• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this just came in

http://s28.postimg.org/z7wgtnbod/20150924_164924.jpg

First impressions:

- I thought I wouldn't like the texture on the back, but it's really nice.
- Phone launcher crashed on me while I was downloaded apps and setting it up, but has been fine since.
- Also got a bit warm during setup, but not super hot.
- Screen is a bit disappointing. Colors are a bit muted (reminds me of the Nexus 5). Maybe I'm just used to OLED screens.
- Stuck on Oxygen OS 2.0.2, since it isn't prompting me for 2.1 yet. Which sucks, because the white balance controls that come in 2.1 may help the screen (seems a bit blue out of the box).
- Fingerprint scanner has worked every single time, no misses. More than I can say for the Note 5.
- It doesn't charge horrendously slow, but I do miss quick charging.
nexus 5 didn't have muted colours from what I remember. If you're coming from OLED then that explains it.

It just happens to be a bad display. My friend's Moto X looks great.

Here's another pic from another review

moto-x-2015-21.jpg

Noema

ArsTechnica Review of the X Pure is up

ArsTechnica said:
The good

Good specs and great build quality, especially for the price.
At $400, substantially cheaper than other phones in its category.
Moto Maker customization gives the phone some character that competitors don't have.
Includes NFC and quick charging, unlike the OnePlus Two.
Expandable storage, useful for you Samsung Galaxy S6 and Note 5 haters.
Android without tons of extraneous apps or heavy skins.

The bad

Mediocre camera, again.
Only OK battery life.

Not the fastest flagship out there, though the price helps absorb that blow.
Missing wireless charging and a fingerprint reader, though those were probably the right features to cut to save money.

The ugly

The Moto X got real big, real fast.

Reckoner

Moto pulling another Moto.

It's always the same shit. They got me last year with all the hype surrounding the Moto X 2014 "The best Android smartphone" bla bla bla. Not again.

They will only make me consider another of their phones once they make one with Moto X 2013 size and similar design with better materials, good camera, good battery life and a FREAKING CALIBRATED SCREEN.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A thicker 6S with a 3000 mah battery and OIS running Android 6.0 would be my perfect phone.

I like iOS' aesthetics a lot, Apple just need to stop babying their users, make springboard not suck and copy Android's notifications.

I still want widgets

Saiyan-Rox

So this just came in

20150924_164924.jpg

First impressions:

- I thought I wouldn't like the texture on the back, but it's really nice.
- Phone launcher crashed on me while I was downloaded apps and setting it up, but has been fine since.
- Also got a bit warm during setup, but not super hot.
- Screen is a bit disappointing. Colors are a bit muted (reminds me of the Nexus 5). Maybe I'm just used to OLED screens.
- Stuck on Oxygen OS 2.0.2, since it isn't prompting me for 2.1 yet. Which sucks, because the white balance controls that come in 2.1 may help the screen (seems a bit blue out of the box).
- Fingerprint scanner has worked every single time, no misses. More than I can say for the Note 5.
- It doesn't charge horrendously slow, but I do miss quick charging.

The scanner got worse with 2.1 for me. Lag with detecting and not as sensitive either.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The S years of iPhone are better. They're not a show stopper for the media because they look the same. But they're better. Leaps and bounds better. And I'm not just talking about performance. It's way more than that.

I think that’s a trap — a way to be fooled by your eyes. If you put aside what the phones look like, the S model years have brought some of the biggest changes to the platform. The display changes came in non-S years, of course — the iPhone 4 going retina; the iPhone 5 expanding from 3.5 to 4 inches diagonally and changing the aspect ratio; and of course last year’s 6/6 Plus expanding to 4.7 and 5.5 inches and higher display resolutions. But it was the 3GS that first improved on CPU performance and gave us the first improvements to the camera. The 4S ushered in Siri integration and a much faster camera. The 5S was Apple’s first 64-bit ARM device, years ahead of the competition, and was the first device with Touch ID.

I used to think — and maybe it was even true — that one of the advantages to Apple of the tick-tock cycle is that during the S years, they’re already experts at manufacturing a bunch of the components. That they’ve already got a year of experience making that case, that display, those buttons. That manufacturing-wise, Apple could just swap in a few new components, like a new A-series CPU, and call it a day. But the iPhones 6S don’t use the same case as last year’s models. They’re now made out of an altogether new “7000 series” aluminum alloy. This isn’t just a new material that needs to be obtained in massive quantities, it also requires new CNC machining to carve and polish the frames. The displays are the same sizes as last year, but Apple is using a new glass that it calls “the strongest in the smartphone industry”.2 Even the Touch ID sensor is new. Everything you can touch on the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus is new.

Internally, Apple has added force sensors to enable 3D Touch. They’ve replaced the chintzy old vibrating engine with a “Taptic” engine. Both LTE and Wi-Fi now support faster speeds (and LTE supports more bands, increasing compatibility with networks around the world). The camera now supports 4K video and shoots better (and bigger) still photos. On the iPhone 6S Plus, image stabilization now works with video in addition to stills. The CPU and GPU improvements in the A9 system-on-a-chip are more dramatic compared to the A8 than the A8 was to the A7.

Apple has even — dare I say finally — increased the amount of RAM, from 1 GB to 2.

I'm really excited about the new vibration. Phone vibration sucks. It's supposed to be a silent but noticeable way for your phone to notify you. But vibrate is louder than a mild ring, to be honest. It's been a poor user experience. I'm glad someone is addressing it. Any surprise it's Apple who's fixing the experience instead of upgrading a spec?

VoxPop

I always preferred keep because of its simplicty.

Just downloaded it on my M7. Not a big fan.. Evernote has way too many features I can't give up for the sake of simplicity..

Just did a side by side screen at max brightness comparison for the hell of it after seeing that moto x pic and wow the iPhone 6 screen is way brighter and way more crisp than the M7 even with the shattered screen. I understand its an old phone but the M7 at max brightness isn't even as bright as the 6 on 1/3rd brightness.

The S years of iPhone are better. They're not a show stopper for the media because they look the same. But they're better. Leaps and bounds better. And I'm not just talking about performance. It's way more than that.

I'm really excited about the new vibration. Phone vibration sucks. It's supposed to be a silent but noticeable way for your phone to notify you. But vibrate is louder than a mild ring, to be honest. It's been a poor user experience. I'm glad someone is addressing it. Any surprise it's Apple who's fixing the experience instead of upgrading a spec?

who wrote that? Jonathan "Jony" Ive?

I have a question about Android. I'm an iPhone 4S user and my phone is getting long in the tooth. App launching/switching is slow, iOS8 extensions take forever to launch and my battery is starting to go. I'm probably going to upgrade to a iPhone 6S or Nexus 5X before year-end.

I've found serviceable-looking replacements for most of my most-used apps, but I am wondering how sharing between apps works on iOS. Since iOS8 I constantly use share extensions to send articles to Instapaper, Pinboard, or tweet things I found interesting.

The way this works is: you hit the share button in an app, and a bunch of other apps provide handlers for these shares so you tap the "instapaper" one or whatever and the article is saved to your account.

Does this work as effectively in Android?

*edit* P.S. not trying to start anything genuinely naive.

get the 6S+

Admodieus

Have been trying to talk myself into a Note 5 all week with the rumored 5X spec downgrade (2GB of ram, no 64 GB option) but then I realized if I'm open to buying a 5.7" phone, I should take a hard look at the 6P. What are the chances that the camera on the 6P is actually above average?

Have been trying to talk myself into a Note 5 all week with the rumored 5X spec downgrade (2GB of ram, no 64 GB option) but then I realized if I'm open to buying a 5.7" phone, I should take a hard look at the 6P. What are the chances that the camera on the 6P is actually above average?

0. The Google camera software sucks.

above average? The hater in me says no but I'd say good chances. And we still don't know the specs for the 5x in its entirety (other than the no 64gb).

One of the more credible leaks said the 5X had a better sensor and camera than the 6P. So, there's that.

CronoShot

That's because Samsung's AMOLED is superior to LCD on every way except maybe maximum brightness when standing outside looking at your phone at noon in the Sahara Desert

Fixed.

From personal experience, the AMOLED screens used on last year's Moto X and the Nexus 6 were awful. Terrible brightness, way too much saturation, and dull, grainy whites.

Samsung's AMOLED screens have basically no weaknesses though, other than potential burn-in I guess.

Fixed.

From personal experience, the AMOLED screens used on last year's Moto X and the Nexus 6 were awful. Terrible brightness, way too much saturation, and dull, grainy whites.

Samsung's AMOLED screens have basically no weaknesses though, other than potential burn-in I guess.

Yep, Moto uses cheap panels including with their amoleds last year.

Fixed.

Yep.

There is no display on a smartphone that looks as good as a Samsung AMOLED.

anything is possible. you need to decide on what color Note 5 you want.

That's because AMOLED is superior to LCD on every way except maybe maximum brightness when standing outside looking at your phone at noon in the Sahara Desert

have you been outside in the sun yet with auto brightness on? that thing is legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom