• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Noema

nGs9CZw.gif

this_guy

When Allo launches, are we going to form a GAF Allo group? That way when none of our friends use it at least we have each other.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
When Allo launches, are we going to form a GAF Allo group? That way when none of our friends use it at least we have wach other.

I assume the Android GAF hangout will try Allo. Then Android GAF part 2 that went to GroupMe might try jt too. Lol

I like the Pixel brand name. I think it sounds better than Nexus and will be a good brand name to build upon. I am kind of associating it with the "i" device in a way, but I really like the idea of a name like Pixel Phone and then Pixel Tablet/Book to distinguish the two instead of just having Nexus followed by a number or whatever. I know that's probably not what they are doing and they'll probably just use "Pixel" period, but that's one way to look at it.

Jeffrey

wonder who in marketing signed off on that

The industry has spend so much years telling me that 'big pixels are bad, buy the high resolution super phone/tv/monitor/tablet'.

Now, hey wanna buy the Pixel XL?

Pixel is a decent name and premium hardware us a good thing if it is. Sick of cheap nexus shit.

Going to miss the nexus name though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I like the name Pixel but the XL is dumb. Google has no fucking class. What is it, a Burger King Whopper combo option?

They gonna post that shit tonight or in the morning. Kinda late to drop bams.
Pwnt

CronoShot

Using the Pixel name pretty much confirms they're expensive.

I'm guessing a starting price of 499 for Pixel and 599 for Pixel XL.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wonder how Pixel C fit into that naming scheme.

Wonder if this also all but confirms that Nexus devices will not be receiving the new Google Launcher/Software that these phones will launch with. It seems like they are distinguishing them away from Nexus so I wouldn't be surprised if they just lock the new software behind the Pixel brand.

Bboy AJ

Taking this Nexus 6P to the grave.

I'm only upgrading my Nexus 6P if the Pixel phone has a light bar my EDM playlists can move to the beat to.

No Love

Banned
Bring on the premium Nexus phones. Probably pick up one of those if it's as good as the Axon 7. Damn shame that their audio DACs won't be nearly as good though.

As long as they allow custom ROMs and encourage modding ala Nexus, I'm in. And please have a 128GB model.

Vanillalite

Bring on the premium Nexus phones. Probably pick up one of those if it's as good as the Axon 7. Damn shame that their audio DACs won't be nearly as good though.

As long as they allow custom ROMs and encourage modding ala Nexus, I'm in. And please have a 128GB model.

It'll be better than the Axon 7 in terms of software especially. It's also gonna cost $200+ more and you might only be getting 32gigs for the base model.

So yeah...

Admodieus

All I want out of this new Google-focused phone hardware push is a good accessory ecosystem. I want charger docks that are USBC-compliant with fast charging.

nothing about the new nexus/pixel from the leaks scream premium though.

They are made of aluminum and a small piece of glass.

They are most likely going to use the newest and most expensive Qualcomm chipset.

They have amoled displays.

What is not premium about them?

Jeffrey

They are made of metal and a small piece of glass.

They are most likely going to use the newest and most expensive chipset.

$60 phones are made of metal and shit these days.

I guess something about the huge empty bezels are screaming 'budget' as in we can't bother R&Ding a solution to make those useful (front speakers, capacitive buttons etc), or getting rid of it.

Jeffrey

So if Google is moving away from 'stock' android on the Pixel, wonder whats gonna be the hook/gimmick/etc?

We know there is the 'nexus launcher', but I'm gonna assume there will be some unique features software wise too?

Toki767

Am I the only one that thinks Google is using Pixel instead of Nexus because they've basically used up every number from 1 to 10 for the Nexus line already?

Aside from Nexus 2 and Nexus 3 at least.

$60 phones are made of metal and shit these days.

I guess something about the huge empty bezels are screaming 'budget' as in we can't bother R&Ding a solution to make those useful (front speakers, capacitive buttons etc), or getting rid of it.

Capacitive buttons are a choice not premium.

Bezels don't make a phone budget. The stuff I listed up top does. There is no perfect phone but if the parts are expensive its probably a premium device.

Vanillalite

10/4 is late though. I can see why the rumor was 7.1 preinstalled. That could be Nov by time the phones hit the market.

Also people who got the Axon or OP3 got a steal. Especially if they got them in the first wave.

Top Bottom