• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

I've literally had to replace every single nexus device since they've all came with something broken. The only thing my 6P has is shitty battery life (~ 3 hours SoT max)

So yea it's pretty much the only one i haven't had to return.

Honestly, even coming from the Z3, battery life isn't that bad. I certainly get a lot at 50% brightness, no WiFi, no BT, etc. 4-5 SOT so far, so I imagine 3-4 hours once it starts to really get some wear and usage in. Coupled with charging to 100% in ~65mins and I have no issues personally with the battery.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I can't get over this phone. 6P is like... My perfect thing. Build of the HTC m7 without the garish front, much better front facing speakers, beautiful screen and great camera. Fingerprint sensor is almost instantaneous from the moment I pull the phone out of my pocket.

Shit is nuts.
It's a wonderful phone and looks to be better than the new one, 810 aside.

Jeffrey

How big of an issue is heating and throttling on a sd 810 anyways for daily usage?

I assume its the most notable for hefty gaming?

Quasar

I've literally had to replace every single nexus device since they've all came with something broken. The only thing my 6P has is shitty battery life (~ 3 hours SoT max)

You really are cursed. Used my 4 (which I carried nude) from launch up until marshmallow where no os update forced me to retire it. My 5x since then has worked perfectly. Dunno if I'll be still on my 5x when it eol's next year though.

How big of an issue is heating and throttling on a sd 810 anyways for daily usage?

It's pretty common on the 5x which is close enough. It slows down, heats up and chews through battery with any browsing or multitasking.

I am on dp5 though.

I find it ridiculous anyone would mess with these chips at this point regardless of a discount. These chips were a huge mistake for Qualcomm that was known almost 2 years ago. Buying one off the shelf now is beyond stupid.

They will not last.

It's a wonderful phone and looks to be better than the new one, 810 aside.
Yep. I'm glad I didn't wait. Everything about the next Nexus phones has me scratching my head as to why Google tried to partner with HTC.

The most intensive games I've tried for shits and giggles were FF Mobius and Hearthstone. Only noticed heat in Hearthstone, but that's a piss poor Android port.

Hitta93

Banned
Don't know if this is the right place to discuss it, but the new TMobile One plans, does my pre-existing family plan (4 lines, 10GB per for $120) automatically get upgraded to the new price?

Really don't have a need or want for unlimited data.

Blitzhex

That's bad. I'm getting 5 hours sot average along with atleast 24 hours standby on my 6p. I can get up to 6.5 hours sometimes, but haven't tried it past that before charging.
I've only got adwaway running with root, everything else stock, but I don't have twitter, facebook or snapchat. I've heard those cause wakelocks and generally kill battery.

Jigolo

Sailfish bezels could be cut in half with still more than enough space for front facing speakers D:

Still gonna buy it if 821 granted the leaked pics are real

reKon

Banned
I think I'm really about to fuck around and pick up a Galaxy Tab Pro S. All I essentially wanted was a tablet with a much bigger, beautiful screen with strong battery life, performance that at the very least matches the Galaxy Tab S2 (it really is a great performer), and that's extremely thin with a keyboard attachment for typing when web browsing (not typing papers or anything - I have a powerful desktop at home with a good keyboard). Galaxy Tab Pro S checks off all of those. Just need confirmation from XDA that Remix will run on this thing because I would love to be able to dual boot that.

Obviously this a less power device with one port, but in terms of power literally anything more would be over kill. The only thing that would have been a nice bonus would be an 8 GB version for $50 more or so. The MSRP right now is $750, which dropped from $900. I think I'd pull the trigger at 700

This in my eyes is a better buy than the Pixel C, despite the Pixel C having a better keyboard. Pixel C's keyboard doesn't have a trackpad, which I care about more than having an high quality typing experience. There's no expandable storage for either device, but The Tab Pro gives me 128 GB, which is perfect for my uses.

One thing I don't understand is why some of you are waiting for new Android tablets, when there's 2 in 1 windows touch screen devices that are out, which can run Remix OS... Also there will be future chromebooks (possibly 2 in 1 devices) that you have access to the Google Play store on? Why the hell would you want an Android tablet? If it's a portability thing, just buy a Galaxy Tab S2 or heavily discounted Pixel C and call it day, lol..

I need something light in my hand when I use a tablet and the Tab S2 was perfect for me. I have tons of Windows stuff like my laptop and desktop so I don't need full blown Windows for my tablet. Just something easy to access using touch screen. I am honestly super happy with my Tab S2. The battery could be better and so could the speaker alignment, but all in all, I feel it'll be my go to tablet for awhile.

I had at one point the Nvidia Shield K1 and it was terrible due to how heavy it was. It was so uncomfortable to hold. The bezels made it much bulkier than it should have been.

Furyous

O shit IR blaster? Is this Furyous's dream device?

It uses a Kirin a processor so this is out of consideration. The build quality is suspect as well since no knows about the long-term software support for the device. I like minimal devices and this device has an ugly Huawei logo on it. A smaller stockish G5 with flagship specs and a side fingerprint sensor like the Z5 are one of my dream devices.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't want to jump through hoops to get Android, so that's why I would never consider a Windows tablet. Also, why pay 900 dollars for a tablet? I have a PC, a laptop and getting a 2-in-1 just means you're compromising on both ends. You get an expensive tablet and a shitty laptop, neither would be what I look for in either devices.

I have my Tab S2 because of that glorious 4:3 and an iPad because I do iOS development and that's fine. I'll consider any Nexus or any 4:3 Android tablet as a replacement because I do not particularly enjoy the Samsung experience and want proper and swift updates to the latest OS version, but until a worthy replacement arrives, my Tab S2 (2016 refresh version) will do me fine.

this_guy

It uses a Kirin a processor so this is out of consideration. The build quality is suspect as well since no knows about the long-term software support for the device. I like minimal devices and this device has an ugly Huawei logo on it. A smaller stockish G5 with flagship specs and a side fingerprint sensor like the Z5 are one of my dream devices.

Huawei is promising 24 months software support and regular security updates (although they won't commit to monthly).

Design looks nice, but yeah really wished they didn't put "Honor" on the front like that.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Futu...t-up-to-24-months-of-software-updates_id84296

reKon

Banned
I don't want to jump through hoops to get Android, so that's why I would never consider a Windows tablet. Also, why pay 900 dollars for a tablet? I have a PC, a laptop and getting a 2-in-1 just means you're compromising on both ends. You get an expensive tablet and a shitty laptop, neither would be what I look for in either devices.

I have my Tab S2 because of that glorious 4:3 and an iPad because I do iOS development and that's fine. I'll consider any Nexus or any 4:3 Android tablet as a replacement because I do not particularly enjoy the Samsung experience and want proper and swift updates to the latest OS version, but until a worthy replacement arrives, my Tab S2 (2016 refresh version) will do me fine.

I wouldn't pay $900. My work computer is the X1 Carbon, but my company restricts things like Chrome extensions and the battery life is not great. I wouldn't need a laptop at home because of my desktop and when I'm on the road I don't need a powerhouse. For me the experience would not be shitty. 90% of my use is literally for web browsing an streaming. I want to do that on a bigger screen with smooth performance and keyboard. If I actually wanted to game, I'd be streaming rather than actually running games off the device. A Core M3 will run Android games fine, which is all that I care about so that's where Remix OS comes in (which on a properly supported device becomes a superior version of Android anyways). That's why I'm considering buying this for around $700. Also one big reason for me is PS4 remote play. Windows version runs very well. I'd rather have a light 2 in 1 chromebook than a Android tablet. Problem is that there's no reliable method of running the remote play app off of chromebooks. The current solution is very clunky and you need a modified APK to do it.

Jeffrey

Huawei seems commited, but its best to 'see' before committing. Out of the box, out of the 3 chinese companies fighting in the $400 price range, ZTE got marshmallow out the quickest for their premium phone.

So is Nexus not getting 821? seems like all recent benchmarks are showing 820's for both sizes.

ACE 1991

Well, I was sold on going with an unlocked phone until I realized that it will only cost me about $10 extra to swap out the subsidized price phone for a brand new one since verizon decreases line access price from $40 to $20 when moving to this plan. Should I just get an S7? Also, are there rumors that Verizon is going to start selling the next iteration of the Nexus? If so I might wait for that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yep. I'm glad I didn't wait. Everything about the next Nexus phones has me scratching my head as to why Google tried to partner with HTC.

The most intensive games I've tried for shits and giggles were FF Mobius and Hearthstone. Only noticed heat in Hearthstone, but that's a piss poor Android port.
Nah, you still made a questionable decision and you're rationalizing it haha. It's fine, though. We've all been there due to impatience. The smart decision would have been to wait for the new models to come out. Then you could make a fully informed decision.

The disbelief about the 810 only overheating due to games or whatever is craziness. The phone will slow to a crawl during normal usage during the summer. Switching apps will cause it to hear up and crap the bed. It's a bad processor. Flat out bad.

Noema

Nah, you still made a questionable decision and you're rationalizing it haha. It's fine, though. We've all been there due to impatience. The smart decision would have been to wait for the new models to come out. Then you could make a fully informed decision.

The disbelief about the 810 only overheating due to games or whatever is craziness. The phone will slow to a crawl during normal usage during the summer. Switching apps will cause it to hear up and crap the bed. It's a bad processor. Flat out bad.

Yeah, there's no way around it. Anandtech and others showed very clearly how hard the governor will throttle down the cores and it doesn't take much for it to completely shut down the A57 cores completely. There's a reason they went with the little.big cluster configuration: ARM knew how much those A57 cores would heat up and they needed something to fall back on.

Just because the phone feels "fine" doesn't mean it's not throttling all the way to hell and back. A lot of people, many reviewers included, feel the OP2 was "just fine", yet the 810 was basically performing at the level of a 61x SoC since the A57 cores had to be offline 90% of the time.

this_guy

The M8 was widely touted as the best smartphone on 2014.

Sense UI is still much better than TouchWiz and whatever LG calls their Android skin.

By who? It was widely panned for using a shit camera, the same shit camera used the previous year in the M7.

Jeffrey

Played around with Note 7 at best buy. Great phone. Top of the line display and easy to hold compare to the s7edge.

Still wish samesung will allow button swapping and what not, and still never understood why the middle button is an actual button while side ones are capacitive.

Also wtf, did they raise the price, or just t-mobile being cheaper?

t-mobile: $850
sprint/verizon $899
at&t: $880

Jesus.

Jeffrey

what does nougat even add to galaxy phones lol. Samsung use their own battery saving stuff, and they've had (a better) splitscreen since forever.

Jeffrey

for axon 7 folks. People figured out why double tap to wake is so unreliable. Seems like some left over settings for their 'force touch' model is screwing with that.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/how-to/how-to-increase-touch-sensitivity-t3443052

easy guide to address that (works for me).

Seems like the way to unlock without bootloader for chinese versions works for US/EU versions

http://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/development/wip-axon-7-root-bootloader-unlokced-t3441204

Axon 7 will definitely have some legs past its '2 year warranty' for sure.

No Love

Banned
Played around with Note 7 at best buy. Great phone. Top of the line display and easy to hold compare to the s7edge.

Still wish samesung will allow button swapping and what not, and still never understood why the middle button is an actual button while side ones are capacitive.

sprint/verizon $899

Jesus.

If they're in stock, my friend is snagging me one today for $500. Should be blow my LG G4 out da water. I'm Ok with the Note 7 basically being an S7 Edge+ with an S-Pen.

Ah well, coming from my Z3, it's still an improvement. I'm planning to buy a new phone next Fall off contract anyways, yearly upgrades are my thing.

http://www.lgg3wallpaper.com

Cool website with a bunch of already formatted 1440x2560 wallpaper so you don't have to crop.

most of these are lower resolution images cropped from a 1920x1080 (?) source then stretched to vertical 1440p, lol

sprint/verizon $899

Jesus.

it's $849.99 retail at Sprint

Sense UI is still much better than TouchWiz and whatever LG calls their Android skin.

i know many touted the shell design as the best looking physical enclosure surrounding a mobile cellular telephone, but i don;t recall anyone matching that level of acclaim to anything inside the metal frame...

LeleSocho

Banned

vRFHcSr.gif

...what?

Jeffrey

2014 was iPhone 6 right? Think everyone was freaking out about that and the plus mostly for them finally entering the big phone game.

I don't remember the HTC being talked about much in ,comparison.

Top Bottom