• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

I bought this one for my mom and it seems to still be working decently.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/blu-viv...ght-blue/4934004.p?id=bb4934004&skuId=4934004

Maybe BLU has a phone you'd be happy with from their lineup?

Hard to tell. Their lineup is a mess to figure out. My needs aren't even that picky or unreasonable. I just want something that's better than my four-year-old Nexus 4 at $200 (Canadian) or less. Mobile tech is moving too fast for there not be to a solid option here.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hangouts has been crashing quite a bit since I updated to 7.0. Never had this problem before.

clav

I'm confused. If they can think of things they want to put on top of stock Android to improve the experience why not just put it in stock Android?

Kinda like the Chromium vs. Chrome comparison.

They're not exactly the same, and now that philosophy will apply to Android (AOSP vs. Android).

Quasar

haha every year is the same and yet here we are.

My main concern is Google trying to price them like flagship phones (that and loss of the brandname that I love just as a name). That said I like the idea of seeing software crafted a little to match the hardware a little more. Of course for that you need hardware thats special, and not basically the same components everyone else uses.

On the other I suspect this is just so they can sell gimped carrier versions and I'd rather not see the nexus name tainted by that.

I'm just sad that if true they are dumping the brand name and little else. They still seem to be just taking tweaked phones from other oems. I would have much rather see they design their own and just get foxconn or whoever to make them.

No Love

Banned
Axon 7 by far the best Android phone I've ever used. The only knocks I can give it is that the battery life isn't as good as I want (yet) but a factory reset and not restoring app data should fix that. Call quality and audio quality overall is amazing. Call quality is so good it sounds like a landline phone, no joke.

Performance is stellar. No slowdown ever, everything is butter smooth and instant. And this is on a stock ROM so a custom ROM should be even better.

The capacitive buttons at the bottom are the weakest link. Too small and not lit up. Pretty small nitpick though.

Picking up a ZTE ZMax Pro today to test out. MetroPCS has a promo where you can get the phone for $40. Snapdragon 617, 2Gb RAM, 6" 1080p, 32GB + MicroSD, 3400mah, and a fucking fingerprint sensor for $40. Fucking insane. Should have some impressions tonight.

I have the Nexus 6 with Marshmallow still and I've been meaning to ask this: is there anyway to turn off the annoying facebook thing where it opens the articles in the app instead of Chrome? And speaking of Chrome, it does the same thing where it opens an article in a stupid simple browser version instead of the full Chrome one. So whenever I want to open an article on Facebook, I have to click Share -> Open in Browser -> Open in Chrome. It's a huge pain in the ass.

Axon 7 by far the best Android phone I've ever used. The only knocks I can give it is that the battery life isn't as good as I want (yet) but a factory reset and not restoring app data should fix that. Call quality and audio quality overall is amazing. Call quality is so good it sounds like a landline phone, no joke.

Performance is stellar. No slowdown ever, everything is butter smooth and instant. And this is on a stock ROM so a custom ROM should be even better.

The capacitive buttons at the bottom are the weakest link. Too small and not lit up. Pretty small nitpick though.

Picking up a ZTE ZMax Pro today to test out. MetroPCS has a promo where you can get the phone for $40. Snapdragon 617, 2Gb RAM, 6" 1080p, 32GB + MicroSD, 3400mah, and a fucking fingerprint sensor for $40. Fucking insane. Should have some impressions tonight.

I'm getting anywhere from 5 and a half hours of screen time to 6 and a half. What are you getting?

Noema

I have the Nexus 6 with Marshmallow still and I've been meaning to ask this: is there anyway to turn off the annoying facebook thing where it opens the articles in the app instead of Chrome? And speaking of Chrome, it does the same thing where it opens an article in a stupid simple browser version instead of the full Chrome one. So whenever I want to open an article on Facebook, I have to click Share -> Open in Browser -> Open in Chrome. It's a huge pain in the ass.

In the Facebook app, tap the Hamburger menu to the right, then App Settings. Then set "Links open Externally" to On.

That should do the trick.

redlegs87

I am so excited for tomorrow. Finally get my 5x and activating it on Fi. Already talked to Fi support through chat to make sure I do everything the right way best customer support for a phone company so far I've dealt with. Any tips or things I should do starting off on Project Fi or android as it's been years since I've regularly used a android phone?

Jeffrey

The speakers on the Axon 7 are... pretty great. Put them to the test today when doing chores in mom's old honda Odyssey which has no bluetooth or headphone input in. Could listen to podcasts perfectly clear when cruising around local roads.

time for Smartwatches to finally be not shit!!!

speaking of which, new 4.0 update for pebble Time family came out today. Some nice UI changes and speed improvements.

Google needs to go ahead and announce these new phones. Really tempted just to get a cheap 6P. My OPO is rock solid, buy I have the itch for something new and Axon 7 is a long ass wait.

xaosslug

i'm lookin' to upgrade from my Xperia Z3... what would y'all suggest? I play a lot of games on this thing, so the phone would need decent battery life, 4G LTE, & not run too hawt. :)

Jeffrey

i'm lookin' to upgrade from my Xperia Z3... what would y'all suggest? I play a lot of games on this thing, so the phone would need decent battery life, 4G LTE, & not run too hawt. :)

s7edge or note 7 have the best battery atm if you are will to pay the price.

xaosslug

s7edge or note 7 have the best battery atm if you are will to pay the price.

i don't mind the price. I usually keep my phone for 2-3 years anyway, so it's cool. :)

so, is the one with the Snapdragon or Exynos better? And do you have any idea what the model number is for whichever one works on Straight Talk/Net10?

tzare

did they fix the shitty notificacion thing on lock screen??
And how about the camera, since note 7 is a bit too expensive i may buy an axon 7 unless new nexuses are awesome. Almost 2 years with my Note 4, which i love, but the consumer inside me wants to buy a new phone...
Btw, any info about Nougat update for Axon 7?

Or maybe go for a S7 edge..but the edge screen is a bit too much for me, the Note 7 one is much better imo

even Google abandoned dry unseasoned stock android.

They've done that for a while now, adding shit like Google Fit that you need an Android smartwatch to use. Got no watch? Fuck you, you won't uninstall that app! Not much different from Apple forcing that Apple Watch app on every iPhone.

And no, my OnePlus 3 does not have Google Fit pre-installed on it so it's not part of the stuff Google is forcing on phones to let them have Play Store.

They've done that for a while now, adding shit like Google Fit that you need an Android smartwatch to use. Got no watch? Fuck you, you won't uninstall that app! Not much different from Apple forcing that Apple Watch app on every iPhone.

And no, my OnePlus 3 does not have Google Fit pre-installed on it so it's not part of the stuff Google is forcing on phones to let them have Play Store.

Same with Keep and other Google Doc apps. It's straight up bloat, but because it's from Google, it's okay. 👌

Jzero

adding shit like Google Fit that you need an Android smartwatch to use. Got no watch? Fuck you, you won't uninstall that app!

?
mQe7Z6N.jpg

Hydrargyrus

So no more phones with stock Android in one year (when 5x and 6p support ends)?

I'm waiting to see Sailfish (specially the price), but seems like this time the options will be OP3 or Axon 7, what do you recomend me?
Axon 7 is not available in my country at this time but I expect it to be soon...

Damn, I could have sworn that I couldn't delete the useless stuff they include with Nexus phones these days. I definitely remember Fit annoying me because I can exercise without silly apps and I couldn't get rid of it (Pokemon Go is much better at making you go outside lol). And I'm sure I remember it asking me for a smartwatch which I didn't have.

Maybe I got these apps mixed with Play Music and Play Movies, which definitely can't be deleted but they're also there on my OP3 as part of the "include this too if you want Play Store" package.

tzare

Asus has officially announced Zenwatch3. Seems a nice improvement over previous zenwatches, round shape, and is using the new Snapdragon processors for wearables.
I wonder how will it perform since almost all smartwatches are using SD400....

I am currently using a G Watch a friend has lent me to try, and it quite convenient , and while battery life is still an issue and lack of keyboard makes it a bit difficult to interact with, has convinced me to jump buy one when AW 2.0 is released... hopefully the google smartwatches will be affordable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXCfbMMka5M

pd. 229€ available in october

Jeffrey

i don't mind the price. I usually keep my phone for 2-3 years anyway, so it's cool. :)

so, is the one with the Snapdragon or Exynos better? And do you have any idea what the model number is for whichever one works on Straight Talk/Net10?

Do remember samsung phones do get sluggish after a year or so. Also... seems like note 7 has some issues.

uh, has anyone noticed that Note 7s are either exploding or bricking themselves or the pen getting stuck again?

Is the Note line cursed or something?

That's an ignorant ass response.

Sure, but is it wrong? I got 12 apps disabled on my phone, 6 of them are Google apps that I can't delete.

Chrome
Google Drive
Google Play Music
Google Play Movies
Hangouts
Gmail

It's just as bad as Instagram, which I can't delete, because it shipped with my phone. Or Word and Excel. I don't use it, I don't need it, I don't want it. Let me delete that shit.

I don't believe the Nexus line will be the end of stock android... I just think that they will probably name it something else. I really hate the idea of the Nexus ending as these are my favorite phones and I just refuse to have anything other than Stock android but I'm hoping that it's just renamed to Google X or something.. Idk.. Just don't kill stock android. Lots of people dislike it's barebone features but I like it like that with gradual update that add them...

This is stressful... Especially when the 6P is the best nexus phone to date.

Jeffrey

I don't believe the Nexus line will be the end of stock android... I just think that they will probably name it something else. I really hate the idea of the Nexus ending as these are my favorite phones and I just refuse to have anything other than Stock android but I'm hoping that it's just renamed to Google X or something.. Idk.. Just don't kill stock android. Lots of people dislike it's barebone features but I like it like that with gradual update that add them...

This is stressful... Especially when the 6P is the best nexus phone to date.

stock android will always exist as long as ASOP still exists. No reason to fret.

Top Bottom