• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I like the premium, but like I said in the other thread that gold/silver is tacky as hell

vivftp

Actually I would rather have a thicker phone. I have no issue with a little heft. One handed usability is more important.

And some people want a thinner phone. This is the compromise they chose, and it's still very competitive with other makers.

I don't think we have a screen to body ratio on the Z5 family yet, but if you compare the Z3 and the Galaxy S6, they've got an identical screen to body ratio. The Z3 is 70.91% and the S6 is 70.7%.

Even the N6 you mentioned has a screen ratio of 74.1%, which isn't really all that huge a difference between it and the Xperias.

The point is, people blow the bezel proportions of the Xperias WAY out of proportion when they're perfectly competitive with other makers phones.

I'm glad to see the September 29th date gaining traction.

While curious about the Huawei, I can't see myself taking the leap of faith with them. Phone is ugly, looks huge especially with the camera hammer bump, uses the 810, has QHD and will likely be priced $500+.

It's either the LG or nothing.

OnePlus 2 is selling for $600 - $650 on Swappa... LMAO...

Why are people buying this?

And I just got sent an invite an hour ago that I had no intention of using (and that they say can only be claimed by my email address). Makes me think that I should just buy one to turn around and flip it.

longdi

Banned
The regular Z5 (not the compact, not the premium) is going to be the star here.

1920 x 1080, 2900 mAh, 5.2", fingerprint sensor, NFC, hopefully a good camera using their sensors, stock Android....

Star? what star? lol, Sony downgraded the battery life yet again....
Z4/3+ has 2930 mAh fyi

what a loser company...smh

European prices aren't that much better.

Z5 Compact: 549€
Z5: 699€
Z5 Premium: 799€

Mind you that the Compact has a 720p screen and 2 GB RAM vs 1080p and 3GB on the Z5.

Yeah, no wonder why they get so fucking screwed when it comes to yearly/quarterly sales and why it keeps fucking up their profits, they sell the phones out of reach of everyone. Fucking stop it Sony...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
CN6v2L5WoAAClmL.jpg

pictured: Lenovo

tzare

And some people want a thinner phone. This is the compromise they chose, and it's still very competitive with other makers.

I don't think we have a screen to body ratio on the Z5 family yet, but if you compare the Z3 and the Galaxy S6, they've got an identical screen to body ratio. The Z3 is 70.91% and the S6 is 70.7%.

Even the N6 you mentioned has a screen ratio of 74.1%, which isn't really all that huge a difference between it and the Xperias.

The point is, people blow the bezel proportions of the Xperias WAY out of proportion when they're perfectly competitive with other makers phones.
Xperia phones have no physical buttons unlike Samsungs so real screen size sometimes is smaller depending on the app or when using launcher. So theuy hould improve that.
If camera and fingerprint sensor work well, and it seems they nailed it this time, the phone would be almost perfecion.
Too bad they chose to use a 4k screen. 2k is really enough. And too bad they had to launch along with Bond film and use sd 810.
The fingerprint scanner on one side is probably the best idea, natural when holding it and accesible when phone on the desk too

VoxPop

$620 for midrange Android specs. Sony pls.

You can't expect to put iPhone specs and have it run with the same fluidity on an Android device. This shenanigan might have worked in 2003 when you were relevant but not today. They think they're still some top tier company.. This company would have been in the shitter a long time ago without their movie division.

tzare

Many people do not but phones paying full price at once but with a monthly fee or a lower payment attachrd to a 2 year plan so it makess sense. That fee will probably be lower than iphones or latest galaxy devices

kami_sama

European prices aren't that much better.

Z5 Compact: 549€
Z5: 699€
Z5 Premium: 799€

Mind you that the Compact has a 720p screen and 2 GB RAM vs 1080p and 3GB on the Z5.

Holy Hell. There's no way I'm buying this with those prices. (Almost) everyone is coming with good phones at the midrange, and Sony just out-priced themselves with the compact.

vivftp

Xperia phones have no physical buttons unlike Samsungs so real screen size sometimes is smaller depending on the app or when using launcher. So theuy hould improve that.

You complained about one handed usability, so the physical buttons are irrelevant there... both devices with identical screen to bezel ratios would handle just about the same.

If camera and fingerprint sensor work well, and it seems they nailed it this time, the phone would be almost perfecion.
Too bad they chose to use a 4k screen. 2k is really enough. And too bad they had to launch along with Bond film and use sd 810.
The fingerprint scanner on one side is probably the best idea, natural when holding it and accesible when phone on the desk too

Having the first 4K display sets Sony apart from everyone else, and is something they can use to help generate more sales. If they're still giving us the same 2 day battery life, then who cares? Whether you wan to admit it or not, smartphone screens will keep going higher and higher resolution. Someone's got to be first, and this time it was Sony.

As for 810, it looks like overheating is not much of a concern based on what we're seeing so far, and performance seems excellent based on GSM Arenas testing with a pre-production unit:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5-review-1293.php

Saiyan-Rox

I knew the id fall into the nexus hype...but noooo I had to go and buy a OP2 anyway -_- still have my nexus 6 in a drwaer can't seem to sell it lol maybe this is a sign :O

Jigolo

Huawei is killing the game right now. The 8 and Mate S are stunning. Unfortunately the Huawei Nexus doesn't look like it's based on these

reKon

Banned
$620 for midrange Android specs. Sony pls.

You can't expect to put iPhone specs and have it run with the same fluidity on an Android device. This shenanigan might have worked in 2003 when you were relevant but not today. They think they're still some top tier company.. This company would have been in the shitter a long time ago without their movie division.

how are these mid range specs and what kind of specs would be considered high end then?

I can understand the pricing complaints, but this just stupid lol

how are these mid range specs and what kind of specs would be considered high end then?

I can understand the pricing complaints, but this just stupid lol

It's not mid range but its not high end either. 2GB RAM? 720p? Only thing that is high end is SD810 and I wouldn't even consider that a good thing.

reKon

Banned
Um it is. But if you're seriously gonna argue with me and trying to use Apple as a counterpoint to defend Sony you might as well save it.

To put things in perspective, I can personally attest that everything runs smooth on my Z3 Compact and my apps don't have reloading issues on 2 GB of ram (unlike the Galaxy Note 5). I think that Ram is much more important on bigger devices such as phablets/tablets where you're going to be utilizing current/potential features like multiwindow and more likely to be running more apps at a time.

There have been no reported performance issues with Xperia Z3 Compact performance on Android 5.1.1 (which has been released months ago) and a 720P screen on this screen size is still very sharp.The SD 810 is out benching the SD 801 and I don't think it's going to throttle down to perform below the SD 801. This isn't the HTC One M9. The phone is using aluminum frame (upgrade from last year) combined with glass, still includes actual water/dust proofing, has expandable storage, relatively big battery and likely long battery life (thanks to the resolution), fast charging, NFC, fingerprint reader, and dual front facing speakers...

I don't know what you're looking for here, but this is definitely high-end when you compare to everything else out there, lol... If you want something that's significantly better in processing power, the only thing we have is the Exynos 7240, which is exclusive to the Galaxy line up.

VoxPop

To put things in perspective, I can personally attest that everything runs smooth on my Z3 Compact and my apps don't have reloading issues on 2 GB of ram (unlike the Galaxy Note 5). I think that Ram is much more important on bigger devices such as phablets/tablets where you're going to be utilizing current/potential features like multiwindow and more likely to be running more apps at a time.

There have been no reported performance issues with Xperia Z3 Compact performance on Android 5.1.1 (which has been released months ago) and a 720P screen on this screen size is still very sharp.The SD 810 is out benching the SD 801 and I don't think it's going to throttle down to perform below the SD 801. This isn't the HTC One M9. The phone is using aluminum frame (upgrade from last year) combined with glass, still includes actual water/dust proofing, has expandable storage, relatively big battery and likely long battery life (thanks to the resolution), fast charging, NFC, fingerprint reader, and dual front facing speakers...

I don't know what you're looking for here, but this is definitely high-end when you compare to everything else out there, lol... If you want something that's significantly better in processing power, the only thing we have is the Exynos 7240, which is exclusive to the Galaxy line up.

So... it's a Moto G with an overheating Snap 810 and a fingerprint scanner (on the side lol). No one is debating if it runs well or not for you. 32GB flash storage is a joke and that you have to resort to microSD. There should be a 64/128 option. I'm arguing that it has those specs at $620.

yyzjohn

Banned
Might as well wait for the Z7 at that point when that is out in August next year.

But it won't be, even when they announce a phone in August or September (like this year) they won't actually be on sale until a month or 2 after that. A March announcement for the Z6 will mean it's actually on sale in Canada for May/June timeframe.

reKon

Banned
So... it's a Moto G with an overheating Snap 810 and a fingerprint scanner (on the side lol). No one is debating if it runs well or not for you. 32GB flash storage is a joke and that you have to resort to microSD. There should be a 64/128 option. I'm arguing that it has those specs at $620.

I don't know if $620 is going to be the actual price. I preordered my Xperia Z3 Compact at launch last year for $490 from one of the major UK retailers (I think Handtec). I live in the US and got it imported over here. I wouldn't be surprised if there were pre order sales again on these devices.

People will generally be saving google music, pictures, and videos to that micro SD so the fuck are you complaining about here? I will gladly take 32 GB + Micro SD storage over 64 GB/128 GB with no micro SD storage (unless you're arguing that 64 GB / 128 GB should include an SD card). To add to this, we're talking about a 4.6 inch screen phone right? How many 2 GB + games do you plan on playing this thing, because to me that's a pretty small screen. If we're talking tablets, then I can understand why at least 64 GB is a must have.

Also lol @ the Moto G w/ 810 SD. Ya'll are reaching today...

I don't like the SD 810 much either, but c'mon now...

A moto G with complete different internals, build, and design. Sure we'll go with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom