• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

AHA-Lambda

Honestly? Yes. Their build quality is often subpar and the only Nexus they've made is perhaps the worst Nexus that was ever made.

Leaks so far aren't that promising, with the most glaring problem being that there won't be front facing speakers on either of the HTC Nexus models.

To each their own, of course, but after the HTC Universal (broken sim tray and 2 weeks of use after it came back repaired before the screen broke in my pocket, a common occurrence for that model) and Nexus 9, I never want to own another HTC product.

Brilliant.

In my mind it was either the Note 7 or the new Nexus for my next phone >_>

Jeffrey

Brilliant.

In my mind it was either the Note 7 or the new Nexus for my next phone >_>

I'd recommend looking at the $400 'flagship' phones too.

Oneplus 3 is pretty much the performance android phone of the year. Axon 7 is the best value . Honor 8 is looking promising too.

Don't fall into the trap of limiting your view on Android just to Nexus and Samsung.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Oneplus 3 is pretty much the performance android phone of the year. Axon 7 is the best value . Honor 8 is looking promising too.

Don't fall into the trap of limiting your view on Android just to Nexus and Samsung.

If you can actually get one in stock. LoL

Blackhead

Redarse

Disagree. His switching from an iPhone and not for budget/price reasons. It's his first Android phone so that's all the more reason he should limit his view to Nexus (best software) and/or Samsung ('best' hardware). After he's more familiar with Android then he can look at other Android brands and understand the values and tradeoffs they provide.

Jeffrey

If you can actually get one in stock. LoL

Both should be in stock before the new Nexus is out :p

Disagree. His switching from an iPhone and not for budget/price reasons. It's his first Android phone so that's all the more reason he should limit his view to Nexus (best software) and/or Samsung ('best' hardware). After he's more familiar with Android then he can look at other Android brands and understand the values and tradeoffs they provide.

I'd argue that your first android device, software would be alien no matter if its AOSP or Samsung or huawei, you'll get used to it.

Also Oneplus 3 oxygen OS is mostly stock android, axon 7 is lesser so, but fairly light, default theme is actually closer to ios (no app browser) so might be a better transition device?

In the end first android device should probably be a cheap one to see if you even like it. Maybe something $250ish with a near stock rom like a moto x pure, or nexus 5x?

In the end first android device should probably be a cheap one to see if you even like it. Maybe something $250ish with a near stock rom like a moto x pure, or nexus 5x?

Yes lets recommend phones with shitty processors and battery life when hes coming from an iPhone 6s. Good idea.
Seriously, terrible advice and thats exactly why people run back to apple.

I find it hilarious that not only are buyers being too impatient to wait a month for the new nexus phones we also have recommendations that are too impatient.

Blackhead

Redarse
Both should be in stock before the new Nexus is out :p

I'd argue that your first android device, software would be alien no matter if its AOSP or Samsung or huawei, you'll get used to it.

Also Oneplus 3 oxygen OS is mostly stock android, axon 7 is lesser so, but fairly light, default theme is actually closer to ios (no app browser) so might be a better transition device?

No first android device should be the most expensive you can afford to see if you even like it. Otherwise you can't be sure if what you don't like is Android or some compromise (small RAM, slow camera, bad screen) that a cheap phone uses.

clav

MS Android's apps are pretty good though.

Actual problem is Google doesn't allow a setting to let users to uninstall preinstalled apps. Are they ever going to address this?

Yes lets recommend phones with shitty processors and battery life when hes coming from an iPhone 6s. Good idea.

I find it hilarious that not only are buyers being too impatient to wait a month for the new nexus phones we also have recommendations that are too impatient.

Most people run back to Apple because Apple supports its devices longterm rather than one year / two years when compared to most Android manufacturers.

Advantage Android has is scalability, so it appeals to a lot of markets.

You'd be surprised at a lot of budget phones are getting monthly security updates (at least in Asia).

MS Android's apps are pretty good though.

Actual problem is Google doesn't allow a setting to let users to uninstall preinstalled apps. Are they ever going to address this?

Most people run back to Apple because Apple supports its devices longterm rather than one year / two years when compared to most Android manufacturers.

Advantage Android has is scalability, so it appeals to a lot of markets.

You'd be surprised at a lot of budget phones are getting monthly security updates (at least in Asia).

Google already has the setting to uninstall preinstalled apps. The problem is they arent the last ones to touch the roms and the apps are freezed onto it.

People dont just go back to apple because of support they go back bc of shitty battery, life, camera, performance etc.

Giving an iphone users a cheap ass android phone is not a good idea. All iPhones are premium.

clav

Google already has the setting to uninstall preinstalled apps. The problem is they arent the last ones to touch the roms and the apps are freezed onto it.

People dont just go back to apple because of support they go back bc of shitty battery, life, camera, performance etc.

Giving an iphone users a cheap ass android phone is not a good idea. All iPhones are premium.

Why is that loophole still allowed?

As for what I said earlier, I'm sure that's one of the reasons. You can use price as an advantage for Android. If you're not paying iPhone flagship price, then you need to adjust expectations. Most people make personal buying decisions based on marketing for nearly everything in their lives. Hence in some cases, marketing departments get a bigger budget to work with than product engineering does. Usually the customer doesn't know anything outside of what a beautiful sounding person told them on TV / radio / internet.

Depends on what you define as premium. Would you suggest iPhone 4S over one of those affordable phones today?

Jeffrey

No first android device should be the most expensive you can afford to see if you even like it. Otherwise you can't be sure if what you don't like is Android or some compromise (small RAM, slow camera, bad screen) that a cheap phone uses.

Unless I got lucky, I had no issues with SD808 devices? I went from an iphone 6+ to a moto x pure for a month just fine. Thing ran smooth and looked fine.

You get a hell lot of phone these days for $250.

Do remember even though ive used android for work, i've been on ios for my personal phone since iphone 3G came out.

Sold the 6+ and picked up a moto x pure, enjoyed that enough to preorder an axon 7 when that was announced.

You don't need to get the latest flagship phones to get a smooth android experience.

Asgaro

Fuck, no Nougat for Xperia Z3 series: http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2016/08/23/sony-xperia-and-android-7-0-nougat/

Well, still not gonna buy a new device for at least 2 years. Means I will resort to learning how to root (was planning to) and get a custom ROM.
Or stay on the light Sony Concept ROM, even if they pull the plug eventually on updates.

The Z3C's performance is still too damn good, combined with its excellent battery life, small sub 5" form factor and microSD support. No other device on the market has all these 4 key points.
(I mean, suggestions are welcome. I haven't found a replacement.)

yyzjohn

Banned
Fuck, no Nougat for Xperia Z3 series: http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2016/08/23/sony-xperia-and-android-7-0-nougat/

Well, still not gonna buy a new device for at least 2 years. Means I will resort to learning how to root (was planning to) and get a custom ROM.
Or stay on the light Sony Concept ROM, even if they pull the plug eventually on updates.

The Z3C's performance is still too damn good, combined with its excellent battery life, small sub 5" form factor and microSD support. No other device on the market has all these 4 key points.

That's strange, I thought they already had a Nougat beta working on the Z3?

Edit: yeah I read about it: http://neurogadget.net/2016/08/18/a...w-available-selected-sony-xperia-models/37728

Asgaro

That's strange, I thought they already had a Nougat beta working on the Z3?

Edit: yeah I read about it: http://neurogadget.net/2016/08/18/a...w-available-selected-sony-xperia-models/37728

Indeed.

Dev response on the Sony Concept ROM community:

Yeah, this is sad but we dont want to play the blame game which means that we cant say more about the technical limitations. Even if we really wanted to give you N on the z3(c), we wouldn't been able to do it.
Not if we wanted to pass the Google CTS.
https://plus.google.com/+ZingoAndersen/posts/JfUNdx5iQhF

Thanks Obama.

Mindwipe

Hope IFA brings something next week.

Mindwipe

Why is that loophole still allowed?

How would you fix it?

You've only got two methods, technically or legally through business contracts.

Technically there's fuck all you can do - the OEM has the device signing keys and freedom under AOSP to rewrite the kernel (and they are rewriting the kernel). You can't stop them writing out anything you put in.

Legally through business contracts you could demand compliance as part of the CTS and Google Play licensing agreement for Google Play Services. But given the situation in Europe and Russia with Google getting raked over hot coals over those agreements for anti-competitive arrangements, the chance of Google risking inserting controversial new requirements into those agreements is precisely nil.

I still think there's more that Google could do here to make it easier for OEMs to adopt, but they'd have to accept making a lot of their own apps similarly removable.

Asgaro

Hope IFA brings something next week.

Oh man, if they would bring a Compact...

There actually were benchmarks leaked of a sub 5" beast with Snapdragon 820/821 but it hasn't been linked to a manufacturer yet. OnePlus's CEO already shot the rumours down it's theirs.

I have actually already come at ease with the fact my next device would be 5". If the bezels are small enough, it should still be doable.
Within the 5" category you have lots of choice. It's crazy how even going only 1 inch less, to 4.9", makes your choice instantly very limited.

However, if there is a sub 5" beast between now and 2 years, I will probably jump on it if there are not too much compromises.

Vanillalite

Ugh I don't want to wait till Nov for a new phone, but I have to wait either way if I wanted a OP3 or Axon 7.

Fuck me

FFP2

How many apps do you guys have installed? I have around 200. Last phone had less than 8GB internal storage so I went a little crazy.

I really like that Samsung still lets you move apps to the SD card. Freed up around 1.2GB just moving games over.

Is Nougat easily rootable? I heard Google were doing something with the bootloader that makes it difficult to root.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
So I updated my 6P to 7.0 and its what I expected (I had a N6 in the preview) but I went to check my H Watch and got a notification on my watch that it was a system update. I installed the update and it went through the whole update, but nothing changed. I'm still on Wear 1.5 and Android 6.1.

Dobsie

Anyone having battery or charging issue since 7.0 ?

I've noticed my work charger (usb3 to type c) was charging pretty slowly today, its usually only a little bit slower than the stock type c to type c one that came with the phone. I think the stock one is still just as fast, weird as I was on dp5 until yesterday and it charged fine with my work charger.

Vanillalite

October 5th is the Verizon release date. No unlocked release dates have been rumored.

OK.

I remember seeing the Verizon looking to sell Nexus phones in Oct, but I didn't remember the date. Thought it might have been unveil on the 5th with Verizon selling sometime that month.

Nakazato

I've noticed my work charger (usb3 to type c) was charging pretty slowly today, its usually only a little bit slower than the stock type c to type c one that came with the phone. I think the stock one is still just as fast, weird as I was on dp5 until yesterday and it charged fine with my work charger.
Fuck it just going to back up and restore

Any good apps for that ? Downloaded Gcloud

clav

How would you fix it?

You've only got two methods, technically or legally through business contracts.

Technically there's fuck all you can do - the OEM has the device signing keys and freedom under AOSP to rewrite the kernel (and they are rewriting the kernel). You can't stop them writing out anything you put in.

Legally through business contracts you could demand compliance as part of the CTS and Google Play licensing agreement for Google Play Services. But given the situation in Europe and Russia with Google getting raked over hot coals over those agreements for anti-competitive arrangements, the chance of Google risking inserting controversial new requirements into those agreements is precisely nil.

I still think there's more that Google could do here to make it easier for OEMs to adopt, but they'd have to accept making a lot of their own apps similarly removable.
100% agree. I wish the setup screen was more like a vanilla Linux box and you get to pick what is installed / activated on the phone rather than have a bunch of preinstalled bloatware.

Guess we have a long way to go before that ever becomes reality.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Allo pls

I wonder what's next for Oreo. I can't think of huge features, other than continual tweaking of wakelocks and reducing overhead of processes. Maybe Assistant everywhere? 3D touch is the only foreseeable feature want for me. What else? We got multi-window finally.

Toki767

Allo pls

I wonder what's next for Oreo. I can't think of huge features, other than continual tweaking of wakelocks and reducing overhead of processes. Maybe Assistant everywhere? 3D touch is the only foreseeable feature want for me. What else? We got multi-window finally.

I bet O will be one of those things where they change the look of things for no real reason.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I bet O will be one of those things where they change the look of things for no real reason.
No chance. Holo was always meh. But material has a lot of beauty. It's mainstream, too, unlike the nerd Holo.

I'd like to see them add theme support to stock Android and offer more customization with the on-screen buttons. I remember reading they partially implemented themes with Marshmallow, but it was never fully implemented and still is not with Nougat. Button wise I would like to be able to swap positions and maybe add additional buttons like one that pulls down the notification screen or a menu button. Also, I would like a system-wide dark mode option.

Top Bottom