• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Android Wear itself is dead. People care less than Android tablets. Let that sink in.

Android wear is fine. It is a nice method to surface notifications - especially if you have a large phone you don't want to keep handling just for a notification.

Just that the new moto 360 isn't really brining anything new to the table so I doubt many are paying full price for it, and any existing owners have no really incentive to upgrade.

kami_sama

Android wear is fine. It is a nice method to surface notifications - especially if you have a large phone you don't want to keep handling just for a notification.

Just that the new moto 360 isn't really brining anything new to the table so I doubt many are paying full price for it, and any existing owners have no really incentive to upgrade.

For Android wear to gain popularity, there needs to be some watch that last at least twice the time that it does now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For Android wear to gain popularity, there needs to be some watch that last at least twice the time that it does now.

LG g watch R already lasts a couple of days, or over one full day with the display always on. That is a lot more than the Apple Watch. Sure, it would be great to have a week long battery but that just doesn't seem reasonable given the small size and the tiny battery.

DagsJT

The N6P looks really interesting but its really too big for me. Now I've got a Moto X 2015 (not the new Style or Play) and its really on the limit for me: I want to be able to use the phone with one hand and be able to keep it in my pocket without many problems.
The N5 doesn't look a worth upgrade from my Moto X, in particular by the point of view of the materials, so I got really interested about the Nextbit Robin

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nextbit/robin-the-smarter-smartphone

4155396.png

Specs:

Processor: Snapdragon 808
Memory: 3GB RAM / 32 GB onboard / 100 GB online
Screen: 5.2” IPS LCD 1080p, Gorilla Glass 4
Rear Camera: 13MP with phase detection autofocus, dual tone flash
Front camera: 5MP
Battery: 2680 mAh
Dual front facing stereo speakers
Fingerprint sensor
NFC
Quick charging
Bluetooth 4.0 LE
WiFi A/B/G/N/AC
Dimensions: 149mm x 72mm x 7mm
Weight: Approx. 150g
GPS enabled
GSM Version (for AT&T and TMobile networks in the US; best choice for all international backers including Canada)

GSM 850/900/1800/1900
HSPA 850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100
LTE Bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/20/28
CDMA Version (for Sprint and Verizon networks in the US)

CDMA 800/1900
GSM 850/900/1800/1900
HSPA 1700/1800/1900/2100
LTE Bands 1/2/3/4/7/13/20/25/26/41

A part the specs that looks good and quite updated the things that catch my attentions are the design, the aluminum body, the attention they are giving to the camera, the fingerprint reader on the side,the stereo front speaker, the fact that they guarantee updates in decent time (they're already working on Android M) and last but not least the 100Gb on cloud and how the phone use it.

Comes already with unlocked bootloader and you're free to flash any rom you want, in case of troubles you won't lose your warranty.

Price? 349$ + VAT & Shipping.

Not bad at all.

I backed it but pulled out. Had some doubts about support really,what with it being a new company etc. And it's not cheap kit to mess around with support.

How does the Robin compare with the rumoured 5X specs?

Pachimari

I just wonder if we can make it so that the Nextbit Robin doesn't automatically delete stuff locally stored on the phone? Because normally it will upload the photo to the cloud, delete the picture on the phone but leave two thumbnails.

kami_sama

LG g watch R already lasts a couple of days, or over one full day with the display always on. That is a lot more than the Apple Watch. Sure, it would be great to have a week long battery but that just doesn't seem reasonable given the small size and the tiny battery.
Latest watches have aprox. 2 days of charge, I know, but I was talking about 4-5 days, something like the pebble time.

I backed it but pulled out. Had some doubts about support really,what with it being a new company etc. And it's not cheap kit to mess around with support.

Almost the same. Internals are the same, a little shorter, but that's it.

Android wear just needs to be cheaper. That's all.

Stop trying to make expensive ass luxury watches that are going to be outdated in six months. Nobody is passing this down from generation to generation like the regular watch market.

There needs to be more of a balance there. Going to need a deal on that new moto 360 but I have been messing around with moto maker and want to customize one.

As soon as I buy one Google will announce NFC support for android pay coming to android wear and i'll be assed out.

Pachimari

Now the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge just came into the picture for me as well. I think it's gonna end up being between that and LG G4. But I have a hard time finding out if there's a major difference in their batteries. I know G4 have a 3000mah, and Edge have a 2600mah but it is said that G4's battery isn't much better? And that Edge has quick charging at 80 minutes, while it takes G4 120 minutes.

And another factor is the camera, where they seem to be neck and neck. Though the G4 being slightly better in low light, and gives you more manual control, like shutter speed and RAW images.

Then G4 has a removable battery and a microSD port, the Edge has fingerprint reader and a heart rate reader.

I don't think the custom UI's will play any part in my choice, as I use Nova Launcher no matter.

And if I go down to really small details, then I like the back leather cover of the G4, but I like the Edge's front more with its edges on the screen.

EmiPrime

Android wear just needs to be cheaper. That's all.

Stop trying to make expensive ass luxury watches that are going to be outdated in six months. Nobody is passing this down from generation to generation like the regular watch market.

There needs to be more of a balance there. Going to need a deal on that new moto 360 but I have been messing around with moto maker and want to customize one.

As soon as I buy one Google will announce NFC support for android pay coming to android wear and i'll be assed out.

There are plenty of inexpensive Android wear watches. The Sony SW3 is one of them and it has NFC.

Mindwipe

I wish Don't would release the Xperia Play again but good this time around. I just whooped The Quiet with my tranq pistol and I'd like to continue on a train ride #mgsvtpp. Or Mario Maker in a portable. Oh my.

I'm slightly baffled that Sony dont release a good small clip-on pad for the Z5/C. They could do an Xperia Play type service.

Knight77

After me and my friends had to deal with Samsung, Motorola and/or Google here in Italy, let me tell you that Nextbix cannot be worse. I'm not afraid of that...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't think the custom UI's will play any part in my choice, as I use Nova Launcher no matter.

I keep seeing this misconception over and over. A skin will not make the manufacturer customizations go away, only the side that you see (and even then, just on the springboard, they stay elsewhere). For example, Touchwiz on the S6 edge is annoyingly aggressive with RAM management. If you're on chrome and switch over to another app, get ready to reload whatever tab you were on. Nova will not fix that. Nor will it fix the jank and lag.

I will say, though, that since the 5.1 update yesterday, I've had a smoother experience with the s6 edge. Battery seems more stable as well. Too early to be sure if these changes last, especially because Samsung phones are notorious for deteriorating in quality from the excellent out-of-box experience. In any case, my LG G4 will be here at the end of this week and I'll have to make a decision on which to keep.

Reckoner

I keep seeing this misconception over and over. A skin will not make the manufacturer customizations go away, only the side that you see (and even then, just on the springboard, they stay elsewhere). For example, Touchwiz on the S6 edge is annoyingly aggressive with RAM management. If you're on chrome and switch over to another app, get ready to reload whatever tab you were on. Nova will not fix that. Nor will it fix the jank and lag.

I will say, though, that since the 5.1 update yesterday, I've had a smoother experience with the s6 edge. Battery seems more stable as well. Too early to be sure if these changes last, especially because Samsung phones are notorious for deteriorating in quality from the excellent out-of-box experience. In any case, my LG G4 will be here at the end of this week and I'll have to make a decision on which to keep.

Every time I read about that ram management bullshit on the Samsung phones I keep thinking that Sammy probably did that because the iPhone 6 reloaded all the time as it only has 1gb and they thought WELL MAYBE PEOPLE LIKE THIS SHIT, LET'S MAKE A SIMILAR FEATURE

Pachimari

I have just been to another store trying out all of the phones. I think the Sony Xperia Z5c is out of the question now. It didn't feel that nice but it'll surely be durable.

Right now I am leaning most toward Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 32gb, then iPhone 6 64gb and then LG G4 32gb.

Suh a hard choice.

no clicks for sunday leaks, saving that shit for 8am no doubt.
it's risky business waiting until monday because it's like a game of chicken, someone else might leak something and take your clicks. The guy who leaked this presentation keeps hinting that 5X leak will be today.

But yeah I want all the 5X deets naoo.

I have just been to another store trying out all of the phones. I think the Sony Xperia Z5c is out of the question now. It didn't feel that nice but it'll surely be durable.

Right now I am leaning most toward Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 32gb, then iPhone 6 64gb and then LG G4 32gb.

Suh a hard choice.

Why not wait for the Nexus reveal...it's in 2 days?

Reckoner

Suh a hard choice.

Why didn't you like the Z5c?

So for all those getting a nexus phone this year. How long do you plan on keeping it?

Is this your phone for the next 2 years? I've already mentioned that I plan on keeping it for exactly 1 year or less. Using my upgrade next year on whatever the best phone is. That's why 32GB is way more than enough and honestly even 2gb is enough but it better be priced right if that's the max memory option.

Pachimari

Why not wait for the Nexus reveal...it's in 2 days?
You never know when that is gonna release in Europe. And I'm not sure the camera will be up to par with the competition looking at the Nexus lines history.

Why didn't you like the Z5c?
Hmm, it just felt too "cheap" for a $750 phone. I don't mind plastic, that's what I had on my LG G3 anyway, but I think I would like something more premium-feeling for that price.

You never know when that is gonna release in Europe. And I'm not sure the camera will be up to par with the competition looking at the Nexus lines history.

Hmm, it just felt too "cheap" for a $750 phone. I don't mind plastic, that's what I had on my LG G3 anyway, but I think I would like something more premium-feeling for that price.
if those are your choices then get an S6 or an iphone.

kami_sama

So for all those getting a nexus phone this year. How long do you plan on keeping it?

Is this your phone for the next 2 years? I've already mentioned that I plan on keeping it for exactly 1 year or less. Using my upgrade next year on whatever the best phone is. That's why 32GB is way more than enough and honestly even 2gb is enough but it better be priced right if that's the max memory option.

I want it to last at least two years. I can't know the phones that will be released next year, if I'll buy one or not, but at least know that my current phone will last me enough for two generations.

Also, 32GB is good for me, but I think 2GB is not enough.

I want it to last at least two years. I can't know the phones that will be released next year, if I'll buy one or not, but at least know that my current phone will last me enough for two generations.

Also, 32GB is good for me, but I think 2GB is not enough.
yeah 2gb RAM seems pushing it to last into 2017.

I say 1 year or less because I'll drop it for the great great android phone and it may just be nexus 2016. But if all fail then honestly I'll just get an iphone 7 lol. Just like I got the 6 when all the android phones disappointed me last year.

Klotera

Curious how it's going to feel unlocking with fingerprint on the back. The home button sensor on the GS6 is fairly convenient and natural. On the back seems like I'd have to adjust my hand position between unlocking and using.

Still, somewhat interested in the 6P, especially seeing the newer images. I quite like my S6 edge, but I want those timely updates. I'm on Verizon, though, and with their track record, it won't be available until next year.

So are the Nexus 5X and 6P the last Android phones of the year? Pretty sure outside of the Droid line I think that's it.
there's more but it's all mid range stuff. HTC A9, new samsung galaxy mega prime or whatver the fuck it's called. But yeah that's it.

If the rumours are true and samsung releases their new phones in feb it won't be long till we start getting rumours of those.

Curious how it's going to feel unlocking with fingerprint on the back. The home button sensor on the GS6 is fairly convenient and natural. On the back seems like I'd have to adjust my hand position between unlocking and using.

Still, somewhat interested in the 6P, especially seeing the newer images. I quite like my S6 edge, but I want those timely updates. I'm on Verizon, though, and with their track record, it won't be available until next year.
you shouldn't have to adjust your hand, you'd be using your index finger to unlock on the back rather than your thumb on the front.

HawkeyeIC

More 6P deets from AP:

The original presentation slides have been uploaded to Google Docs, which include a few more details in the speaker notes. Specifically, they augment the existing specifications with more information on the RAM, camera, screen, and dimensions:

The screen will use an AMOLED panel (the same display type as the Nexus 6 and most high-end Samsung designs), not the more typical IPS-LCD
The phone uses 3GB of RAM.
The rear camera is 12.3 megapixels with an F-stop rating of 2.0. If that seems a bit low for a flagship, it's because the sensor design uses 1.55 μM pixels, which are designed to capture more light than a conventional sensor, much like HTC's former phone designs with "ultrapixel" cameras. The resolution of final images may be less than 12.3 megapixels. The 5 megapixel front-facing camera uses 1.4 μM pixels (the standard design).
The Nexus 6P's official dimensions are 159.4 x 77.8 x 7.3mm. That's about the same width as the Nexus 6, slightly shorter, and almost 3mm thinner.

Camera worries me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom