• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

dont think any 820 phone has 'beaten' iphone in these speed tests mostly because of slow loading in those 3d games.

not sure if a 10% clocked up 821 will address that... unless the secret is nougat?

How does nougat run on 2015 nexus for you folks that upgraded?

sour grapes.

can't wait 'till October when the 2017 Nexus will defeat the iPhone 6S in this speedtest and take the crown.

Single core performance and flash is better on iPhone than any android but seriously... How are you forgetting the resolution difference?

Someone release a 720p snapdragon 820 Android phone and give us a real fair comparison.

Jeffrey

Single core performance and flash is better on iPhone than any android but seriously... How are you forgetting the resolution difference?

Someone release a 720p snapdragon 820 Android phone and give us a real fair comparison.

can't you just ADB your phone into 720p?

Give me a list of people that have been hacked in some way that don't receive these monthly updates.

That is the majority of the Android user base, which is likely to be over 1 billion users that don't receive the security patches. Which means that billions of users are vulnerable. Last year it was stage fright and this year it was that root shit that gave the internet a scare.

Hell, if you can give me one person affected by any of this shit I'd be more than happy to be one of the guys that sits here and complains that I haven't received my update by the middle of the month.

so that's a yes?

torontoml

So just picked up a new note 7 and am using Nova Launcher. Downloaded a 1920x1080 wallpaper, how do I get it to scroll? The scrolling option is turned on in Nova Launcher?

Asgaro

Just a quick idea of why I had to get a new phone. I'll never got a Sony phone again - whatever adhesive is holding the front panel to the phone is pretty much gone.

I've heard this before. With the Z3C it would start happening in the top-left corner since that's where the charge port is, so more heat.

Just wondering: have you been playing a lot of Pokemon Go?

I haven't gotten into the game yet (Exams coming up...) but I'm a bit afraid of the heat it will produce. It could perhaps accelerate this process...

What's a good browser that doesn't suck the battery immediately dry *and* takes 2 or less taps to access the bookmarks? Javelin isn't available anymore and it started to act up as well, so there's no point in downloading the apk. The Samsung browser seems pretty good, but it drains way too much battery for my liking.

It's weird that Google won't let me install their apps on the S7. No dailer, no contacts app, but the clock fucking works. Great. You'd think it would be in their interest. Or is it Samsung preventing me from installing the apps from the play store?

i dreamt i was doing split screen on my n7

RIP

I was still hoping for a stealth release for the Nexus 5, but Google doesn't care.

Blitzhex

Hitman Go crashing for anyone else on N?
Love the multi tasking in N so far. Flashed August MM image then signed for N beta for the OTA. Running super fast and super smooth on the 6p.

I've heard this before. With the Z3C it would start happening in the top-left corner since that's where the charge port is, so more heat.

Just wondering: have you been playing a lot of Pokemon Go?

I haven't gotten into the game yet (Exams coming up...) but I'm a bit afraid of the heat it will produce. It could perhaps accelerate this process...

Yeah, I played quite a bit of Pokemon GO shortly before this happened.

Noema

Hitman Go crashing for anyone else on N?
Love the multi tasking in N so far. Flashed August MM image then signed for N beta for the OTA. Running super fast and super smooth on the 6p.

Yeah, crashes as soon as I try to launch the game. It doesn't even get to the splash screen.

AHA-Lambda

OK, I've made a thread on this kinda before but don't want to make another one, so I figure here is the best place to ask.

I'm in the market for a new Android phone (coming from iPhone 6+, I don't want another iOS device) and I was pretty much all set on the Note 7 until the performance reports came out yesterday.

Thing is I just feel confused now, who do I believe??

Pretty much all reviewers have praised it, finding no issues
Then I see the speedtest and the XDA blog though
And from going through here and other forums I just get very mixed messages on its performance, and touchwiz in general

Can anyone help clear this up for me?
Is the Note 7 a good buy or not?
Is Touchwiz really that bad?
Should I just go for the new Nexus?

FWIW, I've had one experience with Android before (Xperia Z1) and I felt that thing experienced a lot of issues after about 6 months.
Also I live in the UK so the Note 7 here should be the Exynos version.

OK, I've made a thread on this kinda before but don't want to make another one, so I figure here is the best place to ask.

I'm in the market for a new Android phone (coming from iPhone 6+, I don't want another iOS device) and I was pretty much all set on the Note 7 until the performance reports came out yesterday.

And from going through here and other forums I just get very mixed messages on its performance, and touchwiz in general

FWIW, I've had one experience with Android before (Xperia Z1) and I felt that thing experienced a lot of issues after about 6 months.

note 7 is perfectly fine and amazing phone. you are looking at internet which is full of misleading information. On internet everything gotta be the best ever or it is garbage.

There are so many good features that set NOTE 7 apart it is crazy. I do not think I would have any problem recommending note 7. Only thing I would say is that unless you really want the pen functionality look at the galaxy 7 edge. It will serve the same purpose.

You want a true Android phone that is clean and updated you go with the Nexus straight from Google. New phones come out in a month.

It's completely unknown whenever Samsung devices will get the latest OS or security updates. Sometimes it's a few months and other times it's up to 9 months late. Note 7 is also way overpriced and yes the reports about all the apps and performance are real. Some people care and some people don't.

Either way you want the best support you go Nexus but it comes down to what you want.

Ein Bear

MediaServer is absolutely destroying the battery on my S7 Edge. Did a Google and it looks like it was a known Android issue a few years back, but I can't find anything recent on it. Anyone know a good way of fixing the problem?

Jeffrey

go nexus if you want 'stock experience' and probably the least likely to have 'issues', but HTC is making it this year so... might wait for reviews first.

Chinner

Banned
MediaServer is absolutely destroying the battery on my S7 Edge. Did a Google and it looks like it was a known Android issue a few years back, but I can't find anything recent on it. Anyone know a good way of fixing the problem?
Go onto your applications and then sort by all applications.

There should be an app for mediaserver and also media storage (or something like). Clear the cache and data and force quit both. Restart if you fancy.

This will fix it otherwise if you have a sd card it may relate to that.

There should be an app for mediaserver and also media storage (or something like). Clear the cache and data and force quit both. Restart if you fancy.

I've just posted over in the S7 thread on this - I had the Mediaserver battery issue and on my phone I'm pretty certain that it was Chrome causing it, for unknown reasons.

I did masses of Googling and a few people mentioned Chrome. I disabled Chrome in my applications menu (uninstall if you can) and started using the Samsung browser - the issue was gone.

RuGalz

dont think any 820 phone has 'beaten' iphone in these speed tests mostly because of slow loading in those 3d games.

Android will probably never win in these lap tests no matter how powerful the hardware is (unless it's like 4x with way faster storage then maybe). The inherit inefficiency of the way Android operating system works and less than optimal data format exacerbates the issue.

Moreche

Chinner

Banned
I've just posted over in the S7 thread on this - I had the Mediaserver battery issue and on my phone I'm pretty certain that it was Chrome causing it, for unknown reasons.

I did masses of Googling and a few people mentioned Chrome. I disabled Chrome in my applications menu (uninstall if you can) and started using the Samsung browser - the issue was gone.
Were you using Chrome beta? Same thing happened to me when I was. I swapped back to chrome when it happened. I'm back on the beta and it's fine.

You want a true Android phone that is clean and updated you go with the Nexus straight from Google. New phones come out in a month.

It's completely unknown whenever Samsung devices will get the latest OS or security updates. Sometimes it's a few months and other times it's up to 9 months late. Note 7 is also way overpriced and yes the reports about all the apps and performance are real. Some people care and some people don't.

Either way you want the best support you go Nexus but it comes down to what you want.

Note and S get monthly security updates and 2 years of OS updates. well, except for Verizon and AT&T, who seem to not like security.

Were you using Chrome beta? Same thing happened to me when I was. I swapped back to chrome when it happened. I'm back on the beta and it's fine.

No, just regular Chrome. I do really like Chrome so it's shit that I can't use it anymore.
Very surprised that a bug that bad could get through.

Android TV not Android. With Nougat Android TV got PiP as well as some other big features like built in DVR.

I meant on phones. I started watching a YouTube video and had the option to pop it out. I did that and it even worked outside the browser. Or could it be a TouchWiz thing?

Thank you, I'll check it out.

Jeffrey

Android will probably never win in these lap tests no matter how powerful the hardware is (unless it's like 4x with way faster storage then maybe). The inherit inefficiency of the way Android operating system works and less than optimal data format exacerbates the issue.

yep. At the very least the core system stuff is snappy enough (phone, messenging, web browsing youtube etc).

Also with splitscreen and android back button, I feel like you can get stuff done quicker on android than ios, but ios been improving on that aspect too.

I can't imagine iOS not getting splitscreen on their 'plus' phones in the near future. Shouldn't be too hard for developers to adapt especially if they've put in the work for splitscreen scalability for iPad.

Aiii

So not worth it
Are HTC bad? =/

Honestly? Yes. Their build quality is often subpar and the only Nexus they've made is perhaps the worst Nexus that was ever made.

Leaks so far aren't that promising, with the most glaring problem being that there won't be front facing speakers on either of the HTC Nexus models.

To each their own, of course, but after the HTC Universal (broken sim tray and 2 weeks of use after it came back repaired before the screen broke in my pocket, a common occurrence for that model) and Nexus 9, I never want to own another HTC product.

Google is not going to code specific touchwiz features into youtube. Its been a youtube app feature for over a year now. Maybe two. Its not actually OS level PiP code.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/aug/21/business/la-fi-tn-youtube-picture-in-picture-20130821

I didn't mention any youtube app. I watched the video from a thumbnail on GAF, maximized it and had the option to pop it out. It worked, stayed afloat while I kept browsing GAF and continued playing after leaving the browser and switching to another app. That option didn't exist on my Nexus 5.

Ein Bear

Thanks for this. Couldn't find anything on my applications, but I've formatted my SD Card and it seems to have done the trick.

Top Bottom