• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

reKon

Banned
So now that I have confirmed that the bloated bluestacks app actually runs all the Android games I want well, I guess there's really no need for me to purchase Android tablet. 90% of my use was for internet browsing and streaming. The Edge browser slays everything else on Android and iOS in terms of web browsing experience. Windows 10 update brought extensions so to the browser and I'm already using a few of them.

I've also learned how scalable Starcraft II is on not powerful PCs. I run this shit at 60 FPS with a decent resolution on all low and 30-40 FPS on a lower res with. This game is better than every game on both app stores.

Counter-Strike:Go you can get to 60 FPS too with medium settings if you set the resolution right.

This is only on a Core M3 w/ 4 GB of ram.

Sounds like a win to me.

Btw has anyone here used the Android emulator LeapFrog and can share their experience with it?

Jeffrey

seems to be related to a faulty usb-c port or something.

Which means that a faulty note 7 could burn up inside a Gear VR with the charger plugged in.

Just imagine playing some VR lava game and feel the heat thinking its immersion until oh my god.

Jeffrey

Hey now, note 7 might be prone to scratches and shattering and exploding and slow performance, but I never said it ain't sexy!

Chris R

Damn power button is acting up again on my phone :( Installed Gravity screen and need to start doing some serious research so I can replace my phone with the new Pixel or with something else in a month.

Priz

seems to be related to a faulty usb-c port or something.

Which means that a faulty note 7 could burn up inside a Gear VR with the charger plugged in.

Just imagine playing some VR lava game and feel the heat thinking its immersion until oh my god.
Now you have me thinking of this game - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6992PRpn4k

Hope this all gets sorted out easily/quickly... I wished all the Type C issues and cable problems get resolved, it sucks how many there are... (thinking of all the Benson Leung stuff, HTC 10 w/Pixel charger issue, QC 3.0 stuff...)

Sprint Note 7 customers have three options:

1) Customers can replace their current Galaxy Note 7 with a new one when stock becomes available.
2) Customers also have the choice of immediately exchanging their device for a Samsung Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 Edge; this includes replacement of any Note 7 accessories with a refund for any price difference between devices.
3) Sprint will allow customers to exchange their Note 7 for any Sprint device and will reimburse any price differences and waive any restocking and shipping fees.

Sprint customers should visit the store where they purchased their Note 7 and a Sprint team member will gladly help customers get up and running with their new device on the Sprint network. Sprint Note 7 customers can also call 1-800-SPRINT1 for information on how to exchange their device.

As a gesture of appreciation, Samsung is offering customers a $25 gift card at Sprint retail outlets when choosing a Galaxy S7 family device or the Galaxy Note 7 within the exchange program.

oh, wait, hold up, so i get a new Note 7 *and* a $25 gift card? guess i ordered at the right time!

Jeffrey

Are there any caveats? Can you drop your note 7 the day before you return it and bust the screen and they still have to honor it?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
oh, wait, hold up, so i get a new Note 7 *and* a $25 gift card? guess i ordered at the right time!
Can't be mad at that. That's a sweet deal. Congrats. The new Sony phone looks better to hold, though.

Kind of thinking about getting a OnePlus 3 when they come back in decent supply. I don't think I want to pay what the Pixel will probably cost and I feel like if every Android OEM with maybe an exception to Google has crap customer support I don't know what else I would hold against OnePlus.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Kind of thinking about getting a OnePlus 3 when they come back in decent supply. I don't think I want to pay what the Pixel will probably cost and I feel like if every Android OEM with maybe an exception to Google has crap customer support I don't know what else I would hold against OnePlus.
I still don't see why you wouldn't just wait for the Pixel details to come out, unless you need a phone asap.

I still don't see why you wouldn't just wait for the Pixel details to come out, unless you need a phone asap.
I really don't. I'm just so antsy for a new phone. Waiting makes the most sense though and according to their website the latest shipping dates are September 21st I will probably be waiting anyway.

Can't be mad at that. That's a sweet deal. Congrats. The new Sony phone looks better to hold, though.

who was it that said return it?!?

yeah, i will return it... when they get new ones in stock.

and get a $25 gift card

wonder if they let me keep all the accessories too so i can have 2x chargers and 2x earbuds.

Bboy AJ

who was it that said return it?!?

yeah, i will return it... when they get new ones in stock.

and get a $25 gift card

wonder if they let me keep all the accessories too so i can have 2x chargers and 2x earbuds.
You had me convinced you made out like a bandit until you mentioned the shitty fucking 3.5mm earbuds.

Have 2x free typewriters!

Skux

"Pixel" sounds like a fairy is going to sprinkle magical dust on me. It doesn't have the same all-encompassing boldness of words like Nexus or Galaxy.

Bboy AJ

"Pixel" sounds like a fairy is going to sprinkle magical dust on me. It doesn't have the same all-encompassing boldness of words like Nexus or Galaxy.
Sounds less nerdy than Nexus or Galaxy. But still nerdy. It should have been Fetch.

Protome

I feel like using an iPhone for the past couple of years has changed me for the worse. I'm due an upgrade from October and I'm probably going to get the Xperia XZ largely because it's the android phone I like the look of the most rather than getting something like a Samsung because its probably a better phone or whatever the new Nexus is because a stock android phone is always handy for work.

It's not the sensible option and it'll probably cost a lot... But it's a real pretty monolith.

Picked up an Honor 8 at best buy, some mini impressions.

1. The glass on the back looks awesome in light but fuck does it get dirrty.

2. Fingerprint sensor is fast but OP3 has it beat, shortcuts via the scanners button are cool but nothing game changing i prefer front scanners.

3. For non graphic intensive stuff this Kirin is no joke this phone flies, but chrome is smoother on my OP3.

4. Emui isn't that bad, it hasn't done anything to make me hate using the phone. Yeah it has quirks but nothing too bad for me so far. emui 5 looks like it'll make it look like an actual Android device so that's good at least.

5. The size is perfect, easily one hand-able.

6. haven't had good enough lighting to play with the camera but it's fast to open and fast to take photos is semi dark light.

7. bottom speaker is OK but nothing great.

8. As far as battery goes, I charged it to 100% for the first time overnight and I'm at 98% with 25mins of screen on time at half brightness in performance mode which means I'm in pace for like 20hrs of SOT so eat that Moto Z Play!!!

Overall it's a really nice phone for the price, if size is a big selling point than its worth the 400. It's fast as hell and emui isn't too bad if you can get over its iOS look.

Update: as soon as I got off Wifi the battery tanked 79% with one hour of screen on time.

Android Central said:
What's fascinating about this demonstration is the cherry picking. Samsung's software is far from perfect; in fact, after uninstalling 13 apps from my shiny new Verizon Note 7 and finding eight more that I can't disable I kind of want to smash mine with a hammer right now. Sitting that phone next to my freshly Nougat-filled Nexus 6P, there are absolutely aspects of this Note 7 that are demonstrably faster. The camera, for example, routinely launches a full second faster. It wouldn't be difficult to cherry pick half a dozen examples, GIF them up, and write something that looks like evidence of how superior the Note 7 is to the Nexus 6P.

http://www.androidcentral.com/note-7-benchmarks-and-nerds-who-love-hate-them

My S7e charges pretty fast with the official fast wireless charge.
IIRC from 50% to 100% in about 1hr

i'd say we agree on the numbers, i just think 30% slower than fast wired is decent. i'm forcing myself to use the wireless charger for a while to see how it goes...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My G3 stopped reading my sim even though it works in other phones. Guess I'm fucked, and I have to pull the trigger.

Top Bottom