• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

No, please educate me you vague genius.

Edit: just read about it. But that won't help if Google doesn't include a MicroSD card slot

Last Nexus to include an SD card slot was this

20120617T091817.jpg

Been a while.
Doubt they will change their stance on it.

I wonder if google's been hiding some Marshmallow features for the event.
I hope so. Maybe they've finally finished their multi-window implementation and added the theme engine that's been in AOSP for a long ass time now. Even without those though, Marshmallow seems to be a good release with a lot of under the hood changes.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
M is the best release since L. They brought the mobile OS world to the future. Fantastic design and power options all around. N can be more iterative. I don't care right now because there aren't any major bumps. I just want backups to work perfectly. And multiwindow.

I won't be disappointed either way (assuming they didn't screw M up since the last release) but I feel like they may be holding 1 or 2 things back. Guess we shall see.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I won't be disappointed either way (assuming they didn't screw M up since the last release) but I feel like they may be holding 1 or 2 things back. Guess we shall see.

When has Google ever done that? That's Apple.

reKon

Banned
M is the best release since L. They brought the mobile OS world to the future. Fantastic design and power options all around. N can be more iterative. I don't care right now because there aren't any major bumps. I just want backups to work perfectly. And multiwindow.

These are the two most important things other than battery life optimization. And we know for sure that there's already going to be full fingerprint support with the new API as well as Android Pay already becoming a thing. The improved google now is just an icing on the cake. I just want all my current devices to at least make it to Android M and I won't care about any significant updates for the next 3 years.

Wreav

Banned
The hype is getting goofy. Fingerprint is the best thing coming, and that's just catch up.

You ain't getting multi window this year.

HUELEN10

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=179101804&postcount=898

I mean, I know it's
HUELEN10
, but the Reality Distortion Field is strong as fuck when you don't actually realize people figured out ad blocking on Android almost right after the first Android phone ever was rooted.

It's Joy Of Tech, it's simply a comic, one I had no part in making; I'm just a big fan of it, nothing more.

And yes, no distortion field here, and yes, the comic people jest about that too.

Bloodember

Holy Schiit, my Oneplus 2 actually shipped today and I'll have it Monday, says the DHL tracking. We'll see, since it's still in China.

Knight77

Dear Gaffers I need your help.

It's like two or three weeks that me and my wife we have a problem with our nexus 9 (not our Android phones): when we browse internet doesn't matter the website we have this redirect shit redirecting our browsing to some website/page that give us warning and many times also makes the tablet vibrate. There's no way out, you cannot go back, you have to close the tab and retype the website address you wanted to reach. It also happens many times when you see an article linked in facebook (maybe the whole thing started from there) and you click to get the whole article page.

I tried to clean the cache, the data, tried also with firefox, tried some cleaner app from playstore...NOTHING. I also tried AdBlock but it doesn't solve the problem (anyway I didn't root the tablet).

I checked the browser history and looks like the final page of this spam is different but many times the redirecting start from "onclickads.net" , like...

I want to browse the good "http://www.flatpanelshd.com/" type it, then right before showing the whole page it immediately forward to onlclickads.net (I cannot even see that page) and it goes to the get-stuck-with-shit-ads page. But some times it skip the onlineclickads.net thing and go to the final point.

I took some screenshots to give you an idea... hope you can help, otherwise I'll have to make tabula rasa and format data etc... very boring.

MarkusRJR

So my friend blew my mind today: She couldn't write all the physics notes in her class because the uni prof was too fast, so she used her phone to take pictures of each slide, allowing her to actually listen to the lecture. Then she copied the notes onto paper afterwards to sink the ideas into her head and create proper notes.

As someone who writes really slowly this sounds super convenient. Can't believe I've never thought of it before. Are there any apps dedicated to this sort of use case? Would love to create organized folders for each class + day.

Worried a bit about battery life though.

Jigolo

820 releasing early next year makes me happy. 2016 Nexus will be cheap and have that (or 821) for October at $400ish dollars :)))

kami_sama

Dear Gaffers I need your help.

It's like two or three weeks that me and my wife we have a problem with our nexus 9 (not our Android phones): when we browse internet doesn't matter the website we have this redirect shit redirecting our browsing to some website/page that give us warning and many times also makes the tablet vibrate. There's no way out, you cannot go back, you have to close the tab and retype the website address you wanted to reach. It also happens many times when you see an article linked in facebook (maybe the whole thing started from there) and you click to get the whole article page.

I tried to clean the cache, the data, tried also with firefox, tried some cleaner app from playstore...NOTHING. I also tried AdBlock but it doesn't solve the problem (anyway I didn't root the tablet).

I checked the browser history and looks like the final page of this spam is different but many times the redirecting start from "onclickads.net" , like...

I want to browse the good "http://www.flatpanelshd.com/" type it, then right before showing the whole page it immediately forward to onlclickads.net (I cannot even see that page) and it goes to the get-stuck-with-shit-ads page. But some times it skip the onlineclickads.net thing and go to the final point.

I took some screenshots to give you an idea... hope you can help, otherwise I'll have to make tabula rasa and format data etc... very boring.
I've found this http://androidforums.com/threads/android-chrome-redirection-virus-malware-adware.878655/
If it doesn't work, I would make a factory reset. You can always make a backup of app settings.

reKon

Banned
So my friend blew my mind today: She couldn't write all the physics notes in her class because the uni prof was too fast, so she used her phone to take pictures of each slide, allowing her to actually listen to the lecture. Then she copied the notes onto paper afterwards to sink the ideas into her head and create proper notes.

As someone who writes really slowly this sounds super convenient. Can't believe I've never thought of it before. Are there any apps dedicated to this sort of use case? Would love to create organized folders for each class + day.

She should just buy a Surface and use the record feature in one note while typing and writing notes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aEb573aGQpA

For quick notetaking from a phone, nothing gets better than this in terms of convenience and conversion from analog to digital

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmpMpOBxoB8

3phemeral

For quick notetaking from a phone, nothing gets better than this in terms of convenience and conversion from analog to digital

This is great. I use camscanner for this so I was about to suggest that but after watching that video, I don't think cam scanner converts the text into a vector and neither does it allow you to crop/move sections of the image and adjust those selections within itself.

[edit] It's Note 4 only. :-/ I wonder if XDA has a working apk of this.

I'm a few days of buying the Z3C and my question is this: Does the camera improve with updates? Because I've been looking comparisons and even the M4 Aqua has some edge over the Z3C.

Fuck, battery life better worth it.

It's become far from incredible with their lollipop update. I used to make it through a day with ~30% left and now I have to charge before my evening walk to make sure it doesn't die. Maybe 4 hours screen time on an 18 hour day?

I hope you have different experience, because it has always seemed like my Z3c gets the short end of the stick with battery.

It's become far from incredible with their lollipop update. I used to make it through a day with ~30% left and now I have to charge before my evening walk to make sure it doesn't die. Maybe 4 hours screen time on an 18 hour day?

I hope you have different experience, because it has always seemed like my Z3c gets the short end of the stick with battery.

4 hours???? That's abysmal

battest.jpg
I'm expecting something like this.

jokkir

Welp, I dropped my Nexus 4 and it's almost on it's death bed. Hopefully the new Nexus doesn't disappoint or else I'll get the Moto X Play for the battery (or the Moto G)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
She should just buy a Surface and use the record feature in one note while typing and writing notes.

That video doesn't really help explain it. The great thing with recording a lecture with one note is that any notes you take are also time stamped, so if you click on a note you've written, you can also listen to what the lecturer was saying at that time for context. You can also have the audio transcribed to text so it can be searched.

I don't know if there is anything like that on android (or iOS)?

reKon

Banned
That video doesn't really help explain it. The great thing with recording a lecture with one note is that any notes you take are also time stamped, so if you click on a note you've written, you can also listen to what the lecturer was saying at that time for context. You can also have the audio transcribed to text so it can be searched.

I don't know if there is anything like that on android (or iOS)?

he explains and shows that exact feature in the video

a new surface 4 would be interesting. If it has good battery life and makes improvements in all every areas, I think it's by far the best student device. The amount of MBA's and MBP's I saw on campus when I was still in school was insane to me. The MBA was completely understandable as it's been the best ultrabook for a while now, but the MBP was straight up stupid purchase decision lol. Then the same people would complain about student expenses, bills, etc.

EmiPrime

128GB on a tablet might be quite nice but on a phone I really don't see the appeal.

32GB is still the sweet spot in cost/benefit on a phone.

Mindwipe

The only thing I guess Google could surprise people with on Android M's release is Google Play closed replacements for some more of the stock apps launching at the same time.

A Google Dialer and Google Contacts app wouldn't be completely out of left field at this point. And obviously it would never have been obvious in AOSP. Since they'd have never been in AOSP.

128GB on a tablet might be quite nice but on a phone I really don't see the appeal.

