• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

LeleSocho

Banned
I miss the OG Note days. When I had one. It was the absolute pinnacle of technology and nothing else touched it. Now it's a bigger Galaxy S, which is fine but unimpressive.

I also miss the OG Note aspect ratio. That was fun, although impractical for one handed use.

16:10 screens make so much more sense on smartphones that i'm sincerely surprised that there isn't at least one annual high end product with it.

LeleSocho

Banned
16:10 screens make no sense because your goal is to minimize width, not maximize it.

My goal is to minimize height not width.
Who the heck uses phones in landscape if not for watching video? I don't want a skyscraper as a phone but something more balanced in vein of the iPhone 4 on the width/height proportions of the phone, 16:10 is a good compromise between being a standard aspect ratio for media consumption and having good proportion.

TehOh

Argh, shattered the screen on my 2013 Moto X, so I guess it's time to upgrade. Between Nexus 6P and OnePlus 3. Or maybe the newest Moto X, but it doesn't sound as nice.

Anybody recommend one over the other? Or have other recommendations? I don't need top specs, just reasonably affordable and decent battery. I'm not sure I want the giant screen, but the Nexus sounds like a good phone.

Dont get last year's Nexus at this point unless you get a N5X for less than 200. OP3 is good. Check out the Honor 8 as well cause if you get it around now it'll be 350.

TehOh

Dont get last year's Nexus at this point unless you get a N5X for less than 200. OP3 is good. Check out the Honor 8 as well cause if you get it around now it'll be 350.

I know new Nexus phones are coming soon, but I can't really wait until October for a new phone.

Will look at the Honor too.

OnePlus has a very long shipping time at this point, so if you can't wait you shouldn't consider it.

But even after the new Nexus phones come out it will have the best price to performance ratio and I'm very happy with its battery life. Dash Charge is amazing, but has the major disadvantage of being tied to OnePlus's chargers - costs €30 to get a replacement. At least other USB-C chargers will work while you wait.

Also OnePlus has had a bad track record with updates (Marshmallow for OP2 in June!!) so a custom ROM is heavily recommended.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah, Pixel C's great, but after the developer discount and it being old now, its a tough ask.

Still think Google and Nvidia are doing followups to their last tablets, but Pascal was just a little late to the party. If the NX rumours are anything to go by, waiting for 2017 is still shit.

Want a new tablet to stream ESPN for football season among other shit.

The wait is sooo hard, but jack shit has come out this year.

My Nexus 7 long in the tooth.

No Love

Banned
ZTE Axon 7 Review: The phone which broke our music test...

Rp5T8wS.png

Been testing my Axon 7 out with my Sennheiser and it truly does blow everything out of the water. The difference is staggering, even using the shitty stock system in my M5 you can hear a difference in crispness, clarity and bass output. My LG G4 output was far inferior in comparison. The V20 has its work cut out for it.

I miss the OG Note days. When I had one. It was the absolute pinnacle of technology and nothing else touched it. Now it's a bigger Galaxy S, which is fine but unimpressive.

I also miss the OG Note aspect ratio. That was fun, although impractical for one handed use.

The Note just ain't what it used to be. As usual Samsung brings it down on themselves. I used to think it wasn't that hard to design a device that gives people what they want but then I found Samsung. Masters of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

On the up side, MM is pretty nice on the Note 4.

i think the problem is .... if you want a stylus... there is no competition.

still a li'l salty about not having 6GB of RAM.

THURSDAY!

reKon

Banned
God damn the screen on the Galaxy Tab Pro S is so damn beautiful. I made the right decision. Just need Remix OS finalized for this device and I've have everything I want now that there is dual booting with Windows 10. Browsing performance on Edge w/ the dark theme is incredible and battery life has been pretty good so far.

My only concern will be getting the PS4 remote play app working properly. I think for it to work, you have to have the PS4 controller connected so I need to wait on my USB C adapter to come in.

If they had made a 12 inch version of the Pixel C with a touch pad and at least 4GB of ram, I probably would have been all over that. I still feel the next Pixel C kind of device is just going to be very thin 2 in 1 Chromebook with the Pixel label on it. You will still be able to run all of your Android apps on it so this should be great for all of you are waiting for something like this.

$600 w/ no tax for a Galaxy Tab Pro S is tough to beat though. Thinnest Windows 10 tablet at 6.3mm and thinner than a Pixel C and more on board memory, better performance, similar battery life (assumption), and a keyboard with a decent touchpad.

Pixel C has the higher res screen and it's a very good size though. It's still a great device and if it gets discounted down enough, I'm not sure why some of you wouldn't want to buy it because it's "old". They have Remix OS 3 running on this thing now. If it gets discounted more, it will be an even better buy.

God damn the screen on the Galaxy Tab Pro S is so damn beautiful. I made the right decision. Just need Remix OS finalized for this device and I've have everything I want now that there is dual booting with Windows 10. Browsing performance on Edge w/ the dark theme is incredible and battery life has been pretty good so far.

My only concern will be getting the PS4 remote play app working properly. I think for it to work, you have to have the PS4 controller connected so I need to wait on my USB C adapter to come in.

If they had made a 12 inch version of the Pixel C with a touch pad and at least 4GB of ram, I probably would have been all over that. I still feel the next Pixel C kind of device is just going to be very thin 2 in 1 Chromebook with the Pixel label on it. You will still be able to run all of your Android apps on it so this should be great for all of you are waiting for something like this.

$600 w/ no tax for a Galaxy Tab Pro S is tough to beat though. Thinnest Windows 10 tablet at 6.3mm and thinner than a Pixel C and more on board memory, better performance, similar battery life (assumption), and a keyboard with a decent touchpad.

Pixel C has the higher res screen and it's a very good size though. It's still a great device and if it gets discounted down enough, I'm not sure why some of you wouldn't want to buy it because it's "old". They have Remix OS 3 running on this thing now. If it gets discounted more, it will be an even better buy.

Verge review said 6 hours of real battery usage for the Samsung. I get 12 on my pixel c.

Kind of hard to compare the two tablets though.

reKon

Banned
Verge review said 6 hours of real battery usage for the Samsung. I get 12 on my pixel c.

Kind of hard to compare the two tablets though.

It's the Verge though.... They are the least reliable when it comes to anything related to battery. Also, I think the browser has a big impact. That reviewer said he was browsing on Chrome with 10-12 tabs got him that battery life, which is actually good for a Windows 10 tablet on chrome. I know that the Surface Pro 4 gets worse battery life. If you're on Windows 10 Edge is the superior tablet for browsing speed and battery life. It's just missing extensions.

Lisa from MobileTechReview averaged 8.5 hours and other sites I know got higher (see ZDnet, CNET, Engadget reviews). Honestly depends on what you're doing though and whether you set up your screen brightness properly. Do you mainly browse or stream on your Pixel C and what's on your on screen time?

They will be easier to compare once I get Remix OS on this thing. It's out for Pixel C, btw.

Vanillalite

I don't want something that big. I just want something bigger than like 8" that isn't hella expensive with old components.

Tab S2 is nice, but for $450 I kinda want better eternals.

reKon

Banned
I don't want something that big. I just want something bigger than like 8" that isn't hella expensive with old components.

Tab S2 is nice, but for $450 I kinda want better eternals.

The 9.7 inch is selling for $330 on best buy which is a great deal. The performance is very good, but it doesn't have battery life that touches the Pixel C's. Who knows what the new one will bring, but it will definitely start off over priced. You might as well way for the 2 in 1 chromebooks

Saiyan-Rox

Used my GF's wwileyfox swift earlier and surprisingly i really liked the feel of it :eek: heald a 5X the other day and liked the feel of it swell....guess i've been using metal phones for so long i just forgot how nice in the hand they can be.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If I buy another tablet, it has to be a Nexus. Otherwise, I'm stuck on old firmware, like I am now on my Lollipop Zenpad. I'm happy with the hardware but the old firmware kills me.

reKon

Banned
If I buy another tablet, it has to be a Nexus. Otherwise, I'm stuck on old firmware, like I am now on my Lollipop Zenpad. I'm happy with the hardware but the old firmware kills me.

Lol, back when I was choosing between getting the Zen Pad or Galaxy Tab S2, this wasn't even a consideration for me as I assumed both would take forever to get it. Look where are are now. The Marshmallow version on the Galaxy Tab S2 is very nice apart from not having a theme store like the phones do. The smoothest tablet experience I've ever had (thanks Exynos). I'm surprised that Asus still hasn't upgraded that to Lollipop.

Get a Taskbar in Android Nougat!

This would be really useful for tablets like Pixel C
(wonder if they would announce another tablet)

Or just get Remix OS........

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Lol, back when I was choosing between getting the Zen Pad or Galaxy Tab S2, this wasn't even a consideration for me as I assumed both would take forever to get it. Look where are are now. The Marshmallow version on the Galaxy Tab S2 is very nice apart from not having a theme store like the stores do. The smoothest tablet experience I've ever had (thanks Exynos). I'm surprised that Asus still hasn't upgraded that to Lollipop.

I'm not terribly upset about not getting Marshmallow but Nougat kills me. The multiwindow is absolutely critical for a tablet :(

Vanillalite

I don't care about that so much as spending high priced tablet money, but getting old innards. The S2 doesn't even have the S6 proc. Let alone the s7 proc be it international or NA.

The screen is baller, but I wish the processor matched.

reKon

Banned
I don't care about that so much as spending high priced tablet money, but getting old innards. The S2 doesn't even have the S6 proc. Let alone the s7 proc be it international or NA.

The screen is baller, but I wish the processor matched.

That was initially a disappointment for me, but the performance with the Exynos chip has still really been great. I ran geekbench when I received the tablet and I think it put up single core score and multi score scores of 1400 and 4300-4400 respectively, which is very good and better than the most comparable iPad Mini at the time. Web Browsing wise it's very fast on Samsung's stock browser, which you can install adblock on as well.

When the Nexus 7 came out, it had a snapdragon rebranded Snapdragon S4 Pro (SD 600) instead of snapdragon 800 and everyone still loved the performance. Sometimes these things aren't as bad, despite not using the Exynos 7420.

I can see why you would want to wait for something newer around corner, but I'm hoping it doesn't have anything to do with thinking the performance isn't to par because it still is on the Galaxy Tab S2.

It's the Verge though.... They are the least reliable when it comes to anything related to battery. Also, I think the browser has a big impact. That reviewer said he was browsing on Chrome with 10-12 tabs got him that battery life, which is actually good for a Windows 10 tablet on chrome. I know that the Surface Pro 4 gets worse battery life. If you're on Windows 10 Edge is the superior tablet for browsing speed and battery life. It's just missing extensions.

Lisa from MobileTechReview averaged 8.5 hours and other sites I know got higher (see ZDnet, CNET, Engadget reviews). Honestly depends on what you're doing though and whether you set up your screen brightness properly. Do you mainly browse or stream on your Pixel C and what's on your on screen time?

They will be easier to compare once I get Remix OS on this thing. It's out for Pixel C, btw.

Almost all of my girlfriend and my usage on the pixel c is a combination of Hulu and chrome. It hits 12 hours sot with both profiles active.

There is nothing like the Pixel C until you compare to an Apple device IMO. Those go toe to toe.

reKon

Banned
Almost all of my girlfriend and my usage on the pixel c is a combination of Hulu and chrome. It hits 12 hours sot with both profiles active.

There is nothing like the Pixel C until you compare to an Apple device IMO. Those go toe to toe.

Yeah that's very impressive. I haven't hear of people hitting that kind of battery consistently on it like that. If I do straight watching movies on this amoled screen I think I'd hit a similar mark on the Tab Pro S. I've gotten 8 hours of SOT on the Tab S2 when watching shows/movies the entire time on a trip when it usually averages 6 due to web browsing on chrome.

I was going back and forth between buying a Pixel C when they were having $150 off the 64 GB version. In the end I couldn't justify getting it for the price it was at because the keyboard would another $150 and I much preferred browsing with a touchpad over having to reach for my screen to click on items.

It is an extremely under rated device though and even better than it was a year ago.

Vanillalite

That was initially a disappointment for me, but the performance with the Exynos chip has still really been great. I ran geekbench when I received the tablet and I think it put up single core score and multi score scores of 1400 and 4300-4400 respectively, which is very good and better than the most comparable iPad Mini at the time. Web Browsing wise it's very fast on Samsung's stock browser, which you can install adblock on as well.

When the Nexus 7 came out, it had a snapdragon rebranded Snapdragon S4 Pro (SD 600) instead of snapdragon 800 and everyone still loved the performance. Sometimes these things aren't as bad, despite not using the Exynos 7420.

I can see why you would want to wait for something newer around corner, but I'm hoping it doesn't have anything to do with thinking the performance isn't to par because it still is on the Galaxy Tab S2.

I get that the performance isn't bad.

It's that the performance level 18 months old for the price still being charged.

BB quickly sold out of the s2 on sale btw, and now it's back up to $450.

I get it though. Samsung themselves haven't come out with a replacement yet so in their minds this is still their top dog. Plus nobody else has come out with anything notable since the Pixel C.

PS: 800 wasn't out yet when the Nexus 7 dropped.

In which folder can I find pictures that I received through Messenger when I connect my phone to my PC?

Friend sent me a bunch of pics from our vacation and need to have them on my PC. On a Motorola Moto G4 if it matters.

Ok, I'm sick of tolerating my Nexus 4. I need an upgrade. The cheapest I can find a used Nexus 5 for is around $180-200 CDN but for that price is rather buy refurbished or new. What are my options around that price range? And I have to stress I'm looking to upgrade, not sidegrade or downgrade. This damn thing is nearly four years old.

Vanillalite

Ok, I'm sick of tolerating my Nexus 4. I need an upgrade. The cheapest I can find a used Nexus 5 for is around $180-200 CDN but for that price is rather buy refurbished or new. What are my options around that price range? And I have to stress I'm looking to upgrade, not sidegrade or downgrade. This damn thing is nearly four years old.

What's your max budget?

CronoShot

Around that price the only thing that would actually be an upgrade is the Nexus 5X on Fi for 250. Something like the Moto G4 would be a downgrade, or sidegrade at best.

Edit: Nevermind, you're coming from a Nexus 4, not 5. Moto G4 would be an upgrade.

Bboy AJ

Nextbit Robin or new/outgoing Nexus.

That and Qualcomm's unwillingness to provide updated drivers.

One of the biggest problems with Android today is that the device drivers are proprietary and distributed as binary blobs. This make it impossible to keep old devices updated (which is exactly as intended) and it also makes buying a Nexus over any branded Android device pointless. Either way, driver support will end and you can never upgrade anymore.

What's your max budget?

$180-200 CDN.

Around that price the only thing that would actually be an upgrade is the Nexus 5X on Fi for 250. Something like the Moto G4 would be a downgrade, or sidegrade at best.

Edit: Nevermind, you're coming from a Nexus 4, not 5. Moto G4 would be an upgrade.

Fi doesn't exist in Canada. The Moto G4 isn't available unlocked.

Nextbit Robin or new/outgoing Nexus.

The Robin is $479, the Nexus 5X is $439.

Top Bottom