• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Real talk seems like a better buy than the Honor 8. Like I you want to go cheaper get the Blu. If you want to pay a little more get a Snap 820 phone in either the Axon or the OP3. Honor seems sandwiched in between, and it has less storage than all 3.

Jeffrey

So Blu (Yeah I know) has unveiled their newest flagship phone the Pure XR. Pretty good specs for the cost and the price is really good although you are likely to never get updates. Also, I can't tell if it is lacking GSM bands or not which would be pretty weird since it is a GSM only phone.

Mediatek Helio P10.
64GB Storage/4GB RAM.
5.5" 1080p AMOLED Display.
3D Touch Display although I'm not sure what that entails.
16MP Rear Camera and 8MP Front-Facing Camera.
7000 Series Aluminum Body and Front Facing Fingerprint scanner.
3000 mAh Battery.

All priced at $300 and available today on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...NC?tag=at88-20

that processor competes with the SD 615 from a quick google. 3D touch on android is the same for all phones, because there is no google standard, expect it to only work with the BLU apps.

And Gorilla glass 3 in a $300 2016 phone? Should be 4 at the very least.

Everything else is 'fine', although, I'd question that if you are willing to spend $300 on a smartphone, why not save for a bit and get one of the $400 smartphones with much better specs?

Blitzhex

People in this XDA thread are doing research on N battery drain on the 6p. They've narrowed it down to Chrome and webview. Disabling chrome lowers the os/system drain by more than half.
Going to try it out soon. I'm getting 1 hour less SOT than MM with the same usage on N now, after a cache paryition wipe and some battery cycles.

this_guy

Real talk seems like a better buy than the Honor 8. Like I you want to go cheaper get the Blu. If you want to pay a little more get a Snap 820 phone in either the Axon or the OP3. Honor seems sandwiched in between, and it has less storage than all 3.

But the Honor is smaller at 5.2" and seems to have the best camera. I'm leaning towards Honor over Axon/OnePlus because of the size, but I'll wait to see what the new Nexus devices offer first.

$300 for a Blu phone is too much. That and Blu phones are never designed specifically for the US so their phones will be missing US LTE bands.

Vanillalite

But the Honor is smaller at 5.2" and seems to have the best camera. I'm leaning towards Honor over Axon/OnePlus because of the size, but I'll wait to see what the new Nexus devices offer first.

$300 for a Blu phone is too much. That and Blu phones are never designed specifically for the US so their phones will be missing US LTE bands.

That Kirin GPU is like 2 gens behind though. :/

Has Android Police posted their Honor 8 review yet? Following Ruddock's Twitter I know he complained about a lot of issues with the phone when he was using it so I'm curious what their thoughts are.

Vanillalite

Honor 8's problem is the mismatched CPU and GPU. CPU is like 2 gens ahead of the GPU.

So in turn you get mix matched performance on things.

this_guy

Since when did Sprint get Band 4, 12, 13, 17, and 30?

My bad you're right- I skimmed the analysis but didn't look at the chart.

The Kirin processor in the Honor 8 is fine. It won't bench as high as the Snapdragon in gpu tests, but all the reviews say it's fine for gaming (it's also pushing a 1080 screen not 1440 like other flagships). I'm more interested in day to day usage and web browsing where the Kirin is right there with other flagships.

Klocker

Hi completely new to Android, little help please...

my contact pictures that I assign through the phone are not staying and not syncing with my backup google account. If i add the picture through my pc on google account it appears on phone... contact syncing fails sometimes..

I have removed and added the backup account several time... any ideas?

Also how do I get text messages to appear on my windows 10 pc? Other app notifications appear but not texts

Asgaro

Only someone who truly hates themselves waits for a new Sony phone.

Lol, you definitely have a point since Sony has been awful the last few series.

However, they are the only one that provide sub 5" flagships. Otherwise I would have to consider Apple, whose closed platform and premium pricing I don't like at all.

(My hands are not out of the ordinary btw. Normal size. But I think one-handed usage is still very important and handy.
The problem with the Android UI is that lots of functionality sits at the top. If they would move everything to the bottom (bottom bar à la iOS for example) I would happily buy a 5" device.)

So Blu (Yeah I know) has unveiled their newest flagship phone the Pure XR. Pretty good specs for the cost and the price is really good although you are likely to never get updates. Also, I can't tell if it is lacking GSM bands or not which would be pretty weird since it is a GSM only phone.

Mediatek Helio P10.
64GB Storage/4GB RAM.
5.5" 1080p AMOLED Display.
3D Touch Display although I'm not sure what that entails.
16MP Rear Camera and 8MP Front-Facing Camera.
7000 Series Aluminum Body and Front Facing Fingerprint scanner.
3000 mAh Battery.

All priced at $300 and available today on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVV81NC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
For that price you could grab a ZUK Z2 which is outstanding.

FFP2

Do you guys know what "Risktool.Badpac.hak" is? Malwarebytes picked it up but I couldn't find anything when I googled it.

Noema

Crazy that a week ago we got the OTAs for some devices and the factory images for some devices and that's it. No other OTAs, no factory images for the 6 and 6p.

g0tm1lk

So the V20 has the solid navbar buttons just like the leaked honor P9 nougat firmware yet the nexus do not, am I missing something?

zewone

Is there a way the Wi-Fi quick toggle in Nougat to behave like the quick toggle in Marshmallow?

I liked just tapping it to turn Wi-Fi on and off. Now it pops up extra screens or requires extra input.

Groof

Is there a way the Wi-Fi quick toggle in Nougat to behave like the quick toggle in Marshmallow?

I liked just tapping it to turn Wi-Fi on and off. Now it pops up extra screens or requires extra input.
It does work like that, just not when fully expanded.

Dont know if this is the right thread but I'm in the US right now (i'm from germany) and it looks like I will be staying for at least another month so I need internet.

Does anyone know a good prepaid/pay as you go option for data only. I only found very expensive ones. Like 60$ a month. Is that what i will have to pay? I'm used to pay like 7€ for a gb of data and 300 free sms and mins a month in germany. Are there similar deals in the US?

I also read that the tmobile net isnt too good with european phones. I have a galaxy s4. Is that true?

Groof

So the V20 has the solid navbar buttons just like the leaked honor P9 nougat firmware yet the nexus do not, am I missing something?
Could also just be LG adding that in before hand. Keep in mind Samsung and LG started with edge to edge notification drop downs way before Nougat as well

Quixzlizx

Dont know if this is the right thread but I'm in the US right now (i'm from germany) and it looks like I will be staying for at least another month so I need internet.

Does anyone know a good prepaid/pay as you go option for data only. I only found very expensive ones. Like 60$ a month. Is that what i will have to pay? I'm used to pay like 7€ for a gb of data and 300 free sms and mins a month in germany. Are there similar deals in the US?

I also read that the tmobile net isnt too good with european phones. I have a galaxy s4. Is that true?

I don't know about the European phone part, but T-Mobile has a $30 for 100 min/unlimited text/unlimited data (first 5GB 4G) prepaid plan.

Looks like the HTC One A9S could be the best comparable look/feel we get of Sailfish. It's likely going to have the same display size and looks pretty much the same minus the changes on the back for Sailfish. Supposed to be unveiled on September 1st.

One-A9s.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hope Allo goes beyond phone number, as much as i'd love whatsapp performance for Hangouts, i will still use it since it is really convenient to use it on pc or tablet or other phones i use without any issues.
A phone number should be mandatory for Allo , but should also be able to have desktop and tablet support via email or verification code or whatever to have it in multiple devices.
Just like telegram, which is better than whatsapp in some ways, but isn't as mainstream as the former.
Maybe google can do it right now, but it is too late probably.
Agreed. But hey, gotta start somewhere. iOS launched with EDGE and no copy and paste.

Chris R

Looks like the HTC One A9S could be the best comparable look/feel we get of Sailfish. It's likely going to have the same display size and looks pretty much the same minus the changes on the back for Sailfish. Supposed to be unveiled on September 1st.

I think this is my next phone after seeing the latest nexus mockups :( How easy would it be to get it running a stock 7.x image without the HTC Sense garbage?

this_guy

I think this is my next phone after seeing the latest nexus mockups :( How easy would it be to get it running a stock 7.x image without the HTC Sense garbage?

Last year's model was specc'ed lower than Nexus devices but cost more. And the 15 day update promise was a lie.

XDA did a rebuttal article to verge rebuttal article of there original article about note 7 lackluster performance.

http://www.xda-developers.com/in-response-to-the-verge-why-we-fretted-about-the-note-7s-performance/

No clue why the verge editor got so angry about a performance tech forum writing a piece about the ... performance of a phone.

well the original XDA article said this

"and we’ve seen reviews ignore, year after year, clear, delimited, replicable and often universal performance issues with Samsung phones"

straight up called out reviewers for reviewing devices based on feel instead of writing reviews based on measurements such as their own.

i mean, this is highlighted in their response:

"Whether we notice it or not, the frames were dropped and the device stuttered"

bolded section by me.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Samsung has a problem with their skin. This problem only gets worse the longer you have the phone. Most reviewers ignore this, and in fact every year seems to bring new proclamations about how scaled back touchwiz is, only to be proven wrong over time. #Imwithxda

reKon

Banned
I wonder if I don't see this shit because I use Nova Launcher? The Galaxy S7 is my first Samsung phone with Touchwiz though...

If all consumers made smart purchases Samsung would be bankrupt.

The same could be said for Apple then, right? (assuming that I'm understanding your reasoning on why you're saying this..)

As soon as the real photos come out people will go wow it doesnt look near as bad as the shitty crops and mock ups on the internet. Just like every single year prior.

Vanillalite

Still contend my main issue is gonna be pricing. It's gonna be $600 for the big one I feel. Hope I'm wrong, but I haven't heard of anything that would make me not think this.

Jeffrey

"and we’ve seen reviews ignore, year after year, clear, delimited, replicable and often universal performance issues with Samsung phones"

straight up called out reviewers for reviewing devices based on feel instead of writing reviews based on measurements such as their own.

bolded section by me.

Ah. Makes sense.

Still weird that the Verge of all sites taking offense from this.

On a related note, whats with all android video reviews when they go over 'Android runs smooth on this', they always show them scroll up and down the multiswitcher carousel lol.

Apparently thats all that reviewers are looking for = smoothness!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

bolded section by me.
The XDA article is actually pretty reasonable, if you read it.

Still contend my main issue is gonna be pricing. It's gonna be $600 for the big one I feel. Hope I'm wrong, but I haven't heard of anything that would make me not think this.
Since when are you a big phone doge
It's the first Android phone ever that comes in two different sizes without compromising on specs somewhere. Except maybe battery mah.

The XDA article is actually pretty reasonable, if you read it.

Since when are you a big phone doge
It's the first Android phone ever that comes in two different sizes without compromising on specs somewhere. Except maybe battery mah.
its as reasonable as Digital Foundry calling out reviewers for saying Shadow of the Collosus is a great game instead of pointing out its shoddy framerate.

Top Bottom