• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Blackhead

Redarse
So it's basically pay $600+ for a Samsung or else get a fire sale 5X if you need a cheap burner.

If neither then you gonna have to wait a month.

Wish Google would hurry the fuck up and announce the new Nexus phones.

Lol cmon breh this isn't your first Nexus launch. If the new Nexus are decent and/or decently priced, as always, then they'll be sold out until after the holidays. Get ready to wait for 2 months

this_guy

This was only one os upgrade. I believe it received lollipop and that was it. Pathetic.

Of course the S6 will get shafted after nougat but not until its update comes 9 months late and ruins the phone.

That Galaxy tab is 2 years old.

You're saying the S6 will get ruined with future updates, but at least it didn't perform like shit out of the box like the Nexus 5x. The 5x was probably the only phone I ever used where I had to reboot every 2-3 days for acceptable performance. I didn't keep it long enough for the update that supposedly 'fixed' the performance issues, but from your posts it seems like it wasn't much of a fix. I moved to the 2015 Moto X Pure edition which uses the same processor as the 5x but it performs so much better.

That Galaxy tab is 2 years old.

You're saying the S6 will get ruined with future updates, but at least it didn't perform like shit out of the box like the Nexus 5x. The 5x was probably the only phone I ever used where I had to reboot every 2-3 days for acceptable performance. I didn't keep it long enough for the update that supposedly 'fixed' the performance issues, but from your posts it seems like it wasn't much of a fix. I moved to the 2015 Moto X Pure edition which uses the same processor as the 5x but it performs so much better.

So your giving impressions of the phone before the fix? Yes it got much better but still is unsatisfactory. I am on nougat dp5.

Whats funny is these conversations have already been had with you. Its like running around in post circles every time you want to jump into a debate about something.
The Nexus 5x has default encryption out of box and neither the s6 or your Moto x are encrypted.The 808 and 810 are shit and everyone knows it.

My iPad Air 2 is pissing me off now. iTunes is terrible to use to transfer my music (and I got the 128 gb version for that reason ugh), the lack of .webm support, and now Safari is borderline unusuable for some of my more frequent sites. Going into Reddit for instance is a coin flip on whether the browser crashes (don't know it's a memory issue but even a single tab could make it crash)

So I'm looking for the best android tablet for mainly browser use. Not really concerned with apps or OS, that's what my phone is for, just a tablet with great specs and great browsing experience.

Pixel C is a direct competitor to iPad and it browses really well for me. Although at this age I would to look for a better deal than the $500 US price.

clav

Eh just watched a few minutes and those comments on detail when comparing shots. "Good. Nice." Terrible.

First, mention that those pictures were shot with auto processing, not in RAW. Makes a big difference.

Second, notice how the Samsung phones tend to oversaturate colors in point and shoot mode. In that red house and tree comparison shot, notice the shadowing of the green tree leaves and how much detail is lost when compared to the HTC camera auto shoot, which is the same as the Nexus 5x/6p.

If you shoot the same image in RAW format on the Samsung device, you will notice it will be closer to the HTC's.

I think this is a better video when describing differences in cameras (6P vs. S7E): https://youtu.be/moBYbigQzPw You'll learn something if you didn't know about how much a camera's software can tweak a JPG image.

this_guy

So your giving impressions of the phone before the fix? Yes it got much better but still is unsatisfactory. I am on nougat dp5.

Whats funny is these conversations have already been had with you. Its like running around in post circles every time you want to jump into a debate about something.
The Nexus 5x has default encryption out of box and neither the s6 or your Moto x are encrypted.The 808 and 810 are shit and everyone knows it.

You've given impressions of the 5x after the fix so I used those impressions. And yes any time you post something it's like repeating the same thing over and over - you hate Samsung.

You've given impressions of the 5x after the fix so I used those impressions. And yes any time you post something it's like repeating the same thing over and over - you hate Samsung.

Look at you completely avoiding the encryption part.

Even if I am not happy with it the current 5x runs circles around the 5x at launch. Thats how bad it was before google had to turn up the idle clock to compensate for the crappy 808.

RuGalz

If you shoot the same image in RAW format on the Samsung device, you will notice it will be closer to the HTC's.

I think this is a better video when describing differences in cameras (6P vs. S7E): https://youtu.be/moBYbigQzPw You'll learn something if you didn't know about how much a camera's software can tweak a JPG image.

I wish more reviews will look at raw files. Granted not all phone supports it but it would be nice to have it tested for ones that support raw.

this_guy

Look at you completely avoiding the encryption part.

Because that's are your reason for the shit performance that was mentioned. It's still shit performance. That reason is therefore an excuse of why the 5x (and apparently 6p) has shitty performance. Unless, you're going to use one of your what ifs - what if the Nexus didn't have required encryption? Maybe it would perform not shitty? We'll never know.

Why is a 2 year old tablet being compared to a 1 year old tablet?

Because its a flagship tablet and only received one os update.

Because that's are your reason for the shit performance that was mentioned. It's still shit performance. That reason is therefore an excuse of why the 5x (and apparently 6p) has shitty performance. Unless, you're going to use one of your what ifs - what if the Nexus didn't have required encryption? Maybe it would perform not shitty? We'll never know.

Youre using what ifs by assuming todays nexus 5x perfroms worse than the current moto x 2015.

Keep defending Samsung and Moto. They are such good companies. I mean I love how secure, updated, and great they are for the ecosystem. I love it when Samsung sells my app drawer and notifaction tray to the highest bidder. I cant wait for Samsung to swap os's or app stores on me. If I could leave the future of Android up to Lenovo and Samsung I would.

this_guy

Youre using what ifs by assuming todays nexus 5x perfroms worse than the current moto x 2015.

Lol - I know you are but what am I? That's how you sound right now.

I still have access to the 5x - I gave it to my brother. There's still a considerable difference between that and my 2015 Moto X. My old 2014 Moto X is still snappier than both.

But still, every time you post you have an irrational hatred of Samsung. I'm not the only that has noticed. Your opinions would be better regarded if you would be more objective.

I have no loyalties and used to shit on Moto all the time ( terrible cameras and subpar battery life is a Moto staple). I'm certainly not touching a Lenovo Moto.

Lol - I know you are but what am I? That's how you sound right now.

I still have access to the 5x - I gave it to my brother. There's still a considerable difference between that and my 2015 Moto X. My old 2014 Moto X is still snappier than both.

But still, every time you post you have an irrational hatred of Samsung. I'm not the only that has noticed. Your opinions would be better regarded if you would be more objective.

I have no loyalties and used to shit on Moto all the time ( terrible cameras and subpar battery life is a Moto staple). I'm certainly not touching a Lenovo Moto.

I said that to show how stupid and pointless your what if comments are.

I hate any company that updates a device once. I should be coming here and bitching about it so other consumers see who is crap and who is not. I love how you think its irrational to dislike a company who doesn't support their devices. Irrational is supporting a company that sells $500+ tablets that are not supported after 1 year.

You are also lying because you just said you didn't know what the 5x was like post performance update.

Give it up guy.

this_guy

I said that to show how stupid and pointless your what if comments are.

I hate any company that updates a device once. I should be coming here and bitching about it so other consumers see who is crap and who is not. I love how you think its irrational to dislike a company who doesn't support their devices. Irrational is supporting a company that sells $500+ tablet that are not supported after 1 year.

You are lying because you just said you didn't know what the 5x was like post performance update.

You truly argue like a child. And it's not like bringing up your 'what ifs' is a lie.

Would it surprise you if they were? Regardless, what if samsung ruined the phone with a recent software update and only the most recent reviews reflected that. Would you still just listen to the overall star rating?

I dont know why you would ignore real impressions over a stupid verizon widget that we have no idea of its accuracy

How is it not comparable? I dont care what the average star rating shows on verizons site nor do I believe them. For all we know Samsung is paying for that "overall" star rating too. Read what actually matters and thats what people are saying.

Anyways I'm done with you today. Android GAF can see who's the crazy one.

It's Oserious.

He's been shit posting for years in this thread now.

Explain to me how bitching about samsung for releasing only 1 os update is shit posting.

Look at this_guy's responses to me. He never once knew he was talking about or had responses when he was the one that jumped down my throat. Im the shit poster?

Jeffrey

Are people that adamant about android releases for samsung devices? They've always done their own stuff with touchwiz anyways, and often enough the new features in android were already available on samsung ages ago.

As long as security updates are happening, what else do people need?

Does s7/s7edge/note 7 have marshmallow's google on tap?

Who gives a fuck. Samsung releases tons of products with shit software and Google releases tons of products with shit hardware. Pick your poison.

clav

Are people that adamant about android releases for samsung devices? They've always done their own stuff with touchwiz anyways, and often enough the new features in android were already available on samsung ages ago.

Think Samsung still has a closet of devices that don't get updated if they're not the highly advertised flagships.

Also we don't know what will happen to the Galaxy S5 when Nougat releases. Probably won't get one.

Meanwhile, I'm staring at a Galaxy S3 that has Marshmallow. Seems weird how we can't have a unified update scheme across Android devices for what has almost been a decade now.

Who gives a fuck. Samsung releases tons of products with shit software and Google releases tons of products with shit hardware. Pick your poison.

I agree, but it doesn't hurt to post about it when someone has shit hardware out there.

Whats stupid is when you post something simple like that and you have a poster like this_guy attempt to jump all over your post for absolutely no reason.

Considering returning my 6P and getting something else. My fingerprint sensor is already feeling noticeably slower, and battery is... Pretty bad. I expected it to get a little better after a few discharge/charge cycles, but nope. At 40% 3 hours into my shift.

Considering returning my 6P and getting something else. My fingerprint sensor is already feeling noticeably slower, and battery is... Pretty bad. I expected it to get a little better after a few discharge/charge cycles, but nope. At 40% 3 hours into my shift.

This is why we told you to avoid the 810 and wait for the new nexus. Google has been coping with that processor by cranking up the ide frequency which has ruined battery life.

Jigolo

One thing you should know before considering any Nexus device is that Google's battery management is among the worst in Android

Noema

I'm looking forward to the Nexus announcement. Not only because I want to finally see what the phones actually look like instead of speculation, renders and blurry leaked photos, as well as the fabled SD821, but also because of the pricing.

They are in a tough spot this year with the $400 phones being such strong contenders. The OP3, A7 and Honor 8 are great devices in terms of specs and build quality, and they can potentially eat into the traditional Nexus market: high spec phones for Nerds.

So the question is, how do they price them. I can't see the large one being less than $500 with that glass back and all, and also because they have to price it higher than the small one. But then, how do you price the small one? Because at $400, that's Axon 7, OP3 territory, and those are both 5.5" phones that have few compromises. Specially if the 5" starts at 16GB with no microSD slot. And they can't price the 5.5" too low because then it'd basically cannibalize sales of the small one. Will they go for the $600+ market segment again with a premium phone? Last time they tried that stunt that didn't work well for them. The Nexus 6 crashed and burned in terms of price so bad that I got mine for $250 less than a year after its release.

$350 / $450 would be earth shattering but I don't think it's gonna happen.

reKon

Banned

Does s7/s7edge/note 7 have marshmallow's google on tap?

1) No, probably not.

2) Yes they have it.

On a side note: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note7_battery_life-blog-20047.php

Fuck off Qualcomm

reKon: Fuck off Qualcomm
Qualcomm: No

I have a Note 4 so I'm used to having the inferior Note, but unless I'm willing to switch to T-Mobile and import an International Note 7 that's pretty much how it has to be.

DrFurbs

Can someone explain google Allo. Is this SMS only? I rarely use SMS, mostly use what's app over wi-fi.

Would even sending a sticker on ALLO incur costs? I get the impression that anything on SMS that isn't text will incur a cost. So, what's why do people still use SMS to chat?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Can't wait for Allo to drop this week.

Can someone explain google Allo. Is this SMS only? I rarely use SMS, mostly use what's app over wi-fi.

Would even sending a sticker on ALLO incur costs? I get the impression that anything on SMS that isn't text will incur a cost. So, what's why do people still use SMS to chat?
It's all data.

derExperte

I wish I could get excited for new Nexus devices but the European pricing has become ridiculous and moved far beyond bad currency conversions and higher taxes, looks like they don't actually want to sell anything here. Not competitive at all anymore.

WoodWERD

Welcome to the Zuk CLUB. Lol. I have the Z2 and it's amazing. Some helpful pages are zukfans.eu and XDA. I'm going to install CM13 when it gets more stable.

Thanks! Loving the fast fingerprint access, battery life and quickcharge. The phone itself feels really solid too. I keep an eye on both of those sites, seems like there's enough interest in the phone to see some different roms soon. I might do the same with CM13 if they can keep UTouch.

The process of slowly and methodically removing all your mobile authenticators is the most annoying part of upgrading your Android version on a device.

Actually, properly backing up and restoring your text message is annoying too.

How this sort of thing is allowed to remain so cumbersome is beyond my ability to fathom.

The process of slowly and methodically removing all your mobile authenticators is the most annoying part of upgrading your Android version on a device.

Actually, properly backing up and restoring your text message is annoying too.

How this sort of thing is allowed to remain so cumbersome is beyond my ability to fathom.
Yeah, on one hand I love upgrading my phone every year or two, but I HATE setting everything back up. Even just moving from one phone to the same one took forever when I did it for my S7 Edge recently.

Even using Helium backup (which is kinda cumbersome to use) some apps don't transfer everything (no way to transfer Rayman Fiesta Run's save, annoyingly) and some don't even work unless you delete them and reinstall them.

Top Bottom