• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Groof

slapped on a tempered glass protector to prevent more cracks and i am now a believer. lesson learned etc next phone will get one of these immediately

After upgrading to nougat my calendar widgets on home screen do not update at all. Using business calendar 2.

And if I add the default Google calendar widget it just shows blank.

slapped on a tempered glass protector to prevent more cracks and i am now a believer. lesson learned etc next phone will get one of these immediately

I wish I was able to find a good one for my S7, but they're all total garbage. They either don't cover the entire screen because of the rounded corners of the glass or have only adhesive on the top and bottom, but not the glass itself, making it easy to peel off again or get dirty beneath the glass. Fucking hell.

jNw7SB5.jpg

Just look at this shit!

very stupid question.

Im in Australia,

I have a xperia z3, and my partner has a z3 compact.

I got the android 6.0 upgrade a month or so ago, but she still hasn't received it.

Is it possible for her to download it online from a site such as
i.e: http://support.sonymobile.com/au/xperiaz3/software/

If you bought the phone from a network provider then it usually depends on your mobile network. They receive the update from Sony then they vet it and test it on their network and add loads of useless crap and their own apps to it before releasing it to you.

Some are faster than others, but they'll usually concentrate on getting it done for current/flagship phones first then update the older ones (like the Z3) a long time down the line - if at all.

If you just bought the phone unlocked from a shop then it should have a standard regional version of the firmware on it, which comes direct from the manufacturer, which you'll get as soon as they release - but I guess if that were the case you'd already have the update by now (if it's available).

Mindwipe

very stupid question.

Im in Australia,

I have a xperia z3, and my partner has a z3 compact.

I got the android 6.0 upgrade a month or so ago, but she still hasn't received it.

Is it possible for her to download it online from a site such as
i.e: http://support.sonymobile.com/au/xperiaz3/software/

That's not the upgrade, it's the PC client for doing things like backup.

However, if you install that and plug her phone into the computer via USB it should offer to download an update if one is available. But it needs to have been approved by her carrier still, and the completely unbranded generic one isn't available.

You can download the FTF file from Xpericheck, but I'd try this method first, installing the FTF is non-trivial.

Saiyan-Rox

Had an OP3 in my cart, but I couldn't pull the trigger.

Google save me!

Just watch out cause the wifi can be total trash that's tbh the only niggle I have.

Of course they're now pulling away from stock swell now with the new community build its a mixture of stock and hydrogen OS

Bishop89

If you bought the phone from a network provider then it usually depends on your mobile network. They receive the update from Sony then they vet it and test it on their network and add loads of useless crap and their own apps to it before releasing it to you.

Some are faster than others, but they'll usually concentrate on getting it done for current/flagship phones first then update the older ones (like the Z3) a long time down the line - if at all.

If you just bought the phone unlocked from a shop then it should have a standard regional version of the firmware on it, which comes direct from the manufacturer, which you'll get as soon as they release - but I guess if that were the case you'd already have the update by now (if it's available).
Thanks for the explanation.

I find it ridiculous there are seperate firmwares depending if you're with a carrier or not. It should just be a standard regional one across the board -.-

Ah well, I already have my update, sucks for her :p

Thanks

Thanks for the explanation.

I find it ridiculous there are seperate firmwares depending if you're with a carrier or not. It should just be a standard regional one across the board -.-

Ah well, I already have my update, sucks for her :p

Thanks

It's annoying. You'd think there'd just be one version for each hardware variant. Like the S7 - just an Exynos version and a Snapdragon version and that's that.

I can't see that there's a technical reason they can't do this? Other than keeping the size down?

It's especially annoying here when buying unlocked and unbranded phones. Sometimes you get a specific UK version and also a Europe version that is available in, and includes the UK - So when you buy certain phones in the UK it seems to be pot luck whether you get the specific UK version or the Europe wide version - there is no difference as far as I know...

Except you randomly have to wait ages to get updates when your mate down the road who randomly got other version gets them straight away.

Also - now I can afford it I buy my phones unlocked and unbranded and I get a 'SIM only' plan from my network. When I had the S6, my carrier (Three - three.co.uk) introduced VoLTE. I knew my phone supported it and knew I was in an area where I should be getting it, but wasn't getting it. Turns out that they'd restricted it so that it only worked on phones bought through them with their version of the firmware on it. They've since released it to any phone on their network that supports it (*kind of) but it took them months and months.

This is one thing (the only thing?) Apple have got right - their centralised all-at-once direct firmware updating.

* http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/network/4G-Supervoice - look at the disclaimer at the bottom, ridiculous. Although my phone isn't from them and it now works on my S7.

So most of my widgets don't work, nougat on 6p. Like adding the WhatsApp widget doesn't load any conversations in it. Calendar widget is just blank.

Any ideas? I already reset the phone after updating it to 7.0

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So most of my widgets don't work, nougat on 6p. Like adding the WhatsApp widget doesn't load any conversations in it. Calendar widget is just blank.

Any ideas? I already reset the phone after updating it to 7.0
My widgets aren't blank but Fenix isn't updating.

Blitzhex

Really enjoying the 'small' dpi setting in N on the 6p.
Miss the huge icons on launcher thoug with this setting. They get smaller but you don't get an extra column or row of icons.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Waiting for the Nexus.

Wonder if Google will sell a day dream bundle. Getting a phone + headset + touch controller would be pimp.

Noema

Really enjoying the 'small' dpi setting in N on the 6p.
Miss the huge icons on launcher thoug with this setting. They get smaller but you don't get an extra column or row of icons.

Yeah the on the fly DPI settings are definitely one of my favorite things about nougat. So much information density on my 6. It's like a tablet.

If you don't mind using a third party launcher, Nova can give you as many rows or columns as you like and you can also scale the icons independently of the system wide DPI. Very handy.

Furyous

Get rid of the bottom bezel and we have something unique.

What I want in this device:

IR blaster
Wireless charging
S820
4 gigs of ram
Daydream support
1080p display

-

If 5.2 inches is now the default 1440 resolution then 4.7 inches should be worthy of 1080p. I have money saved up from foregoing a G5 purchase to spend on this device...

Mindwipe

Lol compact with those bezels?!

Only the bottom one is bigger than the god tier Z3C.

But the bottom one is the most important because it's the one that makes it hardest to type :-(

At least it exists. It's virtually guaranteed to be my new phone by default given the lack of competition in the market.

Just be good, please?

Vanillalite

So let's Nexus speculate

What would be a good starting price for you for both Nexus

S=Smaller L=Larger

S $350 - 16 gigs
L $450 - 16 gigs

And what do you think they will start at

S $450 - 16 gigs
L $600 - 32 gigs

Think we will get boned on storage either way, but I can see why at least on the smaller model they might start at 16 gigs still to get it as the lowest entry price.

I got this feeling that with both devices being relatively the same and having 821 chips they are gonna be more expensive than last year. Especially the smaller model.

I don't think we are gonna get Axon 7 like pricing and storage here sadly.

Vanillalite

Three different Google products on that list.

#thatssogoogle

To be fair Google Daydream isn't officially out yet other than initial development.

I readily assume cardboard will go by the wayside for Daydream once it drops.

Cardboard will just become a cheap vessle for Daydream enabled phones.

Blitzhex

Yeah the on the fly DPI settings are definitely one of my favorite things about nougat. So much information density on my 6. It's like a tablet.

If you don't mind using a third party launcher, Nova can give you as many rows or columns as you like and you can also scale the icons independently of the system wide DPI. Very handy.

Do launchers like Nova cost any additional battery life or system resources compared to native launcher? Or does it shutdown completely in the background when replaced?.
I don't really use Google now so I don't mind using Nova. I do love Google now on tap though.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Do launchers like Nova cost any additional battery life or system resources compared to native launcher? Or does it shutdown completely in the background when replaced?.
I don't really use Google now so I don't mind using Nova. I do love Google now on tap though.

I have been using Nova for a long time and have never noticed an impact on battery life. It never shows up in the list of stuff that's draining my battery, and using it won't impact Now on Tap at all.

So let's Nexus speculate

S=Smaller L=Larger

S $350 - 16 gigs
L $450 - 16 gigs

S $450 - 16 gigs
L $600 - 32 gigs

Think we will get boned on storage either way, but I can see why at least on the smaller model they might start at 16 gigs still to get it as the lowest entry price.

I got this feeling that with both devices being relatively the same and having 821 chips they are gonna be more expensive than last year. Especially the smaller model.

I doubt they will do 16GB base storage this year. It seems that Apple will move away from it and Google seems to want these devices to be premium so I imagine both devices will be 32GB base like the Nexus 6P was last year.

I'm expecting the pricing to be either $450/$500 for S/L or if they price it even higher than the Nexus 6P was at base than it will be $500/$550. I don't know why, but I feel like there won't be a huge $100 gap between models since the only difference seems like it will be the battery/screen/size.

Noema

So let's Nexus speculate

S=Smaller L=Larger

S $350 - 16 gigs
L $450 - 16 gigs

S $450 - 16 gigs
L $600 - 32 gigs

There's no way they'll price the small one under $400, and there will be at least a $100 gap between the large one and the small one. So our best case scenario would be S $400 and L $500.

But I think that might be too optimistic, specially if the large one starts at 32GB. So more realistically I think your prediction of S $450 and L $600 sounds very likely.

Which would mean the phones would almost be dead in the water I fear. They'd be uncomfortably wedged between the $400 budget flagships and the true premium flagships.

I don't know why, but I feel like there won't be a huge $100 gap between models since the only difference seems like it will be the battery/screen/size.

The gap has to exist to differentiate the models. If there's only a $50 gap there's almost no reason to buy the small one since the 5.5" isn't even that much larger and also has added perks like a larger battery and higher resolution. 5“ is still too large for people who want small phones, specially with those bezels.

Martal

Neo Member
Hey AndroidGAF, if someone (me) was looking to replace their (only slighty) aging Nexus 5, what would you recommend? My budget is quite limited, I don't want to put a number to it because everything is more expensive over here.

Noema

Hey AndroidGAF, if someone (me) was looking to replace their (only slighty) aging Nexus 5, what would you recommend? My budget is quite limited, I don't want to put a number to it because everything is more expensive over here.

Where do you live?

Vanillalite

Get a 5X off of eBay deals

Vanillalite

There's no way they'll price the small one under $400, and there will be at least a $100 gap between the large one and the small one. So our best case scenario would be S $400 and L $500.

But I think that might be too optimistic, specially if the large one starts at 32GB. So more realistically I think your prediction of S $450 and L $600 sounds very likely.

Which would mean the phones would almost be dead in the water I fear. They'd be uncomfortably wedged between the $400 budget flagships and the true premium flagships.

The gap has to exist to differentiate the models. If there's only a $50 gap there's almost no reason to buy the small one since the 5.5" isn't even that much larger and also has added perks like a larger battery and higher resolution. 5“ is still too large for people who want small phones, specially with those bezels.

You're probably right, but ugh. $600 for the large Nexus is tough sledding for me. I know the hardware would be better, and you'd have stock Android. Idk if it would be worth the $200 premium for me personally over the Axon 7 with 64 gig stock storage.

Jigolo

I know David Ruddock is on record saying the Nexus will have 821 but I'm still worried it wont. Depending on whether the V20 has it will make me a little more optimistic. Two more weeks

Straight up was going to complain that a feature wasn't working through the feedback in Android to only realize right before hitting send I was on my Nexus 7 not 6p so I wasn't on 7.0

The Xperia X Compact would be a compelling alternative to the smaller Nexus if it is priced right, but it will probably cost just as much if not more than Sailfish and it probably will not be as competitive spec wise.

Vanillalite

I know David Ruddock is on record saying the Nexus will have 821 but I'm still worried it wont. Depending on whether the V20 has it will make me a little more optimistic. Two more weeks

It's gotta be in something soon or else what's the point?

Next year people will move on to the 830.

Quasar

16G will have like what 8G user space due to dual partitioning? Don't do it Googy.

My understanding was it wouldnt be halved like that, But that the extra partition would be like 4 gb or so. But yeah I'd hope any phone with the dual system partition starts at 32gb.

I wouldn't count in it since all the benchmarks are showing the 820 but who knows. Google may have multiple models in the wild with different Qualcomms.

Vanillalite

I wouldn't count in it since all the benchmarks are showing the 820 but who knows. Google may have multiple models in the wild with different Qualcomms.

If not the Nexus devices than what?

Everything next year will move to the 830. So what else is there?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Next week is Allo week, right? It's gotta launch before the new Nexus phones. Pls

Top Bottom