• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Asgaro

Are there any portable battery packs that have proper spec usb-c ports that will rapid charge my 5X?

I've been keeping my eye on this one: [Qualcomm Certified Quick Charge 3.0] RAVPower 20100mAh Portable Charger with USB-C / Type-C Port & QC 3.0 Input & Output for Phones, Tablets and More
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019IFIJW8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And before anyone asks: the USB-C and Qualcomm Quickcharge ports are completely separate (so no spec violation). You get the best of both worlds in one powerbank.

Technical reviews I got bookmarked. Do check these out before considering buying.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/4soo7c/review_tronsmart_presto_battery_pack_vs_ravpower/
https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/42BBBpWJtV4
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/co...check_your_nexus_chargers_followup_on/d66lmmy

Toki767

Are you talking about Verizon Wireless's website, or a different Verizon?

I checked Verizon Wireless and the S7 and S7 Edge both have 4.5/5 rating with about 5000 across both of them.

The HTC 10 has the same 4.5/5 score with about 150 reviews.
You must be new here.

Soodanim

Saw the leaked Sailfish pictures last night. I'll wait until release and judge the end product, but are there any 5" 1080p/good battery life/32gb + sd or 64gb/decent and fast camera phones out or coming out? Wireless charging would be nice, too. I don't know why Nexus is dropping that now. As close to stock/Google Android as possible, the Sony replacements are awful and I'm still not sure if I could live with a Samsung.

Hydrargyrus

Saw the leaked Sailfish pictures last night. I'll wait until release and judge the end product, but are there any 5" 1080p/good battery life/32gb + sd or 64gb/decent and fast camera phones out or coming out? Wireless charging would be nice, too. I don't know why Nexus is dropping that now. As close to stock/Google Android as possible, the Sony replacements are awful and I'm still not sure if I could live with a Samsung.

Yup, same here.
I don't want anything bigger than 5" and even if the bezels don't seem very attractive, if the phone is good enough, I can live with that.

There's no nothing compared with stock android and the specs seem pretty good

Saiyan-Rox

I always thought the 5X had 3GB ram and i'm not sure why....guess I just assumed lol

Held one yesterday and I didn't mind the feel or the size of it it was pretty nice tbh just didn't like the blue.

Yo... So my Alcatel Idol 3 is out of commission.

Does random reboots and gives a blue screen if you touch near the sim port. Weird shit.

So I'm reduced to baby prepaid for now.... Anybody have good suggestions on fast budget phones? Prefer 150$ but willing to go to 200

Edit: Something just enough to hold out for a midtier or flagship in 6 months

Jeffrey

Yo... So my Alcatel Idol 3 is out of commission.

Does random reboots and gives a blue screen if you touch near the sim port. Weird shit.

So I'm reduced to baby prepaid for now.... Anybody have good suggestions on fast budget phones? Prefer 150$ but willing to go to 200

Edit: Something just enough to hold out for a midtier or flagship in 6 months

not sure about 'fast' but this is the most budget phone out there, should last you a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H2E0J5M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Otherwise wait until new Nexus is out, and pick up a nexus 5x for $200 or less (its currently on sale often around $250ish)

Are you talking about Verizon Wireless's website, or a different Verizon?

I checked Verizon Wireless and the S7 and S7 Edge both have 4.5/5 rating with about 5000 across both of them.

The HTC 10 has the same 4.5/5 score with about 150 reviews.

Read the actual reviews.

Careful. That's like arguing no one wants to use Android since people just want to use apps + camera.

Remember about the Tizen end game.

No kidding. Tizen is fucking garbage. The last thing we need is more users on that operating system than what are already coming. Its bad enough all the tvs, fridges, toasters etc will be on it. Samsung hates Android.

That's not really comparable. Scores are the same, but it's 5000 reviews so there will be more complaints. Did HTC even sell 5000 HTC 10's?

How is it not comparable? I dont care what the average star rating shows on verizons site nor do I believe them. For all we know Samsung is paying for that "overall" star rating too. Read what actually matters and thats what people are saying.

Almost half of the Galaxy S7 reviews say their battery drains like crazy and how they hate the phone.

All the HTC 10 reviews are saying the battery life is great and they love the phone.

Same processor and same battery size.

this_guy

How is it not comparable? I dont care what the average star rating shows on verizons site nor do I believe them. For all we know Samsung is paying for that "overall" star rating too. Read what actually matters and thats what people are saying.

Almost half of the Galaxy S7 reviews say their battery drains like crazy and how they hate the phone.

All the HTC 10 reviews are saying the battery life is great and they love the phone.

Same processor and same battery size.

But average rating are the same - that's what ultimately matters. And now you make an accusation that Samsung is paying for reviews?

But average rating are the same - that's what ultimately matters. And now you make an accusation that Samsung is paying for reviews?

Would it surprise you if they were? Regardless, what if samsung ruined the phone with a recent software update and only the most recent reviews reflected that. Would you still just listen to the overall star rating?

I dont know why you would ignore real impressions over a stupid verizon widget that we have no idea of its accuracy

this_guy

Would it surprise you if they were? Regardless, what if samsung ruined the phone with a recent software update and only the most recent reviews reflected that. Would you still just listen to the overall star rating?

I dont know why you would ignore real impressions over a stupid verizon widget that we have no idea of its accuracy

Every tech reviewer days the Galaxy S7 series are the best phones this year. You throw out a bunch of what ifs as the reason not to like the S7. Who should I believe?

Every tech reviewer days the Galaxy S7 series are the best phones this year. You throw out a bunch of what ifs as the reason not to like the S7. Who should I believe?

Tech reviews used the phone for like a week. These are real owners that have had the phone for long periods of time. How on earth is that a what if?

If you dont care about real feedback of owners of devices there is no point in debating with you.

this_guy

Tech reviews used the phone for like a week. These are real owners that have had the phone for long periods of time. How on earth is that a what if?

If you dont care about real feedback of owners of devices there is no point in debating with you.

There are reviewers that go back and review the phone months later. You've been biased against Samsung for years now so there's no point debating with you. And please don't throw out any more what ifs.

Jeffrey

Similar to Oneplus at launch, ZTE doesn't have any 'warranty phones' in stock... so be careful you don't break your A7 until mid september lol.

The usual caveats with buying cheap chinese stuff sadly.

There are reviewers that go back and review the phone months later. You've been biased against Samsung for years now so there's no point debating with you. And please don't throw out any more what ifs.

Please dont debate for the point of debating. Of course I am biased. We are in an android thread and samsung hates android.

Hitta93

Banned
Would your opinion change if you applied all the what ifs that Osiris brings up?

Of course not.

Implying that regular people aren't doing the same thing as MKBHD or TechnoBuffalo is naive, especially considering you can review the item well before you actually use it on these sites.

clav

No kidding. Tizen is fucking garbage. The last thing we need is more users on that operating system than what are already coming. Its bad enough all the tvs, fridges, toasters etc will be on it. Samsung hates Android.

I wonder how many users here use the Samsung app store.

How many casuals who don't know the difference between that and Play Store?

Then again, there is a point these days how YouTube reviews / "tech" blogs are an extension of marketing (reading spec sheet, downplay negatives). Why pay a marketer a salary (spend time hiring, pay benefits) when you can pay someone else cheaper to praise (and essentially advertise) a product? Add a NDA of saying certain buzz words + film tips on what to highlight.

For instance, if you read into the backgrounds of some YouTubers, a lot them are former salesmen who worked at cellular companies. Naturally, they probably are primed to look better and have a calming voice.

I wonder how many users here use the Samsung app store.

How many casuals who don't know the difference between that and Play Store?

Then again, there is a point these days how YouTube reviews / "tech" blogs are an extension of marketing (reading spec sheet, downplay negatives). Why pay a marketer a salary (spend time hiring, pay benefits) when you can pay someone else cheaper to praise (and essentially advertise) a product? Add a NDA of saying certain buzz words + film tips on what to highlight.

For instance, if you read into the backgrounds of some YouTubers, a lot them are former salesmen who worked at cellular companies. Naturally, they probably are primed to look better and have a calming voice.

Let me tell you about dBrand. Look for the link below. Dope.

I like MKBHD but he could really use a disclaimer and cut back on the obvious shilling.

Is it just me or does the current version of the Google play music app sound worse than the previous? It seems to be most noticeable when listening to FLAC music I uploaded, even if I save it locally. I thought I was just imagining it at first but uninstalling the updates actually did seem to make a noticeable difference with the same song, even.

Is it just me or does the current version of the Google play music app sound worse than the previous? It seems to be most noticeable when listening to FLAC music I uploaded, even if I save it locally. I thought I was just imagining it at first but uninstalling the updates actually did seem to make a noticeable difference with the same song, even.

This is strange... Time for research!

Read the actual reviews.
Hahaha, ok.

I think the reason that you're seeing so many negative reviews is that the reviews default to "Most Helpful" a lot of the negative ones have 4 people that up voted them to being more helpful. Probably the same 4 people that had similar experiences out of the thousands of other owners out there.

I tend to use Anandtech for reviews because they actually DO use phones for more than a day and do a lot more testing than just "I liked my S4 better!" or "My hearing aid can't hear the speaker phone!" that I see on the Verizon website.

Jeffrey

That is if your particular brand offers an unlocked model. Samsung did not release an unlocked S7 until fairly recently.

luckily there are a bunch of options these days. You can always import a international galaxy i think? I forget if those were carrier locked.

luckily there are a bunch of options these days. You can always import a international galaxy i think? I forget if those were carrier locked.

Yeah not sure if that works. I know the launch s7 was vanilla (besides samsung bloat) but as soon as you activated it would carrier lock and do the carrier bloat thing. Not sure if that would have happened with the international model or not.

Jeffrey

outside of the size shock and the wrong colour (and honestly i prefer this black colour to the aluminum they told me), this phone is really cool so far. great screen

Is this your first 'phablet'?

iphone 6+ was my first biggie, took a week to 'get used to', which is basically i dont 1 hand phone stuff anymore.

Now I can't type on my work iphone SE anymore lol.

Blitzhex

After using the 6p, I think my next phone would be 5.5" or 5.4 something, which would be completly 1 handable for me.
6p's size is great for media and I find myself watching a lot more youtube and netflix on this thing than I ever did in all my years owning smartphones. Dual speakers helps with that too.

Jeffrey

6P is 5.7". 5.5" are noticeably shorter phones.

ooh, so its a decent jump.

Seems like XDA and huawei are partnering up to drum up interest in the dev community for the honor 8.

http://www.xda-developers.com/xda-and-honor-kick-off-partnership/

This is kinda a big deal. If the kirin phones can develop a scene, and huawei keeps up the output of phones to the west, I can see huawei making a name for themselves here.

huawei, ZTE, oppo (oneplus). All that's left is xiaomi lol.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Two weeks until Nougat drops. One week until Allo. Looking forward to it.

Noema

6P is 5.7". 5.5" are noticeably shorter phones.

Depends on the phone. The LG G4 is pretty small for a 5.5" phone, whereas the iPhone 6s plus is almost comically huge. It's only 1mm shorter than the Nexus 6 even though the screen is half an inch smaller.

The Nexus 6 is one chunky phone, but for all its faults, it has a fantastic screen to bezel ratio, and front facing stereo speakers to boot.

huawei, ZTE, oppo (oneplus). All that's left is xiaomi lol.

2017 Nexus Mi. Believe.

Saiyan-Rox

Depends on the phone. The LG G4 is pretty small for a 5.5" phone, whereas the iPhone 6s plus is almost comically huge. It's only 1mm shorter than the Nexus 6 even though the screen is half an inch smaller.

The Nexus 6 is one chunky phone, but for all its faults, it has a fantastic screen to bezel ratio, and front facing stereo speakers to boot.

2017 Nexus Mi. Believe.

The Nexus 6 got a lot of flack some of it well deserved but I liked that phone.

Also Xperia Nexus please.

Noema

Also Xperia Nexus please.

Tumblr_lxycobDCIx1r13t1p.gif

It'd be 160mm tall with a 5.2" screen and a 2200mAh battery. It would overheat after 3 minutes of shooting video and it'd have a non functional Fingerprint scanner at the top.

Oh, and $850.

Saiyan-Rox

Tumblr_lxycobDCIx1r13t1p.gif

It'd be 160mm tall with a 5.2" screen and a 2200mAh battery. It would overheat after 3 minutes of shooting video and it'd have a non functional Fingerprint scanner at the top.

Oh, and $850.

If Google have reigns at least a bit I could see it being a good phone but yeah if left completely to Sony they'd go bonkers.

Hitta93

Banned

Design is key.

Top Bottom