• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Furyous

Sony-Xperia-X-Compact_4.jpg

Sony-Xperia-XZ_2.jpg

I need Daydream compatibility on every device from Sony over $500. Now come with stock Nougat, an IR blaster, wireless charging, and two day battery life.

did they fix the shitty notificacion thing on lock screen??
And how about the camera, since note 7 is a bit too expensive i may buy an axon 7 unless new nexuses are awesome. Almost 2 years with my Note 4, which i love, but the consumer inside me wants to buy a new phone...
Btw, any info about Nougat update for Axon 7?

Or maybe go for a S7 edge..but the edge screen is a bit too much for me, the Note 7 one is much better imo

The bell is still there but the team has said they know we don't like it. The camera is good in normal conditions but so so in low light conditions meaning it gets grainy. They said awhile back it would get Nougat this year and they want to be one of the first to put it out.

redlegs87

Oh man the 5X is freaking sweet. Getting my number transferred to Fi wasn't to bad though I did contact my other carrier to have them respond sooner to the port request. The finger print sensor is just damn awesome so fast. Very glad I came back to android!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I need Daydream compatibility on every device from Sony over $500. Now come with stock Nougat, an IR blaster, wireless charging, and two day battery life.

DayDreams problem is Google understanding the screen door effect is real so they are trying to make it QHD standard.

That cuts out a ton of phones that want to go 1080p especially on smaller devices.

That being said over $500 is basically big phone territory so I'd expect QHD.

Jeffrey

wonder if Sony will figure out fingerprint sensors in the US.

also the overheating issues... the Compact gonna be interesting.

Quasar

Sure, but is it wrong? I got 12 apps disabled on my phone, 6 of them are Google apps that I can't delete.

Chrome
Google Drive
Google Play Music
Google Play Movies
Hangouts
Gmail

It's just as bad as Instagram, which I can't delete, because it shipped with my phone. Or Word and Excel. I don't use it, I don't need it, I don't want it. Let me delete that shit.

Maybe you should be using a non google certified android phone then.

I figure there probably are a few other random under the hood changes, but this info is right in line with Anandtech's earlier article.

Keep in mind the 820 was the first of the new CPU arch. So it started out relatively low compared to where the last arch ended up with the 805.

The Nexus 6 was clocked at 2.7GHz compared to 2.26GHz for the Nexus 5. The LG G3 was at 2.45GHz.

It's no surprise if they get a similar uptick from current 820 devices like the GS7 clocked at 2.15GHz.

Keep in mind I'm with the current Anandtech article about the efficiency. I'm not sure if they mean power consumption, overall SoC efficiency, or they mean the power efficient 2 core cluster.

I mean if you check the clocks it's the power cluster that got a huge 600MHz bump.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10616/qualcomm-details-snapdragon-821-clocks-efficiency-and-ip

What throws me is the VR SDK deal. Is that new for the 821? Is it also for the 820? Any reason why it wouldn't work on both seeing as the hardware is relatively the same other clocks?

The power cluster bump scares me. Don't fuck up battery life any more Qualcomm

No Love

Banned
ZTE ZMax Pro is fucking mindblowing. Want it for $60? Port in your number to MetroPCS from any non-Tmob carrier and get $40 off.

Anyways, there's absolutely no reason to buy any other phone for under $200 with this around. Phone doesn't feel budget at all, smooth as fuck, battery life is insane, screen is big and quality is good. You can get it unlocked for $5. Even the camera is pretty damn decent.

Budget phone GAF, your savior has arrived. You can get awesome specs for less than $100. The phone feels and looks solid. The 6" screen is epic. Honestly if I wasn't a demanding enthusiast I'd daily drive it in a heartbeat. That being said, I'm definitely getting one to use as my other phone. It is by far the best bang for the buck ever seen on an Android.

ZTe has gone from zero to hero in one year. They released a $400 phone that beats $850, phones and a $100 phone that beats $200-300 phones. It's shocking. Really, don't sleep on their phones.

Aiii

So not worth it
I hope they don't announce a new pair of over-ear headphones. I only just replaced my MDR-1ABT's with MDR-100ABN's two weeks ago.

-edit: yet they did, oh well, Android.

Asgaro

The XZ is waterproof, while the 4.6" munchkin this time doesn't come with the latest and greatest Snapdragon, but will apparently be offered at a "midrange price," which for Sony could mean anything in the $450-$550 realm. The Xperia XZ, on the other hand, will be commanding "flagship" tag, so you can expect the price to hover around the $600+ mark.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-XZ-and-X-Compact-price-and-release-dates_id84763

What? No 820 for the X Compact?

theycan'tkeepgettingawaywiththis.gif

edit: It's a 650.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-X-Compact-hands-on_id84731

edit: Maybe not that bad IF it means splendid battery life.
I read the 650 comes close to the 810's performance? That's good.

vivftp

Saddened that Sony didn't unveil a new Premium or flagship Ultra variant. Was pondering an upgrade from my Z Ultra, but I guess I'll hold out to see what comes next year.

Mokubba

The improvements to the software sounds great but I was expecting another premium phone with 4K.

Looks like I'll be sticking to my Z2 for the time being.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-XZ-and-X-Compact-price-and-release-dates_id84763

What? No 820 for the X Compact?

theycan'tkeepgettingawaywiththis.gif

edit: It's a 650.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-X-Compact-hands-on_id84731

edit: Maybe not that bad IF it means splendid battery life.
I read the 650 comes close to the 810's performance? That's good.

No it's comparable to the 808 I believe.

The Huawei phones seem meh. No microSD with only 32GB storage and a SD 625. Yuck.

Hmm seems a source says it has microSD and one says it doesn't. Which is true?

Aiii

So not worth it
The improvements to the software sounds great but I was expecting another premium phone with 4K.

Looks like I'll be sticking to my Z2 for the time being.

Can't even sufficiently justify the 4K resolution on my 48" TV, why would you need it on a phone? The 2K on my 6P is more than enough and even there you can have a debate if you need it.

vivftp

This baffles me cause they still put the sensor on there don't they?

Also I really like the design of the new xperia

I don't think they've ever explicitly said why they don't activate the fingerprint sensor in the US. I can only guess it has to do with patent related matters. Maybe they'd have to pay a premium to someone to use the tech in the US and decided it wasn't cost effective?

Dunno... just glad the tech is active in Canadian units. Now, they just need to release one that I want to upgrade to!

Mokubba

Can't even sufficiently justify the 4K resolution on my 48" TV, why would you need it on a phone? The 2K on my 6P is more than enough and even there you can have a debate if you need it.

I don't need it and even the Z5 premium's screen only displays in 4K if you have content that's in that resolution like a picture or video. I don't see anything wrong with having that option.

Also the Z5 premium had a slightly larger body so it had a better battery which I'm after since my Z2 comes with 3200mah and I want something with the same battery performnance.

If Sony's not going to make any more premium variants then XZ will be fine as an upgrade.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
There seems to be more shit dropping at IFA than MWC

Anyways so we got the Sony, HTC, and Huawei while we slept.

Only the Sony seems worth while, and even then not sure if worth for the NA market with the gimped features compared to Europe and Asia.

Next up Samsung? If IFA comes and goes without a Tab S3 announcement I'm be pissed.

There seems to be more shit dropping at IFA than MWC

Anyways so we got the Sony, HTC, and Huawei while we slept.

Only the Sony seems worth while, and even then not sure if worth for the NA market with the gimped features compared to Europe and Asia.

Next up Samsung? If IFA comes and goes without a Tab S3 announcement I'm be pissed.

will they really do another announcement after they already did their Gear S3 reveal this week?

reKon

Banned
Not sure why people here care about Sony phones so much still after what they've done with last year's line up. Unless they became battery life kings, why do you give a fuck? They keep setting the price too high on their off contract prices and are getting killed here. The US version of 'their phones still don't have fingerprint technology. I'm not sure why I keep seeing their phones being mentioned as if they were expected to make a huge comeback.

This is coming from an Xperia Z3 Compact owner btw, which I believe one of the best phones of all time.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I think because some of us (myself included) want Sony to be a major player. I mean, why can't they? It's frustrating to see them constantly stumbling when they A) provide sensors to other OEMs that do it better B) capable of stunning design C) could be innovative, but don't do shit.

Sony's like the flunkie in the back of the class that could do better, and is probably smarter than everyone else.

Then again, the last decent phone they made was the Z3, so maybe I'm crazy for thinking the above

Jeffrey

I remember when Sony was the hot shit in china back when i visited in 2013 or so. now its all about chinese phones.

I still like how Sony makes uniquely designed phones that look different from your typical HTC look alikes the rest of the android industry. Shame the problems.

I think because some of us (myself included) want Sony to be a major player. I mean, why can't they? It's frustrating to see them constantly stumbling when they A) provide sensors to other OEMs that do it better B) capable of stunning design C) could be innovative, but don't do shit.

Sony's like the flunkie in the back of the class that could do better, and is probably smarter than everyone else.

Then again, the last decent phone they made was the Z3, so maybe I'm crazy for thinking the above

Sony has never been a major player in the US though. It's not like HTC who had at one point, a top dog in the Android space which you can cling on to and hope. No fingerprint scanner = DOA in the USA.

reKon

Banned

As soon as they lost out on the battery life battle, still including just 3 GB of ram, and consistently not putting in fingerprint tech in their US versions, it was over for me. Not to mention the pricing is still fucking ridiculous compared to other 1080p phones on the market that I can get for $400 or less. Even on the camera, it's behind the top players. They keep pricing their flagship like it is a top player and haven't released anything special since the Z3 line up. The Xperia Compact line no longer is special anymore.

The only thing that's guaranteed from Sony phones that's better than most is the near stock rom experience. My Xperia Z3 Compact is snappier than my Galaxy S7. My Galaxy S7 is still buttery smooth, though so I don't really care and it's better in everything else, except for battery life, which many phones won't be the Z3 Compact in.

DrFunk

I agree, the no fingerprint scanner thing in the US is baffling. especially when it can be activated with a firmware flash. It just reeks of not giving a shit

vivftp

I agree, the no fingerprint scanner thing in the US is baffling. especially when it can be activated with a firmware flash. It just reeks of not giving a shit

I recall some statements not too long ago that Sony Mobile planned to scale back focus on North America. If they did have to pay additional fees to use the fingerprint sensor tech in the US, I suppose that means they won't be doing it for the foreseeable future. Still, just funny that we get the tech here in Canada, but the US doesn't. How much more could it really cost them to license the tech there?

DrFunk

I recall some statements not too long ago that Sony Mobile planned to scale back focus on North America. If they did have to pay additional fees to use the fingerprint sensor tech in the US, I suppose that means they won't be doing it for the foreseeable future. Still, just funny that we get the tech here in Canada, but the US doesn't. How much more could it really cost them to license the tech there?

/shrug

Not for nothing, but neither the XZ or Xperia X compact are coming to canada: http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/09/01/sonys-compact-series-is-back-but-not-coming-to-canada/

Jeffrey

It's not like Sony passes the savings to the users. Give me the flagship Sony stuff for $400 without fingerprint scanner.

Top Bottom