• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even some of us who are more tech inclined dont really care about it that much. I mean about the only time I use my phones port is to plug into the charger so whether or not its usbc is pretty damn low on my priorities list.

It's something that really doesn't matter to me on a phone. I don't charge via USB and don't transfer data via USB. The last time I actually needed the USB port was to sideload the 5.1 update file, because I didn't want to wait. It's nice to have as a fall back, but for that even mini USB would be fine.

I don't think MicroSD is a must have. Never has been for me. Especially the more we move toward storing all our media on the cloud and what have you.

With that said, 16gb in 2015 is super annoying. 32GB should always be the base model (at least for now).

You never know about cloud storage man.

microsoft-kin.jpg

reKon

Banned
I don't think MicroSD is a must have. Never has been for me. Especially the more we move toward storing all our media on the cloud and what have you.

With that said, 16gb in 2015 is super annoying. 32GB should always be the base model (at least for now).

4K videos and the significant growth of 4K TV sets? 4K netflix streaming??

Too bad it's flopping. It's a great phone.
to be fair, all flagships are flopping, just to different degrees :p

Samsung will be interesting next year. I feel like they were betting that this was the year of their comeback (from dropping at least) but this year was worse than last. It'll be interesting to see if they stay the course or do another big change in their devices for next year.

To nobody's surprise, Samsung planning their own upgrade/leasing plan like apple: http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-said-to-plan-smartphone-leasing-program/#ftag=CAD590a51e

to be fair, all flagships are flopping, just to different degrees :p

Samsung will be interesting next year. I feel like they were betting that this was the year of their comeback (from dropping at least) but this year was worse than last. It'll be interesting to see if they stay the course or do another big change in their devices for next year.

There is nothing they can do to turnaround though. There are big iPhones now. That was their whole market. They are seeing what their true market share is now.

There is nothing they can do to turnaround though. There are big iPhones now. That was their whole market. They are seeing what their true market share is now.
they just need to find something else to be the best at like they were with bigger displays, and then market smart, price it right, and see what happens.

But yeah I think high end android is a lost cause but there's gotta be some magic formula out there.

they just need to find something else to be the best at like they were with bigger displays, and then market smart, price it right, and see what happens.

But yeah I think high end android is a lost cause but there's gotta be some magic formula out there.

I just don't see anything they can bring to the table to turn it around. Any features they bring to the table, basically don't exist until Apple does them and calls them revolutionary. Bigger battery won't change their fortune. Software features won't. They will still be a profitable company. Just not like they were.

I just don't see anything they can bring to the table to turn it around. Any features they bring to the table, basically don't exist until Apple does them and calls them revolutionary. Bigger battery won't change their fortune. Software features won't. They will still be a profitable company. Just not like they were.
I'm not sure what their overhead is but I'd love to see how low they can take the price of their devices. The race to the bottom isn't a solution but it might temporarily stop the bleeding. Imagine the S6 was the price of the Moto X. They'd easily be the best high end phone for price value wise. But again, not sure if they can do that as well as a company like Xiaomi/Moto/The rest.

They need to stop trying to be apple in every way (including price) because people will always go for the real deal. Embrace android, go for battery not thinness, keep having the best display/camera, try to aim for a killer price, think of some good marketing, etc...

They'll never beat apple but I feel like if they were smart they could stop the bleeding and have a better year.

I'm not sure what their overhead is but I'd love to see how low they can take the price of their devices. The race to the bottom isn't a solution but it might temporarily stop the bleeding. Imagine the S6 was the price of the Moto X. They'd easily be the best high end phone for price value wise. But again, not sure if they can do that as well as a company like Xiaomi/Moto/The rest.

They need to stop trying to be apple in every way (including price) because people will always go for the real deal. Embrace android, go for battery not thinness, keep having the best display/camera, try to aim for a killer price, think of some good marketing, etc...

They'll never beat apple but I feel like if they were smart they could stop the bleeding and have a better year.

You could've got a S6 32gb for $430 last week. That's cheaper than the 32gb Moto X. They are going to have to get away from huge prices now that people are seeing the true cost of a phone and it isn't being subsidized.

You could've got a S6 32gb for $430 last week. That's cheaper than the 32gb Moto X. They are going to have to get away from huge prices now that people are seeing the true cost of a phone and it isn't being subsidized.
not to mention carriers are slowly moving away from subsidy models....

KevinCow

Banned
Hangout. And mute the chat

Is there a way to route text messages through Hangouts? Because there's no way I'm going to convince everybody I know to switch to Hangouts, and I can't stop them from adding me to group texts.

What messenger are you using? There are multiple and most phones come with different ones.

I don't know, whatever the default one that came with my phone was. It's just called Messaging.

Is there a way to route text messages through Hangouts? Because there's no way I'm going to convince everybody I know to switch to Hangouts, and I can't stop them from adding me to group texts.

I don't know, whatever the default one that came with my phone was. It's just called Messaging.

Then what phone do you have and yes, you can receive sms via hangouts.

Go to settings and then sms.

tzare

I'm still confused. You said you hope the Nexus duo didn't have type C yet and your reason is no one uses it, but you're fine of everyone starts using it now? I mean someone has to be the second to take it up and Google is touting it's support as one of the main features in Marshmallow. Expect most if not all Android phones for next year to have it.

if that is the case, that most (ideal case would be all) phones from now on use type C (including WP, iOS) , then it is the right step. But unfortunately i do not think that will be the case. I mean, iphone6s, note 5, galaxy 6 edge+... just released and do not include type C.
Yes maybe all will follow google, we will see. I understand Nexus are 'niche' and probably a good way to introduce it.

i felt it was a flop when i heard that US carriers were short stocked on the 4.

I heard this too, US carriers are apparently not receiving any new Note 4's from Samsung.

i knew when the 3 and 4 average sale price went up on Swappa.

The average selling price of a used Verizon Note 4 Developer Edition has gone up to the point where it sells for more than it did when it was available new on Samsung's website. They are rare enough that people buy them as soon as they see them at pretty much any listed price.

Yeah.

Too bad it's flopping. It's a great phone.

Not really. Samsung's 2015 strategy of making devices like iPhones and charging as much as an iPhone has been a dead-end, if not straight-up disastrous for them. There's only one iPhone. When Samsung starts making devices with sealed batteries, non-expandable storage, extensive protection against root access and customization, and fancy exteriors which no one can see because people put phones in cases anyways, people will look at the new Samsung devices and realize that if it's going to be like that, they should just buy a damn iPhone. Which is exactly what they are doing.

Samsung is committing suicide by trying to be like Apple. Let's see if they reverse course in 2016 and go back to the strategy that made them successful before.

tzare

Not really. Samsung's 2015 strategy of making devices like iPhones and charging as much as an iPhone has been a dead-end, if not straight-up disastrous for them. There's only one iPhone. When Samsung starts making devices with sealed batteries, non-expandable storage, extensive protection against root access and customization, and fancy exteriors which no one can see because people put phones in cases anyways, people will look at the new Samsung devices and realize that if it's going to be like that, they should just buy a damn iPhone. Which is exactly what they are doing.

Samsung is committing suicide by trying to be like Apple. Let's see if they reverse course in 2016 and go back to the strategy that made them successful before.
I hope you are right, i want a legit succesor for my Note 4: expandable storage, removable battery and non slippery back and IR blaster.

btw...

650_1200.jpg

if that is the case, that most (ideal case would be all) phones from now on use type C (including WP, iOS) , then it is the right step. But unfortunately i do not think that will be the case. I mean, iphone6s, note 5, galaxy 6 edge+... just released and do not include type C.
Yes maybe all will follow google, we will see. I understand Nexus are 'niche' and probably a good way to introduce it.

The new Lumia phones will definitely have Type-C and I'm sure all other flagships next year will have it as well, excluding Apple. I just can't see them ditching their Lightning port for the phones and tablets. The connector is thinner than Type-C and allows them to continue to make the devices even thinner. The best case scenario is an official Type-C adapter for $19.00.

HdBNUq7.png

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Having USB C on my Zenpad is amazing. I hate the crappy plugs on my other devices.

tzare

Having USB C on my Zenpad is amazing. I hate the crappy plugs on my other devices.

it is a plug. Most people just use it to charge, so the only advantage it has, imo, is being reversible so i can plug it at night, and not break it like spen-gate, by putting it the wrong way.
But for now just having standard micro usb everywhere, for all devices i own, is much more convenient.

In fact having dedicated charging ports is a huge issue in a number of devices, starting with smartwatches.

AT least USB type C devices should come with wireless charging as standard too.

Transitions away from ubiquitous standards are always a bit annoying, but I'm more than fine with Google switching to Type-C on the new Nexus phones.

It's time for microUSB to die.

quickcharging says hello

Doesn't look like wireless will have it beat for some time considering quickcharge 3.0 sounds great.

That's only needed, because devices suck too much to last an entire day.

And stop living in the past already, Pyro.

"PISCATAWAY, N.J., June 23, 2015
–
The Wireless Power Consortium (WPC), the driving force and leader in the global adoption of wireless power technology, today announced that the latest version of the Qi specification now makes it possible to deliver 15 watts of power to mobile phones that support wireless fast charging.

This Qi fast charging feature enhances the charging experience by decreasing the time required to wirelessly charge devices. Several manufacturers already offer wired fast charging for their devices, providing as much as 60 percent charge in as little as 30 minutes. The latest Qi specification empowers them to extend this speed to wireless charging as well."

EmiPrime

I use wireless charging almost exclusively.

The only time I don't is when I've left my phone in my bag overnight by accident and need to quickly charge it in the morning.

Mindwipe

Has anyone ever seen a Lightning to Micro USB adaptor? i.e. one I could plug into the Lightning port on my clock radio to charge an Android device?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What do you need the plug for? Plugs are outdated.
True. I would enjoy a solidly constructed phone with no holes at all. No USB plug, no shitty aux port, no crappy micro sd nonsense. It would be brilliant.

So what are everyone's thoughts on Android Pay so far?

I really like it. The little chime it makes is oddly satisfying.

The only place I've used it unsuccessfully was at Staples, but apparently they were having credit card transmission issues that day and it was fucking up everything, not just Apple/Android Pay.

Also, Citi has been added to the list of supported banks, for those who missed that news late last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom