• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ty_hot

Any thoughts about the Nexus 7 (2013) getting Android M?

Did Nexus 7 (2012) got Android 5.0?

I remember reading that Google would guarantee 2 years of updates for its products, so the Nexus 7 is out of that timeframe (it was released in late July 2013). But it is still being sold and no other product has replaced it, so I believe it would make sense to keep updating it.

Wreav

Banned
I should do a list like that. It would be kinda embarrassing tho.

For example, 2015 would have

Lumia 930
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Samsung S6 Edge
LG G4 (just shipped, not sure if I'll keep it)

Nokia Lumia 1520
Nokia Lumia 1020
HTC M8
Samsung Galaxy S5

Do it. Here's mine...62% Android, 20% iOS, 9% BB, and 9% WP over the last 8 years.

Moto Q9C

BB Bold

BB Tour
Moto Droid

Moto Droid X

Moto Droid X2
Galaxy Nexus
iPhone 4S

Galaxy S3
HTC 8X (OH GOD WHY)

Galaxy S4
Moto X
iPhone 5S

Galaxy S5
Note 4
Moto X 2014
HTC M8
Moto N6
iPhone 6

Galaxy S6
iPhone 6S

Jzero

No wireless charging in the Nexus 6P is very disappointing.

Hopefully they make it up by announcing WiPower support and an optional WiPower charger.

Those slides aren't the whole thing right? Not that much information there.

I'm still not sure if i want the black or silver version though.

vkyv12x.png

fK8WytV.png

5iy4Kgu.png

QDRVQJS.png

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...tal-body-gorilla-glass-4-and-3450mah-battery/

3450 mAh?

I'm intrigued. Not intrigued enough to give up my Note 4, but intrigued nonetheless.

I wonder if Google and Huawei realize that we have known that 80% of phone camera photos are taken in low light for about 5 years now, that's why other devices have been adding both digital and optical image stabilization for quite a long time now. Of course photographers have known since the dawn of photography in the early 1900's that low light presents significant challenges to taking pictures. Glad that Google finally figured it out, let's see if the new stock Android camera app is able to reach about 10% of the featureset of the Apple and Samsung camera apps this time around though.

Toki767

Hopefully they make it up by announcing WiPower support and an optional WiPower charger.

Those slides aren't the whole thing right? Not that much information there.

I'm still not sure if i want the black or silver version though.

WiPower is included in the Snapdragon 810, so they technically wouldn't need to actually announce support right? Or do they actually have to enable it? lol

I don't think anyone even sells WiPower chargers yet though.

wilflare

bleh the microSD on my card is crapping out on me.
I can't even use chkdsk to repair it.

I'm copying the files to PC
and copying it back (after I try to reformat the microSD)

would that mess up the timestamps, etc?

Honestly, if the 6P were note size rather than nexus 6 size I'd legit consider it over the 5x.

Such a shame. I needs deetailz and hands on vidzzz and pricingz. Though the plan was to always get the cheaper one knowing I plan to jump to something with an 820 and hopefully 3d touch next year.

Reckoner

Oh man, I were leaning toward that phone! :(

This is so hard.

All reviews say that 2gb isn't a problem. Battery life is great on the phone. Go for it. I used a Moto X 2014 and never felt the 2gb was a barrier of some kind. I don't think I ever got close to 2gb on my Nexus 6 with 3gb either. And I used the browser, listened to music, videos, etc. All open. No issues.

The Huawei Nexus 6P is starting to grow on me. Even that hammerhead bump on the back is somewhat different and exotic and the metal body looks sleek. Those bezels on top and bot of the screen, though, but I assume that's because of the extra battery size. But I still don't like the fingerprint sensor on the back. Basically I would have to click on the power button to turn the screen on and then reposition my finger to unlock the phone. Meh.

When is the normal sized Z5 coming out? Have they just said this Fall?

Wait. The Z5 Compact is already out in Spain?

The regular Z5 was supposed to come out at the same time, IIRC, with the 4k Premium releasing in November.

Someone found more slides from the presentation on imgur:

Nexus 6P at-a-glance

Screen: 5.7”, 518 PPI, WQHD AMOLED

Camera: 12.3MP Rear / 8MP Front (1.55 μM, F2.0 / 1.4 μM FF) - Final resolution of the images may be less than 12.3MP

Dimensions: 159.4 x 77.8 x 7.3

Weight: 178g

AMOLED and F2.0 confirmed.

I guess the last spec sheet I saw was exactly right. That's I was sure it was AMOLED. Good to know for future reference.

I guess we'll see if I was right about the Oct 26th date too. And the price (for canada).

Android thread exclusivez b4 the rest of the internetz.

I guess the last spec sheet I saw was exactly right. That's I was sure it was AMOLED. Good to know for future reference.

I guess we'll see if I was right about the Oct 26th date too. And the price (for canada).

Android thread exclusivez b4 the rest of the internetz.

The presenter's notes only say this about price: "Plus, when it comes to price point, the Nexus 6P will generally be less expensive than the iPhone 6+."

Which obviously doesn't help much.

Just got home to read these wonderful leak. The 6P looks pretty damn good right now. All I need to see now is the battery life and camera. Google PLEASE. The Moto X 2014 battery is trash.

Honestly, if the 6P were note size rather than nexus 6 size I'd legit consider it over the 5x.

Such a shame. I needs deetailz and hands on vidzzz and pricingz. Though the plan was to always get the cheaper one knowing I plan to jump to something with an 820 and hopefully 3d touch next year.
Wait, you're not getting the 6S Plus?

it looks like it matches up with the imx230. Hopefully Google Camera 3.0 doesnt suck

hmm maybe not the imx230?

Isn't that the sensor in the Moto X Style/Pure? Is it any good?

Rumors said the 5X has a 12.3 camera, too. One rumor said it would have a imx278 sensor, though. Who knows...

I plan on grabbing one of the new Blackberries when they launch in a few months. Do Android games have any sort of built in support for keyboards? Can you bind controls to keys and such?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
AMOLED? Nooooooo we got screwed

6P looks great. Come, follow my lead and love it. Change your minds like I said you would. That hump looks like nothing. The 5X Casper glory hole looks a lot worse.

Pachimari

What does Optical Image Stabilization mean? Does it stabilize your photo if shaken?

And I always forget what the f2.0 means, is it how fast the shutter speed is?

Jzero

6P looks great. Come, follow my lead and love it. Change your minds like I said you would. That hump looks like nothing. The 5X Casper glory hole looks a lot worse.

What's wrong with AMOLED? The over saturation? What would you prefer, IPS?

What doesn Optical Image Stabilization mean? Does it stabilize your photo if shaken?

how much light it takes in and shutter speed. The lower the aperture number the better for a smartphone.

I wasn't considering the 6P till now. How big is that sucker going to be?
as tall as the nexus 6 but not as wide. Thinner too. 159.4 x 77.8 x 7.3

gcubed

What doesn Optical Image Stabilization mean? Does it stabilize your photo if shaken?

Ois is a mechanical method to help reduce blur from shaky hands. It's mostly beneficial when you have longer exposure like you would in low light scenarios, but it helps everywhere to some degree.

F stop is aperture, it's a measure of the amount of light that the sensor gets in. A larger aperture (smaller fstop number) is better and allows in more light... It usually also causes a larger lens which is why we have humps on most new phones that strive for thin

Without knowing what battery life will be like and how the 810 holds up, the only thing I don't like about the 6P is bezel size. I don't care if the camera is shit, but I hope it's not for those that do need a good camera.

Truth. 5X will be trash in comparison.
What does Optical Image Stabilization mean? Does it stabilize your photo if shaken?

OIS deals with shakey hands and helps with low light photos. f2.0 is the aperture and the smaller the number, the larger the aperture is. This allows more light to enter the lens.

Edit: Crap, I was beaten badly.

Pachimari

how much light it takes in and shutter speed. The lower the aperture number the better for a smartphone.

as tall as the nexus 6 but not as wide. Thinner too. 159.4 x 77.8 x 7.3

Ois is a mechanical method to help reduce blur from shaky hands. It's mostly beneficial when you have longer exposure like you would in low light scenarios, but it helps everywhere to some degree.

F stop is aperture, it's a measure of the amount of light that the sensor let's in. A larger aperture (smaller fstop number) is better and allows in more light... It usually also causes a larger lens which is why we have humps on most new phones that strive for thin
And if it allows more light, you get more detail in your photos right? And better photos in the dark?

gcubed

And if it allows more light, you get more detail in your photos right? And better photos in the dark?

Yes, there are other things that can help but a larger aperture means you don't have to have a long exposure to make up for it, which greatly reduces blur (even with ois).

It's also one of the mobile rgbw sensors which helps with low light as well, but we will see how that works out

Edit... As whisker noted, you can have two phones with identical sensors that look differently due to post processing and/or methods used to adjust white balance, etc. RAW images have no post processing, jpeg does.

Edit2... And as opposed to unknown soldiers grossly mistaken post, it actual has double the ois dampening compensation vs the 6 plus. I'm not sure what the gs6 had.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

Yeah these newest pics have really swayed me to the 6P instead of the 5X. The camera hump on the 5 is objectively terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom