• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Reuters is reporting that Project ARA has been shelved. Previously the developer edition of the phone was supposed to launch later this year, but I guess Google just wants to focus on Pixel.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-google-smartphone-idUSKCN11806C
Garbage idea, anyway.

Am I the only one that thinks Google is using Pixel instead of Nexus because they've basically used up every number from 1 to 10 for the Nexus line already?

Aside from Nexus 2 and Nexus 3 at least.
Haha that's true

10/4 is late though. I can see why the rumor was 7.1 preinstalled. That could be Nov by time the phones hit the market.

Also people who got the Axon or OP3 got a steal. Especially if they got them in the first wave.

Sometimes Google does announcement and sale date the same day. I remember ordering my Nexus 5 the second it was announced.

Droid life did rumor that Oct 4th is the Verizon release date.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hope they just do a press release and store link immediately.

Sometimes Google does announcement and sale date the same day. I remember ordering my Nexus 5 the second it was announced.

Droid life did rumor that Oct 4th is the Verizon release date.

They put them up for sale the same day, but most of the time they don't ship for 2-3 weeks. People weren't getting 5X and 6P last year until the end of October.

No Love

Banned
Also people who got the Axon or OP3 got a steal. Especially if they got them in the first wave.

Yeah the Axon is a great phone but the camera app needs an update ASAP because my LG G4 camera was much better IMO. That's kind of a big deal because I use the camera a lot. Amazing audio vs amazing camera... Wish I had both.

LG V20 here I come?

Jeffrey

Yeah the Axon is a great phone but the camera app needs an update ASAP because my LG G4 camera was much better IMO. That's kind of a big deal because I use the camera a lot. Amazing audio vs amazing camera... Wish I had both.

LG V20 here I come?

LG is a toss up in build quality and funky software these days. People not happy with g5

Ha Google opinion rewards gave me a okie doke survey of 3 questions

1st question asked about StarCraft
2md one ok if I'm a registered voter
3rs am I Democrat or Republican

Asgaro

"Pixel"...?

Sorry, but that's way too geeky. If they want to get more sales, they should go non-geeky.
Samsung's Galaxy name is well chosen when you think about it.

Response of people when I say I have a Pixel:

0txa5B6.gif

Protome

"Pixel"...?

Sorry, but that's way too geeky. If they want to get more sales, they should go non-geeky.
Samsung's Galaxy name is well chosen when you think about it.

Response of people when I say I have a Pixel:

0txa5B6.gif

Nexus phones have alway primarily been for developers. Makes sense to lean in the geeky naming for them.

Saiyan-Rox

I ran a burn-in fix app for 16 hours on my 6P and both bars on mine are still present.

Guess the damage is already done :( its one of those when you see it you can't unsee it things.

Also those apps imo don't usually work like the stuck pixels ones.

10/4 is late though. I can see why the rumor was 7.1 preinstalled. That could be Nov by time the phones hit the market.

It's not that late, the Nexus 5 was announced and released on the 31st October. Looking at my emails here from the time, my phone was shipped on the 1st November.

No Love

Banned
LG is a toss up in build quality and funky software these days. People not happy with g5

I'm not too worried about it considering the V10 had awesome build quality. Also, the specs look like what the Note 7 should've been. 4000 mAh battery? Sigh me up.

Well just like my 6P the status bar is starting to burn into my OP3 display....I love and hate AMOLED

One thing that might help is if you use Lightning Browser and do full screen browser that hides the status bar. It looks awesome too.

Half an inch of difference doesn't really deserve an "XL" after its name. More like L. Should have just gone with 6".

I want some 10" or higher tablets now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's not that late, the Nexus 5 was announced and released on the 31st October. Looking at my emails here from the time, my phone was shipped on the 1st November.

Nexus 5 hardware was seriously ahead of the curve though. Nobody other than LG had an 800 device.

Pixel hardware seems to be just a slightly better version of what everyone else already released this year. So the longer they take to release the closer we get to next year's 830.

Saiyan-Rox

I'm not too worried about it considering the V10 had awesome build quality. Also, the specs look like what the Note 7 should've been. 4000 mAh battery? Sigh me up.

One thing that might help is if you use Lightning Browser and do full screen browser that hides the status bar. It looks awesome too.

Tbh i'm thinking of flashing a custom ROM that auto hides the status bar on every screen I can't remember what the mode is called atm. Hopefully it'll help.

What do we all think about stock android being a thing of the past? I mean will we still refer to the pixel devices as stock? I guess it all depends if all the nexus devices get the new soiftware and assistant swell later on....I mean the pixel c should at least.

Quasar

Nexus phones have alway primarily been for developers. Makes sense to lean in the geeky naming for them.

Though it makes me wonder why change the name then? Especially given it seems the phones are developed the same way previous pixels have been.

Nexus 5 hardware was seriously ahead of the curve though. Nobody other than LG had an 800 device.

Pixel hardware seems to be just a slightly better version of what everyone else already released this year. So the longer they take to release the closer we get to next year's 830.

This is a good point.

Furyous

I understand that hardware companies want to spend more time talking about their hardware, but all these launches feel lobotomized without a proper discussion of the software driving their devices. Tell me about your implementation of Android. Tell me why you think it’s okay to launch a phone without the latest software. Reassure me that I won’t be left behind the way that many 2014 Android flagships already have been, and explain to your users why they don't need smarter multitasking, improved notifications, and baked-in VR support. Yes, those are harder issues to discuss, but dodging them is what makes customers untrusting of Android manufacturers.

It also makes things too easy for Apple. In less than a week’s time, the Californian company is going to launch its new iPhones, which will run its latest iOS software and will be the absolute best way to experience it. What would Apple’s dream scenario be in that case? A bunch of Android OEMs blithely talking about how they invented their own split-screen (hi, Nubia!) instead of implementing the latest Android software and getting that benefit directly. Fractious uncertainly instead of solid, predictable quality.

At the end of this month, Apple’s iPhones and their spit-shined new software, will go up against a litany of admittedly pretty, admittedly high-spec Android devices that are nevertheless serving up Marshmallow in the age of Nougat. I love the design of Sony’s new Xperias almost as much as I hate the outdated software on them. Marshmallow isn't in itself bad, but it's no longer either the latest or greatest from Google. Why should I spend money on a new device with less than the best available software? And what sort of confidence does that inspire in the purchaser of an expensive new smartphone for the future?

Protome

Though it makes me wonder why change the name then? Especially given it seems the phones are developed the same way previous pixels have been.

I'd assume because the Nexus numbering convention got pretty stupid and this gives them a fresh start on naming.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

This is a good point.

That's also why the price deal is so big.

If they were first out the gate the high price is more reasonably justified.

Instead they switched with the 6P to being at the tail end of the cycle.

So your not only waiting for a Nexus your waiting for a Nexus that has similarish specs to what is already out there. Before they had a price advantage though. 6P was only $499 out the gate vs $700 for Samsung, LG, HTC ect...

Now it appears the Pixels are gonna lose the baked in cheaper pricing.

I bought the nexus 5 at launch and sold it for a $650 moto x shortly after.

The 5 may have had the latest and greatest chipset which Google has no control of Qualcomms schedule btw. But that $350 starting price had its drawbacks. Dirt cheap hollow construction, tinny ass speakers and a GPS that never locked.

The 2013 Moto X was a much better experience at the time.

Google is not going to have a cutting edge CPU in their phones unless someone moves their release schedule or Google makes their own chips.

LeleSocho

Banned

And i would like to add, OEMs should instead try to double down on software instead pretending it doesn't exist, but not because they don't have the newest 0.0001 version of the OS but because everyone is going to be lapped a second time in day to day performance by the iPhone.
The 6S/6S Plus a phone from 2015 is faster than essentially every Android phone released this year and in less than a week Apple is going to release a new one that will be even faster.
I think it's totally ok to not have the latest OS because sincerely whatever you are using Lollipop or Nougat the difference really is negligible, just make sure to make the phone snappier, faster and more optimized regardless of the version you are on.

Jeffrey

I understand that hardware companies want to spend more time talking about their hardware, but all these launches feel lobotomized without a proper discussion of the software driving their devices. Tell me about your implementation of Android. Tell me why you think it’s okay to launch a phone without the latest software. Reassure me that I won’t be left behind the way that many 2014 Android flagships already have been, and explain to your users why they don't need smarter multitasking, improved notifications, and baked-in VR support. Yes, those are harder issues to discuss, but dodging them is what makes customers untrusting of Android manufacturers.

It also makes things too easy for Apple. In less than a week’s time, the Californian company is going to launch its new iPhones, which will run its latest iOS software and will be the absolute best way to experience it. What would Apple’s dream scenario be in that case? A bunch of Android OEMs blithely talking about how they invented their own split-screen (hi, Nubia!) instead of implementing the latest Android software and getting that benefit directly. Fractious uncertainly instead of solid, predictable quality.

At the end of this month, Apple’s iPhones and their spit-shined new software, will go up against a litany of admittedly pretty, admittedly high-spec Android devices that are nevertheless serving up Marshmallow in the age of Nougat. I love the design of Sony’s new Xperias almost as much as I hate the outdated software on them. Marshmallow isn't in itself bad, but it's no longer either the latest or greatest from Google. Why should I spend money on a new device with less than the best available software? And what sort of confidence does that inspire in the purchaser of an expensive new smartphone for the future?

I'm actually curious about this aspect. Wonder if theres ever been studies done about how much the average consumer gives a crap about new features and updates, or would they be more annoyed that their phone behave slightly different than before.

On android the 'power users' will always have the Nexus/pixel if you love them updates.

RuGalz

I'm actually curious about this aspect. Wonder if theres ever been studies done about how much the average consumer gives a crap about new features and updates, or would they be more annoyed that their phone behave slightly different than before.

On android the 'power users' will always have the Nexus/pixel if you love them updates.

Average users don't give a crap about updates. They barely know what's new in the updates let along actually wanting or utilizing any new feature. It's just recently that some start to have awareness of the importance to get security update asap due to more recent security holes on the iOS and mainstream media outlets pushing that knowledge through. For most of the users, if an update comes, they may install it whenever but to actually learn what the new features are -- that's geek thing. Android OEMs can try to educate people what new features they have that stand above the others but that's a lot of money to spend for minimum return hence everyone just focus on the spec sheet -- name recognition outweighs just about everything then it's the external hardware design then it's the software to an average user imo.

Anyone else cautiously optimistic for the v20? I mean i have my v10 and im using a moto force z but the lack of 3mm jack and missing the DAC in the v10 has me missing the v10.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Anyone else cautiously optimistic for the v20? I mean i have my v10 and im using a moto force z but the lack of 3mm jack and missing the DAC in the v10 has me missing the v10.

Me

H2 2016 is looking grim, aside from the V20 and (sigh)...Pixel/XL. Huawei's greatest won't come to the US, and Sony..you know. Hoping for a blue color!

Love how 4 year old features and nonexistent ones to be added in the future, maybe, are 'the latest version' to this ignoramus.

Android is not iOS. OEM developers push AOSP ahead. Look at how many OEM features get added to AOSP. Android is where it's at because of the rapid and imaginative progression brought forth by the dev base.

What that fool seems to want is Windows Mobile Phone 10.

clav

Either probably has to do something with the charging system or the batteries expanding and thus catching on fire in a sealed shut container when the weather is hot.

Top Bottom