• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Asgaro

Things are getting heated lol.

gNmS2Qv.png

vivftp

Things are getting heated lol.

lol, who're those people?

I remember watching videos comparing the actual user experience with apps between the Xperia X and the Galaxy S7 and in many/most cases the Xperia was the winner with smoother performance. Based on that alone I don't think there will be many complaints about performance with the new Compact.

longdi

Banned
Half expecting Sony to match up with the big brands (SD820, 4GB, 32GB, 3000mah etc), half optimistically expecting Sony to blow me away (SD821, 6GB, 64GB, 3600mah, 1080p HDR screen)

In the end, it was the same shit. XZ is like XPerf with bigger screen and new camera features. X Compact is a joke on Compact fans.

I swear Sony has oem their new Xperia design to a cheap Japanese third party and slapping the Sony brand onto them.

Come next year, when they financial report on the mobile div, are they going act surprised when Xperia sales tanked? Are they going to blame tougher competition when they themselves failed to turn up?

Get Kaz on the line and fire this useless mobile head! In fact, just close down Xperia and divert the budget to Playstation, Bravia and Alphas, these places are heating up with Sony actually putting up a fight.

vivftp

What a joke, the z3c is still king of compact phones.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but other than the lack of waterproofing in what way is the new Compact inferior? I'm going by what I've been reading elsewhere, but shouldn't performance on this new unit be better?

reKon

Banned
Why are we still talking about Sony phones? Lol..

You know the funny thing though. A lot of people here seem to care about Android tablets again when a year ago, it seemed like I was the only one talking about them.

Also, when Sony does make tablets, they end up being really fucking great so that could have been a discussion point in this thread. Too bad the dream would have been killed with their insane pricing. An updated Z3 Compact Tablet and Z4 tablet would have slayed though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Why are we still talking about Sony phones? Lol..

You know the funny thing though. A lot of people here seem to care about Android tablets again when a year ago, it seemed like I was the only one talking about them.

Also, when Sony does make tablets, they end up being really fucking great so that could have been a discussion point in this thread. Too bad the dream would have been killed with their insane pricing. An updated Z3 Compact Tablet and Z4 tablet would have slayed though.

Nexus 7 finally hit end of life, and I'm ready for a spec upgrade. Last year I was willing to ride it out on last gen like performance.

diaspora

My problem with tablets in a more general sense is that my Surface Pro 3 murdered any chance in me putting down $200+ on a new device despite the Surface's heft.

Mindwipe

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but other than the lack of waterproofing in what way is the new Compact inferior? I'm going by what I've been reading elsewhere, but shouldn't performance on this new unit be better?

Doesn't shoot 4K video. Bottom bezel is bigger making it harder to type. We'll have to see on the camera stuff.

The Z3C is showing it's age a bit, but there were still a lot of people who found it smoother overall than the Z5C. It's not clear this will be much better.

this_guy

Even if Sony does come out with a nice phone it's going to be priced too high. I can't see them competing price wise with OnePlus/ZTE/Huawei.

Half expecting Sony to match up with the big brands (SD820, 4GB, 32GB, 3000mah etc), half optimistically expecting Sony to blow me away (SD821, 6GB, 64GB, 3600mah, 1080p HDR screen)

In the end, it was the same shit. XZ is like XPerf with bigger screen and new camera features. X Compact is a joke on Compact fans.

I swear Sony has oem their new Xperia design to a cheap Japanese third party and slapping the Sony brand onto them.

Come next year, when they financial report on the mobile div, are they going act surprised when Xperia sales tanked? Are they going to blame tougher competition when they themselves failed to turn up?

Get Kaz on the line and fire this useless mobile head! In fact, just close down Xperia and divert the budget to Playstation, Bravia and Alphas, these places are heating up with Sony actually putting up a fight.

Between Apple and Samsung hogging the high end, and the Chinese companies destroying what margins remain below, there is nothing left for Sony. They are only in mobile to serve the domestic Japanese market where the Chinese and Korean brands are disliked. No one at Sony cares nor should they.

This is also why Motorola was dying and HTC is dead.

Jeffrey

Huawei makes nice phones. But they need to clean up that UI and stop trying to be iPhone like for countries that aren't China.

isn't the upcoming 5.0 update to EMUI suppose to be more stockish android feel?

There isn't anything inherently bad about iPhone 'feel'.

Heck, having a UI similar to iOS probably better to get people to switch off iPhone.

Have a Premium feeling phone with a familiar interface for half the price or lower of a new iphone. Seems like a good deal to sell to the majority.

Only nerds care about AOSP anyways, or the top android manufacturers would all be doing stock android.

this_guy

isn't the upcoming 5.0 update to EMUI suppose to be more stockish android feel?

There isn't anything inherently bad about iPhone 'feel'.

Heck, having a UI similar to iOS probably better to get people to switch off iPhone.

Have a Premium feeling phone with a familiar interface for half the price or lower of a new iphone. Seems like a good deal to sell to the majority.

Only nerds care about AOSP anyways, or the top android manufacturers would all be doing stock android.

Hopefully emui 5.0 does become closer to stock. Not having an app drawer can be fixed by changing launchers, but all the reviews for Honor 8 complain about the notification screen (swiping might move you over to quick toggles instead of swiping away notifications). Their hardware and pricing is great however.

kaiyo

I want my xperias tyvm.

vivftp

I want my xperias tyvm.

Preach. If my Z Ultra only had one of the improved camera modules and stereo front firing speakers I wouldn't have a desire to upgrade for many more years to come. It's just that damn good of a phone. That's why I'm still holding out hope that they'll eventually make a flagship level Ultra variant again and not skimp on any specs.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Furyous

What's the difference between the 650 and 652? For Sony's sake the Z5C cannot outperform the XXC. The Z5C has the better video performance and processor working for it but benchmarks will show the difference.

Top Bottom