• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Yeah, on one hand I love upgrading my phone every year or two, but I HATE setting everything back up. Even just moving from one phone to the same one took forever when I did it for my S7 Edge recently.

Even using Helium backup (which is kinda cumbersome to use) some apps don't transfer everything (no way to transfer Rayman Fiesta Run's save, annoyingly) and some don't even work unless you delete them and reinstall them.

All I'm doing is properly upgrading from 5.1.1 to 6.0.1 on my Verizon Note 4 Developer Edition, it's quite a process because in doing so I have to lock and then unlock my bootloader which is hilarious for an owner of a DE device which shipped with an unlocked bootloader. I have to turn my device into a Retail Edition in order to restore it's Developer status during this upgrade process.

It's still better than being on a device which can never be unlocked. I need my root.

Jigolo

An article from XDA regarding Samsung's performance on their skin.

http://www.xda-developers.com/with-...delivers-embarrassing-real-world-performance/

Also found this image on Reddit comparing the things running on each device, wow

I0KaBJf.jpg

I was actually considering a Samsung this year too

clav

Seems to counter argument hard against those people writing, "Touchwiz is fine guys because feelings."

smh

Thanks for posting that.

Jeffrey

clearly to stay clear of LG V20.

Watching this review for honor 8. Emui doesn't seem too bad. You can always install a launcher if you don't like the default launcher and I dig some of the notification changes. Curious how the phone runs after a year.

https://youtu.be/_f0rnIC9dJ8

Whoo boy, I really hope LG manages to do good with the V20. G5 seemed to fall flat compared to it's predecessor, pray to god that won't be the case here.

Saiyan-Rox

So it's Nougat day then (apparently)

Let's see if it actually happens not that I'll get it today I'm more excited to see it hit AOSP for custom ROMS

Orbis

So mediaserver has basically crippled my S7 Edge, it used something like 55℅ of the battery yesterday and it's constantly hot and a bit laggy. Only things I did recently were install Puffin web browser (now uninstalled) and copy a file from my PC to the SD card via USB cable. Which judging by forums seems a more likely cause.

Deleted the file and rebooted, no change. Cleared data from 'Media storage' app and rebooted, no change. Are my only options now wiping the SD card or factory reset?

Is there a good calendar app for Android which will let me make custom notifications for calendar entries? I want to have all of my rostered days off alarm with Fifth Harmony's "Work From Home" but I can't seem to get custom notifications in S Planner or aCalendar.

So mediaserver has basically crippled my S7 Edge, it used something like 55℅ of the battery yesterday and it's constantly hot and a bit laggy. Only things I did recently were install Puffin web browser (now uninstalled) and copy a file from my PC to the SD card via USB cable. Which judging by forums seems a more likely cause.

Deleted the file and rebooted, no change. Cleared data from 'Media storage' app and rebooted, no change. Are my only options now wiping the SD card or factory reset?

I've had the same on my Note 5, I reckon it must be linked to the August security update patch, the problem seems to have started to me soon after updating.

Seems to be no pattern to media server going crazy, phone will be fine and then at some point during the day the process will kick in and won't stop until I notice it and do a restart. :/

Can someone explain google Allo. Is this SMS only? I rarely use SMS, mostly use what's app over wi-fi.

Would even sending a sticker on ALLO incur costs? I get the impression that anything on SMS that isn't text will incur a cost. So, what's why do people still use SMS to chat?

SMS is great for chatting because it works on any phone, any OS and everyone has it by default.

I would love to live in a world where everyone by default is using Messenger, WhatsApp or whatever chat application. But that just isn't a thing in Scandinavia. The closets is Messenger, but it's still far from universal.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I imagine they want to steer clear of the September iPhone event anyway, which looks to be the 2nd week.

I mean that makes sense, but it sucks. If Google doesn't do their event till the end of the month that puts the phones closer to Nov with the lag time between revel and ready.

Blitzhex

Do I have to remove pin and fingerprint before I backup app data with helium?
I remember nandroid backup with fingerprint on caused issues during restore.
Any other better method for specific app data backup on non root?

Is there any sort of Android Tablet out there that is/has:
8" Widescreen IPS Display
Good battery life
Runs Marshmallow
Costs £100 or under

and isn't powered by some junk tier A53 based processor?

I want something for Netflix/media playback, hence widescreen display requirement, but it seems that everyone has given up in the tablet space. Other than Lenovo or Samsung, who are both churning out real bargain basement stuff (and not necessarily at bargain basement prices)

LeleSocho

Banned
Is that really it? I thought it would have something to do with not being able to produce enough chips for all territories.

Pretty sure they would be able to produce enough chips... in fact last year they skipped the 810 dud and used Exynos all around the world for the S6

Has Google indicated when the 5x $200 offer might end? I need a second phone for 3 months starting mid September so am planning to get this and then pass the phone on to my dad. (He's still using the Nexus 5...)

Also, does the billing start when the purchase is made on the store or when the phone is first switched on?

Is there any sort of Android Tablet out there that is/has:
8" Widescreen IPS Display
Good battery life
Runs Marshmallow
Costs £100 or under

and isn't powered by some junk tier A53 based processor?

I want something for Netflix/media playback, hence widescreen display requirement, but it seems that everyone has given up in the tablet space. Other than Lenovo or Samsung, who are both churning out real bargain basement stuff (and not necessarily at bargain basement prices)

Maybe check around for a first gen Nvidia Shield tablet?

ACE 1991

Should I get a screen protector for my s7 edge? I'm in love with the screen but I'm reading that it scratches pretty easily, and that all the tempered glass protectors that currently exist suck. Hm.

Vanillalite

Yeah it will only be a few months until 830.

It will, but it won't.

I feel like some weird form of time dilation happens in our mind because post Sept we get into the Holiday Marathon. I mean Samsung usually launches first, and that probably won't really be till March sometime. The Holiday's skew the time in our minds.

So that would still be like 5 months away and even then your talking about a $700 phone at launch.

It does undermine paying a ton for a phone these days when you can get 90% of the normal experience for $400. At least with the 830 looming you'd would know you didn't over spend on a 820 device.

It's definitely tricker though than when Nexus phones launches ahead of the curve with phones like the N5.

tfur

It's it possible to buy the 5x or 6p at a brick and mortar?

Wife dropped and shattered her 6. It's a Google Fi device. I would like any Fi functioning device in hand asap for replacement. Suggestions?

Vanillalite

It's it possible to buy the 5x or 6p at a brick and mortar?

Wife dropped and shattered her 6. It's a Google Fi device. I would like any Fi functioning device in hand asap for replacement. Suggestions?

Idk where you are in the world, but I know Best Buy in the US sold them.

YMMV on stock at this juncture though.

Launched an instance of Nougat API 24 inside Android Studio, my app doesn't require any updates to work with the new version, luckily this is the case for me as I'm super busy :)

reKon

Banned
Damn, why haven't you guys recommended ebay to me earlier. I think I'm going to grab a Tab Pro S for $600, free shipping w/ no tax. I usually always go for using Swappa, but buying on Ebay is probably fine if you're buying from a reputable seller.

I'm expecting that after I do this then next month, the Pixel C 2 will be announced or some shit - a 2 in 1 beast of a Chromebook, lol...

Top Bottom