• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massa

it was a LG G3 I was trying to help someone with

No matter what the file just wouldn't flash

I'm running CM 12.1 on my G2 and it was rather easy. Just installed towelroot and TWRP apks, supersu from the Play store, rebooted into recovery then wipe and flash.

Hmm, first I bricked my iPhone 5 a year ago, and now I might have bricked my LG G3.
Shall be looking for a cheap phone soon.

Maybe the Samsung A3 is worth it in the short term?

Never get Samsung phones, specially low budget ones.

Can't you take your phone to LG to get it fixed?

3D touch is going to be awesome just like fingerprint sensor. It will take Android plebs a year or more to catch up.

Bit disappointing why Android makers still don't focus on 1-2 innovative features for every new phones they launch. Instead we are just getting bigger sharper screens, bigger mp camera, thinner chassis(at expense of battery life). Zzzz

No wonder i see people camping overnight for 6S launch, dont see that for Android phones.

It's called Google.

tzare

I'll probably sell it once I get my next Nexus. Or give it away to family. I haven't decided. I probably won't keep it.

I don't think there's much of a trade off to the iPhone, other than price. While the expensive Android phones still don't check all the boxes.

well that is your opinion. I have mine and some others could argue too depending of the phone of your choice or needs: no expandable storage, expensive, low resolution screen, battery life (4,7 version) , removable battery, no multitasking, no spen, ni or blaster, no fm radio, big bezels,no waterproof, no 4K video until now...

And android phones are usually cheaper, only a few are in the same price range than iphones, and those usually tick the same boxes. Oh , you do not like it because it is a samsung. oh well. your loss.

Haven't read anything on the usual Android sites ... has there been an update/new leak about the 2GB RAM specs from Amazon India?

It's called Google.
Huh? In what way does Google tell the companies which make their own Android smartphones, how they have to make them? I *really* doubt Sony did ask Google if it is ok/a good idea to put a 4K (simulating?) display in their Z5 Premium.

Btw.: "bigger sharper screens, bigger mp camera, thinner chassis(at expense of battery life)" is for me, the perfect definition of Apples iPhone roadmap... and everybody tries to copy that.

linkboy

I so hate my damn phone (nexus 5 running cyanogenmod).

It's a laggy piece of shit and now it won't switch to my rear camera.

😠

Pachimari

Never get Samsung phones, specially low budget ones.

Can't you take your phone to LG to get it fixed?
Yeah, I generally don't like Samsung phones at all.

I think my warranty has expired but I might see if the store can help me out. I can't remember if we in Scandinavia automatically have 2 years of warranty.

Groof

Huh? In what way does Google tell the companies which make their own Android smartphones, how they have to make them? I *really* doubt Sony did ask Google if it is ok/a good idea to put a 4K (simulating?) display in their Z5 Premium.

Btw.: "bigger sharper screens, bigger mp camera, thinner chassis(at expense of battery life)" is for me, the perfect definition of Apples iPhone roadmap... and everybody tries to copy that.

An OEM can't introduce an API (something like Force Touch, or the Edge of the Galaxy line) and expect a ton of app developers to use it. Apple can do that and put it in so that developers have a common baseline to work on. Imagine if all Android OEM have their own set of APIs for their own features, it would be a mess.

Since Google has so much control over the direction of Android - if you want to use their services, that is - yes they are to blame for not coordinating things with the big OEMs and focusing on shitty things like Android One.

I think saying that they call it bad in comparison is wrong. They clearly state it's great but sometimes you'll have to fiddle a bit.
I feel like they're being pretty apologetic in that comparison. I don't think it's terrible. It's wayyyy better than past moto phones but it still goes to show that they have a lot of room for improvement.

And aint nobody fiddling.

An OEM can't introduce an API (something like Force Touch, or the Edge of the Galaxy line) and expect a ton of app developers to use it. Apple can do that and put it in so that developers have a common baseline to work on. Imagine if all Android OEM have their own set of APIs for their own features, it would be a mess.

Since Google has so much control over the direction of Android - if you want to use their services, that is - yes they are to blame for not coordinating things with the big OEMs and focusing on shitty things like Android One.
There is a difference between Apple dictating Hardware, Software and Features and Google trying to coordinate the needs, plans and wishes of n OEMs.

Maybe HTC and LG want Force Touch support (for example), yet Samsung doesn't and instead wants to push edge screens, what is a no-go for the rest?
You're in charge at Google for Android stuff ... how do you plan on cartering different OEMs with different ideas of what is an essential new feature? Have fun trying...
So, i don't see the problem letting the OEMs do their stuff, if the feature is a success and demand rises, other OEMs will follow as will an official support via AOSP.

On the other hand, dictating the stuff can be bad, too! Remember when Apple invented 3rd Party Keyboard-apps? How many years were they behind in that case?
Does Apple have wireless charging? Or rather, have they invented it yet?
Well, did you hear, Apple invented custom/3rd party watchfaces recently, man i wished Android or Pebble had that feature for quite some time or even from the very beginning.

Having to play along with the pace or the decisions of the ruler can be frustrating...

tzare

The approach is radically different, Apple has only one/two phones a year, and a few tablets. Plus most of them share specs or have similar ones. ANdroid is like windows, it is made for hundreds of different devices.
I am with you that sometimes their focus seems strange, like priorizing android one over say FingerPrintScanner API, that is why OEMs some times take their own approach like Bots are better than you said. But i guess is due to nature of Google itself.

Anyway, sometimes we are a bit dramatic, most phones do their job well and we act like minor issues (for some) are a huge wall to climb.

I so hate my damn phone (nexus 5 running cyanogenmod).

It's a laggy piece of shit and now it won't switch to my rear camera.

😠

I've been on stock Android the entire time, upgraded my Nexus 5 from the shipping version 4.4.2 all the way up to 5.1.1 , have never done a hard reset and the performance has yet to take a hit. Sorry that I can't help you, but I find that really interesting.

Anyone who's used an Atrix knows the answer.

I don't think such a person has ever existed.

Groof

I feel like they're being pretty apologetic in that comparison. I don't think it's terrible. It's wayyyy better than past moto phones but it still goes to show that they have a lot of room for improvement.

And aint nobody fiddling.
Considering it's such a huge improvement over previous years it's alright to be a bit apologetic I think. They probably just need to get their software in order. Who knows if they will but it is what it is.

I'm still leaning towards getting one though.

JOTO-Waterproof-iphone-6.jpg

problem solved

own one of these, used it in Thailand at Maya Bay (The Beach film location), worked perfectly

EmiPrime

I want to buy the Z5c, but the Apps/App Store and 3D Touch are killing me. What do I do Android Gaf?!

Wait a few months, let any manufacturing flaws iron themselves out (like the front and back cameras on the iPhone 6 last year), get opinions from people who have used either phone for longer than the 2 weeks reviewers tend to then make a decision.

Wait a few months, let any manufacturing flaws iron themselves out (like the front and back cameras on the iPhone 6 last year), get opinions from people who have used either phone for longer than the 2 weeks reviewers tend to then make a decision.

But if you wait few months, you might as well wait for the next iPhone.

Reckoner

I'm tired of using my W200i already. :( Both phones should come out next month in here, though. There should be plenty of reviews already.

reKon

Banned
So I've been using the Moto E for well over a week now. Complaints about flasgships not having high resolution screens are so fucking stupid. I would be fine with a 720P screen at even 5 inches if the phone had everything I needed. The trade off for better battery life is worth it.

Saying this because Moto E 2nd gen has 245 PPI screen and actually don't have issues with being able to see individual issues.

There is a difference between Apple dictating Hardware, Software and Features and Google trying to coordinate the needs, plans and wishes of n OEMs.

Not sure there's a lot of coordination, what I see is Google laying down some rules in order for OEMs to get Google Play Services.
And they flip flop on certain issues isn't helpful either (microsd cards, for example).

Maybe HTC and LG want Force Touch support (for example), yet Samsung doesn't and instead wants to push edge screens, what is a no-go for the rest?
You're in charge at Google for Android stuff ... how do you plan on cartering different OEMs with different ideas of what is an essential new feature? Have fun trying...
So, i don't see the problem letting the OEMs do their stuff, if the feature is a success and demand rises, other OEMs will follow as will an official support via AOSP.
I'm sure google knows beforehand that Huawei was going to come out with force fouch or Samsung with an edge screen or Sony with a 4k screen, therefore why not introduce that even as an incremental build and make OEMs stick to that API and eventually evolve it as necessary? Or at least let OEMs contribute that API to AOSP?

Google's role is to forsee what OEMs are trying to do.

On the other hand, dictating the stuff can be bad, too! Remember when Apple invented 3rd Party Keyboard-apps? How many years were they behind in that case?
Does Apple have wireless charging? Or rather, have they invented it yet?
Well, did you hear, Apple invented custom/3rd party watchfaces recently, man i wished Android or Pebble had that feature for quite some time or even from the very beginning.

Having to play along with the pace or the decisions of the ruler can be frustrating...
Yes but next year every new Android flagship will probably have force touch (because Apple and the perception of better specs) and yet it will at best take another year for a system-wide force touch because 1) google will only support it with the next version of Android and 2) it takes forever for devices to be updated to that version. So while google's "coordination" allows for technical freedom it is also a drag on OEMs and users because new features have to wait for google to catch up.

j-wood

Do i have to readd cards to android pay once they become "supported" or does it switch over automatically?

I keep seeing ads that visa supports android pay, but my amazon visa card still has a google pin.

Not sure there's a lot of coordination, what I see is Google laying down some rules in order for OEMs to get Google Play Services.

I'm sure google knows beforehand that Huawei was going to come out with force fouch or Samsung with an edge screen or Sony with a 4k screen, therefore why not introduce that even as an incremental build and make OEMs stick to that API and eventually evolve it as necessary? Or at least let OEMs contribute that API to AOSP?

Google's role is to forsee what OEMs are trying to do.
And i'm pretty sure that Google has little to no insight on what OEMs are doing on the hardware front, and i'm even sure they have no insight on the alterations the OEMs are doing on their Android branches, as long as the Play Services rules are not violated.

Google has nothing to do with the OEMs, we're not talking about some all roofing mother company where the OEMs have to answer too ... ironically, Apple would be such a company.

I have a nice situation quite similar, one company telling other what to to: Nintendo under Yamauchi around the NES/SNES/N64 eras, the result of this is well known.
And just because Apple has an iron curtain around iOS and their hardware business doesn't mean that Google can go around and tell n OEMs what they should do.

And i won't be surprised that even there is an official API for fingerprint scanners coming with Android M, the OEMs are at best use it as a base to extend their own stuff upon, if not downright ignoring it.

Yes but next year every new Android flagship will probably have force touch (because Apple and the perception of better specs) and yet it will at best take another year for a system-wide force touch because 1) google will only support it with the next version of Android and 2) it takes forever for devices to be updated to that version. So while google's "coordination" allows for technical freedom it is also a drag on OEMs and users because new features have to wait for google to catch up.
The only drag on users are the OEMs with their slow ass updates. Maybe less bloat on their branches would result in faster updates ... you know like Morotola does it.
So, like Apple with the iOS side, the OEMs are responsible for their own products.

Klotera

Do i have to readd cards to android pay once they become "supported" or does it switch over automatically?

I keep seeing ads that visa supports android pay, but my amazon visa card still has a google pin.

It's not just Visa that has to support it. The bank behind the card has to support it also. I also have an Amazon card, which is from Chase Bank. Unfortunately, they are not supported, despite being one of the biggest. Glad I was able to import from Google Wallet and still use it with a virtual card.

And i'm pretty sure that Google has little to no insight on what OEMs are doing on the hardware front, and i'm even sure they have no insight on the alterations the OEMs are doing on their Android branches, as long as the Play Services rules are not violated.

Google has nothing to do with the OEMs, we're not talking about some all roofing mother company where the OEMs have to answer too ... ironically, Apple would be such a company.

Come on, Google is collaborating with Huawei on the Nexus 6P. Of course they know what Huawei is up to (in this particular case). The same can be said, in some shape or form, with all the big OEMs out there (and the ones most likely to introduce new features).

I have a nice situation quite similar, one company telling other what to to: Nintendo under Yamauchi around the NES/SNES/N64 eras, the result of this is well known.
And just because Apple has an iron curtain around iOS and their hardware business doesn't mean that Google can go around and tell n OEMs what they should do.
It's not about telling them what to do, it's more about "hey any new functionality in your upcoming device? Maybe we should design an API together".

And i won't be surprised that even there is an official API for fingerprint scanners coming with Android M, the OEMs are at best use it as a base to extend their own stuff upon, if not downright ignoring it.
Yes there's an API for fingerprint scanners in Android M, but the cynic in me says google implemented it simply because of Android Pay.

The only drag on users are the OEMs with their slow ass updates. Maybe less bloat on their branches would result in faster updates ... you know like Morotola does it.
So, like Apple with the iOS side, the OEMs are responsible for their own products.
That's a bit harsh, while OEMs do drag a bit on updates carriers and chipset manufacturers taking their time on certifying the release/ updating their codebase (if they even bother to update).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
just buy the new Vertu and be done with it

ap_resize.php

Qualcomm® Snapdragon 810
5.2” 1080p, sapphire crystal
4GB RAM
21MP main camera with phase detect autofocus and twin dual tone LED flash
2.1MP wide aperture front camera
64GB of internal memory, 64GB uSD card,
Stereo High-fidelity 13mm x 18mm loudspeakers
Qi Compatible Wireless Charging
Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 2.0
3160mAh battery
Android 5.1 Lollipop
Dual-band WLAN 802.11 a,b,g,n,ac
NFC
LTE FDD Bands 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,13,17,20,25,28 & 29
LTE TDD Bands 38,39,40,41
WCDMA Bands I, II, IV, V, VIII
TD-SCDMA Bands 34, 39
Quadband GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Toki767

It's not just Visa that has to support it. The bank behind the card has to support it also. I also have an Amazon card, which is from Chase Bank. Unfortunately, they are not supported, despite being one of the biggest. Glad I was able to import from Google Wallet and still use it with a virtual card.

I hear that even though it has support, you lose out on actually getting the correct cash back points using a Chase card with Android Pay.

Ty4on

Cases for the Vertu start at 550€, the wireless charging pad is 495€.

The most expensive phone for 29k€ runs Nokia's stock OS (Series 40, not even Symbian) and has a 2'' QVGA display (that's 320x240, half the res of the first gen iPhone).

j-wood

The newest nexus 6 update has absolutely fucked my battery.

My screen on time is 30 minutes, and my phone has been off the charger for 3 and 1/2 hours. I'm already at 70%.

This is what infuriates me about android most. Does Google not have any fucking QA? My battery life was fine before this update. Android just randomly has things fuck up.

Is the new Moto X good? I just want a phone with good battery.

My screen on time is 30 minutes, and my phone has been off the charger for 3 and 1/2 hours. I'm already at 70%.

This is what infuriates me about android most. Does Google not have any fucking QA? My battery life was fine before this update. Android just randomly has things fuck up.

Don't get a Moto X if you want good battery.

What's the main thing draining your battery? That doesn't sound normal at all

j-wood

What's the main thing draining your battery? That doesn't sound normal at all

Google services is at 4% and the top of the list. But keep awake is only 13 minutes, CPU total is 8 minutes.

I rebooted hoping it would fix the issue last night. Same problem today.

CronoShot

Nexus 5X benchmark seems to confirm 2GB of RAM, Snapdragon 808, and not much of a performance increase over the Nexus 5 (although with pre-release software, that may change).

LG-Nexus-5X-2015-geekbench-benchmark-specs.png

Source

reKon

Banned
Nexus 5X benchmark seems to confirm 2GB of RAM, Snapdragon 808, and not much of a performance increase over the Nexus 5 (although with pre-release software, that may change).

LG-Nexus-5X-2015-geekbench-benchmark-specs.png

Source

Well it's not terrible since it will still run great for everyone, but my Xperia Z3 Compact still benches higher. Then my Tab S2 destroys that:

Reckoner

This might be the phone for you.

And those benches on the N5X are pretty terrible, let me tell ya.

Klotera

I hear that even though it has support, you lose out on actually getting the correct cash back points using a Chase card with Android Pay.

I could be wrong, but I believe that is in the case of cash back points that are tied to the merchant (i.e. 3x points at gas stations) since it will show as having paid to Google, not the merchant. If your points aren't tied to the merchant, should be fine.

reKon

Banned
lol, if that 5X is seriously shipping with only 2GB of RAM I don't even know what to say.

Could be a 2 GB and 3 GB model, but like I said, people over react on RAM spec's too much here. I bet that none of you max out 2 GB on devices that use stock or near stock android.

If there is a Nexus model that has 2 GB, I really hope that it's priced competitively.

Google services is at 4% and the top of the list. But keep awake is only 13 minutes, CPU total is 8 minutes.

I rebooted hoping it would fix the issue last night. Same problem today.

I know you shouldn't have to and I don't know what you're running, but I'd root, run xposed and install powernap and amplify if possible.

I lose like 1-2% in standby overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom