• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

teiresias

To be honest, I only really care about the "stock" nature of the Nexus line insomuch as it means I get exceedingly timely system updates directly from Google. So long as whatever Nexus morphs into is still Google-controlled to the point where immediate (or nearly) OS updates come for it without a carrier or 3rd party manufacturer middleman making the process take months, then I will be content I think. It's not like Google's own UI design language will change because of this.

That's an ignorant ass response.

No shit. He should just go work for Kirt McMaster

This is stressful... Especially when the 6P is the best nexus phone to date.

Huh? Nothing is going to change. People like the Nexus devices because of the clean os and fast updates and it will be exactly the same with the new phones.

This is just a way for Google to now differentiate the "Nexus/Gooogle" devices from other Android devices.

If anything this is a much better situation since google is putting more care into the phones. The worst part of the nexus devices is that they were starting from scratch every year. For the first time we may have a more iterative approach like Apple and Samsung.

Noema

The 'stock Android' label is becoming increasingly meaningless, anyway, unless 'stock' simply means AOSP. Google has gradually been severing more and more pieces of Android (or at least, Google's Android) from AOSP. As each version of Android gets released, more and more processes and APIs get untethered and get linked to either the Play Store or Google Play Services. System UI is next up on the chopping block.

Which makes sense given the horrendous state of fragmentation in the Android landscape (more devices are running Kit Kat today than Marshmallow. Kit Kat is 3 years old) so that way Google can ensure maximum compatibility for the apps that matter, but also it's a way of wielding as much power as possible over the experience by divorcing it from its open source roots.

In that sense the Google Android experience is just another interpretation of AOSP just like Touchwiz, not the 'Vanilla' pure experience we've been calling what ships on Nexus phones. If you want vanilla Android, you'll have to build it yourself and experience the increasingly barren wasteland of AOSP apps.

The genie is out of the bottle so Google can't undo the open source heart of Android, but I'm not sure if that's the path they'd follow if they were to do it again.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Probably would have tried to go with some form of BSD instead of Nix for licensing.

Either way they would need a starting point. There is a reason even mega companies like Google don't just create their own kernels for shit all the time.

No shit. He should just go work for Kirt McMaster

I had to look that guy up and now you hurt my feelings, osiris.

But let me assure you, that it's not all black and white. Just because I want to remove Google's bloat from my phones, it doesn't mean that I hate them. Just like it doesn't mean that you work for Google or a Google company, just because you defend them so hard at every opportunity.

And now come here and let me give you a hug.

I had to look that guy up and now you hurt my feelings, osiris.

But let me assure you, that it's not all black and white. Just because I want to remove Google's bloat from my phones, it doesn't mean that I hate them. Just like it doesn't mean that you work for Google or a Google company, just because you defend them so hard at every opportunity.

And now come here and let me give you a hug.

Funny. Speaking of defending google. What the hell happened to NotBacon?

Jeffrey

Nubia bringing their flagship to the US and europe next month.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/8/31/12730434/the-nubia-z11-america-europe-release

5.5-inch 1080p display
Snapdragon 820 SoC
Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 with Nubia UI 4.0
16MP rear camera, 8MP front camera with a wide-angle lens
Dual SIM, VoLTE, fingerprint sensor, hifi sound
3000mAh battery with fast charging

z11.0.jpeg

4gb ram 64gb storage, 6gb ram 128gb storage.

A bit pricey, but its cool that China is invading america full force. Competition is better for the consumers.

And more note 7 woes.

http://www.androidauthority.com/sam...pments-korea-possibly-due-fire-hazard-713668/

Jeffrey

Nubia-Z11-Hands-on-11-1200x800.jpg

I like the minimal bezels, but yeah, I'm reading impressions and I'm not seeing why this ZTE backed phone is priced higher than the axon 7, with lower resolution screen, and single bottom speaker?

OS seems more custom weirdness than the relatively light changes Axon 7 has.

Jeffrey

The unlocked Moto Z Play will be available for $449.99 or for €499.

lmao.

SD625 and 3gb of ram 1080p.

Wasn't last year's Moto x pure cheaper and more powerful and higher res and better speakers?

Oh, but motomods.

3,510 mah battery is nice but everything else... Lenovo what are you doing.

No Love

Banned
I'm getting anywhere from 5 and a half hours of screen time to 6 and a half. What are you getting?

About 4 hours? I haven't measured it fully. I never drain the battery below 20% and charge it randomly.

did they fix the shitty notificacion thing on lock screen??
And how about the camera, since note 7 is a bit too expensive i may buy an axon 7 unless new nexuses are awesome. Almost 2 years with my Note 4, which i love, but the consumer inside me wants to buy a new phone...
Btw, any info about Nougat update for Axon 7?

Or maybe go for a S7 edge..but the edge screen is a bit too much for me, the Note 7 one is much better imo

The notification "issue" is so overblown, typical forum crybaby shit. It's a fucking button that hides the notifications but 90% of the time you're using the fingerprint sensor... Plus it's not a big deal to tap the bell to see notifications. Just a bunch of OCD babies that need their diapers changed crying about something inconsequential. Plus there are ways around it.

The camera is good but I feel like the software needs to be updated and the focus needs to be tweaked. My LG G4 focused way better.

Jeffrey

yeah, I've seen the lock screen rarely these days ever since i got a phone with a fingerprint sensor.

ZTE did mention this notification bell thing will be a option toggle in an upcoming update.

So what we assumed. It's basically a over clock or higher clock rebranded as the 821.

You don't gain power efficiency by just turning up the clock. I really doubt that 5% gain is from tasks finishing faster.

Also i saw geekbench scores and it was a 14 - 15% score improvement for cpu so thats good.

Noema

If the Moto Z Play had an SD652 and went for $400 it'd actually be an interesting contender at that price range.

As it stands it's just DOA. There's absolutely no reason to ever even consider this phone in a world where the OP3, Axon 7, Honor 8 and Idol 4 exist. They are all better phones that cost less.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
New Zenpad. @AndroidPolice: Asus announces the ZenPad 3S 10 with a 2048x1536 9.7-inch display, 5.3mm bezels https://t.co/3JCfTSwRsL

No thanks.

No Allo.

Vanillalite

You don't gain power efficiency by just turning up the clock. I really doubt that 5% gain is from tasks finishing faster.

Also i saw geekbench scores and it was a 14 - 15% score improvement for cpu so thats good.

I figure there probably are a few other random under the hood changes, but this info is right in line with Anandtech's earlier article.

Keep in mind the 820 was the first of the new CPU arch. So it started out relatively low compared to where the last arch ended up with the 805.

The Nexus 6 was clocked at 2.7GHz compared to 2.26GHz for the Nexus 5. The LG G3 was at 2.45GHz.

It's no surprise if they get a similar uptick from current 820 devices like the GS7 clocked at 2.15GHz.

Keep in mind I'm with the current Anandtech article about the efficiency. I'm not sure if they mean power consumption, overall SoC efficiency, or they mean the power efficient 2 core cluster.

I mean if you check the clocks it's the power cluster that got a huge 600MHz bump.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10616/qualcomm-details-snapdragon-821-clocks-efficiency-and-ip

What throws me is the VR SDK deal. Is that new for the 821? Is it also for the 820? Any reason why it wouldn't work on both seeing as the hardware is relatively the same other clocks?

Vanillalite

Not sure what folks were expecting with the 821, looks like a decent refresh to the 820 for the holiday season.

Oh it's fine. It's what I expected. Higher clocks on the same chip.

Biggest thing will be for apps that are more single threaded. Getting that clock up helps a lot vs wishful thinking that they will make great use of multiple cores/multithreading

Vanillalite

So I wonder how well Android DayDream is gonna run. I mean rumor is it has to be on a QHD 820 device.

I wonder if it'll be smooth or if this will be sorta round 1 still janky needing to wait for the 830 or beyond to smooth out issues.

Jeffrey

So I wonder how well Android DayDream is gonna run. I mean rumor is it has to be on a QHD 820 device.

I wonder if it'll be smooth or if this will be sorta round 1 still janky needing to wait for the 830 or beyond to smooth out issues.
I assume its gonna be like PSVR where googleplay 'daydream certified apps' will have some sort of performance requirement for day dream certified devices.

Top Bottom