32GB is still the sweet spot in cost/benefit on a phone.

I share the same view

Actually because I take more pictures and now 4k video I need much more space on my phone than I do my tablet. What do you guys fill your tablet up with? I bought the 32gb nexus 10 at launch and have never really filled that space at all. I would have been fine with the 16gb.

I keep missing out on deals for the N9 but if I find one at $240 or lower and its still in stock I'm gonna go for it as the N10 is just about on its lag legs at some points. Web browsing on it is getting slower and slower, and now it doesn't even get the M upgrade.

Can someone please try to help me. I have a K3 note and it is on a clean nexus ROM. The date is shown numerical in the quick settings bar like this:

2b8IuKt.jpg

And I want it to look normal like this:

gXu93fb.jpg

Is there someway to change it? I am rooted. Maybe a file to edit or something? I am assuming the fix would be fairly easy if I knew where to look.

Have you checked Settings - Date and Time? There should be an option to change the format of the date.

a new surface 4 would be interesting. If it has good battery life and makes improvements in all every areas, I think it's by far the best student device. The amount of MBA's and MBP's I saw on campus when I was still in school was insane to me. The MBA was completely understandable as it's been the best ultrabook for a while now, but the MBP was straight up stupid purchase decision lol. Then the same people would complain about student expenses, bills, etc.

That reminds me of an eBay auction I've seen last week. Student was selling a new Surface Pro 3, i5/128GB for 850, Buy It Now. Reason? It was a gift and he already has an iPad and doesn't need it.

If it wasn't so close to the SP4 launch, I would've bought it.

reKon

Banned
That reminds me of an eBay auction I've seen last week. Student was selling a new Surface Pro 3, i5/128GB for 850, Buy It Now. Reason? It was a gift and he already has an iPad and doesn't need it.

If it wasn't so close to the SP4 launch, I would've bought it.

smh

eh the macbook pro is a better bang for the buck in my opinion. The Macbook are smaller then the air and the weight/performance/price tips in favor of the MBP. The MBP are so slim now, honestly I think the Airs are sort of in a weird limbo.

MarkusRJR

Wow is there an app similar to that that would work on my LG G4? Or has no one thought to rip off that app?

I think my friend has a Note 4 so maybe she even does this. If not I'll tell her about it now!

Sounds cool for a history or science class. Not necessarily sure it'd be all that helpful in regards to the math classes I'll be taking.

Do those note taking features carry over to the normal Surface 3 or are they exclusive to the Surface 3 Pro?

reKon

Banned
eh the macbook pro is a better bang for the buck in my opinion. The Macbook are smaller then the air and the weight/performance/price tips in favor of the MBP. The MBP are so slim now, honestly I think the Airs are sort of in a weird limbo.

We're talking about students here. The number one most important thing other than battery life and durability is performance. How much performance does a typical student typically need to require a MBP? MBA is definitely the better fit as it gets some of the best battery life out of all laptops, it's more portable, and it gives more than enough performance.

When you look at the landscape today though for a student, I think it's a battle between the MBA, Dell XPS 13, and Surface Pro 4/Surface 3. Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 take the lead because of the unique features there that students can take advantage of. I would even go further to say that the Dell XPS could be seen as better pick than the MBA because it straight up looks better, it's smaller device, has a better and higher resolution IPS display, and the non-touch screen version delivers class leading battery life. MBA probably has the better trackpad though.

Wow is there an app similar to that that would work on my LG G4? Or has no one thought to rip off that app?

I think my friend has a Note 4 so maybe she even does this. If not I'll tell her about it now!

Sounds cool for a history or science class. Not necessarily sure it'd be all that helpful in regards to the math classes I'll be taking.

Do those note taking features carry over to the normal Surface 3 or are they exclusive to the Surface 3 Pro?

Did you watch the video...? The Surface includes a Stylus which can be used to skretch, draw, and make written notes within a variety of programs, especially One Note. They've basically designed the stylus around this very program with those button shortcuts on the pen. You can easily take notes in math class while recording, except you'll have infinite space to do so on one continuous page rather than sifting through your note pads.

The device you saw in that video was a regular $500 surface. The main difference between the two is that the surface pro actually has a lot more power because it runs on Intel's i3, i5, and i7 processors like the many other competing ultrabooks. I think the keyboard is an extra $130 so you're like at a $630 device. Perhaps it will go down in price when the Surface 4 comes out if they are also going to launch that in October and not just the pro model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom