• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
They said anything about the cost of the 6p out of contract?

I have a Nexus 6. Does Google ever do an upgrade program or anything?

Artem (Android Police) said we would be pleasantly surprised by the pricing when someone suggested the 128gb would cost $699. I took that to mean the starting price would be well below $600 -- probably $500 for 32gb.

SimleuqiR

The battery life will still be terrible on both.

No hope for Nexus rip

LOL.
This is somewhat true. Google's emphasis on the Nexus line seems to be declining with every year.

Let's see how Sundar sounds next week during the unavailing.
This will be his first appearance since they made him CEO of Google.

The battery life will still be terrible on both.

No hope for Nexus rip

I checked out the LG G4 on GSM Arena and I was surprised that the battery on that phone is pretty average, even with 3,000 mAh. I was thinking about getting that one, if the price of the 5X should disappoint, but that's not going to happen.

Saiyan-Rox

I'm already stuck in the third step, where it should show me a "Firmware update" screen which it doesn't. It is just stuck on the "Download Mode" screen.

[edit]
Never mind, it just showed me the Firmware update screen when I posted this.

Always the way isnt it lol

Both the 5X and 6P look really good in those color options. Well, except for the gold 6P. That looks terrible, but I think all gold phones look terrible outside of the Platinum Gold S6.

tzare

I think the back of the phone is a more natural placement than front. Unless you want to unlock when sitting on your desk

Both the 5X and 6P look really good in those color options. Well, except for the gold 6P. That looks terrible, but I think all gold phones look terrible outside of the Platinum Gold S6.

The Xperia Z5 is the first phone I liked with anything gold on it. I wouldn't buy it, but I wouldn't react negatively either.

E: I just saw that the entire back of the Z5 is gold, too. I thought it was just the metal frame. I take everything I said back.

No Love

Banned
N6 has great battery life

For an android phone

I'm actually disappointed in my G4 battery life right now. I think I need to use GSAM and figure out if something is draining it. Ive debloated and frozen a lot of apps and also locked permissions for Keep Awake and Location...

Gonna try another battery and see if this one is faulty.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm actually disappointed in my G4 battery life right now. I think I need to use GSAM and figure out if something is draining it. Ive debloated and frozen a lot of apps and also locked permissions for Keep Awake and Location...

I said N6.

And it was a joke anyway.

The Xperia Z5 is the first phone I liked with anything gold on it. I wouldn't buy it, but I wouldn't react negatively either.

E: I just saw that the entire back of the Z5 is gold, too. I thought it was just the metal frame. I take everything I said back.
Yeah, it would look a lot better if it was just the frame that was gold. Black and gold go so well together.

Ty4on

Is it though? The battery life is way superior than what i got from my Nexus 5
Depends on the usage. In all of the heavy tasks (screen on all the time) with the screen set to 200 nits Anandtech and Ars tested the Nexus 5 beat it:
69109.png
Review-chart-template-final-full-width.010.jpg
200 nits is quite bright though. Most laptops struggle to reach it and the best phones top at 500. Lying in your pocket with the power hungry screen turned off is a different scenario as well

VoxPop

Depends on the usage. In all of the heavy tasks (screen on all the time) with the screen set to 200 nits Anandtech and Ars tested the Nexus 5 beat it:

200 nits is quite bright though. Most laptops struggle to reach it and the best phones top at 500. Lying in your pocket with the power hungry screen turned off is a different scenario as well

Strange that the S5 has better battery than both the Plus and Note

At this point, why not just upgrade to the 5x, at the minimum, it would be worth it just for lte.

I would but with the state of the Canadian dollar right now it's looking like it won't be less than $550 and that's way, way too much. I'm perfectly fine with the N4 (minus the garbage camera) for a while longer as long as I can fix the power button... and the power button isn't a sign of things to come.

jokkir

I would but with the state of the Canadian dollar right now it's looking like it won't be less than $550 and that's way, way too much. I'm perfectly fine with the N4 (minus the garbage camera) for a while longer as long as I can fix the power button... and the power button isn't a sign of things to come.

I'm dreading the price of the new Nexus devices in Canada. I really need to replace my Nexus 4 soon ;(

Drifters

I really hope Google locks down Android 6 and forces the ASOP in partners much akin at Red Hat and Fedora do business. It would make so much more sense...
5.5 that is.

Ty4on

Strange that the S5 has better battery than both the Plus and Note

1080p and the test could favour something specific to the phone. Note the iPhones winning in Anandtech's test and losing in Ars'.
The S5 also had a really efficient display which makes a big difference when displaying tons of white web pages:

Saiyan-Rox

I tried downloading drivers before, but it says I already have the latest. I have a EU phone as well if that matters.

I can look at your link. I chose "LG G3 (all variants)."

[edit]
It have successfully installed.

Koo has the problem been fixed in device manager?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yo the 6P looks hot. Gonna get one in white. Finally we get a different and interesting design. The 5X is boring.

i don't get it.

Google releases a stock device.

why do people want stock on some other non-Google device?

just get the Nexus!
Yeah. I hate reading posts where they knowingly bought a skinned device then complain about untimely updates. It's your fault, people.

Saiyan-Rox

No, there's still a triangle. But instead of saying "LG G3", it now says "LGE Android MTP Device" with a triangle. I am on the "Firmware Update" screen on my phone by the way.

Huh how did you install the drivers? Getting the device to register in these mods is a pain. Guessing the LG software still can't find it?

Toki767

I'm pretty sure there is some type of Odin program for LG phones that will just allow you to flash stock firmware back on a phone.

Pachimari

Huh how did you install the drivers? Getting the device to register in these mods is a pain. Guessing the LG software still can't find it?

I just downloaded and installed, and it said drivers was successfully installed on my computer. And the LG FlashTool still fails, but it doesn't start the process until I remove my device from the usb cable which is weird.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus fever. I don't think the 6P is at all an upgrade from the 6. But I'm still excited for it. It looks p good.

I'll get it in white. It looks like the damn Wall-E robot.

No, there's still a triangle. But instead of saying "LG G3", it now says "LGE Android MTP Device" with a triangle. I am on the "Firmware Update" screen on my phone by the way.

Google man. Most people are down to help out for a post or two, but I doubt people are interested in providing tech support for much more then that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WgXuxDbmbc

http://lgg3root.com/lg-g3-root/how-to-unrootunbrick-lg-g3/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2799647

Saiyan-Rox

I just downloaded and installed, and it said drivers was successfully installed on my computer. And the LG FlashTool still fails, but it doesn't start the process until I remove my device from the usb cable which is weird.

Blegh I was hoping it would be a DLL.

I'm not sure what else to suggest at this point. Have you checked the XDA forums? It showing as an MTP device seems wrong though.

Ah better drivers in the XDA post above.

Madridista,

The LG software looks similar to Samsung's ODIN, which I had issues with trying to set up. Contrary to instructions, I could only get the phone to recognize if it booted into download mode directly from the reboot menu, which kept the phone on and "recognized in the odin software. if I powered the phone down or used the buttons to initiate the mode it would not detect. Have you tried that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom