• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
399$ CAD
3 gigs ram
16 gigs storage (I don't care for storage)
5.2" screen size 1080P
Fingerprint sensor
1.8GHz Snapdragon 808 processor
Camera capable of taking pics like the latest LGs
Unlocked and Nexus Android

Day 1. Just make it happen fuck.

If only the Asus Zenphone had a fingerprint sensor.

jokkir

From a design point of view, I don't understand the new vertical scrolling for the Google Now Launcher app drawer. I'm specifically talking about Material Design here.

I feel the paper material should be scrolling upwards with the list of apps when scrolling down and not the icons disappearing off the edge of the paper. This would make it seem like a digital paper that you're scrolling on a virtual plane and would make sense with the entire digital material thing Google is trying to do.

https://elements.polymer-project.or...=paper-header-panel&view=demo:demo/index.html

Look at the Cover example and that's what I'm thinking this should have been. Place the search bar in a higher Z index casting a shadow over it and bam, fixed.

399$ CAD
3 gigs ram
16 gigs storage (I don't care for storage)
5.2" screen size 1080P
Fingerprint sensor
1.8GHz Snapdragon 808 processor
Camera capable of taking pics like the latest LGs
Unlocked and Nexus Android

Day 1. Just make it happen fuck.

If only the Asus Zenphone had a fingerprint sensor.

Pretty soon $399 Canadian is going to get you a Moto G.

Wreav

Banned
From a design point of view, I don't understand the new vertical scrolling for the Google Now Launcher app drawer. I'm specifically talking about Material Design here.

I feel the paper material should be scrolling upwards with the list of apps when scrolling down and not the icons disappearing off the edge of the paper. This would make it seem like a digital paper that you're scrolling on a virtual plane and would make sense with the entire digital material thing Google is trying to do.

https://elements.polymer-project.or...=paper-header-panel&view=demo:demo/index.html

Look at the Cover example and that's what I'm thinking this should have been. Place the search bar in a higher Z index casting a shadow over it and bam, fixed.

Trying to understand why Android doesn't have a cohesive design language is an exercise in futility.

Google isn't even trying anymore. They stepped their game up with Lollipop and Material Design, but now they're using less and less animations, the Google Now screen looks like crap and the app drawer didn't get any attention either. I'm surprised the button for the app drawer still transforms.

SimleuqiR

Trying to understand why Android doesn't have a cohesive design language is an exercise in futility.

Google isn't even trying anymore. They stepped their game up with Lollipop and Material Design, but now they're using less and less animations, the Google Now screen looks like crap and the app drawer didn't get any attention either. I'm surprised the button for the app drawer still transforms.

It's a third party launcher that has fixed one of the biggest visual UI issues the OS still has:

nexus2cee_thumbnail.gif

Mr. Duarte has really fallen off lately.

And yet every new app/redesign will get 500 1-star reviews complaining that it's not material.

Meanwhile, Google releases brand new apps on iOS like Keep that don't even use the swipe to go back gesture that has been standard for over 2 years now.

Wreav

Banned
And yet every new app/redesign will get 500 1-star reviews complaining that it's not material.

Meanwhile, Google releases brand new apps on iOS like Keep that don't even use the swipe to go back gesture that has been standard for over 2 years now.

iOS Hangouts supports it, that's all I need.

Do we know if the WiFi issue has been fixed in 6.0? I'm getting really tired of getting thrown off of my network on the N5 and then having to reboot it before it will connect again.

(Will Google ever allow me to send SMS messages through the Hangouts app on web/ChromeOS?)

jokkir

I've never understood the praise on him in the first place, given that he was responsible for Honeycomb and Holo.

Those were fine. It was a natural progression from what we had in Gingerbread and that's how we have Material Design now. Although, there are still lots of things I wish Material Design changed. I think it's pretty good design wise but a lot still needs to be ironed out.

Speaking of which, Google efforts for the web on their design is much better than their efforts on Android. It's weird.

Those were fine. It was a natural progression from what we had in Gingerbread and that's how we have Material Design now. Although, there are still lots of things I wish Material Design changed. I think it's pretty good design wise but a lot still needs to be ironed out.

Speaking of which, Google efforts for the web on their design is much better than their efforts on Android. It's weird.

Android isn't their biggest priority though so it's not that odd. Their web apps and ad services are their biggest money makers I believe.

I bet Motorola's marketing department would be really happy to see that this false assertion that their phones run stock has taken hold, even in an enthusiast environment.
I remember years ago when I pointed out that their code sol had references to blur and people just pushed that aside by saying it 'looked' stock.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Got the unlocked Gflex 2 on eBay for $249.99 in the mail earlier in the week and I am loving it so far. I was on the wait list for OnePlus 2 but the lack of NFC and microSD expansion, along with the stupidity of the wait list itself, put me off it. And the rumors about the 5.2 inch Nexus 5X (2GB RAM, S808, 16GB base model) are not impressive. Two years ago I bought the 32GB Nexus 5 for $399 and it pretty much trampled everything else released that year for performance other than the Galaxy Note 3.

Going back to an OEM skin was not my plan, but LG does a few great things: having the notification drop down and dual window buttons added to the on screen navigation keys is super useful. I use a notification replacement called Snowball, so when I want to use that I swipe down, but when I want LG's UI to turn off wifi or adjust settings quickly, I can just hit the down arrow at the bottom of the screen. Screen looks great set to vivid, and the battery life benefits from being 1080p instead of 1440p. Camera is right on par with what I've seen of a coworker's G3. It's an AT&T phone but it works with all of the T-Mobile LTE bands in my area flawlessly once I set the APN.

All I have to decide is if I want to root it to delete the AT&T garbage apps or just leave it as is and disable them. Other than that, putting Nova launcher and icon packs on it has it looking and behaving like my Nexus 5 with a few added features.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I love how the Verge does a camera shootout with the G4, 6s plus, and s6 edge+, where the Samsung phone wins all categories except like one, and yet the end result is....."meh, they're basically all the same, personal preference".

Toki767

I love how the Verge does a camera shootout with the G4, 6s plus, and s6 edge+, where the Samsung phone wins all categories except like one, and yet the end result is....."meh, they're basically all the same, personal preference".

Now that they wrote about that iPhone bias article, they can get away with that because they've finally admitted they were biased.

Nesotenso

can anyone tell me how long the Nexus 6 is going to be available at 350?
I was thinking of getting a Moto G but might get the Nexus at this price cut.

CronoShot

The Verge said that their iPhone bias is justified because the iPhone sells so much, and thus is immune to most criticism.

Do not read The Verge.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
The Verge said that their iPhone bias is justified because the iPhone sells so much, and thus is immune to most criticism.

Do not read The Verge.
It was bad even before they started featuring Mossberg articles. So yes, this is good advice.

kinggroin

Banned

So it looks like a treadmill you mean?

Reckoner

I almost fell like digging up old posts where people argued against me calling them iVerge

They always had a bias. Even Engadget Topolsky had it. But at least we had some good content during Topolsky's era.

About that comparison. Who really cares tho. We know what we get going Samsung or LG anyway.

Anyone else having issues with using Now to set reminders and it setting the time waaaaay off? After a small update after the whole Icon change if I try and set a reminder at 10pm it would set it at 4am. Or if I set it at noon it would set it at 1am

VoxPop

Anyone get their 6s yet? How you liking it?

My girl has one being delivered to her right now so I'll get to play with it before the end of the day. I don't see it being much different from the 6 except the additional RAM and 3D Touch. I'll leave some impressions if you want it.

It's strange. Ever since Blackberry changed the name of their device to the Priv, I went from being mildly curious/wanting one to not even wanting to touch it with a 10 ft pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom