• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
ZTE Axon 7 Review: The phone which broke our music test...

Rp5T8wS.png

Hasney

Was having battery issues with System and OS, looks pretty common from what I've read for those in the beta going to final, but a factory reset sorts it out.

Also forgot just how painless a factory reset is these days. Other than a 3rd party SMS backup solution being required, everything else just restores.

Blitzhex

Was having battery issues with System and OS, looks pretty common from what I've read for those in the beta going to final, but a factory reset sorts it out.

Also forgot just how painless a factory reset is these days. Other than a 3rd party SMS backup solution being required, everything else just restores.

That doesn't fix it. I did a clean 6.0.1 august image flash then installed the 7.0 OTA then factory reset. Still have os and system drain and my sot has gone down from 6 hours on MM to 3-4 hours on N. Installed N the hour it came out. Don't have many apps either.

Hasney

That doesn't fix it. I did a clean 6.0.1 august image flash then installed the 7.0 OTA then factory reset. Still have os and system drain and my sot has gone down from 6 hours on MM to 3-4 hours on N. Installed N the hour it came out. Don't have many apps either.

Download CPUSPY to check what's happening when it tries to go into deep sleep. It's usually a rogue app even if it doesn't come up in the list.

AndroidPolice is rarely, if ever, wrong.

It will absolutely have the 821. There's zero doubt.

While overblown, that's definitely a real phenomenon. I baby my phones, and my 6p developed a bend around the power button.

Zero doubt? Confirmed benchmarks are showing the 820 on both nexus. I find that more accurate than AP guessing on a coincidence and not confirming. AP also guessed on the Note 7.

"To date, we've been unable to confirm what processors Google's new Nexus phones will use. This has been, in part, a function of our lack of concrete knowledge around Qualcomm's chipset naming and release roadmap, but today's announcement of the 821 seems far from a coincidence, given no devices have yet been announced as using it. While Samsung's upcoming Note 7 may also feature the 821 (at least in the US), we felt confident that the 2016 Nexuses would also be using a newer Qualcomm part, we just didn't know what it would be called, exactly."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/07/11/its-very-likely-the-2016-nexus-phones-will-use-qualcomms-snapdragon-821-processor/

Does this mean google wont swap out the 820 in the Nexus 2016 in the wild for the 821 late in the game? No and hopefully they will. As of right now the only thing real is an 820 in the Nexus though. Its all about time. I really doubt google will delay a launch significantly for the 821 if things arent ready.

Paznos

Zero doubt? Confirmed benchmarks are showing the 820 on both nexus. I find that more accurate than AP guessing on a coincidence and not confirming. AP also guessed on the Note 7.

"To date, we've been unable to confirm what processors Google's new Nexus phones will use. This has been, in part, a function of our lack of concrete knowledge around Qualcomm's chipset naming and release roadmap, but today's announcement of the 821 seems far from a coincidence, given no devices have yet been announced as using it. While Samsung's upcoming Note 7 may also feature the 821 (at least in the US), we felt confident that the 2016 Nexuses would also be using a newer Qualcomm part, we just didn't know what it would be called, exactly."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/07/11/its-very-likely-the-2016-nexus-phones-will-use-qualcomms-snapdragon-821-processor/

Does this mean google wont swap out the 820 in the Nexus 2016 in the wild for the 821 late in the game? No and hopefully they will. As of right now the only thing real is an 820 in the Nexus though. Its all about time. I really doubt google will delay a launch significantly for the 821 if things arent ready.

https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/763428998349062144

Jeffrey

lol why are people asking this. Like we all know this community likes to bitch about everything. Including hypotheticals before Google even acknowledges a devices existence.

It's like you're fucking preping yourself to complain about something

Gotta live life expecting the worse so if everything turns out ok, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If the Nexus didn't use 821, are there even any other phones coming out that would?

That was my whole point.

Granted Oserious did say it would mean that Qualcomm would just eat it.

EDIT: Obviously AP says it's coming. I was just commenting in general.

That made me giggle listening to them saying that. My only real issue with the phone is the non-backlit capacitive buttons, and it doesn't have an option for on-screen buttons. Outside of that, I really like the look of the Axon 7.

Even with no job, I will still pre-order the living fuck out of this phone if it really has an 821.

thenexus6

Week three of Motorola still not repairing my Moto G (2015). My Dad phoned them on my behalf because he's better at talking to customer service stuff on the phone, he learned that Motorola have lost over 7,000 documents recently including maybe mine.

They are still happy charging me £35 for repairing my phone, when its covered until April 2017 by warranty.

Getting real sick of using my Moto E1 as my main phone now..

Week three of Motorola still not repairing my Moto G (2015). My Dad phoned them on my behalf because he's better at talking to customer service stuff on the phone, he learned that Motorola have lost over 7,000 documents recently including maybe mine.

They are still happy charging me £35 for repairing my phone, when its covered until April 2017 by warranty.

Moto can fuck right off. At this point, why are they still trying when they basically don't even try to fix phones under warranty?

Jeffrey

Sucks, but the repair price isn't too bad I guess?

In the end it depends on what you want to do. Still cheaper to repair that then getting a new phone.

Quasar

Shocking news, but Google's downsizing the Google Fiber division?

They really do so much start and stops.

Clearly people dont care to have hi speed fibre in their homes. Same reason verizon bailed. Doubly surprising to me given regions were chosen based at least in part on user demand.

But this seems all part of the new alphabet philosophy where units actually have to make money rather than sponge off google.

redlegs87

Ok so I have been rocking a iPhone 4s for quite some time now and am with Ting for a carrier. I've been wanting to upgrade my phone but really haven't found any good deals on anything. I see that I can get a Nexus 5x for $199.99 + tax right now if I purchase it and switch over to Project Fi. Anyone here on Fi or been on it any thoughts? Also is the 5x a good buy at $199.99?

No Love

Banned

You do realize that restoring your app data backup can bring along with it a ton of wakelocks/battery drain problems? Seems to be a huge problem to me, one of Android's big downsides... Can't even trust a restore not to carry issues along.

Vanillalite

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...iew-whats-the-opposite-of-bang-for-your-buck/

huh, arstechnica with a surprisingly harsh review for the note 7 for a 'big site'.

Basically telling people to get a oneplus 3 instead.

As harsh as that is I think it's gonna become more common.

700 MSRP phones are gonna have to be demonstratively better phone in feature set and benchmarks compared to the new midrange at $400.

The OnePlus 3 kills the benchmarks both cause of the 1080p display as well as a lighter OS skin.

Gone are the days of liking flagships just because. Last year started a trend with things like the Zenfone, but this year has kicked into overdrive.

I feel for a company like LG trying to launch the V20 in this cycle.

Jeffrey

As harsh as that is I think it's gonna become more common.

700 MSRP phones are gonna have to be demonstratively better phone in feature set and benchmarks compared to the new midrange at $400.

The OnePlus 3 kills the benchmarks both cause of the 1080p display as well as a lighter OS skin.

Gone are the days of liking flagships just because. Last year started a trend with things like the Zenfone, but this year has kicked into overdrive.

I feel for a company like LG trying to launch the V20 in this cycle.

Can't wait for the day when people don't just blindly give iphones universal praise.

Wonder if this year's barebone update with removal of headphone jack will be the 'one'.

Vanillalite

Wtf at these trash ass rumors that the Tab S3 gonna have a 652.

FFS

I really don't want to have to cave on the Pixel C a year later for $500 still.

Can't wait for the day when people don't just blindly give iphones universal praise.

Wonder if this year's barebone update with removal of headphone jack will be the 'one'.

I don't think it will happen anytime soon. There are no midrange iOS phones that the latest iPhone is ever competing against like Android flagships deal with. You want iOS you have to go iPhone whether it's the latest model or the one from the year prior. At most you'll see reviewers say that it's worth considering paying a few hundred dollars less for a 6s instead of the 7.

Vanillalite

I don't think it will happen anytime soon. There are no midrange iOS phones that the latest iPhone is ever competing against like Android flagships deal with. You want iOS you have to go iPhone whether it's the latest model or the one from the year prior. At most you'll see reviewers say that it's worth considering paying a few hundred dollars less for a 6s instead of the 7.

I see this happening ie get a cheaper 6S or just wait for the 7S.

Jeffrey

At this point, both platforms are solid enough and similar enough in which switching between apple and android shouldn't be a big issue for most people, and clearly happens, otherwise how is samsung leading flagship phone sales in 2016?

I can definitely see the new iphone take some dings for the lower resolution screen 'huge' bezels etc if nothing changed at the price.

The highly positive reviews for samsung phones might be the key to phones getting slapped around a bit in reviews lol.

Who'd ever thought that would happen ever.

Quasar

Well the SE would seem to be that. Or older gen iPhones.

Have to admit all this talk of next years iPhone has been quite disheartening in terms of my considering an iPhone this year. Especially given Apples health initiatives are the big thing driving me to consider it. Might just buy an Ipod Touch instead as it has the same health stuff and wait another year before I decide on my next phone.Especially if Google Home is gimped on iOS.

Well the SE would seem to be that. Or older gen iPhones.

Have to admit all this talk of next years iPhone has been quite disheartening in terms of my considering an iPhone this year. Especially given Apples health initiatives are the big thing driving me to consider it. Might just buy an Ipod Touch instead as it has the same health stuff and wait another year before I decide on my next phone.Especially if Google Home is gimped on iOS.

The SE would be that for people willing to give up screen size. This year might be different given the removal of the headphone jack will be a big deal for a lot of people, but normally with the way they price iPhones I'm not sure buying the previous year's model really makes sense considering that it's only $100 cheaper. Not that $100 isn't meaningful money, but it becomes less so I think for people who are already willing to spend $650 on a phone with 16 gb of storage.

Jeffrey

Wonder how moto z is doing.

Are there bluetooth headphones with usb-c charge ports?

I'm slowly switching most stuff to usb-c cables and I've not found any from googling.

Quasar

The SE would be that for people willing to give up screen size. This year might be different given the removal of the headphone jack will be a big deal for a lot of people, but normally with the way they price iPhones I'm not sure buying the previous year's model really makes sense considering that it's only $100 cheaper. Not that $100 isn't meaningful money, but it becomes less so I think for people who are already willing to spend $650 on a phone with 16 gb of storage.

True.

And this 7 actually makes me wonder about the SE given its surprising sales. Is Apple really going to let it fall behind like it appears to, given part of the market seems to be people who want a full power iPhone, just small. Certainly there's been no leaks about an updated SE to go alongside the 7 and 7 Plus/Pro.

VoxPop

Thanks guys. The S7E OE is around 750 out here. Haven't really checked but maybe I'll be able to get it for a similar or lower price back in the states since they sell it at best buy and whatnot.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
seems like a fair review. if you don't need the Note, why get a Note?
I miss the OG Note days. When I had one. It was the absolute pinnacle of technology and nothing else touched it. Now it's a bigger Galaxy S, which is fine but unimpressive.

I also miss the OG Note aspect ratio. That was fun, although impractical for one handed use.

seems like a fair review. if you don't need the Note, why get a Note?

The Note just ain't what it used to be. As usual Samsung brings it down on themselves. I used to think it wasn't that hard to design a device that gives people what they want but then I found Samsung. Masters of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

On the up side, MM is pretty nice on the Note 4.

Hasney

Want a Pixel C like device, but $500 on the eve of IFA is hard.

Yeah, Pixel C's great, but after the developer discount and it being old now, its a tough ask.

Still think Google and Nvidia are doing followups to their last tablets, but Pascal was just a little late to the party. If the NX rumours are anything to go by, waiting for 2017 is still shit.

Top Bottom