• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiPrime

Actually because I take more pictures and now 4k video I need much more space on my phone than I do my tablet. What do you guys fill your tablet up with? I bought the 32gb nexus 10 at launch and have never really filled that space at all. I would have been fine with the 16gb.

I keep missing out on deals for the N9 but if I find one at $240 or lower and its still in stock I'm gonna go for it as the N10 is just about on its lag legs at some points. Web browsing on it is getting slower and slower, and now it doesn't even get the M upgrade.

I only have 16GB on my Nexus 7 so not a lot. :(

I'd love to have more storage so I could dump a season of a TV show, a bunch of comics and games on there.

eh the macbook pro is a better bang for the buck in my opinion. The Macbook are smaller then the air and the weight/performance/price tips in favor of the MBP. The MBP are so slim now, honestly I think the Airs are sort of in a weird limbo.

My 11" Air is noticeably lighter than a MBP and has a much better keyboard than the Macbook. It's also really cheap. It's the perfect laptop if you need to carry it everyday and have a desktop computer for home.

Seriously you don't want to write notes or an essay on the Macbook keyboard, it's dreadful.

M.D

Anyone ever had their LG G2 decide it will recharge the battery extremely slowly? happens every now and then and it's really annoying

Mindwipe

I'd love to have more storage so I could dump a season of a TV show, a bunch of comics and games on there.

My 11" Air is noticeably lighter than a MBP and has a much better keyboard than the Macbook. It's also really cheap. It's the perfect laptop if you need to carry it everyday and have a desktop computer for home.

Seriously you don't want to write notes or an essay on the Macbook keyboard, it's dreadful.

Agreed on all counts.

reKon

Banned

for Nexus 7. I've used USB OTG while traveling and have streamed from USB fine

Wabba

Just bought a Galaxy Edge after being a long time Iphone user, I love it. Its just one thing that i dont like and i dont know if its a easy fix, so i ask here. On Iphone i got a red number over the apps when i got a message or a notification, but on the Edge it dosent appear any, is it possible to get something that notice me that i have a unread notification.

Jzero

Just bought a Galaxy Edge after being a long time Iphone user, I love it. Its just one thing that i dont like and i dont know if its a easy fix, so i ask here. On Iphone i got a red number over the apps when i got a message or a notification, but on the Edge it dosent appear any, is it possible to get something that notice me that i have a unread notification.

On Android you get general notifications on the top of your screen.

V2SettI.jpg

SimleuqiR

Nova Launcher has the ability to do the badges.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.notifier&hl=en

1tah0aXVdiStO-1orRWsTWn03JS-bZzHecyuPyZ3yekR76Waxo_wlKj-WNEq-tGDMZ0=h900-rw

I wouldn't mind badges appearing if a certain period of time passes and for some reason you haven't seen whatever the badge is indicating. Otherwise I like everything being at the top.

T-Mobile uncarrier 10 rumored to include free video streaming. This would be amazing.

more anti-net neutratlity fuckery from t-nowhere.

128GB on a tablet might be quite nice but on a phone I really don't see the appeal.

32GB is still the sweet spot in cost/benefit on a phone.

i feel like the exact opposite is true. who needs that much space on a tablet? my phone on the other hand? gimme 256GB!

Jesus Christ that looks like shit.

it's pretty configurable.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Try using the new OS instead of making it like your old OS. I'm not being sarcastic or anything. Let go of your old habits and try things the new way. Otherwise, you'll always be fighting Android.

^^^ One of Android's big strengths to me is in how customizable it is.

Yeah, Nova Launcher is great. I use it for the notification badges as well as being able to use a custom icon pack so the app icons are all nice and square (Minimal UI) instead of being a mix of circles, squares, squares with rounded edges, or just different shapes entirely.
Jesus Christ that looks like shit.
It's extremely customization and can look however you want pretty much.

My badges are red squares with white text and look exactly how I want them to look. There are three sizes to chose from (small, medium, large), 3 things to change the color of (the border, text, and background), you can customize how round you want them to look (corner radius setting), and you can choose which corner of the app icon you want the badge to appear.

As previously said, Android has notifications that appear in the top bar, but I always try to keep my notification menu wiped, and if I wipe a notification from there and I didn't check the email or whatever, I can forget to go back and check. The notification badges are always there until I actually look at the item in my email, messenger, or whatever which I find more helpful.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Lol at people always championing customization and options. Then you look at their phone and see how rubbish it is.

Lol at people always championing customization and options. Then you look at their phone and see how rubbish it is.

What bugs me the most is that you can change the home screens and icons and widgets and whatnot all you want. It all falls apart as soon as you need to go into settings or even the Notification Center. It's not as consistent experience and it annoyed he hell out of me, when I had the Galaxy Nexus and couldn't get rid of hat stink that Holo was.

kami_sama

I was fantastic on KK. Lollipop made a few things worse . Recent apps being the worst. But else the phone has been great since day one. Now is almost perfection

Well, I think recent apps are better on Lollipop. A lot faster to scroll, at least for me.

