• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you should stop going to The Verge then...

I don't visit the Verge on a regular basis and this morning, all Google Now had was the weather and two Verge articles. It's pathetic. At least now they give you the possibility to mark stories as not interesting, but I can't see a way to mark The Verge as not interesting.

E: And no card for Formula 1 is ridiculous, considering that they already have some for search results.

tzare

i get live sports scores and weather. I also get how long it will take me to get to work or get home, which is very useful when living somewhere that has traffic (not to mention if there is an accident on my normal route, it alerts me while I am driving). I even get weather trends now, which tells me tomorrow's weather and how much different it is from today (yay?).

My company also uses Gapps, and it tells me when i need to leave to make it to a meeting at a different location on time.

My major complaint is that you can't filter google news articles. I get shit from Breitbart and infowars. Google is scraping the shit of the shit and trying to present it to me. I fully expect stormfront threads to start popping up any day now.

Also recently they have started putting live games on your notification bar, so you get a logo for the sport and when you pull the shade down you get the score. I'm semi-anal about the icons in my notification bar and it irks me.

Just like me, time home or to work, weather (main use for me since i do not use 3rd party widgets any more), live scores , next day calendar events, reminds me where i parked my car.... not a big deal but useful. And when travelling is really nice, even if i do not use gmaps, it knows where you are heading to and gives you news about accidents etc

It is more useful if you use public transport since reminds you whento leave to catch next train or bus.
Needs some kind of 'custom' news feed to be better, but is quite handy and is not intrusive. So why not.

Nicktendo86

i get live sports scores and weather. I also get how long it will take me to get to work or get home, which is very useful when living somewhere that has traffic (not to mention if there is an accident on my normal route, it alerts me while I am driving). I even get weather trends now, which tells me tomorrow's weather and how much different it is from today (yay?).

My company also uses Gapps, and it tells me when i need to leave to make it to a meeting at a different location on time.

My major complaint is that you can't filter google news articles. I get shit from Breitbart and infowars. Google is scraping the shit of the shit and trying to present it to me. I fully expect stormfront threads to start popping up any day now.

Also recently they have started putting live games on your notification bar, so you get a logo for the sport and when you pull the shade down you get the score. I'm semi-anal about the icons in my notification bar and it irks me.

I got the new weather one the other day when it told me how different the temperature will be. Pretty cool.

My main gripe with GN is it is just too cluttered. Hope now on tap lives up to the promise tough.

I have no fucking idea when the moto x style is meant to be released in the UK now by the way, clove and some other sites say tomorrow, Amazon now says 28th October!

yyzjohn

Banned

One guy in that thread nailed it saying something like "nobody cares what phone you use, they all do the same thing" I believe that. Why the hell should I pay a premium for an Apple phone when I can get the same functionality with something way cheaper? I don't even play games on the phone, just use it for communications. Sure some apps have newer features first in iOS, big deal, there's nothing earth shattering or game changing in any app that I absolutely NEED to have iOS for. I can surf the web, check email, listen to music, navigate with maps etc etc all on my "janky" Android phone. It just works for me.

One guy in that thread nailed it saying something like "nobody cares what phone you use, they all do the same thing" I believe that. Why the hell should I pay a premium for an Apple phone when I can get the same functionality with something way cheaper? I don't even play games on the phone, just use it for communications. Sure some apps have newer features first in iOS, big deal, there's nothing earth shattering or game changing in any app that I absolutely NEED to have iOS for. I can surf the web, check email, listen to music, navigate with maps etc etc all on my "janky" Android phone. It just works for me.

meh it's just not true imo. They do similar things but at different levels of quality. You pay for a level of service and quality and people willing to pay the iphone premium (aka everyone), prefers that level over the level that android provides.

EmiPrime

I think the 6S is probably the best phone this year so far despite the crappy battery, it's just a shame iOS is really behind Android and the hardware is hamstrung by Ive's thinness obsession. It's an ecosystem crippled by an ideology that puts aesthetics above function and treats the user like a child who can't even be trusted to set which email client they prefer.

kinggroin

Banned
Google Now hasn't stopped being beast mode for me. The only lapse it has are when I tend to stay off the internet for long stretches and it doesn't know what news to send me.

If I'm going full hog, Now is on point about getting me relevant shit.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I don't get the whole iOS is more fluid than Android argument. My work iPhone must be retarded then cause it seems slower than my Nexus 5. On another note I put Andorid M on the Nexus and it has dramatically improved battery life. I am getting around 4 hours of SOT vs the 2 I was getting before.

I don't get the whole iOS is more fluid than Android argument. My work iPhone must be retarded then cause it seems slower than my Nexus 5. On another note I put Andorid M on the Nexus and it has dramatically improved battery life. I am getting around 4 hours of SOT vs the 2 I was getting before.

Nexus 5 is the exception to the rule in my experience. Despite the better hardware I've found my Galaxy S6 is way more janky than my N5 ever was. S3 and S4 had the same problems.

reKon

Banned
Nexus 5 is the exception to the rule in my experience. Despite the better hardware I've found my Galaxy S6 is way more janky than my N5 ever was. S3 and S4 had the same problems.

HTC One M8, One Plus One, One Plus 2, Xperia Z3 series, Nexus 6, etc must all be exceptions to the rule then.

How come I don't see reviews mentioning Galaxy S6 jankiness? Did this happen over time?

HTC One M8, One Plus One, One Plus 2, Xperia Z3 series, Nexus 6, etc must all be exceptions to the rule then.

How come I don't see reviews mentioning Galaxy S6 jankiness? Did this happen over time?

Nope, right out of the box. AP review mentions it, I believe. Not a deal breaker and nothing too serious - some laggy animations, hitchy scrolling and page turning. But definitely noticeable coming from the N5.

EmiPrime

The smoothness and battery life stuff seems to come from people who used an S3 mini once then assumed all Android devices for the next 3 years were going to be as bad as that.

Hasney

The smoothness and battery life stuff seems to come from people who used an S3 mini once then assumed all Android devices for the next 3 years were going to be as bad as that.

It was a good job that I had friends who used Androids in the past, because getting my Galaxy S4 out of the box and seeing it stutter like a bitch on the screen unlock animation was kinda hilarious and almost had my going back to iPhone even though I'd hated using the newer versions of iOS. Thank fuck for custom ROMs that killed TouchWiz.

I'm assuming if you get nothing out of Google now you have location tracking turned off, then it's absolutely useless

Nope. Location tracking is on, location with high accuracy is also enabled.

I still get cards for stations near me and that's great. But I rarely take the train or bus anymore. My "commute" is a 7 minute walk, so it doesn't help me there either.

The difference with Cortana is that I can tell it exactly what my interests are.

"News topics you're tracking" -> "Microsoft, Google" -> New card "Here's the latest on Microsoft/Google".

"News categories you're tracking" -> "technology headlines", "health headlines" -> New card for that

It makes so much sense to me, compared to the random stuff I'm getting on Google Now.

reKon

Banned
Is my Tab S2 running the greatest version of TouchWiz ever then? I get NO lag and stutters whatsoever. I haven't rebooted this in over a week. It runs on a Exynos 5433...

Jigolo

My Moto X is pretty janky. Stock Android doesn't guarantee smoothness.
It's janky because it ain't stock. Close but still not stock.

Sense and Sony skin are butter and not stock either. It has to do with the devs working at the OEMs. The software is always modified to some degree even if it looks like stock Android.

The only thing that sometimes makes me mad about my G4 is the stuttering on my lockscreen. I have a PIN lock screen and there are plenty of times I start inputting my code and the phone gets stuck for a few seconds until it actually starts registering my inputs and by that time I probably have to just erase it and type it again. Also I hate the square number keys, sometimes it's hard to get some to register too. And I wish I wouldn't have to actually push the OK button.

Is there any good lockscreen alternative? I'm already using Nova Launcher.

reKon

Banned
The only thing that sometimes makes me mad about my G4 is the stuttering on my lockscreen. I have a PIN lock screen and there are plenty of times I start inputting my code and the phone gets stuck for a few seconds until it actually starts registering my inputs and by that time I probably have to just erase it and type it again. Also I hate the square number keys, sometimes it's hard to get some to register too. And I wish I wouldn't have to actually push the OK button.

Is there any good lockscreen alternative? I'm already using Nova Launcher.

I have actually had this exact same issue on my Xperia Z3 Compact.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
There seems to be a large amount of people having the same issues so maybe they had a really large bad batch of phones.

Every review I have read has has praised the phone. I have seen some complaints that n other forums but so far they have been the minority. It is possible that there is a bad batch.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Here are the phones I have in my household.

Nexus 5 - Personal phone on T-Mobile. Smooth OS.

HTC One M7 - Spare phone that I alternate from time to time with the Nexus 5. I really like HTC Sense and for me it is almost as smooth as stock Android.

iPhone 6 - Work phone on ATT. Obviously I am not a big fan of iOS. Battery life and camera are better on this phone. It has crashed more on me than Android but overall smooth but not as smooth as stock Android.

Galaxy S6 - Wifes phone. There is definitely jank and lag on there. I have tinkered with it a bit but my wife really likes it. The fast charge is awesome.

I plan to upgrade in the next 2-3 weeks. If the Nexus 5X doesnt impress I will go with the Moto X Pure.

EmiPrime

It was a good job that I had friends who used Androids in the past, because getting my Galaxy S4 out of the box and seeing it stutter like a bitch on the screen unlock animation was kinda hilarious and almost had my going back to iPhone even though I'd hated using the newer versions of iOS. Thank fuck for custom ROMs that killed TouchWiz.

The heaven and hell of Android right there: Openness that allows Touchwiz to exist but also allows for customs roms to fix those mistakes.

VoxPop

Here are the phones I have in my household.

Nexus 5 - Personal phone on T-Mobile. Smooth OS.

HTC One M7 - Spare phone that I alternate from time to time with the Nexus 5. I really like HTC Sense and for me it is almost as smooth as stock Android.

iPhone 6 - Work phone on ATT. Obviously I am not a big fan of iOS. Battery life and camera are better on this phone. It has crashed more on me than Android but overall smooth but not as smooth as stock Android.

Galaxy S6 - Wifes phone. There is definitely jank and lag on there. I have tinkered with it a bit but my wife really likes it. The fast charge is awesome.

I plan to upgrade in the next 2-3 weeks. If the Nexus 5X doesnt impress I will go with the Moto X Pure.

Lol what? I have both these phones and the 6 is way smoother than the M7 running 5.1.1. It's not even close. Unless you were talking about it running KitKat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom