• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

If not the Nexus devices than what?

Everything next year will move to the 830. So what else is there?

It's not like companies are going to delay their phones a ton because Qualcomm didn't get their chip out in time. Especially for a minimal gain.

Qualcomm could snooze and lose.

Hopefully they got into the nexus phones but we will see.

Noema

Allo looks cool but for better or worse I live in a country where Whatsapp dominates so completely and utterly that I'll never really get to try it out.

Qualcomm could snooze and lose.

At this point Qualcomm is basically early '00s Intel.

Maybe chips like the Kirin 95x will rattle their cage just like the Athlons shook up Intel out of their mediocrity.

The Exynos are good chips but Samsung can barely make enough for themselves and they not willing to license out their architecture for others to use.

Allo looks cool but for better or worse I live in a country where Whatsapp dominates so completely and utterly that I'll never really get to try it out.

At this point Qualcomm is basically early '00s Intel.

Maybe chips like the Kirin 95x will rattle their cage just like the Athlons shook up Intel out of their mediocrity.

The Exynos are good chips but Samsung can barely make enough for themselves and they not willing to license out their architecture for others to use.

Must be nice to live somewhere where there is a unified messaging app like that. The US is a mess in that regard. Fucking texts and a bunch on iMessage. Everyone has Facebook but not always for messaging.

Noema

Must be nice to live somewhere where there is a unified messaging app like that. The US is a mess in that regard. Fucking texts and a bunch on iMessage. Everyone has Facebook but not always for messaging.

Yeah even iPhone users use Whatsapp round these parts.

I used to hate Whatsapp but to be honest it has gotten better in the past year. Google Drive back-ups, forced end to end Encryption, WhatsApp web, GIF support.

Let's see how they do with their new terms of service changes that basically send your phone info and contacts to Facebook.

RuGalz

My understanding was it wouldnt be halved like that, But that the extra partition would be like 4 gb or so. But yeah I'd hope any phone with the dual system partition starts at 32gb.

16G Nexus 5x has like 10.9G user space, give a couple G more for partition you are down to about 8.

VoxPop

I have a Note 7 waiting for me at home but the S7E Olympics Edition is 🔥🔥🔥🔥. Saw it for the first time in person today. Considering buying one to take home but afraid the bands would be incompatible in the US.

reKon

Banned
My baby has arrived. Really hoping that remix OS can be pefected on this so I can dual boot and be thetgos like portable 2 in 1 for me uses.

Jeffrey

I have a Note 7 waiting for me at home but the S7E Olympics Edition is 🔥🔥🔥🔥. Saw it for the first time in person today. Considering buying one to take home but afraid the bands would be incompatible in the US.

Should be fine on at&t. No go for Verizon.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Not all that excited to replace my 6P with the new Nexus devices looming. Last year, I couldn't wait to jump from my N6.

Mindwipe

Yeah even iPhone users use Whatsapp round these parts.

I used to hate Whatsapp but to be honest it has gotten better in the past year. Google Drive back-ups, forced end to end Encryption, WhatsApp web, GIF support.

Let's see how they do with their new terms of service changes that basically send your phone info and contacts to Facebook.

If Whatsapp could get tablet support sorted out it'd actually be pretty good at this point.

Mindwipe

I wouldn't count in it since all the benchmarks are showing the 820 but who knows. Google may have multiple models in the wild with different Qualcomms.

The line between the 820 variations and the 821 might not be as clear as we'd think anyway. It hasn't been in the past.

Nougat kills the ability in Apex to have a gesture to open up the recent apps. Swiping up on the home screen to show the recent apps was the best.

Mindwipe

Reports today that Apple will remove the home button from the 2017 iPhone and integrate the fingerprint scanner into the screen.

I really want an Android phone with that.

My dream phone is pretty much a 4.7 in bezel-less Xperia with the fingerprint scanner in the screen and a flat back, with a high quality camera.

Okay, it can have a bezel at the top for the camera.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So on the real what's the point of the V20 this late in the 820 phone cycle?

Nexus have the benefit of being Google's own, but what about the V20?

Even if it's better than the G5 does it even matter at this juncture?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

No Android phones matter outside of Nexus and Samsung #realtalk

Except Nextbit because it actually looks different.

I wasn't expecting OP to bring quick updates anyway, I knew about OP2 only getting M last June. My plan always was to stay stock until CM with Nougat is out.

Vanillalite

No Android phones matter outside of Nexus and Samsung #realtalk

Except Nextbit because it actually looks different.

Sales of all the cheaper flagship like phones say otherwise.

That being said LG gonna charge like $600+ for the V20 which means it's DOA.

yyzjohn

Banned
Zero chance unless it's not gonna be a live event.

It's never a live event anymore. From what I remember the past couple of years they just update a webpage with all the Nexus hardware details and the reporting embargo is lifted from a bunch of sites that can then talk about it.

Vanillalite

It's never a live event anymore. From what I remember the past couple of years they just update a webpage with all the Nexus hardware details and the reporting embargo is lifted from a bunch of sites that can then talk about it.

What?

They had a live event last year when they announced the 6P and 5X?

nexus-launch-vid-2015-09-29__10-640x360.jpg

yyzjohn

Banned
What?

They had a live event last year when they announced the 6P and 5X?

nexus-launch-vid-2015-09-29__10-640x360.jpg

Oh, I didn't know that, I think the year before they didn't. I remember them just announcing new Nexus hardware some years. Maybe it was the Nexus 6

Yeah just checked, they didn't have any sort of event for the Nexus 6: https://www.engadget.com/2014/10/15/nexus-6-official/

Edit: I think the Nexus 5 didn't have a launch event either.

So anyway, it's not out of the question for them to release hardware without any event. Maybe they'll only have events every couple of years when they make some sort of significant change to hardware. From the leaks it seems like the new Nexus will just be an iterative update over last year's 6P, nothing really to boast about in an official launch event.

this_guy

I'm on T-Mobile. would I be getting full LTE?

Probably no band 12 as band 12 on T-Mobile requires VoLTE, which has to be certified by T-Mobile. (band 12 is what T-Mobile is marketing as 'Extended Range' LTE). T-Mobile's main LTE band in the US is band 4, and they're also starting to add band 2 as well.

***edit*** I was thinking it was an international S7 Edge, but looking at what's on Best Buy's site that Olympic model S7 Edge looks like the unlocked model for the U.S., so it should have full compatibility.

I didn't see the point of the V10 last year either. A secondary display, which seems stupid and adds unnecessary battery drain, and hi quality sound are the only things it adds over their G series flagship.

Vanillalite

Should be fine on at&t. No go for Verizon.

Probably no band 12 as band 12 on T-Mobile requires VoLTE, which has to be certified by T-Mobile. (band 12 is what T-Mobile is marketing as 'Extended Range' LTE). T-Mobile's main LTE band in the US is band 4, and they're also starting to add band 2 as well.

I didn't see the point of the V10 last year either. A secondary display, which seems stupid and adds unnecessary battery drain, and hi quality sound are the only things it adds over their G series flagship.

Best Buy

5445500cv11d.jpg;maxHeight=200;maxWidth=300

Compatible with CDMA and GSM carriers, including Verizon Wireless, Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile
Also compatible with prepaid SIM Kits, including Verizon Wireless Prepaid, Cricket Wireless, Net10, H2O, GoPhone and Simple Wireless.

Take that as you will direct from Best Buy

Vanillalite

Oh, I didn't know that, I think the year before they didn't. I remember them just announcing new Nexus hardware some years. Maybe it was the Nexus 6

Yeah just checked, they didn't have any sort of event for the Nexus 6: https://www.engadget.com/2014/10/15/nexus-6-official/

So anyway, it's not out of the question for them to release hardware without any event. Maybe they'll only have events every couple of years when they make some sort of significant change to hardware. From the leaks it seems like the new Nexus will just be an iterative update over last year's 6P, nothing really to boast about in an official launch event.

They have a full rollout of their VR platform to pump this year. If anything this is the biggest year yet for a Nexus event.

2 phones + VR Headsets + Touch controller + Android Day Dream + Google Chirp (Echo Competitor)

yyzjohn

Banned
They have a full rollout of their VR platform to pump this year. If anything this is the biggest year yet for a Nexus event.

2 phones + VR Headsets + Touch controller + Android Day Dream + Google Chirp (Echo Competitor)

The 2 phones themselves don't really push any new envelope though. I can see them announcing the phones without any fanfare. For the other stuff maybe they have some sort of event.

this_guy

Best Buy

5445500cv11d.jpg;maxHeight=200;maxWidth=300

Take that as you will direct from Best Buy

I made an edit in my post after seeing this.

I was thinking it was an international S7 Edge, but looking at what's on Best Buy's site that Olympic model S7 Edge looks like the unlocked model for the U.S., so it should have full compatibility with all US carriers like how Motorola does with their unlocked phones. When the S7 and S7 Edge first past through the FCC it showed full compatibility with all carriers (all bands for LTE, cdma, gsm), but then individual variants showed up later for each carrier. Samsung brings over the same hardware for the US market, but the carrier versions have firmware that lock out some bands that the individual carrier doesn't need. The unlocked version doesn't have this problem.

teiresias

I've been staring at this Nexus 5 with a badly cracked screen for like a year, so I'm getting anxious for Nexus news. At this point I'd rather wait just to get as much support time as possible rather than buying a 6P. Of course, if it goes too much longer I may just have to bolt to a OP3 or Honor8 or something and go XDA ROMS again (though I love not having to deal with that crap with Nexus).

One if those events was canceled due to a hurricane. I think it was the Nexus 5.

The nexus 6 is the only time there hasn't been a planned event.

Jeffrey

wonder what the controversy is gonna be with this year's nexus.

last year was SD810, random camera glass cracking, and Bendgate.

Jigolo

lol why are people asking this. Like we all know this community likes to bitch about everything. Including hypotheticals before Google even acknowledges a devices existence.

It's like you're fucking preping yourself to complain about something

I wouldn't count in it since all the benchmarks are showing the 820 but who knows. Google may have multiple models in the wild with different Qualcomms.

AndroidPolice is rarely, if ever, wrong.

It will absolutely have the 821. There's zero doubt.

While overblown, that's definitely a real phenomenon. I baby my phones, and my 6p developed a bend around the power button.

reKon

Banned
lol why are people asking this. Like we all know this community likes to bitch about everything. Including hypotheticals before Google even acknowledges a devices existence.

It's like you're fucking preping yourself to complain about something

preach

Top Bottom