• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindwipe

I love how they have removed the Sony skin. That was another aspect I did not like about the Xperia line relative to other skins/stock. Was this implemented in the Z4/Z3+?

No. But then it's not entirely implemented here - still Sony softkeys at the bottom and not stock ones.

Hopefully the volume functionality is still the superior Sony one (though it's not the end of the world once M fixes it).

No. But then it's not entirely implemented here - still Sony softkeys at the bottom and not stock ones.

Hopefully the volume functionality is still the superior Sony one (though it's not the end of the world once M fixes it).

Damnit. The dream is still dead :(

reKon

Banned
I've been running Sony's version of 5.1.1 + Nova Launcher and it's been pretty much like a stock experience for me. Sony's notification toggle is stock android. The only thing that's way off stock android is the small apps tool bar when you multitask, but that can be removed and you don't even need to root it or anything to do so!

Therefore, this isn't really a big deal to me at all.

YEAR OF SKIP

Nicktendo86

The Sony skin was and always will be awful but people pretend that it's not for whatever reason. This is definitely a plus for them.

BTW the Motorola page for the X Style still has the 16GB version listed. Someone said they axed that. Doesn't seem the case.
The American page does but the UK one definitely has only 32 & 64

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there a hardware refresh with android wear coming/planned, to support NFC for android pay? Or will that be another year to wait for that?

From the Digital Spy hands on:

The Z5 Premium's 5.5-inch 4K display sets it apart from the mainstream masses, but not really enough to warrant the fanfare and attention. Does this added pixelage look good? Absolutely. Does it make a better first impression than the QHD display of the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+? Not really, no.

Forget the slightly underwhelming display, the true star of the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium is its camera....

On first impressions, the camera produces hugely impressive results. Image processing can be a little sluggish, but focussing is quick and sharp, with end results offering levels of detail previously unseen on smartphones

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/re...-hands-on-with-the-worlds-first-4k-phone.html

So the ZenWatch 2 is coming out in October for €149 (49 mm) and €169 (45 mm). That is pretty cheap.
eahMY2g.jpg

I like the look of the old one more, though.

Jigolo

Ohhhh the way Sony software is looking real good for next year. Near stock + their own camera all + 820 + USB C + 4k display

Whoosh

reKon

Banned
I don't like how Sony refuses to shrink the top and bottom bezel. 146mm is too tall...

it's been the same dimensions forever

vivftp

Same sensor though I believe. They just shafting the lesser models just cuz.

The bottom bezel is real. Nothing on there. It's a complete blank inch and a half of nothing.

The bottom bezel houses the lower front facing speaker. Also the overall size of the phone (whether it be larger bezels or thickness) is needed for the larger battery. What, did you think the bottom part of the phone is hollow?

The bottom bezel houses the lower front facing speaker. Also the overall size of the phone (whether it be larger bezels or thickness) is needed for the larger battery. What, did you think the bottom part of the phone is hollow?

The N6 bottom bezel isn't gigantic with bottom speakers. No excuse for it to be that big.

On the positive side the fingerprint sensor seems real good and the camera autofocus incredible.

I dont understand the whole removal of sony skin though, does this mean faster updates because it is running stock? I never noticed sony skin anyway because its very light but faster updates would be good.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't like how Sony refuses to shrink the top and bottom bezel. 146mm is too tall...

it's been the same dimensions forever

Still shorter than an iphone 6+ with the same sized screen. Sure it could be smaller, but it isn't big for a 5.5" phone.

The Z5 P has a better camera than the other 2? SMH.

I thought Kaz in the conference said they all had the same camera?

Furyous

Is that stock android with an IR blaster? I expect three day battery life out of an S810 powered Z5C. If the Z5C was 1080p I'd pay for it right now. This looks like the closest I'm getting to dream Android phone anyway. I just need to wait for reviews to hit and benchmarks to come out.

vivftp

The N6 bottom bezel isn't gigantic with bottom speakers. No excuse for it to be that big.

Did you miss the part where I also mentioned battery?

The battery needs to take up space somewhere. Either it's going to make the phone thicker, or increase the size of the bezels for larger size batteries.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
from digitalspy (bonus points for them automatically inserting a link to the article when I copied some text)

the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium is an impressive - if not slightly underwhelming - device. The phone's 64-bit Snapdragon 810 processor and 3GB of RAM offer more than enough grunt to effortlessly brush aside anything you can throw at it, but this is the same internals combination that's been in flagship phones for the better part of a year already.

Has the 810 really been in phones for 'the better part of a year'? Is 3GB and the latest processor available 'underwhelming'?

Did you miss the part where I also mentioned battery?

The battery needs to take up space somewhere. Either it's going to make the phone thicker, or increase the size of the bezels for larger size batteries.

Sorry but that's not an excuse to put a blank bezel with absolutely nothing there. People bitch about HTC's black bar but this will get a pass cause why?

vivftp

Sorry but that's not an excuse to put a blank bezel with absolutely nothing there. People bitch about HTC's black bar but this will get a pass cause why?

So you want... what? A pretty design? lol

Either the bezels get larger or the phone gets thicker. This is the balance they've gone with and honestly it's not that bad at all. My Xperia Z Ultra has similar top and bottom bezels (probably even a bit bigger), and it's honestly not that bad at all. In-hand, the bezels will not be all that different than most other phones out there.

So you want... what? A pretty design? lol

Either the bezels get larger or the phone gets thicker. This is the balance they've gone with and honestly it's not that bad at all. My Xperia Z Ultra has similar top and bottom bezels (probably even a bit bigger), and it's honestly not that bad at all. In-hand, the bezels will not be all that different than most other phones out there.

Actually I would rather have a thicker phone. I have no issue with a little heft. One handed usability is more important.

rrvv

Still shorter than an iphone 6+ with the same sized screen. Sure it could be smaller, but it isn't big for a 5.5" phone.

I thought Kaz in the conference said they all had the same camera?
Pretty sure it's same camera. It just that Z5P have better screen to show the picture which make it slightly "better"

reKon

Banned
I FUCKING TOLD Y'ALL it would sell for at least double. Let me check my spot in line while creating an ebay account..........

Got an invite, bought one and plan on netting $150 to $200 on Swappa. Going towards my Nexus 7 replacement fund

Alchemy

Z5 Premium is dumb as hell, but the regular Z5 looks ok. Too bad about that October release date though, really wanted to upgrade by the end of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom