• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwk94

Android Pay is a huge step down from Google wallet because of how many steps you have to go through just to pay. Instead of unlock, tap, pay like before, you have to tap, unlock, pay again. Before you could unlock the app beforehand so you didn't have to deal with it when actually paying but they removed that method now and because of that it's cumbersome. I used to use Google wallet as often as possible but I'm done now. This is ridiculous.

gcubed

Android Pay is a huge step down from Google wallet because of how many steps you have to go through just to pay. Instead of unlock, tap, pay like before, you have to tap, unlock, pay again. Before you could unlock the app beforehand so you didn't have to deal with it when actually paying but they removed that method now and because of that it's cumbersome. I used to use Google wallet as often as possible but I'm done now. This is ridiculous.

? I unlocked my phone before i got to the terminal. I tapped my phone and it paid.

This is exactly like it was with Google Wallet, although now its tied to the main lock screen and not the app. Before if you weren't unlocked you would have to tap, unlock the wallet pin, tap again.

jwk94

? I unlocked my phone before i got to the terminal. I tapped my phone and it paid.

This is exactly like it was with Google Wallet, although now its tied to the main lock screen and not the app. Before if you weren't unlocked you would have to tap, unlock the wallet pin, tap again.
I unlocked my phone and have to unlock it again.

I already gave pricing and the fact that the display might be amoled!

The rest is just more details on stuff we already know. Nothing worthwhile anyway. Carrier launch of mid 20s of October for Canada.

LG is the one I want leaks on most and have none. I'd agree with the Moto x thing if it were smaller and not missing fingerprint. Deal breakers are deal breakers.

Link? I missed that.

Link? I missed that.
Too lazy to link but the pricing less than the Nexus 6 which was $650 in the USA I believe. Again all I know is canadian stuff and if our dollar is terrible and the pricing is similar to that, it probably means it's at least $100 cheaper or more in the USA.

This is carrier pricing I'm referring to but I doubt google will undercut it much if at all. That's what the LG nexus is for!

EmiPrime

I already gave pricing and the fact that the display might be amoled!

The rest is just more details on stuff we already know. Nothing worthwhile anyway. Carrier launch of mid 20s of October for Canada.

LG is the one I want leaks on most and have none. I'd agree with the Moto x thing if it were smaller and not missing fingerprint. Deal breakers are deal breakers.

Just because of the screen size or do you not think much of the Huawei?

I really hope the G4 camera is a sign of what to expect of the Nexus 5.

Jzero

Too lazy to link but the pricing less than the Nexus 6 which was $650 in the USA I believe. Again all I know is canadian stuff and if our dollar is terrible and the pricing is similar to that, it probably means it's at least $100 cheaper or more in the USA.

This is carrier pricing I'm referring to but I doubt google will undercut it much if at all. That's what the LG nexus is for!

Lawd have mercy. Good because i wasn't going to pay $700 again.

Lawd have mercy. Good because i wasn't going to pay $700 again.
Unless for some reason the USA matches Canada's pricing which would make no sense lol. For reference, iphone is 250 bucks more expensive here I think. The OP2 base model is $409 here as well. So that gives you an idea.

Just because of the screen size or do you not think much of the Huawei?

I really hope the G4 camera is a sign of what to expect of the Nexus 5.
Pretty much just the size lol. Bigger phones are dealbreakers for me. If you don't care about size the huawei nexus seems like the higher spec'd phone. And the pricing will reflect it.

G4 camera probably costs too much to put in a cheaper phone. Dat f1.8 would be glorious though.

No Love

Banned
Unless for some reason the USA matches Canada's pricing which would make no sense lol. For reference, iphone is 250 bucks more expensive here I think. The OP2 base model is $409 here as well. So that gives you an idea.

Pretty much just the size lol. Bigger phones are dealbreakers for me. If you don't care about size the huawei nexus seems like the higher spec'd phone. And the pricing will reflect it.

G4 camera probably costs too much to put in a cheaper phone. Dat f1.8 would be glorious though.

My G4 camera is godly. Honestly, I bow down to its awesomeness. I won't give it up until a superior phone with a noticeably better camera comes along.

EmiPrime

I dunno, the G4 is fairly inexpensive now. Maybe that has more to do with it not selling at all though. Were it not for LG's skin and probably having to wait way too long for 6.0 I might have bought it already. I can get good shots outdoors on my Nexus 5 but indoors it really falls apart, I'm really ready for a camera upgrade.

Er I did not have this problem. Something you got in settings is wrong.

I'll be one of the few going for the Huawei Nexus. 5.2 feels small and I want 5.5 or bigger. Don't want to deal with LG or Samsung skins, OPT is missing stuff I want, and I view the Moto X Pure as a backup in case Huawei falls flat on its face on Monday.

Also, anyone get Android Pay working on a rooted Moto X 2014? Unroot via SuperSU and Rootcloak via Xposed are still kicking errors.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hope the N6-2 has a high price again. I have seen literally zero Nexus 6 phones in the wild. Zero. It's amazing. I don't have to be associated with the filthy poors or commoners.

Rose gold ftw, anyway. Just got an email from Apple telling me how I can prep for my 6S+. I'll keep it for a month then get rid of it because everyone else will have it eventually. First of the month is coming soon after its release so my window is short.

I like this wallpaper I feel like the new google logo in the bar suits it

2reyulb.jpg

Husker86

I just used it for the first time 15 minutes ago and purposefully kept the screen off before trying it. I put my finger on the fingerprint reader and tapped...boom, done.

What I'm trying to say is, fingerprint reader is damn near a must for a seamless Android Pay experience. Worked great for me.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Has anyone noticed how useless Google Now has become? It doesn't show useful stuff anymore. Just mostly always articles.
The important stuff is still there but the list is now three times as long. Full of articles. It's just spam now. And the spam is mostly click bait that seems to have SEO'd Google Now.

Fucking garbage.

reKon

Banned
I have it turned off. I only find it useful when going abroad.

I think that this is the ideal use. If you live in a big city, you already know where everything is or know about everything. If you live in suburbs...useless.

If you're traveling anywhere, that shit will have your boarding pass ready to go along with flight updates and timezone difference alerts when you land.

Toki767

The important stuff is still there but the list is now three times as long. Full of articles. It's just spam now. And the spam is mostly click bait that seems to have SEO'd Google Now.

Fucking garbage.

It's like...it doesn't even display sports scores live anymore. Only after a game ends. It also doesn't show the weather anymore.

It's practically useless now.

EmiPrime

I think that this is the ideal use. If you live in a big city, you already know where everything is or know about everything. If you live in suburbs...useless.

If you're traveling anywhere, that shit will have your boarding pass ready to go along with flight updates and timezone difference alerts when you land.

Yeah when you see that info it's a genuine "holy shit" tech moment.

Then you get back home and quickly realise why you had it turned off. The Siri screen on iOS9 is even worse. There's a lot of room for improvement in this space, especially with the recommended articles (too many clickbait garbage sources popping up), sports teams (show me useful breaking news, again no clickbait crap and results of a game I already watched) and points of interest (despite being vegan it would keep showing me the steak restaurant I used to live near to for example).

I'm still getting all the same cards in Google Now as I was before the new design. I'm also getting cards I didn't have before. What I'm not getting anymore are voice responses when I make queries and ask questions. It's really gotdamn annoying. The worst part is that if I do a voice search within Chrome, I still get voice responses. It makes no sense.

I'm happy to say that whatever the update was on my nexus 9 last night completely resolved hiccuping and lag. It's now as snappy as it should be. It wasn't the stage fright update. I got that a little while ago. This is the one that said bug fixes and speed improvements or something like that. And it shows. It took a while but this shit is now slick as fuck. I tried opening and closing tons of apps and flipping between them and then going back to the home screen which always cause hiccuping or stuttering. And it's all good in the hood.

Toki767

All I get nowadays are the places I parked, time to get home, and articles to read including some just being GAF threads for some reason.

All I get nowadays are the places I parked, time to get home, and articles to read including some just being GAF threads for some reason.
Not sure if this will help, but have you tried going into the customize section and seeing if some of the stuff there is labeled 'no' instead of 'yes'?

^_^

lotta negative reviews for Android Pay... looks like many people are having issues with their old cards no unsupported banks not working and others having issues with loyalty cards not working because they don't have a bank card on there (loopback to problem #1) when that arrangement worked fine before.

but CurrentC worked fine for me at Target today! i should try Wendy's tomorrow. stay free Google.

gcubed

It's like...it doesn't even display sports scores live anymore. Only after a game ends. It also doesn't show the weather anymore.

It's practically useless now.

i get live sports scores and weather. I also get how long it will take me to get to work or get home, which is very useful when living somewhere that has traffic (not to mention if there is an accident on my normal route, it alerts me while I am driving). I even get weather trends now, which tells me tomorrow's weather and how much different it is from today (yay?).

My company also uses Gapps, and it tells me when i need to leave to make it to a meeting at a different location on time.

My major complaint is that you can't filter google news articles. I get shit from Breitbart and infowars. Google is scraping the shit of the shit and trying to present it to me. I fully expect stormfront threads to start popping up any day now.

Also recently they have started putting live games on your notification bar, so you get a logo for the sport and when you pull the shade down you get the score. I'm semi-anal about the icons in my notification bar and it irks me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom