• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admodieus

Anybody have a Note 5? Very curious about the battery life. I'm starting to think this might be my next phone - held one yesterday and it didn't seem as big as I thought it would be. It also has a fingerprint reader, wireless charging, and a fantastic camera which are all somewhat important to me.

Anybody have a Note 5? Very curious about the battery life. I'm starting to think this might be my next phone - held one yesterday and it didn't seem as big as I thought it would be. It also has a fingerprint reader, wireless charging, and a fantastic camera which are all somewhat important to me.

I've heard from reviews it was just as good as the Note 4.

It's good enough to get me through a day of usage. Usually get between 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours of screen time depending on what I'm doing and with the brightness on auto. The fact that it has fast charge and fast wireless charging helps with any issues I might run into but I usually don't have to put it on the charger until I head to bed. Haven't had to use power saving yet.

Toki767

Google Now also stopped telling me about packages that shipped and are being delivered. I guess they just broke up gmail integration completely.

Hoping someone here can help me out. I tried posting in the Android Pay thread but that seems to be pretty dead lately.

I have an LG G3 on Lollipop. I have Android Pay, but when I try to set it up I get the "Android Pay cannot be used" error message. My phone is not rooted. It used to be, but I lost root when updating to Lollipop and never bothered to root again. I even double checked with Titanium Backup and it could not get SU access, so I'm pretty sure I did lose root.

I Googled but could not find anything about that error on unrooted phones. Hoping someone here might have run into similar issues. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jzero

Hoping someone here can help me out. I tried posting in the Android Pay thread but that seems to be pretty dead lately.

I have an LG G3 on Lollipop. I have Android Pay, but when I try to set it up I get the "Android Pay cannot be used" error message. My phone is not rooted. It used to be, but I lost root when updating to Lollipop and never bothered to root again. I even double checked with Titanium Backup and it could not get SU access, so I'm pretty sure I did lose root.

I Googled but could not find anything about that error on unrooted phones. Hoping someone here might have run into similar issues. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You just have to keep on trying. I had the same error the first two times that i tried.

Do we know what google's plan for Android Wear is? Any mention of a new Wear version? There seem to be little information about it. The only reason for me to get a Moto 360 is because it's a shiny new toy and I can control the audio player from my wrist. That's probably enough for me to spend money on it, but it would still be interesting to know if Google actually plans to do something with the platform.

Hasney

Do we know what google's plan for Android Wear is? Any mention of a new Wear version? There seem to be little information about it. The only reason for me to get a Moto 360 is because it's a shiny new toy and I can control the audio player from my wrist. That's probably enough for me to spend money on it, but it would still be interesting to know if Google actually plans to do something with the platform.

Well the 29th will be to show off a bit more of M as well as the phones, so there might be a small amount of watch talk too.

If you ask -Pyromaniac- nice enough, he might hit you up with a PM. :)

Also Pyro ... you need an account, perhaps Twitter, for leaking stuff, like "Crazy Buttocks on an Android" or something like that!

pyleaks

it was bound to happen. 5.7 inches lol. QHD lol.

It's a shame because imo if you're going to go huge then everything should be amazing.

but the Note 4 (and 5) are 5.7" QHD and have good battery life...

Groof

it was bound to happen. 5.7 inches lol. QHD lol.

It's a shame because imo if you're going to go huge then everything should be amazing.

Yeah I know. It was such a compelling device though. N5x better bring it, but I have exactly -72 faith in Google to learn how to battery.

Reckoner

It's amazing how Samsung has been at 5.7" and QHD for 2 years now and their battery life is best in class.

But LOL Touchwiz amirite

I've seen conflicting reports on that. Not sure what to believe, tbh.

I'm at a point where I feel like lower resolution is better than this QHD madness.

I'm at a point where I feel like lower resolution is better than this QHD madness.
I've seem more reviews pop up saying battery isn't as good as it used to be but in the end I blame touchwiz and usage. The apps people use have crazy effects on battery life. All it takes is 1 app that one reviewer has and another doesn't.

And yes 1080p is goodenough.jpg. I'm not against QHD but the battery better be Moto X play size.

Well the 29th will be to show off a bit more of M as well as the phones, so there might be a small amount of watch talk too.

I didn't know that they're going to show more of 6.0 during the event. Hopefully we'll see more watch stuff as well. But the lack of NFC in the newer watches, including the Huawei Watch, doesn't give me the impression that the platform is a priority for Google. Again, I don't care a single bit about NFC, but it seems that there seems to be little collaboration between the teams and the goals they're aiming for. It seems very Microsoft-ish, in a way.

rick.png

So I don't understand, major event in multiple cities and marketing campaign for a midrange device? I wonder what the big selling point is for them to be this confident people will give a shit.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I've seem more reviews pop up saying battery isn't as good as it used to be but in the end I blame touchwiz and usage. The apps people use have crazy effects on battery life. All it takes is 1 app that one reviewer has and another doesn't.

The version of android matters too. Note 4 on 5.01 (at&t) has garbage battery life.

I'm pretty happy with the QHD on my Note 4, I could go back to 1080p but why?

I also have a 4K TV, why would I go back to 1080p?

Hey everyone,

Does the Moto G 2015 work on verizon? It's GSM so I have doubts. I have the unlimited data plan and want to buy unlocked to keep the plan going.

Thanks.

Reckoner

It's just my opinion. I feel like the trade off on battery isn't worth it for a negligible difference on display quality. The Z5 Compact being 720p actually makes me glad. But I don't hide that the Compact Premium is even cooler, mostly because of the 4gb and that the 1080p doesn't come alone - it also gets a bump on the battery side.

Ty4on

To get better GPU and battery performance?

Vinyl is kinda a good analog (pun not intended) because it captures much more than CDs, but the extra frequencies are inaudible to human ears so we downgraded to get a much more practical format. I'm not saying vinyl is better than CD, just that it captured frequencies above 44khz which CDs left out.

Game publishers discovered this with the 360/PS3 generation. The consoles were technically able to output 1080p and many owned a 1080p display, but trading resolution for other graphical effects was worth it.

Blackhead

Redarse

...there was a big update adding interactive watchfaces and partnering with fitness companies like Under Armour about a month ago (August 20, 2015).

10cvhMK.gif

Save on your electricity? Obviously.

But the battery on my Note 4 is fine. I mean my 1440p Note 4 gets the same battery life that my 720p Note II did.

It's just my opinion. I feel like the trade off on battery isn't worth it for a negligible difference on display quality. The Z5 Compact being 720p actually makes me glad. But I don't hide that the Compact Premium is even cooler, mostly because of the 4gb and that the 1080p doesn't come alone - it also gets a bump on the battery side.

I went from 720p to 1440p and the display quality difference is not negligible. It's very noticeable. I'm having no battery trade off either, so it's been a win-win for me. /shrug

Hey everyone,

Does the Moto G 2015 work on verizon? It's GSM so I have doubts. I have the unlimited data plan and want to buy unlocked to keep the plan going.

Thanks.
don't think so. I remember reading something about this like a week ago and apparently it only supports the XLTE band so unless there's that everywhere you go, it will be shitty.

So you shouldn't get it :p

don't think so. I remember reading something about this like a week ago and apparently it only supports the XLTE band so unless there's that everywhere you go, it will be shitty.

So you shouldn't get it :p

Thanks... So is there anything in that price range that you recommend on verizon? I just want a smooth experience browsing and playing videos.

But the battery on my Note 4 is fine. I mean my 1440p Note 4 gets the same battery life that my 720p Note II did.

I went from 720p to 1440p and the display quality difference is not negligible. It's very noticeable. I'm having no battery trade off either, so it's been a win-win for me. /shrug

I meant save electricity on your 4K TV.

I meant save electricity on your 4K TV.

LCD TV power usage doesn't change because of resolution. The backlights stay the same no matter what resolution the panel is. Power consumption measurements of 4K TVs show no changes from their 1080p antecedents.

LCD screens on phones are the same way as a matter of fact. There isn't increased battery consumption with a 1440p LCD on a phone vs. a 1080p LCD. The panel is illuminated by the same LED sidelights.

NeoFaff

Is this OT just for the phones? :p
I really want a 9" or 10" tablet that doesn't cost a fortune but isn't total ass like the nexus 9.
I know it isn't happening.

Thanks... So is there anything in that price range that you recommend on verizon? I just want a smooth experience browsing and playing videos.
an american is going to have to help you with that. Maybe try to find last years moto x for cheap? Not sure.

God damnit I just bought a new phone and now I'm falling into the nexus hype

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09...p-model-names/

Soon™

I should really listen to others more and not impulse buy lol
yooooooo they even whipping out new box designs

#5X #thelongAwaited #HighlyAnticipated

Jzero

that shit is game changer

Android OEMs better be copying every inch of this.

We definitely need this. Copying and pasting is fucking horrible on android devices.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...es-confirm-nexus-5x-and-nexus-6p-model-names/

Soon™

Aw Yiss. Gimme already. My credit card is ready. What does the P stand for again?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...es-confirm-nexus-5x-and-nexus-6p-model-names/

Soon™

Artem also confirmed in the Reddit thread that the Huawei final design does have the hump. He said to expect another post with more info soon. Sounds like AP got the motherload of final information, and as per usual blog posting tactics, they're going to drop it out over the next few days.

Quasar

We definitely need this. Copying and pasting is fucking horrible on android devices.

Its pretty terrible on all touch devices imo. Mostly due to selection being hard (compared to mice) and cross app wonkiness.

I cannot count the number of times even in ios9 where I copy text from one app and when I try and paste into other I cannot. Its like some apps cannot access the clipboard or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom