• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's not even out yet..

if you're going by spec's, why is the Moto X Pure apparently janky and my phones/tablets not even though they have "worse specs"

The Nexus Line used to meant "Benchmark" phone that others manufacturers have to emulate. It was Google's vision of what the Android phone should go.

It's not that anymore. The Xiaomi Mi4c has almost the exact same specs for just over $200.

Your Moto X Pure is janky because it's running a quad HD screen while your other phones aren't. Simple as that.

VoxPop

"One M9 (Cold)"

LOLOL

Do they actually perform worse when they turn into ovens?

Also wasn't Samsung already outed for having benchmark cheating software built into their phones?

Reckoner

3D Touch is a nice feature being blown out of all proportion. For a phone, android apps are fine (not so much for a tablet).

If you value a 2-3 day battery then jump on the Z5c. If you value film-flam just because tech blogs are swooning, grab an iPhone.

The thing is that I've used both platforms, and the Apps on the iPhone always feel more solid, have more frequent updates... Even some Google apps are better on the iPhone. And Sony doesn't put much confidence on their products when even their Sony Wena smartwatch has a companion app EXCLUSIVE to iOS. That's mostly what bothers me. If it wasn't for that, I would get the Z5c without thinking too much.

kami_sama

About 1100 single 3500 multi

Whenever leaks contradict Android Police (who are convinced it's 3GB RAM) I am less likely to believe them. Their track record like Gurman with Apple stuff makes them trustworthy.

Yeah, it's the only sliver of hope I have. They have leaked a lot of things about the two nexuses (most probably with help from google), so I suppose they know the specs, only they can tell anyone.

About 1100 single 3500 multi

Whenever leaks contradict Android Police (who are convinced it's 3GB RAM) I am less likely to believe them. Their track record like Gurman with Apple stuff makes them trustworthy.

I agree. Android Police has said they're confused by all the 2gb RAM talk as their source has consistently said 3gb. They, too, have hypothesized that maybe the 16gb might have 2gb and the 32gb, 3gb. The Moto G does something similar, and I'm sure that other devices have as well.

Considering AP nailed every other detail about both devices, it would be odd for them to get the RAM wrong, of all things.

Toki767

I agree. Android Police has said they're confused by all the 2gb RAM talk as their source has consistently said 3gb. They, too, have hypothesized that maybe the 16gb might have 2gb and the 32gb, 3gb. The Moto G does something similar, and I'm sure that other devices have as well.

Considering AP nailed every other detail about both devices, it would be odd for them to get the RAM wrong, of all things.
The G3 did it and this is LG so I wouldn't be surprised.

kami_sama

The G3 did it and this is LG so I wouldn't be surprised.

And it's been more prevalent as of late (if I remember right), with the Moto G and the OPT.
Also, if the 6P has a metal body that means no wireless charging, right? NFC still works with a metal body, no?

Saiyan-Rox

Guess Nexus people won't have to wait too long.

ap_resize.php

People are for some reason taking that list to mean other nexus arent getting the update.

Wonder if this update has some magic for the N9.....

Nah

jwk94

My girlfriend loves to draw and so I'm trying to decide if I should get her a Galaxy Tab S2, Galaxy Tab Pro 7 (is that last year's model?), or the iPad Air 1st gen. What say you, GAF?

Jzero

My girlfriend loves to draw and so I'm trying to decide if I should get her a Galaxy Tab S2, Galaxy Tab Pro 7 (is that last year's model?), or the iPad Air 1st gen. What say you, GAF?

Might as well buy her a graphics tablet. Non dedicated Tablets suck for drawing. I just bought an active stylus for my Windows tablet and it's meh.

There's a rumour from sammobile that samsung might announce the S7 early in February similar to how they announced the Note 5 earlier. I wouldn't blame them tbh. More time between them and the iphone.

There's a rumour from sammobile that samsung might announce the S7 early in February similar to how they announced the Note 5 earlier. I wouldn't blame them tbh. More time between them and the iphone.

Someone needs to end this skip year as soon as possible. It might as well be Samsung, who knows.

VoxPop

I can say with 100% certainty they will have some boozy implementation of 3D touch. Maybe even more pressure sensitivity making it 4D. But only works with TouchWiz.

So far theres rumours the S7 could have dual cameras, could come in two different sizes, and other weird shit. Will be funny to see what shakes out. 2016 is an upgrade year for me, if they release an S6 with an 820 and a 3000mah battery I might consider it for real.

reKon

Banned
beast specs beast features beast errrythang

if only someone stepped up and made an android equivalent (google pls)

iPhone always has beast specs and great performance on launch, but I still hate the look and design of iOS. I feel like it doesn't get enough criticism there. It's smooth and it's improved a lot over the years, but it's still ugly, boring, and more limited than it should be. 3D touch will help a lot those in terms of OS navigation, which is faster on Lollipop/Android M.

iPhone always has beast spec's and great performance on launch, but I still hate the look and design of iOS. I feel like it doesn't get enough criticism there. It's smooth and it's improved a lot over the years, but it's still ugly, boring, and more limited than it should be. 3D touch will help a lot those in terms of OS navigation, which is faster on Lollipop/Android M.
doesn't get much criticism because a lot of it is personal preference. I don't mind it at all. I don't find android to be better looking in any way other than the notification shade, which looks nicer and feels nicer than on iOS.

Toki767

But it'll only have been 5 months between the 6S and the S7. Samsung seems to be on some weird 10-11 month cycle for phones. Not even a year. The S8 will be announced in January and the S9 will be announced in December at this rate.

VoxPop

So far theres rumours the S7 could have dual cameras, could come in two different sizes, and other weird shit. Will be funny to see what shakes out. 2016 is an upgrade year for me, if they release an S6 with an 820 and a 3000mah battery I might consider it for real.

Why would you want an 820 when their Exynos chips blow everything away already? And their batteries are already 2500mah so its not out of the realm of reality. I'll consider Samsung when they stop trying to be a poor man's Apple and do something revolutionary.

Why would you want an 820 when theyre Exynos chips blow everything away already? And their batteries are already 2500mah so its not out of the realm of reality. I'll consider Samsung when they stop trying to be a poor man's Apple and do something revolutionary.
I like the sound of the tech in the 820. Lots of impressive features. Quickcharge 3.0 being one of those woo wooooo.

I'm of the belief that most modern and good chips have extremely negligible performance differences in real world use so it's features like quickcharge 3.0 that will be the different makers for me.

Why would you want an 820 when theyre Exynos chips blow everything away already? And their batteries are already 2500mah so its not out of the realm of reality. I'll consider Samsung when they stop trying to be a poor man's Apple and do something revolutionary.
to me it's out of the realm because they'll have to give up on the whole thinness thing, or make a bigger phone. I wonder which one they're gonna do, ugh.

Toki767

I like the sound of the tech in the 820. Lots of impressive features. Quickcharge 3.0 being one of those woo wooooo.

I'm of the belief that most modern and good chips have extremely negligible performance differences in real world use so it's features like quickcharge 3.0 that will be the different makers for me.

to me it's out of the realm because they'll have to give up on the whole thinness thing, or make a bigger phone. I wonder which one they're gonna do, ugh.

Samsung phones may not officially support Quick Charge 3.0, but you'd better believe they'll probably have their own version of it that works the same way and thus is compatible.

Samsung phones may not officially support Quick Charge 3.0, but you'd better believe they'll probably have their own version of it that works the same way and thus is compatible.
I'm sure samsung is just ripping off qualcomms quickcharging tech somehow so they don't have to pay royalties (for exynos) but 3.0 sounds pretty complex. I like this part specifically:

How does it work? Quick Charge 3.0 employs Intelligent Negotiation for Optimum Voltage (INOV), an algorithm which allows your portable device to determine what power level to request at any point in time, enabling optimum power transfer while maximizing efficiency. It also supports wider voltage options, allowing a mobile device to dynamically adjust to the ideal voltage level supported by that specific device. Specifically, Quick Charge 3.0 offers a more granular range of voltages: 200mV increments, from 3.6V to 20V. That way your phone can target one of dozens of power levels

because it most definitely isn't good to be pumping so much more power to your phone all the time so it would be cool if it regulated itself. But again I'm sure samsung can rip this off too. As long as it's the same feature wise I don't care what's in it but I wouldn't be sad at all if it was the 820 is my main point.

VoxPop

I've always wondered if Quickcharge is a technology on its own. I charge my iPhone with my iPad charger and its like 3x as fast compared to the standard one you get with the phone.

Android needs a new market leader to lead the way but there's no one in sight. Hoping a new company pops up with a better strategy than "just copy/insult iPhone". The Moto/Google partnership looked promising but that was a huge dud. It'll be a while.

EmiPrime

A thicker 6S with a 3000 mah battery and OIS running Android 6.0 would be my perfect phone.

I like iOS' aesthetics a lot, Apple just need to stop babying their users, make springboard not suck and copy Android's notifications.

jwk94

The Pure has it worse honestly to my eyes and there isn't a way to fix it on the Pure so far. I guess I just like a cooler temperature display.

Just look at this Pure display compared to a normal one

196782d1442267954t-my-moto-x-pure-edition-screen-has-yellow-tint-img_0362.jpg
What's wrong with that phone? I just went to that site and mine doesn't look like that.

thefil

I have a question about Android. I'm an iPhone 4S user and my phone is getting long in the tooth. App launching/switching is slow, iOS8 extensions take forever to launch and my battery is starting to go. I'm probably going to upgrade to a iPhone 6S or Nexus 5X before year-end.

I've found serviceable-looking replacements for most of my most-used apps, but I am wondering how sharing between apps works on iOS. Since iOS8 I constantly use share extensions to send articles to Instapaper, Pinboard, or tweet things I found interesting.

The way this works is: you hit the share button in an app, and a bunch of other apps provide handlers for these shares so you tap the "instapaper" one or whatever and the article is saved to your account.

Does this work as effectively in Android?

*edit* P.S. not trying to start anything genuinely naive.

What's wrong with that phone? I just went to that site and mine doesn't look like that.

Do you have another phone to compare it with side by side? The one I bought was exactly like the one in the picture. I've also seen the yellow in several of the review videos online.

VoxPop

A thicker 6S with a 3000 mah battery and OIS running Android 6.0 would be my perfect phone.

I like iOS' aesthetics a lot, Apple just need to stop babying their users, make springboard not suck and copy Android's notifications.

Sounds great. But I'd rather just have iOS with a better notification center and the availability of launchers. Everything else I'd rather have iOS' implementation. But both are semi remedied by jailbreaking so yeah. Useless things like a file system, widgets, themes and what not are already available via jailbreak too. Just gimme that 6 Plus battery in the 6 form factor, LED notification light and a higher res screen.

I also love how Apple copied Blinkfeed (my favorite feature of Sense) with the News app widget in spotlight.

Toki767

I have a question about Android. I'm an iPhone 4S user and my phone is getting long in the tooth. App launching/switching is slow, iOS8 extensions take forever to launch and my battery is starting to go. I'm probably going to upgrade to a iPhone 6S or Nexus 5X before year-end.

I've found serviceable-looking replacements for most of my most-used apps, but I am wondering how sharing between apps works on iOS. Since iOS8 I constantly use share extensions to send articles to Instapaper, Pinboard, or tweet things I found interesting.

The way this works is: you hit the share button in an app, and a bunch of other apps provide handlers for these shares so you tap the "instapaper" one or whatever and the article is saved to your account.

Where do you think iOS got the idea of sharing between apps? It's amazing on Android.

yup

CronoShot

So this just came in

20150924_164924.jpg

First impressions:

- I thought I wouldn't like the texture on the back, but it's really nice.
- Phone launcher crashed on me while I was downloaded apps and setting it up, but has been fine since.
- Also got a bit warm during setup, but not super hot.
- Screen is a bit disappointing. Colors are a bit muted (reminds me of the Nexus 5). Maybe I'm just used to OLED screens.
- Stuck on Oxygen OS 2.0.2, since it isn't prompting me for 2.1 yet. Which sucks, because the white balance controls that come in 2.1 may help the screen (seems a bit blue out of the box).
- Fingerprint scanner has worked every single time, no misses. More than I can say for the Note 5.
- It doesn't charge horrendously slow, but I do miss quick charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom