• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
SvnvRAO.jpg

Look at all the 5X people now following my 6P lead. Good decision. Say no to the Casper glory hole 5X. I'll get my 6P in white.

I am really liking the 6P. Pyro speculated that it might release in late October which sucks.

Pyro isn't speculating. He works for a major Canadian carrier, and he saw the date internally. Late October could just be for the carrier roll or for Canada specifically. The Play Store might get preorders on the 29th and a release mid-October.

gcubed

Is that for unlocked versions from the play store? I'd be okay with that tbh gives me more time to think.

He mentioned it from a Canadian carrier perspective. First, it's Canada, they are always lttp. Second the play store could be earlier, but I think the n6 launched simultaneously last year

I swear you fail at anything related to searching... Yes it has ois. Last year's nexus 6 had it as well.

Implying I ever do searching, I don't actually care enough to do that.
The Moto X Pure doesn't have OIS and I thought it was the same sensor in that.

IPS just looks a lot cleaner. I don't like the cartoon amoled

AMOLED has the most accurate colors of any display panel available when properly calibrated. Samsung has had photo and professional mode settings on their devices going back to the Galaxy Note II which let you switch from the default over-saturated normal mode to a photo mode which covers 100% of Adobe RGB, something your average LCD panel can't even fathom since most of those can't even cover most of sRGB.

Pyro isn't speculating. He works for a major Canadian carrier, and he saw the date internally. Late October could just be for the carrier roll or for Canada specifically. The Play Store might get preorders on the 29th and a release mid-October.
I know that, but I used speculated because he had that date but he didn't mention anything about the Play Store.
Is that for unlocked versions from the play store? I'd be okay with that tbh gives me more time to think.
Most likely carrier since Pyro works for a carrier. I doubt carriers have information on Play Store prices.

Saiyan-Rox

He mentioned it from a Canadian carrier perspective. First, it's Canada, they are always lttp. Second the play store could be earlier, but I think the n6 launched simultaneously last year

I think all nexus (from the 4 up) have released worldwide the same day

Gah damn Nexus hype. What time is this event at anyway for the UK peeps?

Ty4on

ImAMOLED has the most accurate colors of any display panel available when properly calibrated. Samsung has had photo and professional mode settings on their devices going back to the Galaxy Note II which let you switch from the default over-saturated normal mode to a photo mode which covers 100% of Adobe RGB, something your average LCD panel can't even fathom since most of those can't even cover most of sRGB.
In 2008 maybe...
Nexus 5:
Saturationschart.png

iPhone 6:
Saturations_iPhone6_575px.png

Most don't cover SRGB because the OEMs target an an oversaturated look and don't calibrate. Virtually all professional displays are IPS panels.

x2

But like Unknown Soldier said, Samsung AMOLEDs are actually good and not cheap, yellow tinted and bad calibrated like Moto's.

btw how much is the 6P rumored to cost?
If the 6P will cost 650 (at most this could change a tiny bit by launch but doubtful) off contract for the 32gb version at canadian carriers. Extrapolate from there for the rest of the world.

The answer is: not low.

Jzero

IPS just looks a lot cleaner. I don't like the cartoon amoled
I agree, switching from the Nexus 5 to Nexus 6 felt weird as hell because of the difference in the panel colors. My launch Nexus 6 order from last year says October 29th. I really hope I don't have to wait until November to receive the Nexus 6P.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Who was going 5X but is now getting a 6P possibly?

I agree, switching from the Nexus 5 to Nexus 6 felt weird as hell because of the difference in the panel colors. My launch Nexus 6 order from last year says October 29th. I really hope I don't have to wait until November to receive the Nexus 6P.
Why are you upgrading? I thought you don't really care too much about the upgrade?

VoxPop

Been playing around with the 6S. 3D Touch is definitely a great new addon. Love that little haptic feedback you get too. Can't wait till it's more widely supported by other apps.

Don't get the hate for AMOLED. Played around with a S6 Edge + today too and that display looked fantastic.

Jzero

Why are you upgrading? I thought you don't really care too much about the upgrade?
I want a fingerprint sensor and a less wide phone but still has a big panel. It's also thinner and not annoyingly curved.

I remain unphased.

Honestly if you plan to keep the phone longer than a year and don't care about size then you should probably get the 6P.

I don't mind the cheaper one because I plan to drop it in a year or less. Whenever the first legit amazing android phone of 2016 is out :p

Reckoner

I had to wait until January for my pre-ordered Nexus 6 CW 64gb to arrive at my house. I'm quite used to waiting now. Sold my phone in August, still waiting for the new ones to come out.

Quasar

This Nexus hype is dangerous. I'm getting very excited for the event. I hope it isn't disappointing.

Hopefully its more than just the phones. Would be nice if all the google stuff rumoured (chromecast2, chromecast audio, nexus player2, youtube red) all got announced alongside the phones.

Bboy AJ

You guys should get Mario Maker. It's fantastic. They should make it playable on the Nexus 6P.

Quasar

the 6P is way bigger than the 5X though.

It will be interesting to see the inevitable 5X leak tomorrow. Hopefully it has every detail/option.

Yeah. For the most part my issue with phone sizes is that I need my phone to comfortably fit in my front jeans pocket and still allow me to crouch. My 4.7 inch Nexus 4 does. I'm just not sure how much bigger phone I can get and still allow for that.

Husker86

To anyone's knowledge, can having certain apps disabled make OTA updates fail?

I manually changed my phone's date so I could check for updates again, and since the server is stupidly slow, I don't want to have to repeat the process yet again. However, I'd also like to not have to go through enabling/disabling all the junk apps again.

Bboy AJ

The event is at an inconvenient time.

Yeah. For the most part my issue with phone sizes is that I need my phone to comfortably fit in my front jeans pocket and still allow me to crouch. My 4.7 inch Nexus 4 does. I'm just not sure how much bigger phone I can get and still allow for that.

Stop wearing skinny jeans?

Maybe Oct 26 is the day google wants carriers to launch but meh the way I heard it it sounds like they want everyone to launch it on the same day as a major device launch. 6P only, again.

VoxPop

Maybe Oct 26 is the day google wants carriers to launch but meh the way I heard it it sounds like they want everyone to launch it on the same day as a major device launch. 6P only, again.

5X looks like a turd anyway. They should have stuck with the 6P as their one and only flagship device. Leave the low tier phones to other manufacturers. Has anyone had experience with other Huawei devices? How are they?

hitgirl

Damn did this thread flip fast. 6p was the ugly step child last week. Now 5x is suppose to be garbage. I'm waiting for 5x shots to say otherwise. Some good photography of phone shots can go a long way.

5X looks like a turd anyway. They should have stuck with the 6P as their one and only flagship device. Leave the low tier phones to other manufacturers. Has anyone had experience with other Huawei devices? How are they?
that would be a flop just like the nexus 6. It's too big for most people.

They have the right idea this time. 2 devices. 2 sizes. The only problem is potential spec difference. We don't know the extent of the 5x specs. Here's to hoping the 32gb has 3gb ram and if not it's really cheap.

Bboy AJ

Damn did this thread flip fast. 6p was the ugly step child last week. Now 5x is suppose to be garbage. I'm waiting for 5x shots to say otherwise. Some good photography of phone shots can go a long way.
I am a pioneer leading these degenerates from the bathroom stalls next to Casper.

Same with the Android Subreddit. It's quite amusing as we learn more about the 6P. The Android community is a finicky bunch.

My only issue with the 5X is that fact that it may be only 32GB max for storage, and that's a fucking no-no for me. I may actually get the 6P if it has 64GB.

I am a pioneer leading these degenerates from the bathroom stalls next to Casper.

I already have a Note 4, I'm in the penthouse watching the plebs fighting over the available stalls in the bathrooms below

Same with the Android Subreddit. It's quite amusing as we learn more about the 6P. The Android community is a finicky bunch.

The thing about Android is you have like 383 devices to choose from every year. That tends to result in a fickle community.

When you follow the iWay, you get exactly 2 choices (Big and Small) and hell until last year you only had 1 choice (Small). You either do as Apple says or you don't, there aren't any choices. It's no wonder the Followers of the iWay are so much more docile and quite frankly whipped, they are all Apple's bitches.

Bboy AJ

I wish Don't would release the Xperia Play again but good this time around. I just whooped The Quiet with my tranq pistol and I'd like to continue on a train ride #mgsvtpp. Or Mario Maker in a portable. Oh my.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom