• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
I'm going to laugh when my Moto E that I'm using right now gets Android M faster than _______. It's nice to have a near Nexus like device again. I don't really mind the specs either since it's just a back up device, but 5.1.1 does run smooth on this thing. Screen is sharp too, but the colors look like ass comparable to a nice AMOLED. The only bad thing about AMOLED's though is the pentile effect being very visible on the font when looking at dark web sites. It is pretty distracting on my Tab S2.

Yeah I've owned both and I've never really been disappointed with LCD. A nice display is a nice display. OLED is definitely going to be on all/most smartphones in the future though.

I'm going to laugh when my Moto E that I'm using right now gets Android M faster than _______. It's nice to have a near Nexus like device again. I don't really mind the specs either since it's just a back up device, but 5.1.1 does run smooth on this thing. Screen is sharp too, but the colors look like ass comparable to a nice AMOLED. The only bad thing about AMOLED's though is the pentile effect being very visible on the font when looking at dark web sites. It is pretty distracting on my Tab S2.

2 gig version?

Pachimari

Nova Launcher has the ability to do the badges.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.notifier&hl=en

1tah0aXVdiStO-1orRWsTWn03JS-bZzHecyuPyZ3yekR76Waxo_wlKj-WNEq-tGDMZ0=h900-rw

I don't get notifications on my Facebook apps. :(

KevinCow

Banned
Is there seriously no way to silence group chats on Android?

I've been Googling this for the past 30 or so minutes and the only thing I've found is that there used to be an app called GroupXit, which apparently no longer exists.

This is annoying the shit out of me. Every few seconds, my phone freaks the fuck out because I got a new message, but every time I check the message it's just somebody saying something completely useless in a conversation I don't want to be a part of.

I've been Googling this for the past 30 or so minutes and the only thing I've found is that there used to be an app called GroupXit, which apparently no longer exists.

This is annoying the shit out of me. Every few seconds, my phone freaks the fuck out because I got a new message, but every time I check the message it's just somebody saying something completely useless in a conversation I don't want to be a part of.
Hangout. And mute the chat

What messenger are you using? There are multiple and most phones come with different ones.

reKon

Banned
2 gig version?

There's no 2 GB version of the Moto E, only 1 GB. Lollipop still runs very smooth on this near stock Moto skin. I'm actually really impressed at the lack of stuttering and overall performance. Keep in mind though that I'm not usually heavy on multitasking on phones because I usually only need a few tabs in browsers and maybe google music, snapchat, hangouts, and my work e-mail app, and a few others running in the background. I'm sure I actually pushed this phone like my Xperia, everything would go to shit. But it's doing everything I need it to and it's one of the only budget LTE phones priced at $100 (I got this for $50 though).

There's no 2 GB version of the Moto E, only 1 GB. Lollipop still runs very smooth on this near stock Moto skin. I'm actually really impressed at the lack of stuttering and overall performance. Keep in mind though that I'm not usually heavy on multitasking on phones because I usually only need a few tabs in browsers and maybe google music, snapchat, hangouts, and my work e-mail app, and a few others running in the background. I'm sure I actually pushed this phone like my Xperia, everything would go to shit. But it's doing everything I need it to and it's one of the only budget LTE phones priced at $100 (I got this for $50 though).

Read it as Moto G, my bad lol

data

Is Motorola not selling the 16GB Moto G in Europe? I can't find it anywhere, and the official site just links me to other stores that only have the 8GB version.

Why the hell do samsung phones use that horrendous font? Every time I see it, I have to look at my phone and look at the stock one.
they didn't.

they have a silly font, but it's not Comic Sans. i used the actual Comic Sans by converting the Windows font to a FlipFont, which Samsung devices support.

reKon

Banned
I'm just going to be disappointed on the 29th because they will just announce that Marshmallow is coming 3-4 weeks later to Nexus devices or something. That means probably 8 weeks until my Moto E gets it and 3 months 3.5 until my Xperia gets it.

Wreav

Banned
I'm just going to be disappointed on the 29th because they will just announce that Lollipop is coming 3-4 weeks later to Nexus devices or something. That means probably 8 weeks until my Moto E gets it and 3 months 3.5 until my Xperia gets it.
Battered Android Syndrome

tzare

So you want type C to be included by everyone before you adopt it, but don't want Google to adopt it because no one uses it? Someone's got to do it dude.

Ehh, he can be a bro

screen-shot-2014-08-11-at-8-50-40-am.png
I want every one using it at once, including Google. Not 4-5 years until all devices use it and having to carry multiple chargers.
If nexus is now type C and all smartphones next year are too then okay for me.

I want every one using it at once, including Google. Not 4-5 years until all devices use it and having to carry multiple chargers.
If nexus is now type C and all smartphones next year are too then okay for me.

I'm still confused. You said you hope the Nexus duo didn't have type C yet and your reason is no one uses it, but you're fine of everyone starts using it now? I mean someone has to be the second to take it up and Google is touting it's support as one of the main features in Marshmallow. Expect most if not all Android phones for next year to have it.

Reckoner

Jazzy knows what's up. OLED is objectively better than LCD. It's not even up for debate. The best LCD screens don't even come close.

I don't like saturated colors, so I still prefer LCD screens. Samsung AMOLEDs are well calibrated generally though, but I wouldn't buy a Samsung phone right now.

Btw is sad what Moto is becoming. I was really hyped and supporting them one year ago, but I'm at a point where I'd rather buy a Samsung phone than a Moto. :(

I think you overestimate the general public's tech hungriness/giving a single shitness

It's more of a checklist feature for the manufacturers and less about the consumer. How else are these Android manufacturers going to compete? OnePlus was so desperate to have it, that they basically faked it, just so they could say "We have Type C!".

I think you overestimate the general public's tech hungriness/giving a single shitness
it's not up to the general public. These companies all have agreements and consortiums and what have you. It's easier on the manufacturing process as well if everyone is doing the same thing. The companies are going to do it with or without the public caring. And when it happens it'll be like not having a feature that everyone else has (lol NFC OP2).

I'm shocked to see any new device not have type C.
I think that's what I said.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
They're as delusional as One Plus and their consumers.

You're going to be shocked a lot for the next two years or so.
I don't think so. I think the vast majority will do it. Who do you guys think wont? Samsung will.....LG will.....Moto Will.....HTC is 50/50......and that's just about everybody as Sony won't be making phones next year :p

I guess I should have said flagship phone to be clear, but even so I still think most non flagships will carry it.

Reckoner

I don't think so. I think the vast majority will do it. Who do you guys think wont? Samsung will.....LG will.....Moto Will.....HTC is 50/50......and that's just about everybody as Sony won't be making phones next year :p

I guess I should have said flagship phone to be clear, but even so I still think most non flagships will carry it.

Sony what bro

come on

The Z5 will sell like crazy. I still believe in all Android users out there. They will get the best. I'm sure of it.

that ain't even walking it back, that's a full on sonic dash.

"i'll be shocked if these 30 high end phones next year don't have Type C"

Quasar

Even some of us who are more tech inclined dont really care about it that much. I mean about the only time I use my phones port is to plug into the charger so whether or not its usbc is pretty damn low on my priorities list.

reKon

Banned
finger print scanner is 10x more important and useful than USB C. I'm going to put that in must have feature for top flagships next to a microsd card slot (since Android M is going to support treating it as internal storage). If no Micro SD, I expect 32 GB minimum all the way up to 128GB.

I don't think MicroSD is a must have. Never has been for me. Especially the more we move toward storing all our media on the cloud and what have you.

With that said, 16gb in 2015 is super annoying. 32GB should always be the base model (at least for now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom