• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

its still wrecking most of anandtech's benchmarks for non gpu stuff lol. Kirin 955 is a beast.

Why not wait for the Honor mate 8? Way cheaper with the same camera sensors (?) and a slightly slower processor.

Its a free upgrade on his plan and he wants something soon dang it!

That or a Galaxy S6 (which seems like a bad idea because from reading that seems like a real off year for Samsung)

I really am not that familure with Huawei all that much outside of the real bottom end stuff they made a few years ago. I know they do high end stuff. Just dont know much about it other then the Nexus 6p.

Jeffrey

Its a free upgrade on his plan and he wants something soon dang it!

That or a Galaxy S6 (which seems like a bad idea because from reading that seems like a real off year for Samsung)

I really am not that familure with Huawei all that much outside of the real bottom end stuff they made a few years ago. I know they do high end stuff. Just dont know much about it other then the Nexus 6p.

I swear someone here has a Mate 8 and likes it. Try searching this thread.

Reviews seem positive enough and if its 'free' and your only choice is between that and the S6...

Do note that EMUI is fairly different from stock android in terms of default launcher and settings/notification ui.

Best to show your friend some youtube videos (Search "EMUI 4.1")

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Got my OTA on 6P, too. Be jelly, non-Nexus owners. While your Note screens may be incredible, today is the day when Nexus owners can bask in glory.

Dobsie

got the ota from dp5, would performing a factory reset have the same effect as wiping and doing a completely fresh install via fastboot?

OmegaFax

Can you boot into recovery? If so, try wiping the cache partition and see if that pulls you out of the bootloop.

If not, you'll probably have to manually flash the factory image.

TWRP works fine on Nougat. At least it does in DP5.

I couldn't get TWRP working for me in DP5. Did you flash a kernel with forced decryption?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Now that the Nexus 7 has hit EoL I'd like to speculate on a successor.

Basically I want a Nexus 9 without the performance issues.

Something that is bigger than the Nexus 7, but slightly smaller than the 10.1" Pixel C with stereo front facing speakers for media.

Asgaro

Got my OTA on 6P, too. Be jelly, non-Nexus owners. While your Note screens may be incredible, today is the day when Nexus owners can bask in glory.

Meh, no big deal...

4YGomtS.gif

wilflare

guess I'll wait for the factory image so I can flash + root on my Nexus 6P

the 810 has been pretty okay for me so far... even on a sunny tropical island

Dobsie

I can't get TugaBrowser to sync my google bookmarks on the 7.0 release, can anyone recommend a browser that does? (that isn't chrome)
Have tried cm's gello mod browser but unfortunately they have not implemented bookmark syncing in that yet.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just a quick idea of why I had to get a new phone. I'll never got a Sony phone again - whatever adhesive is holding the front panel to the phone is pretty much gone.
Man, that's awful. Another big reason why iPhones are great for most people is the Apple stores. You have an insanely obvious manufacturing problem like your picture and they'll take care of it.

Here's hoping to more Google stores.

Wild. You just said you picked it up? Did the phone have any big accidents in its life?

Man, that's awful. Another big reason why iPhones are great for most people is the Apple stores. You have an insanely obvious manufacturing problem like your picture and they'll take care of it.

Here's hoping to more Google stores.

Pretty sure hes showing his old z3 and explaining why he bought the 6p oven.

Wild. You just said you picked it up? Did the phone have any big accidents in its life?

The Z3 was my old phone, prior to my 6P. I baby my electronics the best I can, but the Z3 had other plans. No big drops, never even tried the waterproofing. The worst that happened was a scratch to the metal at the top and losing the top plastic part of one of the flaps.

Pretty sure hes showing his old z3 and explaining why he bought the 6p oven.

Yep. Though, in the end, considering I'm a weirdo who values aesthetics over a lot, I'm pretty happy with my 6P, if only thanks to quick charge being a thing. Without it I'd get something else. It'll make a year while I wait for the 2017 Nexus line.

I can't get TugaBrowser to sync my google bookmarks on the 7.0 release, can anyone recommend a browser that does? (that isn't chrome)
Have tried cm's gello mod browser but unfortunately they have not implemented bookmark syncing in that yet.

I think Dolphin browser will but you have to install the dolphin browser plug in on your desktop chrome browser to sync.

Vanillalite

So in theory the only 32bit device in Google's currently supported catalog is the Nexus 6. Everything else supported ie the Pixel C, Nexus 5X, 6P, and 9 are all 64 bit.

In theory one more release cycle could cycle out the 6.

I'm not totally sure what this could mean, but in theory only having to deal with the 64bit code base could be a boon to development resources.

No Love

Banned
After seeing the reports of issues with the Note 7 decided to try out the Axon 7 again after my nightmare preorder experience with Best Buy. Got a Quartz Gray one. Really impressive phone, looks and feels great, performance is butter smooth, and the audio quality is really noticeable.

For $400 it is pretty phenomenal.

Jeffrey

After seeing the reports of issues with the Note 7 decided to try out the Axon 7 again after my nightmare preorder experience with Best Buy. Got a Quartz Gray one. Really impressive phone, looks and feels great, performance is butter smooth, and the audio quality is really noticeable.

It's in stock?

It's a really sweet phone. I'll trade off some low light camera performance for better audio performance any day of the week. I find the battery life to be phenomenal. I'm getting just under 7 hours on screen time.

Vanillalite

It's in stock?

This!

Where did you get one? Currently seems to be prorder only for wave 2 hitting Sept 9th.

thuway

I'm Jelly. It sucks also that Cyanogen has been slacking off on getting some mainstream phones up to snuff with the latest android builds too :/.

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2016/08/taking-final-wrapper-off-of-nougat.html

Megaton (at least if it means what I think it means)

I've been saying this since we started receiving the dumb useless monthly security patches. They are finally doing something about it. This is a much better way of handling updates then little 3mb updates each month that sometimes even BREAK shit on your phone.

Give us 1 update each quarter or something with all included security updates plus use the time to polish the fuckkkkk out of your OS. Without adding any new major features.

7.0.1 in Dec, 7.0.2 in March, 7.0.3 in June - something like that

less security is better?

Vanillalite

less security is better?

I mean I get their idea that one patch that is throughly tested is less likely to cause issues, but it puts off the fact that you would literally be sitting on fixing OS vulnerabilities.

Not to mention I haven't exactly heard of monthly security updates breaking a ton of shit anyways.

Jeffrey

Nothing about it mentions security updates being 'done' though?

Especially with most phones not even getting on nougat for a ~ year.

What sucks the most about bluetooth headsets for me atm... ive switched most of my cables to type-c.only microusb device i actively use these days is my PS4 controllers and vita and kindle.

Jigolo

less security is better?
Give me a list of people that have been hacked in some way that don't receive these monthly updates.

That is the majority of the Android user base, which is likely to be over 1 billion users that don't receive the security patches. Which means that billions of users are vulnerable. Last year it was stage fright and this year it was that root shit that gave the internet a scare.

Hell, if you can give me one person affected by any of this shit I'd be more than happy to be one of the guys that sits here and complains that I haven't received my update by the middle of the month.

This is important to us because we are also enthusiasts, and we’ve seen reviews ignore, year after year, clear, delimited, replicable and often universal performance issues with Samsung phones, such as the infamous home button delay of the Galaxy Note 3, the always-delayed multi-tasking menu of the Galaxy Note 4, or the terrible memory management of the Galaxy Note 5 (which is still an issue on the Note 7, by the way). It’s important that we recognize that these issues exist so that consumers can make educated choices. We are putting this out there not to shame Samsung, or any particular media outlet, but so that people know that despite 6 years worth of releases, Samsung still has horrendous issues with software.
sour grapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-61FFoJFy0&feature=youtu.be

Impressive that a year-old iPhone blows away a brand-new top-of-the-line Samsung.
can't wait 'till October when the 2017 Nexus will defeat the iPhone 6S in this speedtest and take the crown.

Top Bottom