is so nice. You get an actionable push notification to approve/disapprove. Seems like it can fall back to a code as well, so there doesn't seem to be a downside.

Yeah, I wish Google's authenticator would work the same way.

tzare

I agree, voice search would be nice, and indeed faster in some instances, but honestly, the whole remote thing just isn't what Chromecast is about. What you're wanting/describing is essentially Android TV. It does everything the Chromecast does, but with a more fleshed out, 'smart tv' feature set and experience.

yup, sometimes i also wish chromecast was able to do some extra things, but there are a number of android tv/sticks that do that for cheap.
The only thing i would add to Chromecast would be ability to stream from local media (and support more codecs) that would make it almost perfect , not a problem at home but if you are without internet (trip) , and also wouldn't need to run a media server like Plex.

Yeah, it's really nice. I just set it up and installed the appa couple of weeks ago when I made a new Xbox Live account. It's definitely a better implementation than Google's.

yup, sometimes i also wish chromecast was able to do some extra things, but there are a number of android tv/sticks that do that for cheap.
The only thing i would add to Chromecast would be ability to stream from local media (and support more codecs) that would make it almost perfect , not a problem at home but if you are without internet (trip) , and also wouldn't need to run a media server like Plex.
No local media streaming is my biggest gripe with Chromecast. I use a third party app to do it currently, but I'd prefer if Google added support for that themselves. I'd also like to be able to cast directly to the Chromecast without the need for an actual connection to a the internet or a router. Something like WiFi direct. Streaming local media seems to still eat into my data cap at home.

----

Completely off-topic, but if any of you fine folks have the game Sound Shapes, check out my level, Colossal. I just found out they added some new "albums" made from community levels for the game's anniversary, and Jim Guthrie picked my level for his.

Reckoner

Even though this nexus 6 with fingerprint scanner is probably a prototype it does give a glimpse of how it will be in the 2016 moto x phone(S).

That's the only OEM I can support placing the fingerprint sensor on the back because it actually makes a little sense.

Btw, sell me on the chromecast guys. I know nothing about it. Does it have an app store? Can I watch twitch on tv or only with that air play thing?

Mindwipe

It's much faster than a dedicated remote, because 99% of the time I would have no idea where the remote is, whereas I always, always know where my phone is (in my arse pocket).

I have an Amazon Fire TV and a Chromecast, and I use the Chromecast way more often because I don't need to find the remote.

Mindwipe

That's the only OEM I can support placing the fingerprint sensor in the bad because it actually makes a little sense.

Btw, sell me on the chromecast guys. I know nothing about it. Does it have an app store? Can I watch twitch on tv or only with that air play thing?

You don't install any apps on it. It's a device for pushing content from your tablet, mobile or PC to the TV, but it's not a mirror (except for a clunky fallback). The Netflix, or YouTube, or somesuch phone app tells the Chromecast your authentication and what you're trying to watch and the device gets the stream directly itself. And then the relevant app gives you remote control, including through an actionable notification.

giga

You should have a chat with Bboy AJ, the guy who thinks that IR is obsolete and nothing should use it anymore
I agree with him.

Exactly. I want a fire tv stick competitor because whenever friends or family ask what cheap stick they should get, I almost always know they would prefer a remote with voice capabilities too.

It's much faster than a dedicated remote, because 99% of the time I would have no idea where the remote is, whereas I always, always know where my phone is (in my arse pocket).

I have an Amazon Fire TV and a Chromecast, and I use the Chromecast way more often because I don't need to find the remote.
You are odd. I have both too, and their remotes always stay in one place--the coffee table. My phone on the other hand could be anywhere, like my office or kitchen.

Hasney

You are odd. I have both too, and their remotes always stay in one place--the coffee table. My phone on the other hand could be anywhere, like my office or kitchen.

No, YOU'RE ODD.

Seriously though, people in my house have a habit of letting remotes slide down the sofa. My phone is always with me though,

UrbanRats

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask.

I was looking at android tablets, and in particular at the 8" Galaxy Tab S, and i'm losing my mind over how many (seemingly all called the same, T700 for WiFi only) version there, all with wildly different prices, i've seen from 269€ to over 400€.

I assume some are older versions, but i can't find a clear way to distinguish them.

Only thing is, some seem to have a small speaker at the very top, and some don't.

Speaker.
No speaker.

Assuming that's even a speaker, actually.

I'm sure i'm missing something very obvious here.

tzare

You don't install any apps on it. It's a device for pushing content from your tablet, mobile or PC to the TV, but it's not a mirror (except for a clunky fallback). The Netflix, or YouTube, or somesuch phone app tells the Chromecast your authentication and what you're trying to watch and the device gets the stream directly itself. And then the relevant app gives you remote control, including through an actionable notification.

Exactly. PLus can be used by any smartphonetablet/nearby, too, and can stream some local content too , for example i have a Plex server on a Minix fanless & low cost Windows PC , but you can also cast Chrome tabs (or even full screen cast, still beta) from other PC/laptom in same Wlan.
It is great for Youtube, Netflix, Plex and Play music, and rumours say spotify will be added later this month too. Check compatible apps at chromecast support website.
It also uses HDMI CeC (i think it is called like that) so even if you are watching TV, your TV will automatically switch to HDMI input where Chromecast is connected.

Only complains are sometimes a little slow to start apps (5-6 seconds) and no native access to local content (and limited codec compatiility, so a media server that converts on the fly, like plex, is needed, for example to watch avi movies)

But for the price it is a great little device.

It's a half a century old technology. It needs to end. Like aux cables.

most devices that use IR could have switched to Bluetooth or a similar wireless protocols, but haven't, so there must be a reason for that. In fact it is easier for me since my smartphone has ir blaster to control all devices, multiple TVs, AC, AV receiver from a single device,so it makes sense to include it , at least for now.

g0tm1lk

If you're actually claiming that Stagefright will result in a universal root, well I'll believe it when I see it. It is extremely hard to exploit Stagefright in a consistent manner because of how Android sandboxing and memory address obfuscation works. That's why there still isn't any Android Security Apocalypse going on right now even though nearly a billion devices worldwide are vulnerable.

It is not hard to exploit Stagefright. ASLR as implemented right now by the android security team is mainly a gimmick, and since we can exploit the media server through something like chrome we can brute force it until we get the address we need to not crash. After that you need to escalate to UID 0 and bypass SE Linux, you can do the former with CVE-2015-3636. I've been told there are working root exploits using stagefright and I'm sure they'll be public soon.

Check the last post.

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask.

I was looking at android tablets, and in particular at the 8" Galaxy Tab S, and i'm losing my mind over how many (seemingly all called the same, T700 for WiFi only) version there, all with wildly different prices, i've seen from 269€ to over 400€.

I assume some are older versions, but i can't find a clear way to distinguish them.

Only thing is, some seem to have a small speaker at the very top, and some don't.

Speaker.
No speaker.

Assuming that's even a speaker, actually.

I'm sure i'm missing something very obvious here.

pic with the earpiece on top is of the LTE version. notice it also has the proximity sensor.

That's the only OEM I can support placing the fingerprint sensor on the back because it actually makes a little sense.

You don't think LG having a back fingerprint sensor would make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom