• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Sexy, so sexy. This is the battery life I always wanted.

6rSFYKs.jpg
An endurance test I did in which I used it a lot. ZUK Z2

Jeffrey

Sexy, so sexy. This is the battery life I always wanted.

An endurance test I did in which I used it a lot. ZUK Z2

nice. seems like a kickass phone for $300. note 7 battery in a 5" 1080p phone will give you those on screen time lol.

how is the home button? Seems like a unique way of interacting with android compared to your normal 3 button layout.

nice. seems like a kickass phone for $300. note 7 battery in a 5" 1080p phone will give you those on screen time lol.

how is the home button? Seems like a unique way of interacting with android compared to your normal 3 button layout.

It's amazing. At first I missed the other buttons, but once you get use to it, there's no turning back.

Asgaro

Snapchat's latest change log.

I thought this was related to the Travel Mode (which I have enabled at all times), but then my hype got destroyed when I realized it's about the Android battery saver mode. (which never gets triggered on this device since it has around 2-day battery life. Sony, be praised.)

Still great to see. Maybe that Instagram competition will push the devs towards more enhancements.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Powerful post on Allo and Duo https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/4y042j/so_far_ultngnx_is_right_about_allo_and_duo_at/

/u/LTNGNX said that Google will release the apps right before Android Nougat and also given how the lg V20 will be showcased on September 6, this leads me to believe that Android Nougat will be officially released on Tuesday, August 30. Want to know why?
Because lollipop was released October 28, which was a Tuesday.
Marshmallow was released on September 29, and again another Tuesday.
And today Duo was released, August 16 yet again another Tuesday.
So following this pattern, Allo will be released exactly one next week from today (Tuesday, August 23), and Nougat (maybe the new Nexuses as well) will be released exactly one week from Allo's released date (Tuesday, August 30).

Quasar

So I tried out the iOS 10 beta on my ipad to see what android features have been added.

One interesting thing is the widgets in the lock/google now screen. An improvement. Hopefully google creates a widget to get google now/assistant into ios. Actually widgets for all google apps would be nice to make them feel more part of the os. So far there is just a chrome widget. Still I wonder why they still wont allow widgets on tne home screen.

Of course google might avoid widget support just to encourage switchers who'd rather more integration.

Cross app search / deep linking from search continues to be pretty limited.

Quasar

I'm glad I ordered a 6P. Everything about the HTC Nexus phones just seems worse and worse to me. Don't like the design.

Half expecting a giant Nexus logo on the bottom

I've yet to see anything that bothers me. Am wondering though how they will handle the new update system in terms of storage. Will they just do the same as now and just partition it different so people have less storage? Or adjust it so people get the same amount of usable storage.

rc213

The only thing that worries me is battery size as HTC can never get a decent size one in their phones.

Phones look thicker so there better be a fat battery in that sucker filling in Dat Chin!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Tronsmart 12,000 Quick Charge 3.0

Out of stock on Amazon, one of the few that I've found that fast charges 5X/6P.
Does the charger also quick charge?

I'm glad I ordered a 6P. Everything about the HTC Nexus phones just seems worse and worse to me. Don't like the design.

There's nothing to be glad about until the phones actually release. And even then, the 6P will probably have a solid price drop. Unless you needed the phone asap

I've yet to see anything that bothers me. Am wondering though how they will handle the new update system in terms of storage. Will they just do the same as now and just partition it different so people have less storage? Or adjust it so people get the same amount of usable storage.

I'm partially biased against HTC, to be fair. From the HTC DHD, m7, 2 m8s, and a Nexus 9 - I've had nothing but poor experiences with them and especially their customer service. Just not siting well with me, especially after seeing the huge useless bezels

Does the charger also quick charge?

There's nothing to be glad about until the phones actually release. And even then, the 6P will probably have a solid price drop. Unless you needed the phone asap

The 6P is a completely free replacement for my Z3 from Rogers.

Bboy AJ

As a 6P owner, I'd be looking to not own an 810 device. When it heats up, the phone slows to a crawl.

Bboy AJ

I don't play any phone games, and the only time I watch videos on my phone is in wifi and in bed. I think I'll be alright. At the very least, it'll still outperform my Z3
Same. It still affects my usage. Just sayin!

I want a new Nexus 9. Pixel C is old and not worth it now.

You wont care about the new design when your 6p is overheating. You look at and care about leak photos but dont read up on how shitty the 810 is? You bought a year and a half old processor that ran like shit the day it released.

My 5x overheats and sucks power like no other which is the same architecture.

Urgh. Note 7 still has no quick charge 3 support. $850 phone. Probably for parity with international version.

No its because its usb c and qc3 doesnt meet usb c specs.

If Google goes for a new Nexus 9, I hope they go with Huawei or LG for it. Hated the light bleed and loose back of the original 9, though it felt premium in the hand otherwise.

Pixel C has none of those issues and is premium as fuck. Not to mention the awesome battery life. If anyone sees one for a good price I would highly recommend it.

Urgh. Note 7 still has no quick charge 3 support. $850 phone. Probably for parity with international version.
Doesn't it have 25w USB-C quick charge though?

Pixel C has none of those issues and is premium as fuck. Not to mention the awesome battery life. If anyone sees one for a good price I would highly recommend it.

My biggest problem is being located in Canada. It simply isn't worth it, not for nearly $1,000 before tax

So that QC 3.0 battery pack the guy mentioned above will not fast charge a nexus 5X?

Jeffrey

And a ton of phones this year are USB c and qc3 regardless of not meeting the specs.

Jeffrey

Yes it will. It just won't be fast charging with Qualcomm tech.

What's your point? Samsung is not one of them. I don't want my shit ruined bc my charger doesnt follow the spec.

samsung still supports QC2.0 with type C cable on their note 7, and I'm pretty sure their own adaptive charging is quite similar to how QC works.

I'm trying to find any hubbub ever since that article in april from that google employee, but I can't seem to find much? Has any HTC10 or G5's blown up because of type-c + QC3 issues?

Phone released a couple weeks ago here. I've checked it out a few times and it's awesome, but I don't think I can live with the grace ui/touchwiz. The new UI and system wide icon theming is very good though.
If samsung released google edition of their flagships again, they could steal the stock android market share. I'm really not looking forward to 3 years of htc nexuses.

their last stock phone sold like double dogshit

the general public does not want a Nexus

they want a phone with the extra features

like previous Samsung devices, it supports Samsung's Adaptive Fast Charge.

83397.png

also, long before Qualcomm had quick charge, Samsung had fast charging, they just didn't have a fancy name for it.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
If the $400/$450 price they are listing is true that is crazy expensive. They'd have to be crazy to be charging that much.

(Edit) It's true, damn that is too much for the chipset it has.
$450 for 4GB/64GB. It's about on point. The kirin 950 isn't a slouch, but Huawei is clearly trying to make a foothold in the US

Jeffrey

$400/450 on the live stream. $50 giftcard if preorder? Can be gotten from best buy... and i missed the rest.

$350 is a good price for 32gb (it supports sd card).

they picked a bad year/time to announce this.... Although i hear good things about the 950 vs 820 in cpu stuff?

Although I love how all of a sudden there are 3 powerhouse $400 chinese android phones you can buy in the US. Hope this section grows to at least put some pressure on HTC/LG/Samsung/Apple etc in the US.

$450 for 4GB/64GB. It's about on point. The kirin 950 isn't a slouch, but Huawei is clearly trying to make a foothold in the US
At $450 for 64GB's you are paying more than the OnePlus 3 or Axon 7. The issue with that is the Kirin 950 is considerably weaker than the 820. It's terrible in comparison to the 820 for Graphics performance. The OP3 has the perk of having more RAM and open software development, the Axon 7 has the speakers, extended warranty, and improved DAC. The Honor 8 doesn't really sound like it has advantages.

this_guy

At $450 for 64GB's you are paying more than the OnePlus 3 or Axon 7. The issue with that is the Kirin 950 is considerably weaker than the 820. It's terrible in comparison to the 820 for Graphics performance. The OP3 has the perk of having more RAM and open software development, the Axon 7 has the speakers, extended warranty, and improved DAC. The Honor 8 doesn't really sound like it has advantages.

CPU should be equal to the Snapdragon 820 but gpu is weaker. For web browsing and general usage performance should be on par. It has a solid camera and I prefer the smaller size, but I do wish it was priced less than OnePlus 3/Axon 7. At least they're offering a $50 giftcard with preorders. The hardware itself looks pretty nice.

I'll wait for reviews and official Nexus announcements in the mean time. Camera reviews I've seen for the Huawei P9 (same set up as this Honor 8) show it's a pretty good camera but still a notch below the Galaxy S7.

Jeffrey

Amazon, Best Buy, Newegg, B&H Photo is where you can get it... feel like Oneplus needs to get their stuff on 3rd party sites sooner or later.

They really should bake that preorder price permanently. No reason to get a 32gb 4gb honor 8 at $400 compare to the a7 or op3.

Seems like the dual camera setup is good? better than op or a7 maybe... who knows.

Wonder if this is just the first step, and maybe they will bring the premium line over someday too?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'm almost certain the Mate 9 is coming to the US. Huawei wants a strong foothold in the US. And cheap unlocked devices like the honor 8 is the beginning. OnePlus, ZTE and Oppo seem to realize that a cheap unlocked device is the best way into the US now.

Jeffrey

Probably why they agreed to do the Nexus last year. Seemed to be generally well liked outside of the 810 which isn't their fault really.

Think the biggest standout for the device is the dual camera setup they took from the p9 (without the leica branding lol), which I recall was reviewed well?

Don't think theres been any 'amazing' cameras in the $400 price range smartphone yet, so this could be a good angle to approach.

Also IR blaster!

And there needs to be more sexy blue phones.

their last stock phone sold like double dogshit

the general public does not want a Nexus

they want a phone with the extra features

On verizons website the consumer reviews are terrible for both the s7 and the s7 edge.

The HTC 10 reviews are consistently happy.

If features are what they want they sure arent enjoying them. Pretty sure you are confusing advertising and features. Samsung crams ads and pays carriers off to pedal their crap down peoples throats.

I didnt know free headsets, watches and sd cards came with stock android devices. Its not even a fair comparison.

On verizons website the consumer reviews are terrible for both the s7 and the s7 edge.

The HTC 10 reviews are consistently happy.
Are you talking about Verizon Wireless's website, or a different Verizon?

I checked Verizon Wireless and the S7 and S7 Edge both have 4.5/5 rating with about 5000 across both of them.

The HTC 10 has the same 4.5/5 score with about 150 reviews.

Top Bottom