• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CronoShot

I don't even know where the 2GM ram rumour came from. Was it the amazon leak which has already been proven to have some other inaccurate info (including those laughable dimensions)?

I mean I could see 2 diff price poitns/options but 2gb only....google is weird and dumb but that would be impressive.
A Geekbench listing showed 2GB.

What exactly is wrong with 2GB of RAM? Haven't videos of the Nexus 5 vs the S6 shown the former favorably?

Edit: Or was that the N6? Regardless, I don't think 2GB of RAM is as bad as some of you make it out to be. It's perfectly fine.

That Geekbench score leaked right after the Amazon India listing went up. I'm pretty sure it was faked.

Also, Android Police are still standing by claim of 3gb RAM. I mean, their news story about the two phones way back in May was 100% accurate, right down to the battery capacities for both phones. I doubt they got the RAM of all things.

In any case, it all comes down to pricing for me. The rumored $400 starting price for the 5X is looking worse and worse as the rumors of a $500 or less 6P continue to gain steam.

Husker86

Just curious, but how many phones do you switch between at any given time?

I always have a current generation Android device, and for the most part, same for the iPhone. Every once in a while I skip an iPhone release. I use my Android phone as my main device about 90% of the time. Every once in a while I'll switch to my iPhone just to keep up on iOS. So really, I just switch between two phones maximum at any given time.

I'm an Android developer, so I try to keep my old Android devices for at least a couple of years (still have a Nexus 5), but I don't use them outside of testing. I am slowly getting into iOS development so that's my rationale for having an iPhone. Though the main reason is I just love technology and want the latest of everything.

UrbanRats

If i get a Nexus 9 16GB, can i have access to my PC remotely? I mean even if someone else is using it.
I know i can use the PC remotely with some apps, but that would take control of the PC, i'm talking about having access to the HDD like a media center.

That way i could get away with putting less stuff on the tablet itself.

EmiPrime

I was very very lucky to get my Nexus 5 on release. If I had hesitated or not been at the computer when orders opened I might have been in for a long wait.

Had my Honor 7 for nearly two weeks and I don't think I'll be owning it a lot longer to be honest. Battery life is poor, the camera quality is all over the place and EMUI reminds me of Touchwiz circa 2010.

Shame, as I think specs wise its a decent phone, its just being let down by crappy software, and I don't have faith that Huawei will provide regular software updates to fix these issues.

So.... guess I'll be keeping an eye on the 5X announcement this week, or maybe the G4 might continue to plummet in price.

Pachimari

I keep seeing this misconception over and over. A skin will not make the manufacturer customizations go away, only the side that you see (and even then, just on the springboard, they stay elsewhere). For example, Touchwiz on the S6 edge is annoyingly aggressive with RAM management. If you're on chrome and switch over to another app, get ready to reload whatever tab you were on. Nova will not fix that. Nor will it fix the jank and lag.

I will say, though, that since the 5.1 update yesterday, I've had a smoother experience with the s6 edge. Battery seems more stable as well. Too early to be sure if these changes last, especially because Samsung phones are notorious for deteriorating in quality from the excellent out-of-box experience. In any case, my LG G4 will be here at the end of this week and I'll have to make a decision on which to keep.
This worries me a little. I would like my phone to be smooth, at least as smooth as my LG G3 which had 2GB of RAM. And it kinda sucks if it reloads the tabs when leaving Chrome.

Saiyan-Rox

If was fucking useless in the UK. Sold out until after Xmas and sclapers making 50quid plus a unit on ebay. Shambles.

I'm in the UK and can't remember that :S I got one as soon as it went live so I guess I might not have paid much attention.

3phemeral

S6 got another security update on Verizon today. Still vulnerable to Stagefright, it seems:

H7wK2s
CXFR3A
pAGB5v

Funny that the Moto X, also on Verizon, patched all related vulnerabilities with its 5.1 release.

Bloodember

If i get a Nexus 9 16GB, can i have access to my PC remotely? I mean even if someone else is using it.
I know i can use the PC remotely with some apps, but that would take control of the PC, i'm talking about having access to the HDD like a media center.

There are apps you can get that do that.

kami_sama

What is Stagefright and should I be worried if I buy the S6 now?

Stagefright is a component of Android that manages media playing (at least some of it). There was a vulnerability on it that could make the phone run arbitrary code when watching a video, for example from an mms or whatsapp. For now there isn't any real use of it, so don't worry. Also, gsm S6s have already received closed the vulnerability.

Pachimari

Stagefright is a component of Android that manages media playing (at least some of it). There was a vulnerability on it that could make the phone run arbitrary code when watching a video, for example from an mms or whatsapp. For now there isn't any real use of it, so don't worry. Also, gsm S6s have already received closed the vulnerability.
Thank you for explaining this.
I'll also check out the link tomorrow when I'm not that tired.

I just read the OT thread for the phone, and see complaints of it searching for WiFi and Bluetooth signals even though they're turned off. What other Samsung bloatware exist? I feel I should know about this before deciding to buy it or not.

Thank you for explaining this.
I'll also check out the link tomorrow when I'm not that tired.

I just read the OT thread for the phone, and see complaints of it searching for WiFi and Bluetooth signals even though they're turned off. What other Samsung bloatware exist? I feel I should know about this before deciding to buy it or not.

They lessened the bloat but there's still a few things. Only Samsung app I use is Samsung Pay.

Wreav

Banned

Plex, my breh.

yes.

I have a 16gb nexus 9 and am not close to having memory issues because I do precisely that.

AP put up their weekend poll about which phone people want to get. The 5x or 6P. After over 2500 votes the 5X is winning by about 100. Interesting considering the 6P hype is at max levels.

Not that surprising considering it will be less expensive and be sized for human beings.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I really wonder, when they will start expanding Samsung Pay to Europe. Months have passed now, and I can see them skipping the S6 and Edge support.

If I have movies locally on my hard drive inside my PC, I can't see them in the Plex app right? Only if they are in my NAS?

You'll need to run the plex server on your PC, but yes - a NAS is a convenient way to store movies and play when your PC isn't on, but you can store them anywhere you like as long as the server software can see it.

AP put up their weekend poll about which phone people want to get. The 5x or 6P. After over 2500 votes the 5X is winning by about 100. Interesting considering the 6P hype is at max levels.

Not that surprising considering it will be less expensive and be sized for human beings.
What you trying to say Pyro?! That I'm not human for preferring big-ass phones? I see how it is.

Pachimari

You'll need to run the plex server on your PC, but yes - a NAS is a convenient way to store movies and play when your PC isn't on, but you can store them anywhere you like as long as the server software can see it.
I can see my library but I can't play any of my files. It just says the file associated with this item is not accessible by the server.

Not to detail much, but can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?
My movies are all .mkv format.

tzare

I can see my library but I can't play any of my files. It just says the file associated with this item is not accessible by the server.

Not to detail much, but can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?
My movies are all .mkv format.

to play movies with plex on your phone need to pay for the app, or grab it for free when amazon does those free app days.

or use an app tha detects mediaservers, like kodi, and search for plexmediaserver

i think google is making 6P for carriers, subsidiased, and 5X like previous nexus, more afordable and unlocked

Pretty much all US carriers are abandoning that model. Subsidies and contracts are things of the past.

The 6P is going to start at $500 (+/- $50). Bank on it.

Pachimari

to play movies with plex on your phone need to pay for the app, or grab it for free when amazon does those free app days.

or use an app tha detects mediaservers, like kodi, and search for plexmediaserver
I'm using the official Plex app already. Do I need their subscription?

tzare

I'm using the official Plex app already. Do I need their subscription?

i do not know if subscription is the only way or you can just pay for the app.Since they changed it sometime ago, when the app wasn't free at all. Now is free but is kinda limited.
I have plex server on my Minix z64 (low pow pc) , i bought the windows app since i had some money to spend from xbox live, so i can play files from my pc using the plex app.

On my smartphones, i got the app for free from amazon, they put it quite often on their free apps, i have it on the devices i use for my daughters, a tablet and a pair of smartphones, since it is technically a 'bought' app, it can play what is on my server on those devices (two smartphones and one tablet).
On my wife's smartphone and mine i have the app from Playstore which won't let me play on media on them but allows me to send to the chromecast on my tv.
I also play my media from my ps3 on another tv but instead of using the plex app (paid app) i just browse through content as a media server , and works just fine (it is not as nice as navigating with the app, but gets the job done)

Pretty much all US carriers are abandoning that model. Subsidies and contracts are things of the past.

The 6P is going to start at $500 (+/- $50). Bank on it.
i live in spain, nexus 6 was the first nexus to hit carriers, so my guess is 6P will have the same treatment, and 5x won't be supported by them. But i guess we will know in a few days.

Pachimari

i do not know if subscription is the only way or just pay for the app.
I have plex server on my Minix z64 (low pow pc) , i bought the windows app since i had some money to spend from xbox live, so i can play files from my pc using the plex app.

On my smartphones, i got the app for free from amazon, they put it quite often on their free apps, i have it on the devices i use for my daughters, a tablet and a pair of smartphones, since it is technically a 'bought' app, it can play what is on my server on those devices (two smartphones and one tablet).
On my wife's smartphone and mine i have the app from Playstore which won't let me play on media on them but allows me to send to the chromecast on my tv.
I also play my media from my ps3 on another tv but instead of using the plex app (paid app) i just browse through content as a media server , and works just fine (it is not as nice as navigating with the app, but gets the job done)

i live in spain, nexus 6 was the first nexus to hit carriers, so my guess is 6P will have the same treatment, and 5x won't be supported by them. But i guess we will know in a few days.
It is just, that I am going on vacation next month, and I would like to stream my movies from home to another country. I already have the official Plex app, and it did play one of my movies just fine. But it seems like, it can't play .mkv files directly on a phone?

i

Oh, definitely. I don't think any carriers in the US or elsewhere will sell the 5X either. It's going to be Play store exclusive.

It is just, that I am going on vacation next month, and I would like to stream my movies from home to another country. I already have the official Plex app, and it did play one of my movies just fine. But it seems like, it can't play .mkv files directly on a phone?

If you are running Plex Media Server on a machine with a relatively competent processor in it then it should be able to transcode your .mkv files on the fly to whatever format is compatible with the device you are trying to stream to. So if your device can't play .mkv but can play .mp4 then Plex should automatically transcode your .mkv to .mp4 on the fly and your movies should play just fine.

tzare

You need the subscription model for that AFAIK.

Pachimari

If you are running Plex Media Server on a machine with a relatively competent processor in it then it should be able to transcode your .mkv files on the fly to whatever format is compatible with the device you are trying to stream to. So if your device can't play .mkv but can play .mp4 then Plex should automatically transcode your .mkv to .mp4 on the fly and your movies should play just fine.
Hmm, which makes me think, maybe I have turned off transcoding? My computer is more than competent for those kind of tasks.

You need the subscription model for that AFAIK.
Oh I see. Good thing I'm planning on subscribing sometime next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom