• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The XDA article is actually pretty reasonable, if you read it.

Since when are you a big phone doge
It's the first Android phone ever that comes in two different sizes without compromising on specs somewhere. Except maybe battery mah.

My current phone is a 5.5" screen?

wilflare

if anything, I hope Allo will be more like Telegram.
it's faster, better backups, better history (new members added to the group chat can see the previous messages -you can set-)

Henrar

So, I've been thinking about going back to Android from iPhone 6 Plus. I wanted some high end device with good build quality and long battery life. What are my options? Currently I'm stuck between choosing Note 7 and HTC 10, although the second device is just available in 32GB variant (why does Asia only get all memory-rich variants -_-), which may not be enough for me (I know about microSD). Anything else to consider? Or should I wait for new Nexus and hope that HTC won't screw this up?

Aiii

So not worth it
Wtf my 6P has a bit of burn in on the top and bottom bars 😭

AMOLED is so great.

muh amoled

One note to this though, amoled suffers from temporary burn-in more than regular burn-in, meaning that you can essentially erase the burn in if you avoid the objects burned into it for a while. How you're gonna do that in this case is a whole other matter, of course.

My Huawei Watch does this all the time with watch faces, switching to another watch face erases whatever is burned into it after a few days.

That said, it could also be regular burn-in, of course.

snacknuts

we all knew her
So, I've been thinking about going back to Android from iPhone 6 Plus. I wanted some high end device with good build quality and long battery life. What are my options? Currently I'm stuck between choosing Note 7 and HTC 10, although the second device is just available in 32GB variant (why does Asia only get all memory-rich variants -_-), which may not be enough for me (I know about microSD). Anything else to consider? Or should I wait for new Nexus and hope that HTC won't screw this up?

A friend of mine has the HTC 10 and he really likes it.

LeleSocho

Banned
One note to this though, amoled suffers from temporary burn-in more than regular burn-in, meaning that you can essentially erase the burn in if you avoid the objects burned into it for a while. How you're gonna do that in this case is a whole other matter, of course.

My Huawei Watch does this all the time with watch faces, switching to another watch face erases whatever is burned into it after a few days.

That said, it could also be regular burn-in, of course.

That's not called burn in though but image retention.

Vanillalite

Coming Soon™

screenshot_2016-08-3094on5.png

I'm dying for Allo.

Right now I use hangouts for everything as a Fi customer and the continuity is starting to be annoying.

Allo will be my new way to send private texts.

HawkeyeIC

Is there any way to 'exclude' an app from Doze? That actually might not be the problem, but my e-mail client, Nine, isn't sending push notifications to my phone if it's just sitting on the desk for a while, so I'll think it's a slow day and then pick up my phone to do something else and I'll have 9 messages. I assume that it's doze causing this as things worked fine on M, but not N.

RuGalz

Is there any way to 'exclude' an app from Doze? That actually might not be the problem, but my e-mail client, Nine, isn't sending push notifications to my phone if it's just sitting on the desk for a while, so I'll think it's a slow day and then pick up my phone to do something else and I'll have 9 messages. I assume that it's doze causing this as things worked fine on M, but not N.

What email client do you use? If that's your suspect you can probably go to Battery's hamburger menu and select Battery Optimizations. Then show all apps, and remove the email app from being optimized.

jwhit28

I'm confused. If they can think of things they want to put on top of stock Android to improve the experience why not just put it in stock Android?

RuGalz

I'm confused. If they can think of things they want to put on top of stock Android to improve the experience why not just put it in stock Android?

If you want to develop new features quickly it's much faster to do it in your custom builds instead of having to make sure it works for the entire Android ecosystem. For instance, the multi window feature in Samsung phones.

rc213

So I don't see how these phones won't be $500-600+ since they're more likely to be carried by Service providers.

Glad I picked up an Axon 7 for now been happy with it since launch.

Vanillalite

So I don't see how these phones won't be $500-600+ since they're more likely to be carried by Service providers.

Glad I picked up an Axon 7 for now been happy with it since launch.

How is the WiFi? I've heard signal strength for WiFi can be iffy?

Jeffrey

Wonder how image retention/burn-in looks in VR.

Wonder why Google offer capacitive buttons on Nexus now that they are AMOLED?

Jeffrey

Urgh getting 'X is not responding' fairly often these days. I just have to wait a sec then press 'wait', but common Axon 7. I expect more outta ya.

rc213

How is the WiFi? I've heard signal strength for WiFi can be iffy?

Great, No noticeable difference from my Nexus 6P. It does seem to switch off from on access point to the next much much better than 6P.

Only nagging issues are software based and Double Click power for camera.

I hope there's a 5X fire sale when the new models hit. I really need a new phone and it's been a pain in the ass finding one that isn't shit or used.

Top Bottom