• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

Still waiting for someone to make the ultimate benchmark phone.

because apple fanboys are gonna be insufferable if the iphone 7+ rumor specs are to be believed (A10, 3gb ram).

Has there ever been an android phone that was better performing than the iphone of that year?

because apple fanboys are gonna be insufferable if the iphone 7+ rumor specs are to be believed (A10, 3gb ram).

Has there ever been an android phone that was better performing than the iphone of that year?

Pure performance? I don't know... closed system iOS allows for pretty streamlined applications.

Jeffrey

Pure performance? I don't know... closed system iOS allows for pretty streamlined applications.

I feel like someone still gotta be able to brute force this on the android side, at least for their own stock apps.

Thinking about Samsung or Huawei, folks that do their own inhouse processors.

I do kinda miss the competition android makers have against apple. In the past there was way more dick waving, now the only thing is a wimper about maybe a better camera sensor?

Maybe its cause the 6S family is pretty much the 'perfect' iphone atm in terms of performance, camera, etc.

Although this fall, expect new ads from samsung, LG, HTC etc about how their flagship phones got headphone jacks lol.

Everyone says that apple makes their move, headphone jacks will be gone period, but until usb-c headphone specs are standardized, headphone jacks will still be around.

And there will always be midrange or crazy chinese flagships with it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My G3 stopped reading my sim even though it works in other phones. Guess I'm fucked, and I have to pull the trigger.
Pulling the trigger now would be the absolute worst thing you could do. This is the worst time to get a phone. Pick up a cheap $60 Blu phone and wait it out.

Mindwipe

I'm at IFA.

The Huawei P9 looks pretty bloody nice in blue. The camera is still better enough than the Nova I'd rather have the P9. The tablet is pretty nice though.

The Xperia Compact is pretty disappointing. Very nice to hold in hand but the bottom bezel makes it hard to type, and the camera isn't good enough. The screen feels bad in the company of the other devices too.

The Axon 7 mini isn't appreciably smaller than the bigger set which is quite considerably better. First time I'd had a go with the full sized one, it really is pretty nice.

Grundig had some Android TVs, and Vestel a set-top box including a tuner.

There are a lot standalone VR headsets here. Some of them surprisingly good.

Also someone literally made a flying Portal machine gun drone that will kill us all.

Jeffrey

Blue is nice on phones. Heck even iPhone is on that train now which means every phone will have a blue option next year. Sweet.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pixel phones will have the same camera as Nexus 5X/6P but with OIS. Skip year.

The Nexus 5X/6P had one of the best camera's on the market last year and they still do this year. I would personally say it was the 2nd best camera last year with the S6/Note 5 taking the top spot. It will be incredible this year with OIS and improved software tweaks which I imagine Google has been hard at work on.

I feel like the top three camera's this year will be the S7/S7 Edge/Note 7, the iPhone 7 Plus, and Pixel/Pixel XL. Hard to say what position each one will fill though.

Bboy AJ

Where did we even get that the 6P camera is gonna be reused for the Pixel?

Do we have links?
I said so. That should be enough. But here https://twitter.com/LlabTooFeR/status/771719980236800001

Probably going to skip this year for once. It'll be the first Google phone release I skip since the Nexus S, which was the absolute worst Nexus phone ever released. Probably get the tenth anniversary iPhone then, if it's as beast as everyone predicts.

So I was thinking. I wonder if moving forward Google will abandon focusing on "Stock" Android feature-wise and instead focus the efforts towards their new launcher for the Pixel Phones. Realistically speaking only Google is using stock Android for the Nexus devices and they are going extinct. What if they instead decide to keep the new exciting features restricted to their own launcher/experience?

My thought process is they will continue to develop Android with OS improvements and quality of life things, but any major features will instead be integrated with their own skin. If they did something like that maybe it would force OEM's to adopt Google's rules in order to use said skin, which in turn could potentially alleviate the software issues Android has due to OEM's bloating devices and carriers gutting them as they please. It could also potentially solve updating issues because Google could maybe update the launcher/skin itself without intervention from carriers.

Jeffrey

haven't features tied to the 'pixel launcher' would be pretty lame though, and I don't think launchers can do that much.

haven't features tied to the 'pixel launcher' would be pretty lame though, and I don't think launchers can do that much.
Launcher might be the wrong word. I'm thinking more of a Launcher/Skin that would be in concept similar to TouchWiz or another OEM skin in the sense that it is significantly different than what the stock OS offers.

Because of the nature of Android, it's almost impossible to make an Android device which performs better than the iOS device that same year or even the previous year.

CronoShot

So I was looking around on Best Buy's site and I noticed a store near me has the gray Axon 7 available. I already had a $75 gift card, so I couldn't resist.

Asgaro

What sorcery is this? You can change your nav bar without root?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.damianpiwowarski.navbarapps

edit: Well, it's not full theming capability. Full theming like Sony and Samsung do, allows for changing the nav bar buttons.

Lue-BVrdCcbUMk5XHJE1y7pSY_vIcf_Re8z-_7booJQ-j6qfF2CYK3uhMmZs3qOZRLQ=h900-rw

No Love

Banned
So I was looking around on Best Buy's site and I noticed a store near me has the gray Axon 7 available. I already had a $75 gift card, so I couldn't resist.

Great pickup. Just noticed a bunch of stores near me have them too.

If anyone on GAF needs an Axon 7 and can't get it, I will pick it up and ship it to you.

Moreche

I've been using my One Plus 3 for over a month now after using iPhones for over five years and I honestly can't see myself going back to them ever again.
For me it's all about the price more than the experience now, I don't miss iMessage and used FaceTime about ten times. I also don't see what people mean about android jank, I just don't see or experience it at all.
I'm loving using the different icon packs, not have to use swipe to unlock and also having a clean screen with everything in an app drawer.
Such an amazing phone for the price.

Noema

Suddenly battery life on my N6 just took a nosedive. Which is weird since nothing really changed; I've been running Nougat DP5 since mid-July and I'd been getting over 5h SoT.

The culprit is Android System, which has caused my screen-on drain to skyrocket. For two days in a row Android system has consistently been draining more battery than Screen and that's really worrying. I can literally see my battery drain by the minute, and the phone gets really hot to boot. It's so frustrating to try and diagnose this sort of problems.

Interestingly stand-by battery drain is fine. Phone is dozing normally and I get less than 1% idle drain per hour. I tried wiping Cache and ART/Dalvik but that didn't help.

The final release of Nougat can't come soon enough,

kharma45

Succumbed to the inevitable LG G4 bootloop. Now to push Vodafone for a refund rather than a repair.

Glad I've a 6S Plus as a work phone I can use in the meantime. Got WhatsApp set up with my personal number on it so isn't too bad a situation.

9 months the G4 lasted. Not great.

I've been using my One Plus 3 for over a month now after using iPhones for over five years and I honestly can't see myself going back to them ever again.
For me it's all about the price more than the experience now, I don't miss iMessage and used FaceTime about ten times. I also don't see what people mean about android jank, I just don't see or experience it at all.
I'm loving using the different icon packs, not have to use swipe to unlock and also having a clean screen with everything in an app drawer.
Such an amazing phone for the price.

You don't have to swipe to unlock with the iPhone either.

OP3 is decent hardware. Pray you never have an issue as their support is awful. I also don't like where they're taking their software either merging oxygen and hydrogen OS.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Succumbed to the inevitable LG G4 bootloop. Now to push Vodafone for a refund rather than a repair.

Glad I've a 6S Plus as a work phone I can use in the meantime. Got WhatsApp set up with my personal number on it so isn't too bad a situation.

9 months the G4 lasted. Not great.

Good thing that phone wasn't a huge seller. The best thing I can say is that LG made the repair process relatively painless and I got a working phone back. Which I promptly sold.

kharma45

Good thing that phone wasn't a huge seller. The best thing I can say is that LG made the repair process relatively painless and I got a working phone back. Which I promptly sold.

LG for some here have stopped repairing them and have given out the G5 to replace it. If they do that I'd take it. I just don't want a repair as it's a flaw that affects all G4's.

hmm, maybe it's something with nougat then. i'm also wondering whether it's related to night mode or not. do you use night mode?

I've only used it twice since I got the app but it's still bad. Like everything will be turned off and yet, it will just die. I didn't buy the extended warranty with this phone either so I guess at this point, I'm going to have to buy the new pixel if this doesn't work out..

Agent

Soon as my 6p hits around 15% it just shuts itself off. Damnit

Mine does the same thing since installing the Nougat beta and it hasn't changed with the full release. It never happened before, so I'm guessing it is an Android N issue and not a battery issue.

Mine does it at 10% most of the time. Even when I plug it in and reboot the phone, it starts charging at the % it shutdown at and not 0%.

Dobsie

Battery life on N is shit, reverted to dp5 which I was getting good battery on before I upgraded it to the final release. Now the battery on dp5 is still crap, android OS/system top of the chart. Think I'm going to revert to MM

Soon as my 6p hits around 15% it just shuts itself off. Damnit

Mine does the same thing since installing the Nougat beta and it hasn't changed with the full release. It never happened before, so I'm guessing it is an Android N issue and not a battery issue.

Mine does it at 10% most of the time. Even when I plug it in and reboot the phone, it starts charging at the % it shutdown at and not 0%.

Battery life on N is shit, reverted to dp5 which I was getting good battery on before I upgraded it to the final release. Now the battery on dp5 is still crap, android OS/system top of the chart. Think I'm going to revert to MM
I'm glad I didn't update my 6P to Nougat yet. My Moto X 2014 used to do the same crap at 10-15%.

thuway

Charge to 100, download battery calibrator and run it, decharge to 0, turn on, decharge to 0, and than finally charge back to 100.

If that doesn't work, I dunno mang.

Groof

I've only used it twice since I got the app but it's still bad. Like everything will be turned off and yet, it will just die. I didn't buy the extended warranty with this phone either so I guess at this point, I'm going to have to buy the new pixel if this doesn't work out..

yo so good to know i'm not alone in this. let's try and figure this out together.
i shut off the automatic night mode and today my SoT has been normal for once, battery life seems better. gonna leave it off and see over the next week if it does a difference.

Mindwipe

A few posts on Reddit suggest it's sync errors, try looking for them under accounts and disabling/re-enabling to fix.

Top Bottom