• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Wouldn't be surprised if Sailfish was $450/$500/$600 and Marlin was $500/$550/$650. I think they can get away with charging that kind of a premium over the Axon 7 or OnePlus 3 if the phones really do have an 821 among other high end components. I know Apple does it with the iPhone 6S/6S Plus, but I would be surprised if Google had an $100 price difference between the two phones if the only difference was the obvious size/screen/battery changes.

That being said I expect there will be a $50 difference between the phones and with that in mind I cannot see them pricing Marlin cheaper than the Nexus 6P, especially since it will have higher end components. So $450/$500 makes more sense to me.

(Edit) So a Telus Community Manager posted a software update schedule and it shows the Nexus 5X and 6P receiving Android N on the 22nd of August.
http://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility/Software-Update-Schedule/ta-p/53566

Had an eventful week with my S7 Edge.

I was tubing down a river last Friday and dropped my phone at the very end (the deepest part of the river with the strongest current, unfortunately). We dove for it but weren't able to find it and I didn't have any signal where the river was so I couldn't call or use Find My Phone, so the next day I filed a lost phone claim and got a new one shipped out to me. Thought I had lost all my pictures, my 64gb SD card, and my 10 day old Spigen case. with it.

Two days later I get an email from people who were diving in the river who had found my phone, charged it, and it was still working (thankfully I put my email address on the lock screen)! It had a tiny scratch on the screen and the speaker was garbled at 50%+ volume, so I decided to keep the new replacement phone.

Day after that, I read online that a garbled speaker in a waterproof Samsung phone is somewhat common and only a temporary problem, so I put it in a bag of rice for a full day and now it's working perfectly! Just a small scratch on the screen after being 8-10 feet deep in a rocky river for nearly 2 days is pretty impressive.

this_guy

besides splitscreen, what else are the major bulletpoints of nougat?

Doze is supposed to be improved for better battery life. The complaint with Doze as it is currently is it pretty much only works if you're phone is laying down and not being touched. If it's in your pocket you don't get the benefits. The new version is supposed to improve its functionality.

reKon

Banned
Doze is supposed to be improved for better battery life. The complaint with Doze as it is currently is it pretty much only works if you're phone is laying down and not being touched. If it's in your pocket you don't get the benefits. The new version is supposed to improve its functionality.

Greenify currently has this functionality for non-root and rooted devices.

I was tubing down a river last Friday and dropped my phone at the very end (the deepest part of the river with the strongest current, unfortunately). We dove for it but weren't able to find it and I didn't have any signal where the river was so I couldn't call or use Find My Phone, so the next day I filed a lost phone claim and got a new one shipped out to me. Thought I had lost all my pictures, my 64gb SD card, and my 10 day old Spigen case. with it.

Two days later I get an email from people who were diving in the river who had found my phone, charged it, and it was still working (thankfully I put my email address on the lock screen)! It had a tiny scratch on the screen and the speaker was garbled at 50%+ volume, so I decided to keep the new replacement phone.

Day after that, I read online that a garbled speaker in a waterproof Samsung phone is somewhat common and only a temporary problem, so I put it in a bag of rice for a full day and now it's working perfectly! Just a small scratch on the screen after being 8-10 feet deep in a rocky river for nearly 2 days is pretty impressive.

That's pretty rad!

Yeah, okay. But what about Touchwiz and what if they're going to install Tizen on the phone with the next OTA update?

Yeah, okay. But what about Touchwiz and what if they're going to install Tizen on the phone with the next OTA update?

Touchwiz is fine dude, i'm still rockin my S6 Edge stock and its still running fine ...just like any phone iOS or Android if you install a bunch of app or a few fishy app's, it gonna slow it down a bit....just keep it with app you use the most and uninstall stuff you barely use ....

Jeffrey

happy ending, but you probably should look into something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LBK7OSY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I got one of these for when i kayak.

Asgaro

Who said Nougat was coming Aug 22? you were right: http://www.droid-life.com/2016/08/18/telus-nougat-august-22/

yyyyeeeeeeeeeeee booiiii

3zpfybd.gif

Jeffrey

yeah has there been any talk about daydream stuff recently?

axon 7 and zenphone deluxe are the only 'daydream ready' phones so far. Nexus will probably be too.

Jeffrey

4 year old features are major benefits?

shhh its a feature from google so its clearly better.

but yeah, nougat is a sleeper release for customers for the most part outside of splitscreen.

I feel like they probably planning something big for 2017 because its kinda obvious that ios will probably get some key changes to line up with 10th anniversary for iphone.

Blitzhex

axon 7 and zenphone deluxe are the only 'daydream ready' phones so far. Nexus will probably be too.

6p is daydream ready, although it heats up like hell during vr use. It would still be usable somehow I'm guessing.

CronoShot

If it's just

- AMOLED, 1080p or higher
- Snapdragon 820 or higher
- USB-C

as requirements, then the OnePlus 3, Moto Z, and Note 7 should be capable.

Damn the Honor 8 is nice. Outside of EMUI it seems like a great device although I am not sure how the Kirin processor will be. It's supposedly equal to the SD 652? 2016 is such a great year so far for $400 mid to high end devices.

this_guy

Damn the Honor 8 is nice. Outside of EMUI it seems like a great device although I am not sure how the Kirin processor will be. It's supposedly equal to the SD 652? 2016 is such a great year so far for $400 mid to high end devices.

Kirin processor - cpu is equal to Exynos (both use 4 A72 cores for the fast cores) but it has a slower gpu (Snapdragon 820 has the best gpu). Honor is running at 1080 resolution so it should somewhat offset the weaker gpu. Web browsing and just general skimming around the OS should be roughly equivalent with Snapdragon 820 and Samsung's Exynos. I would say it's higher end than Snapdragon 652.

No real spec requirements have been announced, but Google has announced eight hardware partners that will make Daydream-ready phones, including Samsung, HTC, LG, Xiaomi, Huawei, ZTE, Asus, and Alcatel.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/11703418/google-daydream-vr-platform-smartphone-manufacturers

Noema

It sits somewhere in the middle between the SD810 and the SD820. Definitely faster than the 652 and actually comparable to the newest Exynos.

Probably more power efficient than the Qualcomm chips too.

The Honor 8 is nice. I feel the base model offers a better value at $400. The camera is pretty good, good battery, excellent build quality.

It sits somewhere in the middle between the SD810 and the SD820. Definitely faster than the 652 and actually comparable to the newest Exynos.

Probably more power efficient than the Qualcomm chips too.

The Honor 8 is nice. I feel the base model offers a better value at $400. The camera is pretty good, good battery, excellent build quality.

Have there been any impressions on the battery life? Also the camera is pretty much the same as the P9 correct?

this_guy

Have there been any impressions on the battery life? Also the camera is pretty much the same as the P9 correct?

Yes it's the same camera set up as the P9 but without the Leica branding. The Leica branding was just branding. It uses the same sensor as P9.

Battery life should be in the same range as the P9, OnePlus 3 and Axon 7. Roughly similar battery size, the P9 uses a faster clocked version (Kirin 955 vs Kirin 950) of the processor, and the phone will have some type of fast charging as well.

50 bucks off, but they don't have the awesome blue - only best buy does at the moment :/

The White seems the most practical to me because of the fingerprint issue. I probably won't get it cause let's face it, I don't need it, but may wanna get one for dual-sim purposes or as my backup phone I dunno. Give me a reason!

Jeffrey

dont newegg and other stores give you their store gift card? seems more useful than a huawei gift card.

Wish I had the cash for $400 backup phones :p

Are we 100% sure about that? I thought the render Android Police threw out did not have any Nexus branding on it and instead had the signature Google G on the bottom. Maybe they are going to drop the Nexus name this year in favor of something else?

Yeah thats why this article is bullshit. The google phones are the htc nexus phones and the htc nexus phones are the google phones.

Google is ditching the oem nexus branding they used in the past which is why the media thinks there are OMG BRAND NEW GOOGLE PHONES!

I can't get over this phone. 6P is like... My perfect thing. Build of the HTC m7 without the garish front, much better front facing speakers, beautiful screen and great camera. Fingerprint sensor is almost instantaneous from the moment I pull the phone out of my pocket.

Shit is nuts.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The 6P is nearly Google Phone perfection. Don't be ashamed, embrace it.

I've been using it 95% exclusively. And if you know me, that's a high praise

Jeffrey

is the 6P generally considered the best nexus (if size isn't an issue.) so far? ? SD 810, yeah, but it doesn't have any of the faults other nexuses typically have (bad battery, bad camera).

Jzero

is the 6P generally considered the best nexus (if size isn't an issue.) so far? ? SD 810, yeah, but it doesn't have any of the faults other nexuses typically have (bad battery, bad camera).

I've literally had to replace every single nexus device since they've all came with something broken. The only thing my 6P has is shitty battery life (~ 3 hours SoT max)

So yea it's pretty much the only one i haven't had to return.

Top Bottom