• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

AHA-Lambda

Decided to just extend my sim only plan by another year, instead of jumping for a new handset; gives me flexibility to just buy another handset when I want/need though.

I just didn't feel confident purchasing a Note 7 right now after the performance claims =/

Jeffrey

Pretty slick looking launcher from Microsoft

http://www.androidcentral.com/micros...nishingly-good

arrow-launcher-install.jpg

arrow-launcher-customization.jpg

was gonna say that Arrow's been around for a while, but this new update seems nice.

So microsoft has a launcher, lock screen, cortana, office suite...

If they ever do a Surface Phone, it seems possible to be android?

longdi

Banned
S7 Edge, but in Europe... So nope?

Samsung browser brah!

faster and more efficient than chrome, and works with adblock+ and have a fingerprint security mode. What more can you ask for? Oh yea, full screen browsing by hiding the status bar.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So David Ruddock (AP) is saying the Nexus phones will launch late September/Early October same as last year. Also, he thinks LG is deceptive for saying the V20 will be the first phone launching with Android N because he doesn't think it will hit the US until after the Nexus phones.

If they are gonna launch in Sept then invites literally have to be going out this week. You'd need a two week preferably three week lead time for press. Then if they phones launch a week or two after that's basically last week of Sept at best.

Blackhead

Redarse
If they are gonna launch in Sept then invites literally have to be going out this week. You'd need a two week preferably three week lead time for press. Then if they phones launch a week or two after that's basically last week of Sept at best.

google doesn't care about those rules for maximum press exposure lol. The phones could launch next with an exclusive interview on TheVerge for all who care

iavi

was gonna say that Arrow's been around for a while, but this new update seems nice.

So microsoft has a launcher, lock screen, cortana, office suite...

If they ever do a Surface Phone, it seems possible to be android?

I honestly hope so, MS makes some of the best android apps. Ironically enough.

Arrow is probably one of the slickest launchers I've seen yet

Jeffrey

I honestly hope so, MS makes some of the best android apps. Ironically enough.

Arrow is probably one of the slickest launchers I've seen yet

i'm still not a fan of how i have to scroll through like 5 pages to do stuff, unless im looking at this wrong.

Also getting stutter opening the app drawer.

Chinner

Banned
Samsung browser brah!

faster and more efficient than chrome, and works with adblock+ and have a fingerprint security mode. What more can you ask for? Oh yea, full screen browsing by hiding the status bar.
Oh. It's actually decent? Well shit.

Jeffrey

samsung browser is great.

Wonder if Chrome will ever be snappy. That was like the original reason people moved to it from IE back in the day right? Now its a sluggish laptop battery killer.

His Twitter feed. It's spread across multiple tweets.

Also, I'm excited for Allo, but...

WHERE THE FUCK IS HOME?

Home will probably launch around Nexus time or later.

Someone needs to get the Allo release date out of David. AP is using the app so wouldnt be surprised if they know when its dropping.

Saiyan-Rox

So OnePlus just brought out a new community build that changes the UI (makes it like Nougat), adds new ringtones and notification sounds and a butt load of other changes

Makes me wonder how long they've been building this and still they put out bug fixes for the other builds first.

I'm using it atm and while some things have changed for the better some things haven't like they got rid of the dark mode for a new one that's not black and just uses grey with a pale blue icons...it's horrible.

My phone's been performing like garbage (Note 5). I had issues last Saturday with crazy hitching/hanging/freezing/rebooting, but now my phone runs EXTREMELY hot any time it's unlocked and battery tanks like crazy.

GSAM Battery thing says the biggest power drain is the mediaserver thing. I've been reading up on it and apparently it can show up on any Android phone and can be due to a media file that is corrupted? Am I reading this right, a single corrupted media file can cripple an entire phone's operating system?

Has anyone had this same issue here, and if so what did you do?

I've got the same issue on my Note 5, and others have reported the same on their S7/S7E. I'm pretty sure it's a bug in the August security update patch, as it only started happening to me soon after updating.

I've cleared phone of all my media and it still happens, seems to kick in after switching from mobile to wifi (or vice versa). Hoping the Sept update fixes it... :/

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nooooo at no Allo yet. I thought today would be the day smh

I hope the new Nexus is released without a keynote. Those are my favorite launches. Just send it to the press and lift the embargo in two weeks.

Nooooo at no Allo yet. I thought today would be the day smh

I hope the new Nexus is released without a keynote. Those are my favorite launches. Just send it to the press and lift the embargo in two weeks.

I can see this happening. No need for a big conference. Just get the damn thing out there

Quasar

I can see this happening. No need for a big conference. Just get the damn thing out there

Well I always thought allo would get an event simply because of how allo, home and android assistant are all toed together.

And for the nexi I could see it just to launch daydream.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm super sad. I really thought Allo would be out today. Guess not.

Bboy AJ

At this point I'm giving up until the phones come. I don't see anything pointing to sooner.
You're probably right, since Assistant is key to Allo. But I figured since Nougat came out, we should be good for Allo :(

Battery life with Nougat on 5x has been crap and around 2 hours SOT.

Battery life with Nougat on my Pixel C is better than ever. Looking at 11 - 12 hours of SOT on this charge cycle.

I blame the 808.

Fuzyfrog

Battery life has been fine on my 5x so far. Was charged when I installed N and then got 17 hours before it hit 10% and that was with a good amount of screen on time

Jeffrey

feel like devs won't bother with Daydream until more info is announced.

Android authority did a quick comparison between axon7 vs honor 8, no full review up yet, but the battery life of the honor 8 seems pretty disappointing at least from this guy's test.

3hr 30min - 3 hr 45 min Onscreen time.

Jesus. The guy was getting mid 5 hr battery life with the axon 7 which is similar to me.

5.2" inch 1080p with 3000mah battery getting that low on screen time is worrisome.

Seems like the phone's camera is pretty great though. Possibly the best in the $400 range.

Bboy AJ

Is there something special about Daydream or is it just a more accessible VR solution? I own a Vive so I haven't really paid it any attention.

Series of tweets:

>In an interesting turn of events, I'm fairly sure LG V20 will NOT be the first phone in the US to ship with Nougat. It's misleading.

>LG V20 may be the first phone *in the world* to ship with Nougat. But Nexuses will almost definitely be first widely available.

>It looks more like "first in the box with Nougat" = V20 will be the first ANNOUNCED with Nougat out of the box. Kind of a cop out, LG.

>In addition, rumors of the new Nexuses launching on Verizon in very early October seem increasingly reliable.

>So, put all of that together. Nexus 2016 = late Sept/early Oct launch LG V20 won't ship till after that in US.

>It makes me wonder why Google ever agreed to allow LG to call V20 the first Nougat out of the box phone.

>This. LG ships phones in Korea much sooner than US. Will likely allow them to claim Nougat first by technicality.
>@RDR0b11 Is it possible it will ship first, just not in the US? Maybe in Korea?

https://twitter.com/RDR0b11

Jeffrey

Is there something special about Daydream or is it just a more accessible VR solution? I own a Vive so I haven't really paid it any attention.

Has specific API for it from google and stricter specs requirement which atm seems to be AMOLED display, certain sensors, and snapdragon 820 or faster?

I assume more will be talked about around nexus launch.

Nexus 6P, 5X, Sailfish, Axon 7, Honor 8, Galaxy 7, Note 7, HTC 10, OP3

All these fucking options, no money to get SHIT. Like What the fuck..

Don't even know to grab a quick 150 joint or just save 3-4 for better.

Bboy AJ

Has specific API for it from google and stricter specs requirement which atm seems to be AMOLED display, certain sensors, and snapdragon 820 or faster?

I assume more will be talked about around nexus launch.
Too bad that Google VR headset never came about. Probably a good thing, though, instead of their usual practice of a half hearted launch at $1500.

Jzero

Battery life with Nougat on 5x has been crap and around 2 hours SOT.

Battery life with Nougat on my Pixel C is better than ever. Looking at 11 - 12 hours of SOT on this charge cycle.

I blame the 808.

My 6P battery has been even shittier than ever. What the fuck happened? I was getting superb battery life in the first three N betas

Nevermind i think Tinder is just draining my battery.

Top Bottom