• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

tmac456

Axon 7 super limited availability wise or what? Tempted to get a new phone and that's really the only one that is on my radar.

maybe i'll just be patient for the new nexus reveal, which should be in September i assume?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Axon 7 super limited availability wise or what? Tempted to get a new phone and that's really the only one that is on my radar.

maybe i'll just be patient for the new nexus reveal, which should be in September i assume?

It's sold out till early Sept when wave 2 ships.

Ditto with the OP3.

Both $400 flagship killers were too popular, and demand has outstripped supply.

That being said if you want an Axon 7 you can preorder wave 2 all over the place.

It's a great phone. I would preorder and wait for it. It is worth it.

Vanillalite

It is worth noting the Axon 7 on Newegg has free Monster headphones as a preorder bonus.

Yea yeah Monster sucks and is over priced, but hey the headphones are free!

It is worth noting the Axon 7 on Newegg has free Monster headphones as a preorder bonus.

Yea yeah Monster sucks and is over priced, but hey the headphones are free!
But the headphones are trash.
I use an app called backdrops that has beautiful minimalist wallpapers. Check it out. It has a good selection of the abstracts, shapes, nature, contemporary stuff, etc thats around what you might be looking for.
Yeah, I just downloaded it and there are really good wallpapers. Do you have the pro version?

My phone's been performing like garbage (Note 5). I had issues last Saturday with crazy hitching/hanging/freezing/rebooting, but now my phone runs EXTREMELY hot any time it's unlocked and battery tanks like crazy.

GSAM Battery thing says the biggest power drain is the mediaserver thing. I've been reading up on it and apparently it can show up on any Android phone and can be due to a media file that is corrupted? Am I reading this right, a single corrupted media file can cripple an entire phone's operating system?

Has anyone had this same issue here, and if so what did you do?

VoxPop

So I'm in japan right now and I can't log into any of my Gapps (Gmail, hangouts, playstore) since I can't confirm my account via SMS. Is there any way around this?

Vanillalite

So I'm in japan right now and I can't log into any of my Gapps (Gmail, hangouts, playstore) since I can't confirm my account via SMS. Is there any way around this?

You are already fucked.

Do you have a backup account?

You could always get the sms sent to the backup person who's back in your home country and have them just send the code to you by borrowing a phone or using a public computer.

Noema

My phone's been performing like garbage (Note 5). I had issues last Saturday with crazy hitching/hanging/freezing/rebooting, but now my phone runs EXTREMELY hot any time it's unlocked and battery tanks like crazy.

GSAM Battery thing says the biggest power drain is the mediaserver thing. I've been reading up on it and apparently it can show up on any Android phone and can be due to a media file that is corrupted? Am I reading this right, a single corrupted media file can cripple an entire phone's operating system?

Has anyone had this same issue here, and if so what did you do?

Ah, mediaserver. I remember after I'd just switched to android as a life long ios user, I went to a trip with some relatives and suddenly 40% of my battery had been drained and the phone was extremely hot. It was mediaserver. Thet was on 4.3. It made for a less than stellar first impression.

The fact that this is still an issue on 6.0 is just baffling to me. Supposedly they are breaking up mediaserver from a monolithic process into a bunch of discrete processes in Nougat. I hope that can made a difference.

Anyway, like you mentioned, usually the problem is a corrupted media file. Mediaserver (among other things) generates thumbnails from photos or videos. Sometimes if a file is corrupted or unreadable or too large mediaserver will just try to generate the thumbnail for it over and over again. I've noticed that if I keep too many GIFs on my phone that tends to make it worse, though it might just be a coincidence.

You best bet is deleting all media (photos and video) on your phone to try and catch the culprit. Luckily nowadays Google photos makes it much easier.

wilflare

just tried using "Ok Google" recently on my Nexus 6P
there was a new pop-up screen that asked me to enable Voice Search or something like that but I dismissed the screen before I could really read it.

was there a new update for Voice Search/Activity or something?

Jeffrey

Seems like google will be talking about daydream headsets in a few weeks.

We know that ZTE mentioned they won't be releasing their own headset in the US, but instead its going to work with w/e google's thing I believe. Can't find any info about daydream from other makers than w/e was announced back in I/O.

Vanillalite

Where is Allo

160824_1008230yjob.png

Ah, mediaserver. I remember after I'd just switched to android as a life long ios user, I went to a trip with some relatives and suddenly 40% of my battery had been drained and the phone was extremely hot. It was mediaserver. Thet was on 4.3. It made for a less than stellar first impression.

The fact that this is still an issue on 6.0 is just baffling to me. Supposedly they are breaking up mediaserver from a monolithic process into a bunch of discrete processes in Nougat. I hope that can made a difference.

Anyway, like you mentioned, usually the problem is a corrupted media file. Mediaserver (among other things) generates thumbnails from photos or videos. Sometimes if a file is corrupted or unreadable or too large mediaserver will just try to generate the thumbnail for it over and over again. I've noticed that if I keep too many GIFs on my phone that tends to make it worse, though it might just be a coincidence.

You best bet is deleting all media (photos and video) on your phone to try and catch the culprit. Luckily nowadays Google photos makes it much easier.

Thanks a bunch!

Yeah it's baffling why this is still a problem these many years later. I'll be backing up and deleting all my media. Should've done that a long time ago anyway.

So David Ruddock (AP) is saying the Nexus phones will launch late September/Early October same as last year. Also, he thinks LG is deceptive for saying the V20 will be the first phone launching with Android N because he doesn't think it will hit the US until after the Nexus phones.

So David Ruddock (AP) is saying the Nexus phones will launch late September/Early October same as last year. Also, he thinks LG is deceptive for saying the V20 will be the first phone launching with Android N because he doesn't think it will hit the US until after the Nexus phones.

Link?

Chinner

Banned
Any good browser recommendations? I really like the look and feel of Chrome Beta, but I suspect it's an indirect battery hog.

Top Bottom