Insert a The Faceless Master phone screen capture here with the Comic Sans MS font

<3

Why the hell do samsung phones use that horrendous font? Every time I see it, I have to look at my phone and look at the stock one.

Well, I think recent apps are better on Lollipop. A lot faster to scroll, at least for me.

Why the hell do samsung phones use that horrendous font? Every time I see it, I have to look at my phone and look at the stock one.

Samsung has proven countless of times that they have no taste and no original ideas.

tzare

yes agree, but loli brought some issues here and there, worse battery life, slow recents app , now we are almost back to kk performance &#128515;

hitgirl

stupid question, but I don't have an Android to see. Can you set like a quiet / unavailable time on the phone? When I'm in the gym I listen to music through bluetooth and wish I could turn off all calls / texts during this time.

kami_sama

stupid question, but I don't have an Android to see. Can you set like a quiet / unavailable time on the phone? When I'm in the gym I listen to music through bluetooth and wish I could turn off all calls / texts during this time.

If you have Lollopop, you can set the "None" mode, which makes any notifications or calls be completely silent. You can also set it for only a set amount of hours.

I didn't say it wasn't lighter, I said that the additional power and the extra cost are worth the trade off in comparison.

Reckoner

The Guardian's Z5 review

The 5.2in LCD display is great. Vibrant, colourful, bright and with good viewing angles. It isn&#8217;t quite as eye-popping as some rival OLED screens from Samsung or as pixel perfect as higher resolution LG&#8217;s 2K LCD, but most will be more than satisfied with the screen.

I found battery life a little disappointing. Without using any of Sony&#8217;s battery saving modes the Xperia Z5 only lasted an average of 34 hours 30 minutes between charges

Those two points are laughable. Seems like a solid phone. Did they really believe they would get a full 48 hours between charges? 34+ hours is very good for a phone these days. The Compact should get even more. Also, they say the phone isn't as "zippy" as other flagships. I tried a Z3 with a 801 IIRC and it was smooth as butter. It should fly with the 810 and the overheating issues out. And again, the Compact should perform even better.

Can't wait for these to come out. I want to try.

If it has an 808 it's a deal breaker. My phone has an 805 and they're basically equal performance wise.

Though yeah, that's the trifecta for me.
it will have an 808 and I don't see why it's a dealbreaker. The G4 performs great any time I've used it/any video I've seen. It's definitely not ideal but hey it's still a sequel that is an improvement over the best android phone of all time. Who knows how google will screw up nexus next year. Savour it!

Moto X phones probably going to be 6.5 inches as well.

it will have an 808 and I don't see why it's a dealbreaker. The G4 performs great any time I've used it/any video I've seen. It's definitely not ideal but hey it's still a sequel that is an improvement over the best android phone of all time. Who knows how google will screw up nexus next year. Savour it!

I think Moto might rein in their crazy next year. Hopefully atleast.

i hope no type C. Not yet.

Why not? And it's pretty obvious they'll do it sense they are pushing for it as standard with M.

Reckoner

I think they will stop by 6.2 first. 6.5 would be too ahead of its time.

That's honestly my biggest fear, that they somehow screw up the nexus next year or might not offer another Nexus 5, like last year. Even then I can still pick up a cheap 5-2 later, should they not offer one.

That's honestly my biggest fear, that they somehow screw up the nexus next year or might not offer another Nexus 5, like last year. Even then I can still pick up a cheap 5-2 later, should they not offer one.
I'm hoping this is a new standard. One normal human sized nexus and one big nexus. Unfortunately knowing google next years nexus 5 will be 5.5 inches and the 6 will be 6.2 inches or something ridiculous rather than keeping iat 5 inches and 6 inches like it should be.

Using the Moto X 2015 the last few days and I have to say, I miss AMOLED screens. LCD just looks like shit compared. I'm just a sucker for the deep blacks.

tzare

I think Moto might rein in their crazy next year. Hopefully atleast.

Why not? And it's pretty obvious they'll do it sense they are pushing for it as standard with M.

convenience. All Oems including apple should include type C in all smartphones/tablets from X date. Then i'm in.

EmiPrime

I didn't say it wasn't lighter, I said that the additional power and the extra cost are worth the trade off in comparison.

I don't think the trade offs in portability (and battery life in the case of the 13" MBA) are worth it for my use. You also can't get an 11" MBP. If you're going to be a carrying a laptop everyday and need to do a lot of typing the MBA is the perfect laptop. Apps open instantly so any extra power isn't needed.

If you only want one computer then a MBP might be a better all rounder especially if you don't need to carry it everyday but my MBA complements my iMac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom