• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

clav

$499 USD and $599 USD for the new Nexus?

I hear echoes of Kaz Hirai PS3's price announcement.

Jokes aside, I still look forward to what the actual details are.

tzare

Anyone here has a note 4 and uses Android pay? Does it work well?
It isn't available in Spain yet, but hopefully it is before the end of the year and was considering buying note 7, since Samsung pay works here in Spain and for some reason note 4 is not supported... but 7 is too expensive and will wait until it drops it's price or maybe even wait for next year devices.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
smaller size....plus you can get a $50 off coupon code from Huawei. I ordered one today for 350.

$350 vs $400 makes it more palatable. Should have been $350 all along in the USA IMO.

Didn't know they were running a $50 special.

Still think your better off getting an actual 820 phone for $50 more.

Furyous

Android Authority Honor 8 first impressions

They seem positive, but I kept thinking LTTP? Like why would you get this over the OP3 or Axon 7? There isn't a single feature better?

You have small hands and the OP3/Axon 7 are made for bigfoot.

Now AndroidGAF, help me find the X Compact specs. If the device has a 720p resolution then I expect four day battery life. They need to step up to 1080p at least.

The few weeks are almost over and where the fuck is Daydream? I want my VR Xvid erm Crunchyroll VR app. Let us code in VR because reasons.

$350 vs $400 makes it more palatable. Should have been $350 all along in the USA IMO.

Didn't know they were running a $50 special.

Still think your better off getting an actual 820 phone for $50 more.

eh, I don't game on my phone or do anything graphically intensive so I'm sure a kirin 950 will be fine. the only other phones on the price range are the Axon 7 and the op3. I've been burned by OnePlus in the past with their customer service, and the Axon 7 has those ugly capacitive buttons.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
For the smaller or larger phone and with what storage?
$400 for the large one with 32GB would be ideal. I'd buy the 64GB model for $430-450. Smaller should hit low $300 with 32GB, too.

Anything in the $500s is crazy. I know 6P launched at $500 32GB base but damn. That's pricey. It was a little more palatable after the $10,000 Nexus 6.

$400 for the large one with 32GB would be ideal. I'd buy the 64GB model for $430-450. Smaller should hit low $300 with 32GB, too.

Anything in the $500s is crazy. I know 6P launched at $500 32GB base but damn. That's pricey. It was a little more palatable after the $10,000 Nexus 6.

If they are going to be on carriers as rumored, kiss the cheaper nexus price goodbye. Cheapest will probably be $600-$700

Honestly, anything over $550 base price for either Nexus phone sounds ridiculous to me. I'm hoping Sailfish is $450 32GB because anymore than that and I will have to pass on it.

clav

The radio performance on the new Nexus phones don't look very good.

They're worse than the major flagships out.

Vanillalite

Might just preorder that Axon 7 shipment 2.

Want something QHD as you need that according to rumors to run daydream. So the OP3 won't cut it if I decided I wanted to try Daydream.

Rafy

OK, for anyone in Europe that cares my sources said that we'll hear more about the Axon 7 on Sept 1st. Something to do with IFA probably.

I also have a feeling we'll get to know more about the Zenfone 3 on Sept. 9th.

Honestly, it's about time. My Axon 7 has been pre-ordered through Amazon in Germany since August 1st. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

You have small hands and the OP3/Axon 7 are made for bigfoot.

Now AndroidGAF, help me find the X Compact specs. If the device has a 720p resolution then I expect four day battery life. They need to step up to 1080p at least.

The few weeks are almost over and where the fuck is Daydream? I want my VR Xvid erm Crunchyroll VR app. Let us code in VR because reasons.

http://pocketnow.com/2016/08/29/sony-xperia-x-compact-benchmark-1080p

I hope everything is true and it's good cause even I am sick of making fun of Sony. There's only so many jokes we can throw at them.
Watch this be $700

Vanillalite

Allo week?

Allo? Can you hear me now?

160824_1008230yjob.png

tzare

Allo week?

I hope Allo goes beyond phone number, as much as i'd love whatsapp performance for Hangouts, i will still use it since it is really convenient to use it on pc or tablet or other phones i use without any issues.
A phone number should be mandatory for Allo , but should also be able to have desktop and tablet support via email or verification code or whatever to have it in multiple devices.
Just like telegram, which is better than whatsapp in some ways, but isn't as mainstream as the former.
Maybe google can do it right now, but it is too late probably.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I hope Allo goes beyond phone number, as much as i'd love whatsapp performance for Hangouts, i will still use it since it is really convenient to use it on pc or tablet or other phones i use without any issues.
A phone number should be mandatory for Allo , but should also be able to have desktop and tablet support via email or verification code or whatever to have it in multiple devices.
Just like telegram, which is better than whatsapp in some ways, but isn't as mainstream as the former.
Maybe google can do it right now, but it is too late probably.

At least WhatsApp does offer a web interface. That is pretty much a requirement for me to adopt any messaging platform at this point.

Blitzhex

I'd like to use Allo when it comes out. Seems like it has nice features, but Asia is such a WhatsApp stronghold right now. People use random services for video chat, but for chat it's just WhatsApp. Where I live local shops even have WhatsApp numbers to check up on prices and they broadcast promos etc.

tzare

At least WhatsApp does offer a web interface. That is pretty much a requirement for me to adopt any messaging platform at this point.

yes, it is nice to have, but it is a bit of a hassle, and using it in a tablet or other smartphone is not very friendly, since it is not mobile friendly.
I just want an app that syncs just like hangouts, with an extra security layer, like a verifcation code to the phone number, but once set, it keeps working, and with the possibility to end session from the main phone were first activated.

I use multiple devices and hangouts is just perfect.

I'd like to use Allo when it comes out. Seems like it has nice features, but Asia is such a WhatsApp stronghold right now. People use random services for video chat, but for chat it's just WhatsApp. Where I live local shops even have WhatsApp numbers to check up on prices and they broadcast promos etc

Since Duo seems to be really nice, maybe Allo could make video calls via duo , something whatsapp is lacking so far. But it will be difficult to change trends, whatsapp is dominating in many countries and it will be hard to make people change , unless your contacts start changing too. Maybe adding animated gifs before whatsapp (still on beta) will help too.

tzare

No, what's the point of a web interface if you have to use your phone? Just use the phone, no real advantage IMO.

at work for example, i am using it right now. Have my phone sitting on the table and whatsapp web open while working so i can chat and type easily. Just like i do with hangouts, i have a gmail tab open too ... no need to touch my phone

Noema

No, what's the point of a web interface if you have to use your phone? Just use the phone, no real advantage IMO.

I'd much rather type on my keyboard if I'm working on my computer than disrupt my work flow by having to pickup my phone and unlock it everything I need to reply to something.

Call me old school but I vastly prefer my physical keyboard to typing on glass.

g0tm1lk

at work for example, i am using it right now. Have my phone sitting on the table and whatsapp web open while working so i can chat and type easily. Just like i do with hangouts, i have a gmail tab open too ... no need to touch my phone

Yes, I understand.

What I say is that hangouts has the advantage you don't need your phone to access through a PC. I know it's better to type on a keyboard on a PC than rather use a phone, but in Whatsapp the web interface needs you to use the phone first in order to activate it, so yes it's better than not having it but it will be way more useful (to me at least) to be able to use the web access without the phone.

So Blu (Yeah I know) has unveiled their newest flagship phone the Pure XR. Pretty good specs for the cost and the price is really good although you are likely to never get updates. Also, I can't tell if it is lacking GSM bands or not which would be pretty weird since it is a GSM only phone.

Mediatek Helio P10.
64GB Storage/4GB RAM.
5.5" 1080p AMOLED Display.
3D Touch Display although I'm not sure what that entails.
16MP Rear Camera and 8MP Front-Facing Camera.
7000 Series Aluminum Body and Front Facing Fingerprint scanner.
3000 mAh Battery.

All priced at $300 and available today on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVV81NC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

tzare

Yes, I understand.

What I say is that hangouts has the advantage you don't need your phone to access through a PC. I know it's better to type on a keyboard on a PC than rather use a phone, but in Whatsapp the web interface needs you to use the phone first in order to activate it, so yes it's better than not having it but it will be way more useful (to me at least) to be able to use the web access without the phone.

oh yes, i agree. Hangouts is way more convenient, plus i can use it on other devices as well (tablet, other smartphones i use for example when doing sport). It is way better imo... and Allo won't probably be like hangouts, but a whatsapp clone , and that makes it kinda irrelevant unless provides nice new features... and i don't want to have many IM apps installed that may drain battery since use push services to be updated.

Top Bottom