• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Saiyan-Rox

Just got my bonus money for this year (unexpected) was supposed to get it in september....

Put most away in case of sudden Nexus drop just don't let the GF find out as she'll kill me for thinking about buying a new phone already.

Jeffrey

xiaomi would have zero incentive for entering US though. they pretty much sell their phones at cost and make their money from people spending cash on their app store.

Xperia... I think they are purposely trying to drown their US division?

Noema

But the fact the screen can be scratched so easily and even the finger print scanner can be completely taken out of commission doesn't help it. I pretty much never worry about sitting on a phone, but I do have more worries about scratches and bodily damage overall.

Well that's the reality of gorilla glass 5. They are going for shatter resistance over scratch resistance. I guess they figure most people use screen protectors anyway.

The fingerprint scanner deal is more worrying. It's funny how certain fingerprint scanners still work after being heavily scratched and some don't work at all.

Jeffrey

id take scratch resistance over shatter. Cases can help out somewhat, you'd definitely need a glass screen protector for the screen though... and its hard to find any decent ones these days with everything going all curve glass.

CronoShot

Gorilla Glass 5 scratches significantly easier than Gorilla Glass 4? Fuck that.

I never drop my phone, but scratches are a constant threat regardless of how careful you might be. Besides, the curve on the Note 7 means that any screen protector would be awkward as hell.

clav

Guess you can't have both.

Shatter resistant or scratch resistant?

Pick one.

slap a screen protector on this baby.

Distorts viewing angles especially the glass type. It'll make your screen look like poo.

Gorilla Glass 5 scratches significantly easier than Gorilla Glass 4? Fuck that.

I never drop my phone, but scratches are a constant threat regardless of how careful you might be. Besides, the curve on the Note 7 means that any screen protector would be awkward as hell.

Considering I still have a Gorilla Glass 2 phone, maybe it's not as big as a deal as it is.

I guess we can appreciate the older Gorilla Glass 3/4 designs in that respect.

That curve is a nightmare for accessory manufacturers as it already is for Galaxy Edge.

Guys, I need you help to answer me a question,

I sold a sim unlocked Cricket Galaxy S6 on ebay. I onky used it a few hours before factory reset it. I don't remember if I ever set the printprint sensor.

Now the buyer say they can't set the finger print sensor and want "my cricket login". Tell me this guy is bullshitting. Do you also reset all fingerprint data when you factory reset a S6? Is the fingerprint locking thing only a iTunes id thing?

For the record, it was a brand new phone I brought from Cricket directly and never put a sim in.

I need to call that guy bullshit over ebay before I give him the option to return it.

Asgaro

The Nexus 6 got a lot of flack some of it well deserved but I liked that phone.

Also Xperia Nexus please.

A Sony Nexus... a Sexus. It would sell on the name alone already.

Tumblr_lxycobDCIx1r13t1p.gif

It'd be 160mm tall with a 5.2" screen and a 2200mAh battery. It would overheat after 3 minutes of shooting video and it'd have a non functional Fingerprint scanner at the top.

Oh, and $850.

The Xperia series is well known for their average battery life.
I also would prefer 4000+ mAh but you make it sound like Xperia's have laughable battery.
(Though I must admit I haven't followed the Z5 and X series so maybe it all went downhill lately.)

7 hours SOT on my Z3C. Though this was mostly under circumstances that I'm mostly at home, so WiFi.
Around 5 hours SOT if also outdoors.

Aside from that... yeah... Sony has been making reeeaaaally weird decisions.
For example NFC being on the front on their latest devices.

Soodanim

A Sony Nexus... a Sexus. It would sell on the name alone already.

The Xperia series is well known for their average battery life.
I also would prefer 4000+ mAh but you make it sound like Xperia's have laughable battery.
(Though I must admit I haven't followed the Z5 and X series so maybe it all went downhill lately.)

7 hours SOT on my Z3C. Though this was mostly under circumstances that I'm mostly at home, so WiFi.
Around 5 hours SOT if also outdoors.

Aside from that... yeah... Sony has been making reeeaaaally weird decisions.
For example NFC being on the front on their latest devices.
I don't know what's more shocking to me, you managing to get 7 hours screen on time from your Z3C or Sony putting NFC on the front, ugh.

I swear, if phones weren't so deeply integrated into modern life I'd happily ditch them for how flawed or simply shit the designs are on these expensive devices we carry around with us.

Hasney

It's such a great looking phone. If I had money to throw around, I'd get one just because. The could stuff doesn't appeal to me at all, though. OS updates are another question mark.

Yeah, there's an official CM13 for it so I would probably just do that with it. Their cloud stuff is really the only knock against it.

Yeah, there's an official CM13 for it so I would probably just do that with it. Their cloud stuff is really the only knock against it.

I seem to be a bit conservative with this, but I trust something like CM even less than a random kickstarted OEM. I assume you can simply not use their cloud app stuff, which would be enough. I do wonder if and when we'll get a new phone from Nextbit, though. Would love to see that.

Everything was curved: http://www.gsmarena.com/alleged_meizu_pro_7_renders_leak_online-news-20018.php

No one wants to copy Apple right now. That should be concerning for Apple.

Props to Meizu for not making the dual camera setup look like hot flaming garbage. Take a note, Apple and LG.

Hasney

I seem to be a bit conservative with this, but I trust something like CM even less than a random kickstarted OEM. I assume you can simply not use their cloud app stuff, which would be enough. I do wonder if and when we'll get a new phone from Nextbit, though. Would love to see that.

Oh no, it's not about any trust or anything. Their skin and the way the cloud stuff integrates into the OS is just something I would want to remove.

Jeffrey

not sure if there will even be a next nextbit, if i need a ~$200 phone i'd probably just get a nexus 5x.

meizu is another company that hasn't touched america yet either. hmmm. don't think they are interested though.

Blitzhex

So you'd rather have a phone with a screen that's easier to crack?

Yeah, rather than a phone with the same hardness as plastic. That thing is going to get scratched up in your pocket. On xda note7 forum there are pics of demo units that were completely scratched up.

ACE 1991

No chance in hell any of the upcoming Nexus models will be $300, right? Decided to wait on buying a 5X until those are announced. Fuck CDMA, by the way.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No chance in hell any of the upcoming Nexus models will be $300, right? Decided to wait on buying a 5X until those are announced. Fuck CDMA, by the way.

They had that GSM 5X for only $199, but it was only 16 gigs on eBay daily deals.

I wouldn't expect the new Nexus to be cheaper than $350 for the smaller version.

ACE 1991

They had that GSM 5X for only $199, but it was only 16 gigs on eBay daily deals.

I wouldn't expect the new Nexus to be cheaper than $350 for the smaller version.

I could probably swing $350 as long as the phone reviews well... But if it's going to be like $400+ (for the smaller form factor one) I'll probably just hunt down a 5X. Such few options on Verizon for unlocked Androids, it really sucks.

Jeffrey

with the smaller having a 820/821, i can't see it starting cheaper than the chinese stuff.

I'm guessing $400 for the cheapest smallest nexus 2016?

this_guy

Last year's 5x started at $379 (but it came down quickly). That's not as good a deal this year with the Axon/OnePlus/Honor available. And the 5x last year didn't have the top of the line processor.

reKon

Banned
Yeah, rather than a phone with the same hardness as plastic. That thing is going to get scratched up in your pocket. On xda note7 forum there are pics of demo units that were completely scratched up.

But you can put a screen protector on it...

Obviously though, if the shatter resistance actually isn't that great, then this is just bad.

Jeffrey

Obviously though, if the shatter resistance actually isn't that great, then this is just bad.

im googling around and can't seem to find a 'definitive' tempered glass screen protector for the s7edge.

and the plastic shit is the absolute worst in terms of distortion and they feel so nasty.

It's lame that gorilla glass named this '5'. I really hope not all future phones blindly jump to this.

Vanillalite

I could probably swing $350 as long as the phone reviews well... But if it's going to be like $400+ (for the smaller form factor one) I'll probably just hunt down a 5X. Such few options on Verizon for unlocked Androids, it really sucks.

Keep in mind the entry level Nexus has always been 16 gigs with no SD slot.

As this guy said the last Nexus launched at sub $400, but idk if 16 gig is really pheasible for the average GAFer.

Blitzhex

This is what we have right now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQXq0ewUJtU

In general screen protectors have way more downsides than the only upside they have.
I live in a desert, there's constantly sand in the air that can accumulate and scratch your screen if wiped against. Sand can scratch gg4, but I still haven't needed a screen protector. I've only got a single 1mm micro scratch near the bezel area in 6 months usage.
Personally I find gg5 a complete downgrade.

Vanillalite

with the smaller having a 820/821, i can't see it starting cheaper than the chinese stuff.

I'm guessing $400 for the cheapest smallest nexus 2016?

Keep in mind the Axon 7 ships with 64 gigs. I could see the Nexus being slightly cheaper, but you won't be getting that storage for the cheaper price.

I really hope that not all phones go to Gorilla Glass 5. I fucking hate screen protectors. I didn't even use one for my GS4. And I still don't use one for my Nexus 6P.

LeleSocho

Banned
Gorilla Glass 5 scratches at level 3? What a goddamn joke.

Hope phones will stay on GG4 up until they couldn't figure out something better...

Top Bottom