• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Using Duo and it is so awesome. Then my Nexus 6P heats up so quickly and I can feel the 810 struggling. For those of you who think the 810 is no big deal because you don't game, you'll see.

I'd pay for a new 6P with an SD 821, if it were an option. The new HTC one looks to not be an improvement in every way, unlike the 6P from the 6.

I think I'm really about to fuck around and pick up a Galaxy Tab Pro S. All I essentially wanted was a tablet with a much bigger, beautiful screen with strong battery life, performance that at the very least matches the Galaxy Tab S2 (it really is a great performer), and that's extremely thin with a keyboard attachment for typing when web browsing (not typing papers or anything - I have a powerful desktop at home with a good keyboard). Galaxy Tab Pro S checks off all of those. Just need confirmation from XDA that Remix will run on this thing because I would love to be able to dual boot that.

Obviously this a less power device with one port, but in terms of power literally anything more would be over kill. The only thing that would have been a nice bonus would be an 8 GB version for $50 more or so. The MSRP right now is $750, which dropped from $900. I think I'd pull the trigger at 700

This in my eyes is a better buy than the Pixel C, despite the Pixel C having a better keyboard. Pixel C's keyboard doesn't have a trackpad, which I care about more than having an high quality typing experience. There's no expandable storage for either device, but The Tab Pro gives me 128 GB, which is perfect for my uses.

One thing I don't understand is why some of you are waiting for new Android tablets, when there's 2 in 1 windows touch screen devices that are out, which can run Remix OS... Also there will be future chromebooks (possibly 2 in 1 devices) that you have access to the Google Play store on? Why the hell would you want an Android tablet? If it's a portability thing, just buy a Galaxy Tab S2 or heavily discounted Pixel C and call it day, lol..

<3 my Tab S

Huh? http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/htc-10-review-htc-builds-the-best-android-flagship-of-2016/

Your phone will be overheating and running Android 7/8 like crap while it will be flying on the new HTC nexus. Youre justifying your impatience like aj said.

But I'm already running Nougat, and it's running fine. Talk about hyperbole.

Besides that, I'm referring to the garish design of the device from what we've seen. The gigantic bezels despite bottom firing speakers are ugly as sin to me.

Well, it's HTC. Design blunders have been their specialty since forever.

Note 3 didn't get M, Note 4 won't get N.

You're probably right ;_;

Samsung really wants people off the GOAT 4, because everyone who has a Note basically wants to hang onto it forever. Because fucking Samsung can't fucking make a fucking Note which is for fucking Note users anymore.

VoxPop

Loved my M7 but the purple tint camera really soured me on them. Didn't get to try the M8/M9 but it seemed like more of the same. They certainly don't warrant the premium price they charge for the 10.

But I'm already running Nougat, and it's running fine. Talk about hyperbole.

Besides that, I'm referring to the garish design of the device from what we've seen. The gigantic bezels despite bottom firing speakers are ugly as sin to me.

Youve been on a fresh android install for a few days and you think that's your final experience? Give it time.

You are way obsessing looks over usability.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Note 7 seems to be baller as fuck.

That being said I'm not sure it's $850+ baller as fuck.

Not to say the Note doesn't appear to be better than the GS7/E, but idk if it's $250 more baller let alone $450 more baller than the Axon 7.

Jeffrey

speaking of heat, been trying some hefty games on my axon 7 and pretty surprised at how well it distributes the heat. Still warm, but its not like my old 6+ where a certain corner basically burns your finger.

Not to say the Note doesn't appear to be better than the GS7/E, but idk if it's $250 more baller let alone $450 more baller than the Axon 7.

Time will tell. I still saw some hitches when playing around with the test unit at best buy.

Samsung's Snapdragon phones have always been less smooth than you'd like for the price imo.

Best to import the Galaxy international version if you want one that runs the best.

VoxPop

I don't think it really warrants the $200 over the S7E but it's certainly $450 more baller than the Axon 7. Cmon now.

Crossposting from the S7 and Edge thread but Just the edge today. I love the phone so far but battery is draining rapidly. Should I give it a few days to settle? I also got a gear fit 2 so would Bluetooth be affecting it?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Want a cheaper Note 7? Wait a month. Half off.

Jeffrey

Where are people getting the notion the N7 is 200 bucks more than the S7e?

guess if you are looking at international versions, they are typically around $620ish.

I don't think it really warrants the $200 over the S7E but it's certainly $450 more baller than the Axon 7. Cmon now.

Depends on what you value. Both share the same processor and ram amount, so the key differentiation points is better amoled panel, s pen, touchwiz, wireless,waterproof. 1 year less warranty.

Is that worth over double the price of an axon7/op3 or other chinese stuff?

I think the key advantage of $400 price point is that you can upgrade annually for the same price as getting a note every 2 years.

Android phones are great year 1, afterwards... YMMV with performance, and who knows about updates.

Crossposting from the S7 and Edge thread but Just the edge today. I love the phone so far but battery is draining rapidly. Should I give it a few days to settle? I also got a gear fit 2 so would Bluetooth be affecting it?
phones are always funky new because its installing all your apps and rearranging memory and what not.

See how its tomorrow.

Vanillalite

You can find a S7/E for anywhere from $550 on up depending upon the model and carrier on eBay daily deals.

Why though? In terms of internal hardware it's virtually a wash. Your basically paying for the camera and a slightly nicer screen + spen for $450 more.

In terms of effective cost that seems like the Axon wins. If the Axon really can't hack it then you'd be better of just getting the S7 and splitting the price difference vs going $850 for the Note.

Jeffrey

Wish they sold an unlocked version of the s7 active. It's definitely my jam.

Or give me a s7edge with the battery life, but without the gimmicky edge stuff.

Noema

Using Duo and it is so awesome. Then my Nexus 6P heats up so quickly and I can feel the 810 struggling. For those of you who think the 810 is no big deal because you don't game, you'll see.

I'd pay for a new 6P with an SD 821, if it were an option. The new HTC one looks to not be an improvement in every way, unlike the 6P from the 6.

All I wanted for Christmas was a 2016 6P.

for many people... myself for example... i already own the second best option... a Note 4.

all these other devices might as well be skateboards on an off-road dirt track.

Bboy AJ

Who wants to start an Allo GAF chat group? You can't join if you want to be cliquey.

for many people... myself for example... i already own the second best option... a Note 4.

all these other devices might as well be skateboards on an off-road dirt track.
You are note ready to upgrade.

VoxPop

guess if you are looking at international versions, they are typically around $620ish.

Depends on what you value. Both share the same processor and ram amount, so the key differentiation points is better amoled panel, s pen, touchwiz, wireless,waterproof. 1 year less warranty.

Is that worth over double the price of an axon7/op3 or other chinese stuff?

I think the key advantage of $400 price point is that you can upgrade annually for the same price as getting a note every 2 years.

Android phones are great year 1, afterwards... YMMV with performance, and who knows about updates.

phones are always funky new because its installing all your apps and rearranging memory and what not.

See how its tomorrow.

Vanillalite said:
Why though? In terms of internal hardware it's virtually a wash. Your basically paying for the camera and a slightly nicer screen + spen for $450 more.

In terms of effective cost that seems like the Axon wins. If the Axon really can't hack it then you'd be better of just getting the S7 and splitting the price difference vs going $850 for the Note.

Better Camera

Better Battery

Top tier screen

S-Pen featuress

Much better design

Assuming their customer service isn't as good

Much better 3rd party support with accessories

Wireless charging

No terrible capacitive buttons

Waterproof

Besides the price will probably drop into the $650-750 range in a month or two making it an even better value. Just my 2¢

Jeffrey

Better Camera

Better Battery

Top tier screen

S-Pen featuress

Much better design

Assuming their customer service isn't as good

Much better 3rd party support with accessories

Wireless charging

No terrible capacitive buttons

Waterproof

Besides the price will probably drop into the $650-750 range in a month or two making it an even better value. Just my 2¢

i've heard my fair share of horrid stories about samsung CS tho ;)

But yeah no one is arguing the note 7 has the goods, but the question is it worth $250-450 more? Depends on individuals I guess.

Feel like most people on gaf are more interested in specs though. And will buy a 720p phone with a SD 820 4gb ram for $200.

(I would)

VoxPop

i've heard my fair share of horrid stories about samsung CS tho ;)

But yeah no one is arguing the note 7 has the goods, but the question is it worth $250-450 more? Depends on individuals I guess.

Feel like most people on gaf are more interested in specs though. And will buy a 720p phone with a SD 820 4gb ram for $200.

(I would)

I'm not arguing that the A7 and OP3 aren't a great value at their price because they are but I think the S7E/N7 are definitely worth the premium for those who are willing to splurge.

You guys talking about Allo is as painful as reading the ap articles. Im ready for it. For some reason I think google may have it right this time.

Bboy AJ

You guys talking about Allo is as painful as reading the ap articles. Im ready for it. For some reason I think google may have it right this time.
If Duo is any indication, Allo will be excellent. Any messenger app by Google was always mediocre. Duo is actually good. It is Apple like in quality. It just works. But like Apple, no bells and whistles for 1.0.

Bboy AJ

Try a hangouts video chat and then Duo. Duo is so much smoother, cleaner. None of that freezing and artifacting. It is so baller. I generally avoided video chat on Hangouts because it felt like crap and a struggle. Duo is a pleasure to use.

VoxPop

Haven't been following Allo Duo at all but I'm really glad Google is finally attempting to make a decent messaging and video chat app. Just praying it doesn't end up like Messenger or Hangouts. Not even going to research it and just download it when it's available with no expectations. (Unless the APK is out already?)

Haven't been following Allo Duo at all but I'm really glad Google is finally attempting to make a decent messaging and video chat app. Just praying it doesn't end up like Messenger or Hangouts. Not even going to research it and just download it when it's available with no expectations. (Unless the APK is out already?)

People are using it but it hasn't been leaked yet from what I have seen. Hopefully Monday/Tuesday

If Duo is any indication, Allo will be excellent. Any messenger app by Google was always mediocre. Duo is actually good. It is Apple like in quality. It just works. But like Apple, no bells and whistles for 1.0.

Have you found a way to make the camera show the world facing camera as default? It kinda kills the knock knock feature that it will always show my face, and I have to be in the call in order to reverse the image and show the actual fun thing I want to show.

Bboy AJ

Have you found a way to make the camera show the world facing camera as default? It kinda kills the knock knock feature that it will always show my face, and I have to be in the call in order to reverse the image and show the actual fun thing I want to show.
No bells and whistles.

Sanjuro

Swiftkey was starting to get to me for over predicting text, figured I would give Google Keyboard another shot. Has anyone else been able to transition over long term? It just does a few things that drive me nuts.

Groof

Swiftkey was starting to get to me for over predicting text, figured I would give Google Keyboard another shot. Has anyone else been able to transition over long term? It just does a few things that drive me nuts.

I reluctantly gave up Fleksy for Google keyboard and it's been fine. Swipe prediction is still a bit questionable but overall it's miles better than what it used to be

Sanjuro

I reluctantly gave up Fleksy for Google keyboard and it's been fine. Swipe prediction is still a bit questionable but overall it's miles better than what it used to be

I can't do that swiping nonsense like the kids do.

I think the biggest drawbacks for Google Keyboard for me is not having it enter a space & caps after using a period, and when I hold down the period I can't get a quick question mark/exclamation point to enter without looking at the screen.

Blitzhex

So, can you play games without scaling problems at 720p or 1080p on the note7 with game tuner?
I'd say that's a pretty good feature, if it's possible.

Who wants to start an Allo GAF chat group? You can't join if you want to be cliquey.

You are note ready to upgrade.

This sounds like a good idea. Since most of the time I lurk, I'd be down for this just to get well acquaintanced with the app... Whenever that comes out.

Well depending on what the iPhone 7 is, I might be getting it.. But I'm going to have to retire the 6P soon as my ritual when the new ones come out... But I'm kind of bummed on HTC making the phone... It's just.. Ugh, HTC just hasn't been the same after the one, so I'm fighting with staying with the 6P for another year which is kind of what I don't want or buying the Note 7. Part of me doesn't want to buy the Note because I really really don't like TouchWiz but I don't know what to do.. What do you guys think? I really love stock and I know Nougat is coming but for technical reasons, I want the new specs and a new phone to carry that. Does it sound like I'm steering my way to the new Nexus? &#128514;

LeleSocho

Banned
Android Authority said:
Feeling thoroughly out-scienced, I asked if the cleaning cloth Zack uses in the video in an attempt to wipe off the “scratches” would be sufficient to remove transferred pick material.

Pasansky sealed the coffin shut: “It can be very, very difficult to remove metallic material transfer from glass."
Maximum Damage Control

I don't really care if it scratched the screen or it's just material deposit from the pick, if the aesthetic damage is permanent then GG5 failed and it's worse than GG4.

Hitta93

Banned
2014 was iPhone 6 right? Think everyone was freaking out about that and the plus mostly for them finally entering the big phone game.

I don't remember the HTC being talked about much in ,comparison.

I could be confusing the M7 and m8, but I'm positive both phones got heavy praise.

LeleSocho

Banned
I could be confusing the M7 and m8, but I'm positive both phones got heavy praise.

M7 got a lot of praise but the M8 did not... mostly because the design was a worse iteration of the M7 and because they were still using that 4 megapixel camera of the year before.

Vanillalite

gonna wait anyway, supply constraints starting to happen

Everything is either over priced or supply constrained.

Old Nexus phones getting phased out. Note supply constrained. Axon 7 is sold out everywhere for the next month. Nobody wants to buy the OP3.

Other phones not named Samsung with the 820 still too expensive.

Need the Nexus phones to drop to help with supply as well as more choices to help bring pricing down to stable.

Top Bottom